The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

Soul - Sielun syövereissä | Soul (2020) - arvostelu

Honestly, a 10/10 movie for me. 

I can't really explain but this movie had such a big impact on me.

I didn't watch the trailer of the movie but I thought "huh another pixar movie, probably worth watching!"

But I was definitely not prepared for this emotional journey, really, I can't recommend this movie enough. Such a great message. 

Edited by Lillia
  • Like 2

On 2021-04-03 at 11:58 AM, Kristen Danielle said:

I watched this yesterday for Good Friday. It's still extremely difficult to watch due to the brutality of it, but it's also incredibly accurate and well-acted.

May be an image of text that says 'MEL GIBSON FILM THE PASSION HECHRIST OFTHECHRIST JIM CAVIEZEL'

The next ones I'd like to watch are Public Enemies, Black Mass, and Murder on the Orient Express.

Brutal film man, but a great film everyone should see at least once. Mel Gibson is totally underrated as a director in my opinion.

If you haven’t seen some of the other films he’s directed such as Braveheart, Apocalypto, and Hacksaw Ridge, I would highly recommend them as they’re all very entertaining and compelling films.

Also, just to contribute to this thread, last night I watched ‘Casualties of War’, Brian de Palma’s anti-war film about a group of American G.I.s who abduct, rape, and kill a young Vietnamese woman during the war and are eventually made to answer for the crime. The film is based on a true story of ‘the incident on Hill 192’ that was reported by The New Yorker during the war.

JF706IW.jpg

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

Brutal film man, but a great film everyone should see at least once. Mel Gibson is totally underrated as a director in my opinion.

If you haven’t seen some of the other films he’s directed such as Braveheart, Apocalypto, and Hacksaw Ridge, I would highly recommend them as they’re all very entertaining and compelling films.

Also, just to contribute to this thread, last night I watched ‘Casualties of War’, Brian de Palma’s anti-war film about a group of American G.I.s who abduct, rape, and kill a young Vietnamese woman during the war and are eventually made to answer for the crime. The film is based on a true story of ‘the incident on Hill 192’ that was reported by The New Yorker during the war.

JF706IW.jpg

It really is and yes, Mel Gibson is great as a director. There was a behind the scenes photo from the film where Jim Caviezel is in costume as Jesus and is absolutely covered in blood and he's sitting there listening to Mel give him directions on a scene. It made the rounds in the Christian community as an incredible visual illustration of the way Jesus, despite what He went through, patiently sits with us and listens to us voice our concerns and first-world problems. I really loved it.

Also, for the anti-war one, war is naturally brutal and crap happens, but what those men did is absolutely atrocious and unacceptable. I really wish the modern US military would focus their efforts on taking down corrupt members like them instead of punishing our guys for defending helpless children over there. There was a very prominent case a few years back where, while in Iraq or Afghanistan (I don't remember which), an US Marine witnessed with his own eyes a Jihadist fighter sexually abusing a very young little boy. He stopped the attack on the poor child by beating the crap out of the assailant with his fists only and was then court-martialed for "breaking the rules of engagement." He was told by his superiors that child rape was "their culture" and that he was not allowed to interfere. There is no "culture" in child abuse and I highly doubt any Muslim people would want to be associated with it.

THE TRUMAN SHOW â JIM CARREY â Imported Movie Wall Poster Print â 30CM X  43CM: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Just watched the Truman show last night; I'd heard about it for most of my life but never got to watching it despite being a big fan of Jim Carrey for most of my life - though watching Ace Ventura last year (and his defense of it) has made my interest in him more lukewarm as of late. Anyway, this movie was fantastic; absolutely fantastic writing and it's easy to interpret the plot as being a metanarrative of questioning society, or if you want to delve down more occultic pathways, reality itself. The timing of me watching this movie as well was extremely synchronous; I'd just been talking about similar subject matter so the quote, "We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented" stood out to me. People have compared it to the Matrix, and while the subject matter is similar, it's an entirely different take on it. Definitely the best Jim Carrey film I've seen, and one of the few that doesn't simply use him as mindless entertainment.

Currently free on Youtube (with ads) which is how I finally ended up watching it.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Kristen Danielle said:

It really is and yes, Mel Gibson is great as a director. There was a behind the scenes photo from the film where Jim Caviezel is in costume as Jesus and is absolutely covered in blood and he's sitting there listening to Mel give him directions on a scene. It made the rounds in the Christian community as an incredible visual illustration of the way Jesus, despite what He went through, patiently sits with us and listens to us voice our concerns and first-world problems. I really loved it.

Also, for the anti-war one, war is naturally brutal and crap happens, but what those men did is absolutely atrocious and unacceptable. I really wish the modern US military would focus their efforts on taking down corrupt members like them instead of punishing our guys for defending helpless children over there. There was a very prominent case a few years back where, while in Iraq or Afghanistan (I don't remember which), an US Marine witnessed with his own eyes a Jihadist fighter sexually abusing a very young little boy. He stopped the attack on the poor child by beating the crap out of the assailant with his fists only and was then court-martialed for "breaking the rules of engagement." He was told by his superiors that child rape was "their culture" and that he was not allowed to interfere. There is no "culture" in child abuse and I highly doubt any Muslim people would want to be associated with it.

That’s a cool story! I’ve never really been a believer myself, at least not in the way God and the concepts of heaven/hell are framed through man-made religions. But I love history, and Jesus of Nazareth is one of the most revered and mystical historical figures in human history, and his life and trials form the basis for the largest religion on earth. I think everyone should see this film because it’s a very gripping and eye opening account of the unimaginable cruelty and suffering he endured in the final hours of his life, and his teachings which inspired millions and spread around the globe.

I’m a big fan of war films as well, but I find the rare anti-war movies that come out particularly interesting, the ones that make controversial statements on the nature of warfare and the unintended consequences it has. As a non-American, it has never escaped my notice the weird, cultural reverence Americans have for their military. It’s a kind of propaganda and brainwashing that exists deep in the fabric of American culture, and manifests itself in national pride and celebration. Because of this, the majority of movies produced in Hollywood about war focus on positives topics like heroism, sacrifice, brotherhood etc. and ignore the grisly reality and consequences of war, especially the conflicts that the U.S. military really has no business being apart of (ex. Vietnam or Iraq). A lot of people have a really warped perspective of history too because of these types of movies that always frame America as the shining hero to the rest of the world.

One of the more interesting aspects of Casualties of War was the resistance Michael J Fox’s character faces from his superiors and military leaders as he tries to report the horrifying things he saw his fellow soldiers do in the bush. He faces a lot of resistance, endures threats on his life from his men, and official attempts to bury the story or brush the young woman’s life off as a mere casualty of war because they are more worried about sullying the reputation of the U.S. military than they are about finding justice for the innocent girl who was murdered by their own troops.

It's not the most "punk rock" punk rock movie ever. Hell, it's not even the most punk rock movie in the director's filmography. It is, however, my absolute favorite punk movie, because the life of a repo man is always intense.

295d5b2047c610ab29a34bc10b46a64e.jpg

Edited by nyarLOLhotep
  • Like 1