Mio

The Last Movie You Saw?

10,809 posts in this topic

images_2019_cine_Spider-Man_Into_the_Spi

An amazing looking movie, with great heroes and villains, funny jokes and fast-paced action.

Once again, Phil Lord and Chris Miller give us an original story filled with witty humor and clever references, that actually takes some risks. The cinematography is also stunning and highly creative. The innovative art style, great music and sound effects all contribute for the success of the film.

The voice cast is wonderful all-around, but Jake Johnson's burned out Peter Parker and Mahershala Ali's villainous Prowler are two standouts, in my opinion. The former is hilarious and very relatable, the latter is slick and truly terrifying.

After this, it's no wonder Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal are bringing the spider-verse into live action.

A couple of months ago, my girlfriend and I went to see A Quiet Place 2. It was kind of funny when the end of the movie occurred because she blurted out: "What the hell? You're doing that cliffhanger shit again?" Everyone in the movie theater laughed.

26 minutes ago, Colin_Raleigh said:

...my girlfriend and I went to see A Quiet Place 2 (...) she blurted out: "What the hell? You're doing that cliffhanger shit again?"

Isn't the cliffhanger appropriate though?

By the end, Regan completed her mission and helped Emmett regain hope and purpose, while Marcus overcame his fears in order to protect his family.

The final shot of the hearing aid on the microphone is the result of Regan's bravery and also perfectly wraps up the theme of hope.

The movie is about this characters in an extreme situation, not about the situation itself.

Watching random people killing a bunch of aliens wouldn't make the movie any better.

The story isn't as special as the first one but, for what it is, I consider the resolution pretty satisfying.

18 hours ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Isn't the cliffhanger appropriate though?

By the end, Regan completed her mission and helped Emmett regain hope and purpose, while Marcus overcame his fears in order to protect his family.

The final shot of the hearing aid on the microphone is the result of Regan's bravery and also perfectly wraps up the theme of hope.

The movie is about this characters in an extreme situation, not about the situation itself.

Watching random people killing a bunch of aliens wouldn't make the movie any better.

The story isn't as special as the first one but, for what it is, I consider the resolution pretty satisfying.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely an excellent movie. We just found it surprising that both the original and the sequel ended cliffhanger style. Furthermore, Reagan is a far more believable and convincing badass than Disney Star Wars' Wonder Rey will ever be.

@Colin_Raleigh Hey, I'll respect whatever your opinion is. Movies strike different not only depending on your personal taste, but also on your mood and expectations.

To be honest I didn't really feel contented with the movie. The first film had a "keep quiet or get killed" high concept plot and I had the same expectation for the sequel, but it actually felt a lot like a low concept story where we're just tagging along in a few side quests. Everything felt a little bit loose and I didn't feel very invested in the story.

The script even falls into some tired old tropes like "the humans are the real monsters" and the possibility of an isolated haven.

I'm not even going to discuss how Krasinski dared to reuse the same Deus Ex Machina, just gonna say I don't think this sequel was necessary but, for me, what's really missing is a more interesting journey, not a better ending.

And you're absolutely right about Regan. Her vulnerability is what makes her courage stand out and turns her into a compelling character (unlike a certain Mary Sue in a galaxy far, far away).

image_1f14524a.jpeg?region=0,0,1800,776

A well put together movie with great action sequences. It's just too damn long.

It's a shame the movie wastes a big chunk of its runtime course correcting the bad decisions of the first instalment by bringing people back from the dead and trying to clear the lead's reputation. Apart from that, it's a fun and crazy ride just like its predecessor.

The franchise's lore and bonkers set pieces remain highly entertaining. I enjoyed it.

HS902102_poster_1920_1080.JPG

Saw this in the cinema last night, for the film's 30th anniversary.  I also saw it there on August 29th 2017, for the 20th anniversary of Judgment Day. :D

Went with a friend who had never seen T2 before....

dont-breath-second-chapter-main-poster.j

I had low expectations going into this movie, but I actually came out pleasently surprised.

It's not by any means as good as the first film, and the decision to make this horrible man an antihero is somewhat questionable, but Stephen Lang kicks ass as The Blind Man and it is pretty satisfying watching him deliver punishment to some genuinely bad guys for a change.

The first half of the movie is definitely stronger, with a home invasion that - stylistically - takes a lot of notes from David Fincher's Pacic Room. The latter half looks more like an early 2000's slasher flick where you can see the plot twist coming a mile away, but it still manages to be quite fun.

A nice watch overall.

tombraiderresenhacriticafilmeaorigemblog

This movie could have used a better story and a little more action but Alicia Vikander made it worthwhile. She has the physicality, the charm, and it obviously doesn't hurt that she's a great actress.

Now that I've watched this I'm hoping a sequel with a better script comes to fruition in the near future. I'd really like to see more of Vikander as Miss Croft.

36507827_1280x800.jpg

A very well directed blend of comedy and crime mystery with loads of twists, fake-outs, dark humor and meta jokes.

The story and dialogue are clever and funny and the whole cast is fantastic, especially Rachel McAdams who - once again - proves she's great at comedy.

An awesome piece of escapism.

E9MLIE9.png

Getting back to writing short reviews for stuff I'm seeing onwards, feel free to drop a follow here if you think my take on film is worth noting.

Also watched Inu-Oh and Drive My Car at TIFF21, don't expect me to watch much else from the festival.

Edited by Crzy Minus

b8xmvy8.jpg

Finally watched this one and its just not the same without Ron Perlman. The part doesnt suit David Harbour very well. Was a decent waste of time but it is hard to get over the switch in actors. 

Mars-Attacks--tim-burton-169235_800_600.

Not as good as I remembered it being, but it's still a fun watch that's worth seeing. Currently available for streaming on Netflix (in the US anyway). $4 rental everywhere else.

Toy Story 4, my nieces and nephews watch Disney+ allll the time.