The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

sputnik_ver2.jpg

Surprisingly decent Russian-language film that's available on Hulu. The only reason I use the word "surprisingly" is because the vast majority of horror or sci-fi films on Hulu tend to be pretty disappointing. Check it out if you're a fan of the genre & don't mind subtitles.

Also available to rent through multiple sources, and for pretty cheap too.

• Like 3

E8F63014-5188-4A52-9832-2D6D981FD519.jpe

To be fair, between The Truman Show, The Lego Movie and Ready Player One there isn't much novelty in this movie's plot, but I still had a great time watching it. There are lots of funny situations, cool references and unexpected cameos to look out for that make it really entertaining.

Ryan Reynolds plays the role with his usual blend of comedy and heart and Jodie Comer demonstrates she has a lot of range and is someone to keep an eye on beyond her great Killing Eve performance.

Great dumb fun.

• Like 3

3e5b25fb477ac247c86334a210116934.jpg

This one is definitely going into Shyamalan's cringe collection.

In many ways it's like watching The Happening for the first time: the premise is mildly interesting, you get somewhat invested, but you can't stop noticing characters don't talk or act like normal human beings and the movie delves into uninteresting and irrelevant minutiae while sidestepping a few opportunities to focus on more meaningful concepts.

Shyamalan doesn't even deliver in terms of cinematography. The editing is jarring and the camera work is pretentious, distracting and downright dumb.

The worst part is watching competent actors performing like amateurs under Shyamalan's self-indulgent direction.

Barely watchable, yet fascinating.

• Like 3

Color_Out_of_Space_(2019)_poster.jpg

Color out of Space (7/10)

There was a lot I liked in Color out of space, the moody opening, the contrast between the horror and the beauty of the cosmic terror was especially nice also, even if some of the cgi felt really cheap. I know many hated it because it rips off too much from other horror movies, I for one did not care about that. I also feel like it could have easily been shorter than 1 hour and 50 minutes.

• Like 2

I re-watched The Prince of Egypt! 

The Prince of Egypt - Wikipedia

1000/10 movie for me. 

It's been years since I last watched this movie so I forgot a lot of details but damn, re-watching it was an experience. 

I can't recommend this movie enough it's so emotional. You don't even have to be religious to enjoy this movie. (I'm atheist myself) 

The soundtrack, the animation, the visuals, everything in this movie is simply breathtaking. 

Edited by Lillia
  • Like 2

936full-cold-fish-poster.jpg

Directed by Sion Sono.

Good movie, even if the ending was a tad bit over-the-top.

---

image0.jpg

As for Cruella...

Pros
-Basic structure of her origin story is well thought.
-Decent soundtrack.
-HDR ideally complements Cruella’s visual signature and the glitzy.
-Good fashion

Cons
-Movie comes off as insecure in genuinely showing Cruella’s famed cruelty and tries to smokescreen this.
-Heavy exposition structure at the beginning which Disney must have mandated to make the film palatable for general audience.

image.jpg

Strongly recommend Amélie.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 3

Free Guy

Definitely would just rewatch The Truman Show over this. I enjoyed some of the elements, and it definitely has that Ready Player One ‘Oh, look! It’s a reference to that thing!’

I didn’t enjoy Taika Watiti’s character in this, which when I initially saw him I figured I would’ve the 3rd Act lost me quite a bit and some of the real world elements just didn’t land.

Really great CGI and since I watched it for “free” (Disney+) I definitely enjoyed it more than if I would’ve headed to the movie theatre.

• Like 2

Halloween_(2018)_poster.jpg

Halloween (2018) - 6/10

Solid entry in the franchise but nothing more, still way better than the Rob Zombie revival. Jamie Lee Curtis does a good job with the material she is given, also I liked the way the director filmed some scenes where the viewer needed to pay attention to what was happening in the background. Overall I did have fun watching it, but there were also weird tonal shifts, and it completely lacks atmosphere. It just feels too mechanical most of the time, it lacks many things that made the original great.

• Like 1

OjNfjMF.jpg

I have been on a horror movie binge lately, finally watched The Orphanage which was great, so was One Cut of the dead, after the 1st 30 minutes I was not sure what the praise was for, but after the 1st acts it truly starts to shine and it was hilarious. Re-animator however I did not like as much as I expected, I know it is considered a cult classic but I found the story and characters pretty lackluster, it did however look good, the whole aesthetic and props.

• Like 4