The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

Watched 2 movies this weekend, the 1st one was Mad God, it's mostly a stop motion animation movie with a couple of scenes featuring real actors. With zero dialog it was mostly a visual experience, I got a mixture of feelings watching it, I was unsettled, disgusted, confused, and even amused for some reason. It was kinda pure madness in a way. But overall, as a movie it was just ok for me.

220px-Mad_God_poster.jpg

The 2nd one was Werewolf by Night, not even sure if this is considered a movie at about 50 minutes. But I had a lot of fun with it, loved the atmosphere, and the main characters were charismatic, would not mind more of this.

250px-Werewolf_by_Night_(TV_special)_pos

• Like 4

Ff3hzzqXwAALZju?format=jpg&name=medium

Jurassic World Dominion

A comprehensive showcase of everything that's wrong with Hollywood right now.

Its few decent moments are complete rip-offs of previous installments, mainly the 1993 film.

The Lost City

Lazy as heck. Terrible jokes. Lame action. And it pains me to see Sandra Bullock not being able to emote from all the botox in her face.

Red Notice

Better than I expected. Dumb fun. Gadot was better than usual, charming, and clearly having a good time while filming this.

Bullet Train

Derivative and mostly uninteresting. Very artificial. They tried to add substance to the plot here and there, but it didn't work for me.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 4

Rocky V (1990)

Well, what can I say about this one? The Rocky series definitely hit rock bottom with this one. Every aspect of the film feels like a cheap cash grab. The plot is dumb, the new characters flat and unlikable and the end is probably one of the most pathetic I've ever seen. Well, I still have one more Rocky movie to go: Rocky Balboa from 2006. Can't wait. ?

rocky-v-5222b4b790f239fdu6.jpg

• Like 1

img_0035wncr2.jpg

Scarface
(1932) & Scarface (1983)

It's been a while since I last saw the 1983 remake of this classic gangster movie. After now watching both movies back to back, I came to the conclusion that the original reigns supreme. Sure, it's difficult to compare movies that were released over 50 years apart from each other. But not in this case. With a running time of 170 minutes, the remake is about 80 minutes longer than the original. Several scenes do not necessarily benefit the movie and could've easily been omitted. The movie feels bloated at times and has some pacing issues. Al Pacino does a great job as Scarface, but he lacks the charme of his 1932 predecessor Paul Muni. Come to think of it, the cast of the original is the main reason why I prefer it over its remake. Paul Muni and Ann Dvorak as his sister Cesca (see image below) just ooze charisma and have an excellent screen presence. I cannot take my eyes off of her whenever she's present. If you only know the overly violent remake, watching the original is an absolute must.

94f64df4485bdbeaa0e6b6merb.png

Edited by El Duderino
  • Like 4

rocky-balboa-58a47aa1hpdyu.jpg

Rocky Balboa (2006)

The final entry in the Rocky series. Much better than the terrible predecessor from 1990, the movie recaptures the sombre tone of the first Rocky movie and brings the series to a worthy and heartwarming end. I expected a terrible flick and was very positively surprised.

• Like 2

Since Halloween is near, I thought about watching some horror movies.

g5SXGkbPj72vdAOMwtMm1ADOcO.jpg

Don't question me, I'm not a big movie or horror fan but after watching this, it's definitely one of the best horror movies I've ever watched.

Ain0S8gNrZVyeiMBaIavk60y2YB.jpg

I mean the first part of the movie has some suspense in it but other than that, it's a pretty awesome action sci-fi but personally not as good as Alien.

• Like 3

MV5BYTRiMWM3MGItNjAxZC00M2E3LThhODgtM2QwOGNmZGU4OWZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Ending October Batmonth (I don't know what to call it really so I will just take a page from Nostalgia Critic's naming scheme) with my favorite animated Batman movie. Like the show itself the movie has excellent animation and a fantastic soundtrack to accompany it. I feel like it's unique because if even one thing from the casting to animation and music were slightly different it wouldn't be as good as it is or at least as memorable. And like The Animated Series itself it's also dark but the movie is a slightly darker tone from the show since there is something of a body count in this with a couple on-screen deaths and straight up showing a smiling corpse at one point that I feel like I remember making me uncomfortable when I saw it as a kid. I also just remember finding the Phantasm creepy in general.

It's a great movie that still holds up well and is also a great origin story for Batman. The soundtrack with the chorus is amazing especially when it plays during my two favorite scenes (first) (second).

• Like 2

FgbiTt5XEAMIHQi?format=jpg&name=medium

While All Quiet On The Western Front doesn't reinvent the war film genre, it definitely serves as a timely reminder of how war destroys the body and corrupts the soul.

High production value movie. And what a powerful performance from actor Felix Kammerer!

I always enjoyed satires. But this is the first time one hits close to home. Don't Look Up's script was very well crafted. I should have watched it earlier, but we've all been watching this movie for a few years anyway.

Loved the performances.

Not all elements in Nope gelled together for me, but I still really liked it. The premise is very cool and the execution is amazing in terms of cinematography and special effects.

On the other hand, I didn't find Us very entertaining as a whole (even though it has a few cool moments), but I really liked how it kept me thinking about the Nature Vs Nurture thing for a while.

I enjoyed watching both but unfortunately neither reaches the originality and level of suspense of Jordan Peele's directorial debut.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2022 at 7:31 PM, Volt104 said:

Sorry but I don't like the Cornetto trilogy .... 

Well, it really is a very different vibe from his most recent movies. 

I'm with you on Baby Driver, awesome flick. I'm saving Soho for when I'm in the right mood though. Will watch it soon, but I don't know if my heart will be able to take Anya Taylor-Joy and Thomasin McKenzie in the same movie.

Please consider watching this video:

Might at least make you appreciate Wright's genius comedy editing style.

A continuation of my horror movie nights.

HjZmlHn.jpg

A fun movie especially since it's an early example of the 'zombie' we know and love or hate.

R8MHH3h.jpg

'David, kill the Queen!'

'What!?'

'The jukebox!'

M6yrM3U.jpg

I thought of watching this as a joke but it was a mistake. I lasted like half of the movie so the slogan is right, I didn't last the night.

• Like 3

star-wars-collection-hhcbd.jpg

Star Wars Episode I-IX
(1977-2019)

I've been watching all nine Star Wars movies over past three days in chronological order, previously only knowing the original trilogy. Well, what can I say? "The Last Jedi" already was a terrible movie, but "The Rise of Skywalker" left me dead inside. This is what happens if talentless hacks without any respect for the legacy given the task to make a movie. Terrible pacing (the first 60 minutes were painful), wooden acting, a plot with more holes than Swiss cheese, poor dialogue, and poor editing make for the single worst big budget film I've ever seen.

I'm usually very generous when it comes to errors in films, given how difficult it is to actually make a movie. But the scene where guys from the Resistance are riding horses on top of a star destroyer while being in space without any means to breathe.. fuck me, I'm out.

spacehorses-rosjae5m.png

Edited by El Duderino
  • Like 3