The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

I don't know if it counts as a movie but it's the same length as an average film so I will post it here anyway.

MV5BMjJjMjEwMWEtZDcyNC00ODM3LThhZDctNTU0YzU1ZjQ1MmIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjg5NDMwMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR94,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Most people on Christmas will say "Let's watch The Grinch" or Elf, A Christmas Story, the stop-motion Christmas films, or even Die Hard depending on how you look at that one. But I am not most people.

I actually saw this over ten years ago because I had heard how bad it was and I remember skipping through it because it wasn't all that entertaining from what I remember. After deciding to watch it again I was able to pay attention to it more. It's basically just about Han trying to get Chewbacca to his loving wife and child that was never mentioned in A New Hope or later films to celebrate Christmas Life Day on Kazook (later retconned to be named Kashyyyk thankfully) but because Han and Chewie are disgusting Rebel Alliance sympathizers they have to avoid the Empire that's hunting them down, completely ruining the plans of a hardworking Stormtrooper or Imperial officers own time to celebrate Life Day with their own families.

Not much in particular happens beyond seeing Chewbacca's family with the controversial decision of having them do their Wookiee grunts and growls with no subtitles but I felt like their motions were at least obvious enough to know what they were trying to say. But there are side-specials that have guest stars which have some admittedly entertaining segments which I will touch on below. But Chewbacca's family get raided by the Empire because they made the connection that Chewbacca would probably be there. After they get tricked into being called off by Chewbacca's son Lumpy using some kind of fake all-clear signal on a radio transmitter, the Imperial officer tells one Stormtrooper to stay because apparently this particular Stormtrooper is badass enough to be able to keep a group of three (potentially four) Wookiees locked down on his own.

Han and Chewie do eventually show up with an epic battle against the one Stormtrooper by having Han knock the gun out of his hand and then the Stormtrooper trips and falls off the balcony of the Wookiees' multi-high mile home into the Shadowlands below. Presumably along the way down he smacked into a bunch of trees and when he finally hit the ground, his corpse was then pillaged by any number of the wildlife that dwell in the Shadowlands ranging from the Katarns, Kinraths, or even cast out Wookiees that got labeled as Madclaws. I have walked the Shadowlands in KOTOR and the Star Wars Galaxies MMO and it's not a pleasant place.

Anyway it ends with Chewbacca reuniting with his family and there's a song sung by Leia where Chewbacca does this really creepy stare at the viewer where it shows only clips from A New Hope as flashbacks because that was all they had at the time.

To be honest I didn't find it as horrible as people would say it is. I think the main thing about it is it's just really strange and odd at times but it's not as horrifyingly bad like a lot of people made it out to be. The segments featuring the guest stars while really sudden are for the most part entertaining in their own way. Probably my favorite ones were This Minute by Diahann Carroll which felt like a James Bond intro, and the other being Light the Sky on Fire by Jefferson Starship. The other being the Bea Arthur one which I felt like was the weakest one. I also didn't really understand the leadup to it because the Imperial officer that shows up on the propaganda screen said it was mandatory viewing for all Imperial soldiers. Maybe Palpatine likes Bea Arthur and makes it a rule that all Imperial soldiers have to watch a musical segment by her when given the chance.

The only other thing worth mentioning is the animated segment which was fine. It's kind of weird though knowing it's the first appearance of Boba Fett. In the end I think I was just more surprised that I didn't find it awful. Like yeah, it's really strange but it's an entertaining kind of strange and I didn't feel bored or annoyed by anything. Not even this thing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Redgrave said:

MV5BMjJjMjEwMWEtZDcyNC00ODM3LThhZDctNTU0YzU1ZjQ1MmIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjg5NDMwMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR94,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

The most memorable moment for me was the scene with grandpa wookiee was watching that woman sing to him in VR. Such prophetic social commentary ?. He chose to escape reality even on a holiday to listen to a song about sharing a moment together instead of spending more time with the family. 

2 hours ago, Redgrave said:

I think the main thing about it is it's just really strange and odd at times but it's not as horrifyingly bad like a lot of people made it out to be.

I think people just compare this TV holiday special to the actual Star Wars films. 

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Slava said:

The most memorable moment for me was the scene with grandpa wookiee was watching that woman sing to him in VR. Such prophetic social commentary 1f601.png. He chose to escape reality even on a holiday to listen to a song about sharing a moment together instead of spending more time with the family. 

I think people just compare this TV holiday special to the actual Star Wars films. 

Yeah pretty much ? When he's introduced he was woodcarving an X-Wing figure. The old Wookiee just wants to enjoy the simple life of woodcarving. It's also kind of funny because the special wasn't completely disregarded by Expanded Universe writers since Chewbacca's father for example was later given the backstory of being a war chieftain. So basically that lone Stormtrooper was left to stand guard of a legendary war veteran ?

And yeah that's probably true too. I feel like a lot of reviews were from people that had that mindset of George Lucas being the big greedy boogeyman that ruined everything he touched even though his name isn't in the credits of the special. I assume he did have some kind of hand in it but it was written by several other people so it's unfair to say all the blame is on George.

• Like 1

MV5BMjA0MzUyNjg0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDY5

Spoiler

I know how to hurt
I know how to heal
I know what to show
And what to conceal
I know when to talk
And I know when to touch
No one ever died
From wanting too much

The world is not enough
But it is such a perfect place to start, my love
And if you're strong enough
Together we can take the world apart, my love

People like us
Know how to survive
There's no point in living
If you can't feel alive
We know when to kiss
And we know when to kill
If we can't have it all
Then nobody will

The world is not enough

I feel safe
I feel scared
I feel ready
And yet unprepared

The world is not enough
The world is not enough
The world is not enough
Nowhere near enough
The world is not enough

Edited by SteelFreaxx
  • Like 3

everything-everywhere-all-at-once_mpmkba

Everything Everywhere All At Once

it's an interesting take on a common concept in fiction, for the most part it maintains my attention, but I think the ending part of it weakens the story overall, the half chinese/half english dialogue doesn't help either, it's an average movie

• Like 1