The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

Harry-Potter.jpg

I may or may not have been influenced by the Lego games to watch these (I definitely was). I know as a kid I at least watched the first two and I feel like I saw the third because I remember some scenes but I at least remember the first two more. However I never fully got into them for some reason. Possibly because Star Wars and Lord of the Rings had already gotten their hold on me and so the mystical whimsical flimsical world of Harold Porter featuring his friends Herman Gringle and Reginald Weezer didn't really catch my attention as much as those two did. But while playing the Lego games and with Hogwarts Legacy coming out I figured I would give them a chance.

Without going into a detailed synopsis of all eight (or I guess seven depending on how you look at Deathly Hallows) films I will say that I think overall they have a nice charm to them. They have some things in the plot that after looking them up are properly explained in the books, some of which I don't really know why they didn't put in the movie unless I just missed the dialogue somehow. But in the end I enjoyed my time with them. I think I liked the first four the most but I liked Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows Part 2 as well. The first four are on the more whimsical side where it's about Harry and the others dealing with Hogwarts stuff mixed in with solving whatever mystery there is. It's also where a lot of the more funny stuff happens. Probably my favorite is in Goblet of Fire where Ron thinks Harry put his name in the Goblet of Fire and goes to such a petty level that he makes Hermione speak for him and makes those animated buttons saying "Potter Stinks!" ? Along with that I liked the other side characters like George and Fred or Neville Longbottom and Malfoy. I also like how cartoonishly mean the Dursley's are ? I think the other character I liked most was Snape. I thought he was cool when I watched them as a kid but seeing them now and the context he gets in Deathly Hallows made me like him a lot more.

In the end I can see why this series was really popular as they came out even if they didn't appeal to me much back then. I don't think I would put them on the same level of the original Star Wars saga or Lord of the Rings but I admire the charm and the creative magic stuff that happens in it that even to this day can capture the imagination of anyone watching. I think if given the choice I would watch these over 99% of the stuff that has come out over the years.

I also either didn't know or completely forgot about it but I was surprised when I saw that John Williams did the music for these. When I played the Lego games I kept thinking that some songs would start doing the same beats or sound very similar to songs used in the Star Wars prequels and sure enough while watching these I saw his name and the credits and was like "Now it makes sense" ? Probably the most notable one for me was in Chamber of Secrets during the Quidditch match there was one part of the music playing that sounded extremely identical to the chase music in Attack of the Clones. There was also another track that I forget which movie it is in but it sounded pretty similar to the ominous music Williams uses for Palpatine. So yeah, kind of funny to think that Williams was making bangers like Duel of the Fates and other songs in Harry Potter back to back ?

• Like 4

On 23/01/2023 at 7:36 AM, Redgrave said:

Harry-Potter.jpg

I may or may not have been influenced by the Lego games to watch these (I definitely was). I know as a kid I at least watched the first two and I feel like I saw the third because I remember some scenes but I at least remember the first two more. However I never fully got into them for some reason. Possibly because Star Wars and Lord of the Rings had already gotten their hold on me and so the mystical whimsical flimsical world of Harold Porter featuring his friends Herman Gringle and Reginald Weezer didn't really catch my attention as much as those two did. But while playing the Lego games and with Hogwarts Legacy coming out I figured I would give them a chance.

Without going into a detailed synopsis of all eight (or I guess seven depending on how you look at Deathly Hallows) films I will say that I think overall they have a nice charm to them. They have some things in the plot that after looking them up are properly explained in the books, some of which I don't really know why they didn't put in the movie unless I just missed the dialogue somehow. But in the end I enjoyed my time with them. I think I liked the first four the most but I liked Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows Part 2 as well. The first four are on the more whimsical side where it's about Harry and the others dealing with Hogwarts stuff mixed in with solving whatever mystery there is. It's also where a lot of the more funny stuff happens. Probably my favorite is in Goblet of Fire where Ron thinks Harry put his name in the Goblet of Fire and goes to such a petty level that he makes Hermione speak for him and makes those animated buttons saying "Potter Stinks!" ? Along with that I liked the other side characters like George and Fred or Neville Longbottom and Malfoy. I also like how cartoonishly mean the Dursley's are ? I think the other character I liked most was Snape. I thought he was cool when I watched them as a kid but seeing them now and the context he gets in Deathly Hallows made me like him a lot more.

In the end I can see why this series was really popular as they came out even if they didn't appeal to me much back then. I don't think I would put them on the same level of the original Star Wars saga or Lord of the Rings but I admire the charm and the creative magic stuff that happens in it that even to this day can capture the imagination of anyone watching. I think if given the choice I would watch these over 99% of the stuff that has come out over the years.

I also either didn't know or completely forgot about it but I was surprised when I saw that John Williams did the music for these. When I played the Lego games I kept thinking that some songs would start doing the same beats or sound very similar to songs used in the Star Wars prequels and sure enough while watching these I saw his name and the credits and was like "Now it makes sense" ? Probably the most notable one for me was in Chamber of Secrets during the Quidditch match there was one part of the music playing that sounded extremely identical to the chase music in Attack of the Clones. There was also another track that I forget which movie it is in but it sounded pretty similar to the ominous music Williams uses for Palpatine. So yeah, kind of funny to think that Williams was making bangers like Duel of the Fates and other songs in Harry Potter back to back ?

It was Malfoy whom created the badges, not Ron - he is way too loyal to do that, his Patronus tells all you need to know about Ron's true nature.  Yes John Williams is a great composer, he only did the first 3 movies though, which were rated PG [ Parental Guidance here in the UK ] so are family viewing but with some guidance due to some dark themes for younger children, given that Harry and Co are aged between 11 and 13 in the first 3 movies and books, its safe to say that's the target audience.   He had other commitments so other composers did the other movies [ Patrick Doyle for Goblet of Fire, Nicholas Hooper for Order and HBP and lastly Alexandre Desplat for the final two movies ].   The thing with Ron is he is embarrassed about being poor and he has this famous friend whom is a like another brother to him and although Harry doesn't care about his "fame", Ron often feels like he is living in Harry's shadow [ his misplaced envy in the Goblet of Fire last a lot longer in the book than it does in the movie ]and he has conflicted feelings over Hermione as she has been a friend [ annoyed with her at the beginning but admired her for her brilliance and giftedness in magic ], but even at 12 going on 13 he is starting to see her as more than that, and vice versa but isn't able to say how feels properly towards her until he is 18.   Alan Rickman [ a major loss to the thespian world ] played Snape brilliantly, a complex anti-hero whose bitterness over his mistake [ not in the movie ] and the loss of someone he truly loved [ if not reciprocated ] in the world, made his relationship with her son a very difficult and complicated one as he was the embodiment of both the love of his life, Lily and someone he disliked intensely due to him being ridiculed and humiliated by him, his father James.  

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The last movie I watched was:

I didn't think it would be very good, I had the original on VHS. But, it was very entertaining and the stunts, of which Tom does his own are brilliant.  Naturally he still has issues with his superiors but there is another complication in his life, the shadow of his late friend from the first film, played by Anthony Edwards [ E.R ] Goose, is in the form of his son, and sadly there is conflict there because he promised his mother [ played by Meg Ryan in the original movie ] that he would not fly thus stopped his application and the boy has a hard time of forgiving him, not realising his promise.  A small cameo appearance from a very sick Val Kilmer [ total shock ] as his former colleague and later good friend too, Iceman.  

Edited by alexandra-jane09
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

It was Malfoy whom created the badges, not Ron - he is way too loyal to do that, his Patronus tells all you need to know about Ron's true nature.  Yes John Williams is a great composer, he only did the first 3 movies though, which were rated PG [ Parental Guidance here in the UK ] so are family viewing but with some guidance due to some dark themes for younger children, given that Harry and Co are aged between 11 and 13 in the first 3 movies and books, its safe to say that's the target audience.   He had other commitments so other composers did the other movies [ Patrick Doyle for Goblet of Fire, Nicholas Hooper for Order and HBP and lastly Alexandre Desplat for the final two movies ].   The thing with Ron is he is embarrassed about being poor and he has this famous friend whom is a like another brother to him and although Harry doesn't care about his "fame", Ron often feels like he is living in Harry's shadow [ his misplaced envy in the Goblet of Fire last a lot longer in the book than it does in the movie ]and he has conflicted feelings over Hermione as she has been a friend [ annoyed with her at the beginning but admired her for her brilliance and giftedness in magic ], but even at 12 going on 13 he is starting to see her as more than that, and vice versa but isn't able to say how feels properly towards her until he is 18.   Alan Rickman [ a major loss to the thespian world ] played Snape brilliantly, a complex anti-hero whose bitterness over his mistake [ not in the movie ] and the loss of someone he truly loved [ if not reciprocated ] in the world, made his relationship with her son a very difficult and complicated one as he was the embodiment of both the love of his life, Lily and someone he disliked intensely due to him being ridiculed and humiliated by him, his father James.  

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The last movie I watched watched

I didn't think it would be very good, I had the original on VHS. But, it was very entertaining and the stunts, of which Tom does his own are brilliant.  Naturally he still has issues with his superiors but there is another complication in his life, the shadow of his late friend from the first film, played by Anthony Edwards [ E.R ] Goose, is in the form of his son, and sadly there is conflict there because he promised his mother [ played by Meg Ryan in the original movie ] that he would not fly thus stopped his application and the boy has a hard time of forgiving him, not realising his promise.  A small cameo appearance from a very sick Val Kilmer [ total shock ] as his former colleague and later good friend too, Iceman.  

Oh okay. I don't remember them saying Malfoy made them unless I missed the dialogue or it's another thing that was given more detail in the book. And yeah I did feel like the misplaced envy was done pretty fast and I immediately thought that was something elaborated more on in the book since it resolved itself pretty quickly ? Another thing I saw was explained in the book and apparently left out of the movie for some reason was how Harry didn't name drop Lucius after Goblet of Fire since he saw him in the graveyard with the other Death Eaters. I guess in the book they say Harry does mention his name but I think the Ministry didn't take his word for it.

I also meant to mention it in the initial post but I'll ask here. Have you seen the Fantastic Beasts movies and if so are they any good? I feel like I've seen everyone say they aren't great but on the surface they don't seem to be bad to me.

As for Maverick I still need to see that. It was supposed to be really good in IMAX too so I feel like whenever I do see it I probably won't get the same hype unfortunately.

• Like 1

On 20/6/2011 at 9:29 AM, Mio said:

What was the last movie you saw?

I watched Scarface on DVD last night, its of course one of my favourite movies.

Parasite

Parasite_(2019_film).png

(2019 film)

I saw this movie the other day, almost by chance (?). At first, I found it a bit decadent... but, as the plot developed, I found it more and more entertaining. From entertaining, it became funny... but, [HIDE]as it got closer to the film’s most significant script twist, it suddenly became a dark[/HIDE] story. Definitely a movie I recommend watching. A thriller that keeps you aware of the plot, loaded with social criticism from start to finish. If you have never seen it, the film will surprise you for sure.

In any case, [HIDE]the plot-twist that happens during the last few seconds of the footage was devastating[/HIDE] to me and left me thinking about many things for hours until I fell asleep.

Article on Wikipedia about the film, here.

Edited by Desavenencia
BB Codes issues…
  • Like 4

Saw M3gan ... twice LOL. One because a friend invited me, the movie was in spanish (latin america) and i thought it was pretty bad but then i saw it was available online and I was curious for the original dialogues so I saw the beginning and end up watching the whole thing again. In english it's not that bad actually the writing is kind of funny for a PG-13 "horror" movie. 

3058d42caceab8ab473e2a93b8d09487.jpg

Edited by polar_bst
  • Like 1

John Wick 1, 2 and 3

Awesome movie series, i dont know how im just now watching them for the first time.  Its like the film director wanted to make a live action video game series, and id say it was a success, such a cool movie. It delivers right from the begining

Terrifier

i saw a review of this movie from Whang! on youtube and decided to give it a watch.  It was okay.  Has that late 80’s early 1990’s nostalgic vibe to it, in which how its produced and filmed but thats what gives it its charm i think and i liked that.  Some of the plot twists i could have done without, like when Art the Clown pulls out a gun and lights the girl up like 50cent, ugh, and the homeless woman just felt unnecessary and awkward but the physical props, visual effects and make up were fantastic, really good for an small indie based group.

Nope

a strange film written / produced and directed by Jordan Peele of the now infamous skit comedy show Key & Peele

hes definately come a long way from his comedic acting career.  The movie overall i thought was done well.  I have no complaints whatsoever about the actors, their acting, the cinematography, the story, none of it

Until it comes to the uhh..alien life form, its a parachute! Huh? A living hot air ballon that preys on the towns people of small ranching community in rural california

Edited by Property_Damage
  • Like 1

MV5BODAzNDMxMzAxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDMxMjA4MjE@._V1_.jpg

I heard this was really good and the premise sounded interesting. Unfortunately I can't say I really felt all that engaged with it to be honest. I don't really know why since I didn't think it was bad but I felt really disconnected with it up until the final 30 minutes. I did like the idea of it being about an actor who used to be in superhero movies trying to regain his fame but I guess it's a movie where it was intended to have a lot of things left to interpretation and things left unresolved which I don't particularly mind although I think that's what made me feel that disconnect. I guess I just expected more, but I didn't dislike or hate it. Besides, there's only one true Birdman for me.

• Like 4

d2c2c034cc22730d0be594ac7331d7cb-guilty_

I really liked this one. Gyllenhaal's performance is amazing, there's a lot of suspense for the majority of the runtime and I absolutely loved the music and sound design.

Two problems though: I could see the big plot twist coming a bit too soon and that deflated the tension for a few minutes, and the resolution for one of the narrative threads was hard to swallow as believable.

Still, I liked the way the movie included a few nods to certain current issues regarding law enforcement and the justice system, and I really enjoyed the protagonist's characterization.

TheInvisibleMan_teaser-2020.jpg

This movie asked a lot from my suspension of disbelief but I really appreciated that it did something new with this IP.

The cinematography and Elizabett Moss' great performance made it work though. It's a solid thriller.

• Like 2

I'm usually more of a Samara Weaving fan than a Margot Robbie fan so imagine my surprise when Weaving unexpectedly shows up and Robbie absolutely wipes the scene's floor with her.

MV5BNzZiOWQzYTYtMDNhYS00Y2NlLTkzODUtMWEx

So... this seems to be an extremely divisive movie. No wonder. Anything can happen when a director gets awards recognition and carte blanche from a big studio to do whatever he wants.

Regardless of how people rate this movie, almost everyone seems to agree it's never boring or uninteresting. And yeah, I had a great time watching this. I also really liked it as a whole.

The movie does struggle a bit with structure and pacing issues, at times looking like a collage of vignettes rather than a cohesive narrative, and it loses a bit of steam around the midpoint, but it's still so fun and wild and visually appealing that I was fully invested during its 3 hours of runtime.

The photography, music, sets and wardrobe, the density of the wildest scenes with hundreds of extras and long continuous shots, all of that is very impressive. And there's also laugh-out-loud situations, thrilling sequences and great character moments.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people who didn't enjoy this the first time around will change their minds if they give it another chance sometime in the future.

8/10

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

So... this seems to be an extremely divisive movie. No wonder. Anything can happen when a director gets awards recognition and carte blanche from a big studio to do whatever he wants.

Regardless of how people rate this movie, almost everyone seems to agree it's never boring or uninteresting. And yeah, I had a great time watching this. I also really liked it as a whole.

The movie does struggle a bit with structure and pacing issues, at times looking like a collage of vignettes rather than a cohesive narrative, and it loses a bit of steam around the midpoint, but it's still so fun and wild and visually appealing that I was fully invested during its 3 hours of runtime.

The photography, music, sets and wardrobe, the density of the wildest scenes with hundreds of extras and long continuous shots, all of that is very impressive. And there's also laugh-out-loud situations, thrilling sequences and great character moments.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people who didn't enjoy this the first time around will change their minds if they give it another chance sometime in the future.

8/10

As a fan of all Chazelle's previous works, I hope I like this one too. He's one of my favourite directors. 

Three whole hours though... I guess, the bigger the runtime, the more chances to impress me, right? ?