The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

I watched the new Tintin movie this sunday, amazingly well done movie, pretty as hell. The story was mediocre though, typical Tintin movie, which was good but as it was made by Spielberg and Jackson i was expecting a mindblowing story.

I give it a solid 7/10. Waiting for a sequel :)

Zathura_dvd.jpg

Zathura: A Space Adventure

‘Jumanji’ in space, anyone? Bewildering though it may seem, ‘Zathura’ is just that. Two young brothers chance across a board game with untapped mystical powers which, once play begins, transports their house into outer space and barrages them with sci-fi clichés.

Ten-year-old Walter (Josh Hutcherson) and his cute-as-pie younger brother Danny (the aptly named Jonah Bobo) are the protagonists, the latter coming across like a male counterpoint to devil-child Dakota Fanning. While ‘Zathura’ is certainly aimed at a younger audience, older viewers may enjoy the lovingly wrought ’50s iconography of rocket ships, aliens, robots and ray guns, which hark back to the likes of ‘Forbidden Planet’.

Excellent movie that is also a good choice for those with young children in the house.

8/10

Watched a few movies last night, here they are:

0445939.jpg

It is difficult to come up with new ideas for a horror movie. Perhaps that is why this movie feels like it has elements of many other well-known movies. Regardless of that fact, this movie is a great piece. The plot develops naturally. Characters are well defined. There is no happy ending, but instead an almost poetic one.

This is the story of the tough people who made a country, good and bad, and the people they displaced, good and bad as well.

The Burrowers is what I like to call “high-end horror.” It’s a more sophisticated, more nuanced film that doesn’t rely on cheap scares or stereotypical characters like some throw-away horror films. It has a menacing feel and a tense atmosphere that slowly build until the abrupt finale, where you can finally let your breath out! It is also one of the few horror films that has capitalized on a Western setting, which in turn makes it an even more eerie and frightening film!

Do yourself a favor: do not miss this one.

worlds-collide.001.jpg

When Worlds Collide is among one of my all-time favorite Sci-Fi movie from the 1950’s. Yes, there are countless others that I truly enjoy watching, but WWC is what I envision when I think of a good old-fashioned Sci-Fi movie.

When Astronomers discover a rogue planet is on a collision course with earth, it is up to the most brilliant scientific minds to find a way to divert disaster…if they can. It soon becomes frighteningly apparent that there is no way to prevent the inevitable: The planet will crash into earth and destroy not only all life, but the earth itself!

What is the solution?

Build a spacecraft that is capable of transporting a select few to a distant planet in order to keep the human race alive. But who will go, and how will they build this spacecraft before the earth is demolished by a cataclysmic planetary collision. As scientists race to build the spacecraft, we are also witness to the societal breakdown of law and order; a world where greed, selfishness and survival have replaced the civility of humanity.

When Worlds Collide boasts exquisite scenery, with a special emphasis on the approaching “Doomsday” planet, which excellently conveys the panic and fright that this movie is based upon. There are also many great miniatures used throughout which are, for the most part, quite detailed and believable. Also to be found in this movie is perhaps one of the most recognizable spaceships from Sci-Fi cinema of the 1950’s: the Space Ark.

An excellent Sci-Fi that will not disappoint!

Is that one of those "Behind the Corporate Monster" type documentaries by chance? I enjoy those and if this is, I'll check into this one...never heard of it.

It's about some dude making a documentary about product placement in movies, all while trying to make a movie completely about product placement. It's entertaining and it shows you how big that and important it is in movies, and how some directors are forced to use it.

devilgirl.jpg

Devil Girl from Mars - 1954

Now, for those that like bad Sci-Fi (like I do) yet also find it amusingly interesting, then you may want to give Devil Girl from Mars a watch sometime.

As is common with most low-budget Sci-Fi movies from this era, the FX are a little...well...bad. The movie does suffer from some incredibly long bits of dialog, and the indoor scenes are reminiscent of a stage production. I did however like the few outdoor scenes scattered throughout though. As odd as it may sound, the acting is actually quite well done; the dialog suffers through writing more than the actors abilities.

The premise of the movie is that a flying saucer lands near an old English boarding house, and surrounds the area with a sort of force field, trapping the occupants with a certain boundary. The alien invader is a woman (who fits into her tight leathers quite nicely I will add). Her mission: To take men from Earth to her planet which is now void of such occupants.

Overall a nice bit of 50's Sci-Fi for those who enjoy the less-than stellar stuff.

X+ROBOT+-+ROBOT+MONSTER+MOVIE+POSTER+1953.jpg

Robot Monster - 1953

This is my all-time favorite "cheesy" movie (of which I am a big fan of and have a rather large collection of "cheesy" Sci-fi & Horror movies), and one that I watch at least once a month.

This is exactly what one would expect from a 1950's SciFi movie...bad acting, a plot that leaves a lot to be desired, and SFX that are laughable. A typical "Alien-from-outer-space-here-to-destroy-the-world" type movie, fans of the old SciFi's and many "Monster Kids" will no doubt enjoy watching Robot Monster late at night.

As strange as it sounds, for as bad as the movie is, it also has that "something" that makes it enjoyable and fun to watch...again, and again, and again. Robot Monster is the type of SciFi that will bring back memories of your childhood and overall a fun movie to watch.

Where else can you find such lines as: "You look like a pooped out pinwheel." "Hu-mans, listen to me. Due to an error in calculation, there are still a few of you left." ...you just can't find great lines like that anymore! If you are able to release your imagination and enjoy a movie without being too critical of its obvious shortcomings and flaws, this is a real treat.

Here are some tid-bits about Robot Monster:

# Originally released in 3-D.

# This film is listed among The 100 Most Amusingly Bad Movies Ever Made in Golden Raspberry Award founder John Wilson's book THE OFFICIAL RAZZIE® MOVIE GUIDE.

# According to the Medved brothers' book "The Golden Turkey Awards", director Phil Tucker attempted suicide after the release of "Robot Monster", due to the overwhelmingly negative critical reaction it received.

# One of the films included in "The Fifty Worst Films of All Time (and how they got that way)" by Harry Medved and Randy Lowell.

# Close examination of the Ro-Man's helmet reveal it to be very similar to the helmets worn by the moon-men on the lunar surface in "Radar Men from the Moon", a serial from Republic released in 1951.

# Is considered to be the first science-fiction film with stereophonic sound.

# It was reportedly shot in just four days, utilized no sets, and was entirely filmed outside.

# After the lightning flash, we see dinosaurs battling, and the footage comes from other films. The large lizards are from One Million B.C. (1940) (Hal Roach, 1940), supervised by Roy Seawright; the one brief shot of two stop-motion triceratops fighting is from "The Lost Continent" (Lippert, 1951), animator unknown.

# The scenes on the view screen presented by Ro-Man, come from a variety of sources: among them, the shots of New York in apocalyptic ruins are matte paintings by Irving Block from Captive Women (1952) (RKO, 1952); the shots of the headquarters of the Great Guidance (a rocket ship in launching position) was originally created for Rocketship X-M (1950) (Lippert, 1950), also painted by Block.

# The film was not entirely filmed at Bronson Canyon. The scenes at the ruins of the home were shot in a residential hill area elsewhere.

robotmonster2.jpg

saucermenos.jpgInvasion_of_the_saucermen.Gifsaucerman.jpg

This movie is a fantastic voyage that has it all:

• A severed hand with an eyeball and deadly hypodermic needles for fingernails that moves with a life of its own.

• Highly intelligent aliens who seek revenge for the hit-and-run death of one of their comrades.

• Brutal animal killings and a close-up of a gouged out eyeball.

• Two innocent teenagers wrongly accused.

• The US Military, acting in top secret attempts to breech a UFO that landed in a nearby forest finds it had been intelligently booby-trapped and explodes when engineers attempt to open it with a blowtorch.

• A police force overwhelmed by a surge of citizens calling in reports of little green men.

• Hideous alien life forms.

All this and more can be found in the 1957 cult-classic: Invasion of the Saucer Men.

Invasion of the Saucer Men stars a very young Frank Gorshin (best known as the Riddler in the Batman TV series); and Don Sheldon who played Capt. Fred Edwards in the 1954 movie THEM! Also in the cast is longtime character actor Kelly Thordsen who has appeared in many TV series’, including Cannon, Ironsides, Sanford & Son, Gunsmoke, Dragnet…the list goes on.

Invasion of the Saucer Men is definitely one of those films where one has to put all criticisms, seriousness and advances in technology aside while at the same time trying to put yourself in the frame-of-mind of the movie-going audience of the 1950’s.

I remember seeing Invasion of the Saucer Men on our local Creature Features, and it was one of the very first Sci-Fi’s that I remember that actually scared me. After all, the creeping hand was a very spooky and scary thing to a small child sitting in a dark living room with nothing more than a bowl of popcorn and a glass of Kool-Aid by his side.

Although the acting is, well…terrible and wooden, the actual plot is fairly sound. It is most certainly full of every cliché that could ever be imagined from a 1950’s Sci-Fi; but if approached with a very tongue-in-cheek attitude, Invasion of the Saucer Men is a movie perfectly suited for a lazy day or late, late night movie.

rivers-edge-1986-fs-r1-front-cover-60046.jpg

Rivers Edge - 1986

Interesting, compelling and chilling movie about the apathy among friends when one kills his girlfriend and shows off the body.

Based on the November 3, 1981 murder of a 14 year-old who was raped and strangled to death by a 16-year-old in Milpitas, Calif. The 16 year-old bragged of raping and murdering the girl, and showed the body to at least thirteen different people. Despite this, the crime went unreported for two days.

7/10

WALL-E (2008)

WALL-E doesn't contain an over-abundance of dialog, but the characters and storyline are very well developed and, at times, quite comical. As how WALL-E is more of a visual journey with sparse dialog, it would be difficult to explain this animated film without at the same time spoiling it for those who have not seen it. Although WALL-E is short on dialog, it at the same time excels in its emotion and storytelling than many newer movies I have seen.

As one would expect, the ever-familiar voice of John Ratzenburger can be heard in this PIXAR film; and Sigourney Weaver also lends her voice to this animated fun-fest as well. WALL-E was added to our DVD collection as soon as it was released, and it is certainly viewed many times over.

I also have to note that when we saw WALL-E in the theatre, it started with an animated "short" that is, in a word, one of the funniest shorts I have ever seen!! The short itself was worth the price of admission.

WALL-E just proves once again why PIXAR remains at the top-of-the-heap when it comes to animation and the creation of pure enjoyment for the movie-going audience. I will not be surprised if WALL-E ends up being one of the most popular of all PIXAR films to date. Grab your spouse, children, siblings friends or a date and watch WALL-E...you will not be disappointed!

wall%20e%20rubik.jpgwall-e_3.jpg

8/10