Favorite Music Album of 2017?

d1l2e3v4

This year was a pretty good year for music, IMO. Tons of super good stuff got released, and people keep experimenting with stuff to get a new good sounding song, or end up making a whole new genre! But the question is:

What was your favorite Music Album that released this year?

Personally, I'm stuck between two neat albums.

Flower Boy by Tyler, The Creator

It has some serious hard hitting banger verses on there, with some sweet good sounding beats. It's got a unique way of handling hip-hop music, that's for sure. Played this for months on end!

Iglooghost's Neo Wax Bloom is up there as well. It's definitely a new kind of EDM that I certainly have never heard before. Beautiful production work on this, and its anything from Drum & Bass to Trap, but that's only to name a few, as there's a good chance everything will be thrown & mixed into one song! Give it a shot if you're a EDM fan and are looking for something refreshing. Definitely a trippy experience!

Edited by d1l2e3v4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SNACH2497 said:

Music? Albums? In 2017? Pretty much nothing. Most music has been shit since around 2003. I would go with the Run the Jewels album, how they got snubbed by the Grammys, but Lorde got a best album nomination I've no idea.

There's still a ton of good music being released yearly, but at times, you'll need to dig pretty deep to find the stuff that's worth talking about. The Grammys aren't exactly trustworthy, IMO. Never keep up-to-date on them. Would rather explore a ton of music to find a sweet unknown record than to listen to something that sounds "eh" and you only got into it because it scored a bunch of awards. (sounds pretty hipster-like, lol)

1 hour ago, NutellaOrgies said:

Probably Gorillaz - Humanz, that album alone convinced me that I needed a record player and started a new addiction for me. 

I'm like 50/50 on this. As much as I love Gorillaz, the latest record just felt a bit...weak?, IMO. I know that Damon has never sticked with a style so that it's always changing & all, but Humanz felt, weird. Forgettable in a way. I still enjoyed a ton of the tracks on it (mainly the tracks that were released as singles) but most of it just ended up not feeling memorable. Seeing Damon play last month in Amsterdam was a whole different experience, and it definitely made sure that I gave the album a few good more listens, but that's kinda it.

I'll be sure to bookmark a few of the mentioned albums here, very keen to try out some of the stuff, as I haven't heard a lot of these. :D

Edited by d1l2e3v4
  • Like 1

Here is my top 10 of 2017. Half of them are from finnish bands so most of you probably don't give a shit about them.

1. Trivium - The Sin And The Sentence
2. Aivovuoto - Dötöx
3. Huora - Hukutaan paskaan
4. Veil Of Maya - False Idol
5. Paramore - After Laughter
6. Wöyh! - KRTKRTK
7. Ursus Factory - Älä lopeta uskomista rakkauteen baby
8. Mastodon - Emperor Of Sand
9. In Hearts Wake - Ark
10. Tryer - Samaa tarinaa

• Like 2

9 hours ago, d1l2e3v4 said:

I'm like 50/50 on this. As much as I love Gorillaz, the latest record just felt a bit...weak?, IMO. I know that Damon has never sticked with a style so that it's always changing & all, but Humanz felt, weird. Forgettable in a way. I still enjoyed a ton of the tracks on it (mainly the tracks that were released as singles) but most of it just ended up not feeling memorable. Seeing Damon play last month in Amsterdam was a whole different experience, and it definitely made sure that I gave the album a few good more listens, but that's kinda it.

I'll be sure to bookmark a few of the mentioned albums here, very keen to try out some of the stuff, as I haven't heard a lot of these. :D

I hated it at first and only liked a few songs but when I gave some songs a chance and listened a couple more times it enjoyed it a lot. Although I will never get into hallelujah money.

On 12/23/2017 at 4:10 PM, SNACH2497 said:

Music? Albums? In 2017? Pretty much nothing. Most music has been shit since around 2003. I would go with the Run the Jewels album, how they got snubbed by the Grammys, but Lorde got a best album nomination I've no idea.

lmao

Anyway here’s my Top 10:

EEEKS - Pet City

Forest Swords - Compassion

The Moonlandingz - Interplanetary Class Classics

Diazpora - Islands

Richard Dawson - Peasant

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Sketches of Brunswick East

Idles - Brutalism

Sufjan Stevens - Planetarium

Sinjin Hawke - First Opus

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet

Eminem's "Revival", after "TMMLP2" being kind of a let down "Revival" really impressed me.

I also enjoyed the "Brain EP" by Lil Dicky, if he did more serious rap songs like "How can u sleep" or "Russell Westbrook on a farm" he'd get way more credit, but I respect and enjoy his comedic approach to rap.

• 2 weeks later...

Foster the People's Sacred Hearts Club is a fantastic album, probably my favorite of the year. Best tracks IMO are Pay the Man, Doing It For the Money, Sit Next To Me, and Static Space Lover.

Also, Ritual by In This Moment is another great one that came out this year.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

2017 wasn't too bad for music. After my reply in the 2015 thread, I'm gonna make another top 10 here.

Top 10 in no particular order, and in each I'll list down the top tracks (ones I favored in no particular order), but the albums are good overall and I recommend them. 

Linkin Park, One More Light, album art final.jpeg

Album: One More Light

Artist: Linkin Park

Top Track(s): "Heavy" (feat. Kiiara), "Good Goodbye" (feat. Pusha T & Stormzy), "Battle Symphony"

I was introduced to Linkin Park just a few months before Chester Bennington's death. I see this band has a large fanbase. Many grew up listening to their songs. This album was apparently the worst in Linkin Park's discography and everyone hated it. It probably has to do with how they changed style and went soft on this one. Looking at YouTube, the songs have quite a lot of dislikes, but fast forward a few months later after the lead vocalist's death, everyone started talking and listening to the songs. I had gone ahead and listened to the past songs, such as "Numb", "Burn It Down", "New Divide" and "In The End". They are pretty good. He'll forever remain in the hearts of the fans. 

The cover consists of a box square showing a left hand, with roses behind it and thorns going through it. The wrist shows tattoos of a spade and the word 'envy', both red.

Album: Bloom

Artist: Machine Gun Kelly

Top Track(s): "At My Best" (feat. Hailee Steinfeld), "The Gunner", "Let You Go", "Bad Things" (feat. Camila Cabello), "Go For Broke" (feat. James Arthur)

Kells stroke again with this amazing album. His lyrics are truly awesome and he had great and surprising collaborations with Hailee Steinfeld, James Arthur, Camila Cabello and some more in this album. It's definitely worth it if you like some good rap. 

Memories...Do Not Open.jpg

Album: Memories...Do Not Open

Artist: The Chainsmokers

Top Track(s): "Paris", "Something Just Like This" (feat. Coldplay), "Honest"

The Chainsmokers left the world in absolute shock when they broke off 2016 with one of the best songs. This album is just as good and if you're into electronic and some good lyrics, this one's for you. They are indeed one of the best DJ and production duo in recent memory. 

WolvesRiseAgainst.jpg

Album: Wolves

Artist: Rise Against

Top Track(s)"Wolves", "The Violence", "House on Fire", "Far From Perfect", "How Many Walls"

Hands down one of the best Rise Against albums ever. The songs kept me going, loving the melody and the lyrics. One of the best punk rock bands out there. It has a good-looking album cover as well. It's really worth checking out. 

ImagineDragonsEvolve.jpg

Album: Evolve

Artist: Imagine Dragons

Top Track(s): "Believer", "Whatever It Takes", "Thunder"

Never imagined (no pun intended :giggle:) this band being this good. They brought a powerful sense to their songs, both lyrically and instrumentally. It's just one of those that'll get you feeling amazing, shaking your head and just wanting to sing along. This is really worth checking out. 

Sacredheartsclub.jpg

Album: Sacred Hearts Club

Artist: Foster The People

Top Track(s): "Doing It for the Money", "Sit Next to Me", "Pay the Man", "Static Space Lover"

This is indeed a fantastic album @XMinusZero. Definitely recommended to those who love a good indie in their playlist. The songs are just so good and relaxing. 

Image result for story of the year wolves 

Album: Wolves

Artist: Story of the Year

Top Track(s)"Bang Bang", "How Can We Go On", "Can Anybody Hear Me"

Looks like two different albums shared the same title in 2017 (Wolves - Rise Against, Wolves - Story of the Year). Anyway, this one is another good rock in the playlist. It's really worth it. 

Halsey - Hopeless Fountain Kingdom.png

Album: hopeless fountain kingdom

Artist: Halsey

Top Track(s)"Alone", "Bad at Love", "Devil in Me"  

Pretty amazing album. Halsey's a good singer. Sweet voice, making the songs awesome. I like how the instrumentals were in the songs. They are mostly great during evening time, but maybe that's just me. 

Image result for halflives empty rooms

Album: Empty Rooms

Artist: Halflives

Top Track(s)"Burn", "Echo", "Mayday"

This band has to be, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the most, if not the most, underrated one in recent years. They put yet another captivating name in the Alternative genre. I think Linda Battilani, the lead singer, also has to be one of the best females to be leading vocalists in a band. She has a really appealing voice. It is most notable in the song "Burn". I can't wait to see more from this band, because I believe they have a very bright future behind them. 

Image result for crashing atlas ascend

Album: Ascend (EP)

Artist: Crashing Atlas

Top Track(s)"Savages", "I Know You Hear Me", "Ascend"

Another underrated band. I am really looking forward to see more from them and I believe they have an upcoming album in the works, especially after listening to their latest song "Monster", which I think was super.