Question to those who played Monster Hunter before HZD

PiotrekHenry

This question is targeted specifically to people who played Monster Hunter game series (1, 1g, 2, 2g, Freedom unite, Portable 3rd, 3g, 3U, 4, 4g, 4U, Stories) older than MH World.

Since both the trailers and game play videos show HZD pretty much as a COMPLETE rip-off of Monster Hunter with NO CO-OP Multiplayer (no local via Ad-Hoc nor Online, simply no multiplayer at all) ,but an open world instead - how much of a rip off it really is ?
Did you enjoy playing it?
How does it compare to Monster Hunter games (game play-wise, I can see the graphics are better)?

Did the lack of Multiplayer harm the overall experience ?

Edit: Let me explain why I thought this is a rip-off from Monster Hunter after watching the trailer and some gampleay footage.
The flag monster shown in HZD Trailer (I guess it;s called Thunderjaws) looks (general features) and acts completely like Devilhjo from MH. The non-agro herds of swift robots act just like MH's Antekas (grazers) or Jagis (Watchers). The flying mechanical monster looks and acts JUST LIKE Rathalos/Rathian (Glinthawks/Stormbirds). It's like their model's skeleton and animations are not based on MH but COPIED directly.

Edited by PiotrekHenry
Explaination why I thought it was a rip-off

Go play the demo atm and see for yourself. It doesnt require psplus. (MHW)

edit:

I personally dont like the MHW demo/beta. The game feels clumsy and the gfx is still terrible for this generation if you havvve to compare it to HZD. I had a lot of expectations going in, maybe that was why it was a real let down. The menu system was horrible for me. Sure it had CoOp MP but the invite system is terrible.

On the other hand I enjoyed HZD a lot Is all I care, every game is ripping off each other in the end anyways. 

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

2 hours ago, PiotrekHenry said:

This question is targeted specifically to people who played Monster Hunter game series (1, 1g, 2, 2g, Freedom unite, Portable 3rd, 3g, 3U, 4, 4g, 4U, Stories) older than MH World.

Since both the trailers and game play videos show HZD pretty much as a COMPLETE rip-off of Monster Hunter with NO CO-OP Multiplayer (no local via Ad-Hoc nor Online, simply no multiplayer at all) ,but an open world instead - how much of a rip off it really is ?
Did you enjoy playing it?
How does it compare to Monster Hunter games (game play-wise, I can see the graphics are better)?

Did the lack of Multiplayer harm the overall experience ?

How can you say its a rip-off? totally different.

HZD is a open free world.

All MH games including MH world, is based on a list of tasks and hunts. HZD is more like zelda, where all the world is open to you discover, on the other hand MH games gives u all the information about that "map" event before the adventure starts with info like: difficult, loot, monsters, etc.

As I stated above, if you are looking to play a zelda style game go for HZD. Mh is Mh, i prefer other MP games honestly, all souls series for example are more enjoyable playing with friends than MH.

• Like 1

Hmmm, no, it's not a rip-off. Horizon Zero was fucking awesome, and the MHW Beta was fucking awesome too.

I love the new stuff, it was about gadamn time for a change; Gameplay is solid af, mechanics are solid af, visuals are solid af, I think they're making it a lot easier to catch new fans but I'm completely ok with that because I guess I just know there'll be some pretty impossible Quests. 

I've loved MH for around 13 years and will continue to

• Like 1

No, Horizon is not a rip off of Monster hunter. All creatures from both games btw are inspired by real life and mythical creatures. Also, both games are fundamentally different in both storytelling and gameplay. Play the beta and play the other games of monster hunter, they're good. Also, The thunderjaw and Deviljho are not the same and the stormbirds and glinthawks are not like the wyverns. 

As someone who poured hundreds of hours into Monster Hunter, let me tell you that Horizon is not at all like MH.

I would "label" Monster Hunter as a "boss fight" game. Every monster you hunt is a boss fight and can take a long time, you need to employ specific tactics etc. A bit like Dark Souls without the dungeon-crawling parts between the boss fights. It's also more of an RPG with leveling, crafting, collecting stuff. Horizon also features crafting etc. but on a more basic level and it's simply more of the typical crafting and gear-upgrading stuff you find in most games nowadays. And the big creatures in Horizon are just the regular enemies of the games. Some are tougher than others and you have a huge skillset at your disposal which allows for a variety of tactics but they are still - for a lack of a better word - "trash mobs" compared to your targets in Monster Hunter. Horizon is more of an action adventure like Zelda, that features big creatures. And that's the only similarity MH and Horizon have: they feature big creatures. Gameplaywise, they are very different and the focus is also different. Horizon is a story-driven adventure game about the main character and her life while MH is an RPG where your goal is to hunt bigger and tougher monsters every time you go out to hunt.

All that being said there are a lot of similarities on both games based on screenshots only etc. Third-person, big creatures, lush nature, bows and spears etc. And I think Capcom and Sony also saw that, that's why Aloy will be in MHW as a skin :D

Also both games based a lot of their creatures on dinosaurs, which helps making them feel similar in some aspects. The Watchers in Horizon are based on Raptors as are the Jagis in MH.

And I personally would love an Horizon with "real" dinosaurs instead of robots :D

I played Monster Hunter on the Wii U. The main difference between that and Horizon is that while I was playing Horizon I wasn't thinking "this is literally the worst game I've ever played". It didn't live up to my expectations, but it was still a good game and the story was pretty decent. Not even a contender for the "shittest game ever" award though, while Monster Hunter wins that by a landslide.

1 hour ago, Kapika96 said:

I played Monster Hunter on the Wii U. The main difference between that and Horizon is that while I was playing Horizon I wasn't thinking "this is literally the worst game I've ever played". It didn't live up to my expectations, but it was still a good game and the story was pretty decent. Not even a contender for the "shittest game ever" award though, while Monster Hunter wins that by a landslide.

you, sir, have no taste! ?

I played Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U for over 300 hours. One of the best games ever.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 8:11 AM, Sicho said:

you, sir, have no taste! 1f601.png

I played Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U for over 300 hours. One of the best games ever.

they had monster hunter on the WII U? I only bought the ones after tri on the 3DS lol

2 hours ago, wackt1 said:

they had monster hunter on the WII U?

yes. The expanded version of Tri called Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate came out on 3DS and an HD Remaster of that came to the Wii U, also called MH3U.

mh3urdbox_610.jpg

And I loved it. Played it with the Pro Controller while the Wii U Gamepad was standing in front of me on my TV table, displaying the map. It was GLORIOUS!

Bobby-Roode-2017-620x420.jpg

?

Also played a lot of it online. The Wii U was better at online play than a 3DS (no battery!) and you had voice chat!

Here's a picture from my Facebook that shows how my setup looked like back then :)

1497846_10151902043671379_2102463484_o.j

As other have said, it's far from being a rip-off, but if you are a MH fan, you'll probably get that vibe at times during combat, the general mechanics, big monsters and breaking parts etc..., but that's as far as it goes.  

Horizon is a very good game, great in some respects, but it's not the game some try to say it is.  It's a great looking game, story is great, the world is great, combat is fun...but it suffers in a lot of ways too.  Side missions are fairly generic, collectibles are monotonous (even though some of the stories they tell are good), the rpg-esq side of the game is pretty basic, and dull, stuff, and imo it lacked a bit of variety in enemies and weapons/armour.  Probably have a few other gripes but it's been some time since I played it, it's still a very good game overall though.

Had a blast playing the MHW beta, seriously hyped for it, but worth noting that the beta was an old press demo, it's not quite representative of the final game, as has already been confirmed by the devs.  The online component will be easier to navigate, and the hub and menus will be more user friendly, never mind the monsters will have proper stats etc...  Definitely worth playing it on the Pro if possible, it looked fantastic and played smoothly.   I know they're adding new monsters periodically in updates, I've 5000hrs+ invested between MHFU and Tri, more going right back to the original on PS2 too, I just hope they support World for a few years and give it a big roster, I'd like to emulate those numbers!  lol