Games with MEANINGFUL TouchPad Use

TVippy

Are there ANY on PS4? I'm yet to stumble upon one. One would think it's not THAT hard (for games where it makes sense) to implement for devs. However, I think devs don't see the slightest reason to go the extra inch to do it (especially in multiplatform games - just forget it, it's often not even used as a button!).

This is such a huge misstep on Sony's part - to have such a huge button, that takes half of the controller, that nobody touches.

P.S. Is at least recent Okami HD using it (I'm guessing not)? That game was MADE for use with touchpad.

• Like 1

I hate when companies put stupid gimmicks onto their system to "make them different". I love my PS4 but honestly have not played a single game that couldn't have been on the ps3 as well. 

That stupid Touch Pad takes up half the control and no one is going to use it because whey would EA or Activision make something that uses it when they can't do the same for the Switch or XboxOne. that means they are putting extra money into Sony's system that at the end of the day isn't going to benefit them with 1 additional sale. 

Like I wish S ony would just take about the Six Axis, touch pad, share button, rumble and every other gimmicky nonesense and just make the controller cheaper.

• Like 3

I was thinking about the recently too.

In Let It Die, you use the touchpad to select items. You press left or right side in to throw or eat items.

I like this feature a lot, and actually tried doing it on Monhun Beta out of habit.......

In Gravity Rush 2, it lets you alternate between gravity styles. Up or down, or tap for normal.

It's not much, but I think both were done well.

• Like 1

I guess Kingdom Hearts 3D uses it for those minigames that used the touchscreen on the 3DS version.

I've also seen games like Ys 8 that lets you use directional swipes as a mappable command; that's actually helpful

Edited by DesmaBR

Warframe you can activate your powers by swiping the touch pad. There's buttons to do it as well, but I've always found swiping easier.

Many games use it to pull up maps, but that's not that meaningful. Saturday Morning RPG used it to scratch stickers, but it was really difficult. 

It’s usable in Shadow Warrior to swipe up, down, left, or right followed by L2 or R2 in order to enact various spells. The other option is to double tap the left stick or Dpad but that is used for player movement as well. Overall not the most creative implementation but it does work. 

Tearaway does a decent job. 

Totally agree that Okami HD should use it. 

I will say say the rear touch on the Vita gives me fits and I wish it never existed. 

Edited by audiopile
  • Like 2

On ٢٤‏/١٢‏/٢٠١٧ at 4:59 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

I hate when companies put stupid gimmicks onto their system to "make them different". I love my PS4 but honestly have not played a single game that couldn't have been on the ps3 as well. 

That stupid Touch Pad takes up half the control and no one is going to use it because whey would EA or Activision make something that uses it when they can't do the same for the Switch or XboxOne. that means they are putting extra money into Sony's system that at the end of the day isn't going to benefit them with 1 additional sale. 

Like I wish S ony would just take about the Six Axis, touch pad, share button, rumble and every other gimmicky nonesense and just make the controller cheaper.

the new funny looking HROI Mini pad already did this and it's way too cheap, anyone can actually get a hold of that controller.

though I kinda like the useless stuff that sometimes been implemented to the touch pad as a hidden stuff that some games is doing, like when I poke on the touch pad in gravity rush remastered Kat will actually felt like if somesort of an invisible entity is harassing her.

also after playing the witcher 3 and got used on how to quickly bring up the world map by swiping your finger from top to bottom now I got addicted on doing that and so any game with an open world I just keep mindlessly swiping my finger thinking it will bring up the world map.

Edited by yellowwindow7