PlayStation Vita 2

nikolistary

Hi all, 

I'm an architect and designer and the worst future I can imagine is Sony never going forward with mobile hardware. 

I'll leave my personal politics about Sony, Vita, and the rest aside. 

What I am here for is input on Vita 2, or whatever it might be called. 

I am starting to develop a concept model to pitch to Sony. Give me any and all features you'd like to see. No idea is too small, too big, or too dumb. 

I'll post what I make here. Everyone can comment and chip in. Always suggest! 

In the end, I just want Sony to continue to make great things. The Vita is a gem. It was and still is great, but we all know how much better it could've been. Seeing Sony not abandon PSVR gives hope, as it was more untested in the market by handhelds 20 fold. 

They simply, purely, unequivocally, are ceding the market to mobile and to a lesser degree Nintendo. Let's make sure we remind them that handhelds count. Let's remind them that Nintendo is not doing great, but exceptional because people grow up and get busy and handhelds count. 

I know that if Sony wants to do anything they will. But we've all seen them operate without regard to the consumer. In a way I know they'll make another handheld. I just don't want them to screw it up. I'm talking to you back touchpad. I'm talking to you PSP with no right stick. I'm talking to you Vita with no L2/R2 and click sticks!

Aaaaaaaaaannnnd GO!

Edited by nikolistary
  • Like 1

As much as id love to believe in some sort of upgraded vita. Sony is done with it. They're way to focused on the PS4 and VR to be focusing on upgrading a system that's only appealing for a certain audience nowadays. I love the system dearly, don't get me wrong, but I can't see them putting any sort of attention to it except for occasional updates.

Edited by DuckSwimmer

Support for Dual Shock 4 and Dual Shock 3 so i can play it with a real controller, SD cards and none of that proprietary memory cards BS, real internal memory of at least 32GBs for the base model or 64GBs for an upgraded model. Total backwards compatibility with PS Vita games wise, social media capabilities like Twitter and Facebook apps...streaming services like Netflix and Youtube and music streaming like Spotify or SoundCloud, a real web browser and not that broken web browser thats on the PS Vita (because its very limited in what it can do and they have to have a good capable web browser), capability to play 1080p 60fps which means the console has to be powerful enough CPU and GPU wise, PS3 backwards compatibility would be a dream come true and have a few thousand games worth of library on day one, i also want an HDMI port so that i can plug the console to the TV and enjoy it just like the Switch, the ability to use the Vita 2 as a Dual Shock 3 or 4 to use as a second controller with PS3 and PS4 but please make it easier to connect to the consoles this time, also L2-L3-R2-R3 buttons have to be there now, PS Now support, PS Plus IGC support on day one, new IPs and exclusives for the platform...this is what i can think of now! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Soufwar said:

Support for Dual Shock 4 and Dual Shock 3 so i can play it with a real controller, SD cards and none of that proprietary memory cards BS, real internal memory of at least 32GBs for the base model or 64GBs for an upgraded model. Total backwards compatibility with PS Vita games wise, social media capabilities like Twitter and Facebook apps...streaming services like Netflix and Youtube and music streaming like Spotify or SoundCloud, a real web browser and not that broken web browser thats on the PS Vita (because its very limited in what it can do and they have to have a good capable web browser), capability to play 1080p 60fps which means the console has to be powerful enough CPU and GPU wise, PS3 backwards compatibility would be a dream come true and have a few thousand games worth of library on day one, i also want an HDMI port so that i can plug the console to the TV and enjoy it just like the Switch, the ability to use the Vita 2 as a Dual Shock 3 or 4 to use as a second controller with PS3 and PS4 but please make it easier to connect to the consoles this time, also L2-L3-R2-R3 buttons have to be there now, PS Now support, PS Plus IGC support on day one, new IPs and exclusives for the platform...this is what i can think of now! 

Same as Soufwar posted with support to 4k,improved ram,Oled screen,etc.

So what is the key problems for me?

1. As jarethgeason mentioned above - DO NOT LOCK IT TO 1 ACCOUNT. That's ridiculous. We can't play games from other region digitally. We can't even buy some dlc which didn't come out in our region. We can't download something from friend's account (that's completely legal). So playing vita for me was in some cases more expensive than playing PS4. Crazy shit, isn't it?

2. Titles. That's a problem now cause I don't believe they will promote and invest amount of money into great lineup like it was on PS Vita start. It seems that sales weren't so good to continue doing such ports or exclusives. Moreover, now is a era of lootboxes, dlc and Multiplayer stuff. And on handhelds this doesn't work so well (except for crossbuy light graphics titles like Minecraft).

3. Do not do exclusive format of memory cards, how long we should wait before these companies stop trying to make money from such things which can be done more cheaply? This is not like it should be. There are cheap memory cards, why not implement good standarts? I believe many users don't want to buy handhelds because one requires special expensive memory card, other even doesn't have charge cable in package. That's crazy greedy standards of business which should be restricted somehow.

L2/R2 buttons

Ability to customize touch screen and rear touch pad button assignments however i want (and save profiles for button assignments)

Support for standard SD memory cards

Video output for TV or PC, stream or capture. Would settle for ability to stream vita games to Ps4 for TV play or share functions.

Support for Dual Shock 4 controllers

That's pretty much it. Sony won't do any of this though. They appear to be done with handheld gaming.

3 hours ago, damage_6-9 said:

Personally, I would be happy if they just ditched the proprietary memory cards.... but would be totally ecstatic if you could have multiple accounts  :)

I agree on the multiple accounts thing, i would love to have the ability to login my personal NA and Asian accounts as well my brother’s EU account! To be able to have multiple regions on a handheld is a dream come to true! Please Sony do it! 

• Like 1

To be honest, a Vita 2 could work if they took a page from Nintendo.

Imagine a Sony Phone where you could attach the "Switch like controllers" to each side to play games.

Games would be fully digital or something you have to plug in like an usbthingie

The phone could be a bit thicker so as a smartphone it would have massive batteries,storage etc.

That would make it an excellent phone and if the option to play qualitygames is present,it would be attractive for general audience, not just gamers.

Because people like to have one item that does everything.

Memory card prices. The price for the available sizes have actively discouraged me from buying Vita games (digitally, of course). A card bigger than 16GB just isn't an investment I'm gonna make. It's not like Sony (of all companies) don't have the technology to make them affordable but also profitable.

4 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Honestly ive never seen the appeal of a handheld. If im going somewhere its because i have errands to do, not to play games on the go. Never had a vita or played on one and probably never will.

You've never been out somewhere and had some downtime? Never been on a long journey? Lucky you I guess. :S Most of the time I use my Vita at home, but it's just nice not to be tethered to a TV sometimes, like playing from the comfort of my bed. You're missing out!

• Like 1

Why is everyone asking for better performance and specs when prolonging the battery life is clearly the way to go? I agree on the point about accessibility though, it was much harder and more expensive to get your hands on compatible memory cards than it needed to be.

I’d also consider adding a SIM card slot to ensure a 24/7 internet connection. 

Good luck to the OP but i don’t see Sony getting back into the handheld market again. If they do end up doing it it probably won’t be under the Vita name.

Honestly, I would just make an improved version of the Switch. Make it so it uses conventional mobile hardware so it's easy to develop for, supports standardized SD cards, but most importantly push third parties to make games on it by actively helping them do so. Don't abandon it after the second year. The Vita has a lot of great features about it, and I honestly wished it did better, but sadly Sony clearly forgot about it very quickly which was its biggest flaw.

Complete compatibility with current console generation games, and a wide selection (if not all) from previous console/handheld generations.

I also hate proprietary storage solutions, but if they kept with that idea then at least have the option for secondary/tertiary accounts on each of your additional memory cards.

- A possibility for changing account and a sharing option (so we can play games from different countrys like on PS3 and PS4)

- Bigger Memory Cards to better prices

- More games for Vita

- A guarantee, that trophy syncing always stays possible for offline games (wishing that for PS3 and the "old" Vita too ofc!)

- A sound, when the battery gets low (cause it's pretty annoying, when u need to wait around 6 minutes to restart the Vita after outpowering it)

Overall I never understood, why the Vita here in Europe got no success, cause it's a great console to play on.

Games like Crash Bandicoot would be great.

I think, for those consoles like the vita are Adventure + RPG games and Visual Novels the perfect games.

Shooter and Racing games are usually a pain, cause the small screen or the usually bad buttons.

If you find a solution, to make a comfortable gameplay with those 2 as well, I will ofc give them a chance as well.