Getting every fish?

So before I start this painful grind, I would like to know a few things.

1. Do you need to complete the hunts after hitting Rank 10 Hunter rank? 

2. Do the Fish that are required for the Hunt count towards catching every fish?

3. Are there fish that are only obtainable at night?
4. Do Cactuar and Trash count as fish? (They appear in the fish catelogy for each area)
5. Can every fish be obtainable in one visit of free fishing? Or do I have to reload and pray RNG??

Would appreciate if anyone can help supply info for this before doing the grind :D and even help others :D 

1./2.  I don't think Hunts count. But I am not sure on that one. I did all the ones in rank 10 anyway, just to be sure.

3. There are fish that only appear when it's cloudy. If you're missing one fish in an area, exit and reenter until it's cloudy and see if you can find it. I don't remember which fish but I think it's one of the Lucian Carps maybe.

4. Cactuars and trash all count as fish.

5. All the fish can appear in one visit. I don't really remember if/when that happened for me but it's definitely possible. :)

• 3 weeks later...

So one additional question along similar lines, with this particular goal in mind:

I've got pretty much every trophy save for the get every fish/hunting rank 10 related. If I were to dedicate myself toward platting this title, just how much of a nightmare am I looking at to obtain all the fish in each respective area?

In other words, say I've got everything but one or two varieties in each area. How much of a grind is it to get those last one or two remaining species per area? Can you fairly easily target them via tackle/visual ID via sonar? Or can one be looking at hours after you've gotten 95% of the species, trying to get those last couple yet instead coming up with everything else but?

I just don't know if I want to commit to this entirely. It really, really quite sucks and becomes insanely monotonous and tedious after a while. Maybe 9-10 hours in, and I'm ready to lose my mind; I cannot fathom how anyone could accept releasing this game with the VR mechanics they've got in place as is. Prolly about as horrific of a VR title for PS4 as I've ever, ever seen - and I've played a *lot* of PSVR. Even the late comer/exploitative Dying Reborn VR, which merely hastily redid a couple levels for VR, was better designed for VR than this.

The controller mechanics and spatial recognition is just astoundingly bad. Trying to cast your reel/doing anything anywhere with the controller is... There aren't words that describe how truly awful it is. Even trying to take a photo of a catch, you simply cannot move your hands/controller out of the way. How they released this as is astounds me - I'd have expected better from some Indy dev operating out of his mommas basement; from Square Enix, a Final Fantasy title no less?!? I don't care if it is their first experimentation with VR, there isn't any excuse for this.

Edited by Coladar

Honestly, when it comes to clearing a fishing area out, it could take about 30-45min each. If you are missing a certain type of fish, it could take just as long or not long at all. It all depends on luck really, but shouldn't take you anywhere over an hour per area. Just use any type of Lure, like the Leviathan lure, and you should be fine. I say if you want to take time doing it, do a map per day and if you end up missing a fish due to weather, come back another day. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much, Smasher419, much appreciated. When I feel the urge to return to this game in VR, I'll thusly shoot for this given your description of the likelihood and necessity of getting this particular concern out of the way then.

• 3 years later...
On 12/24/2017 at 9:32 AM, Smasher419 said:

1. Do you need to complete the hunts after hitting Rank 10 Hunter rank? 

2. Do the Fish that are required for the Hunt count towards catching every fish?

I just got the platinum in this game, and can confirm that you don't have to do the hunts after hitting Rank 10 and subsequently that means the hunt fist don't go towards the 'catch every fish' trophy. Once I hit rank 10, I stopped doing hunts, and I immediately skipped straight to just clearing out each area 1 by 1, and got the rest of the trophies.

• 4 weeks later...