PS3 Forced Format?

mackenzie129

The only time my PS3 HDD crapped out was when I was trying to copy a save file off a USB back to the PS3. It got to about 45% or and just stopped. I didn't want to touch it, so I took a shower and 15 minutes later it was still there. I couldn't power it down, and had to physically unplug it from the surge protector to shut it down. Not surprising when I booted it up again everything was wasted. :(

I guess my situation was different, but just shows that if you want to move around backup saves it may be best to use the PS+ cloud if you're a subscriber.

I just bought a new HD for my PS3 because my last one had an error and needed to re-format. When It did (I of course, lost everything) I was missing 15% of my usable storage space....sucks that it corrupted the whole thing. Now I get to look forward to DLing all my DLC/patches again. It was a stuffed full 1TB HD, but IDK how much was installs vs DL's

yep, decided to haven't had my PS3 hooked for a couple of months and was going to play a game on it but had a Black Screen so had to boot up in safe mode(which at least worked), but System Rebuild and nothing else worked so had to do restore system file got an error about 32% of the way and wouldn't do nothing unless I reformatted the system. Lost all of my save games and data.
The heavy losses were Okami, Final Fantasy XIII and GTA IV. Final Fantasy XIII I had one trophy left to do so now I have to play the game again(but if it corrupts again for whatever reason I'm likely never playing the game again or quitting trophies for good.) Thought I had the save file on cloud storage, but somehow I knew I didn't. 
Right now I'm waiting for trophies to Sync going to turn the system off and unplug it again so hopefully the only positive thing is the system still working. Probably need to get another PS3 as back up in case this one dies for whatever reason or maybe 2.