Monster Hunter World Anticipation Thread

Happy

With the second (and most likely final) beta for MH World ending pretty soon i thought it would be fun to have a thread discussing the series in anticipation of the games release next month.

Go ahead and share things such as

-Your favorite monster

-Your favorite weapon

-Your history with the franchise

-Hopes and dreams for World

-Singleplayer or Multiplayer preference 

-Questions regarding the series

We can also discuss the validity of the leaked list of monsters but please spoiler tag for the sake of those who don’t want to know.

Personally, i first came into contact with the series through Freedom Unite on the PSP but only really started playing when Tri came out on the Wii. Always been a lance user and i plan on sticking with it for World although i’m thinking of picking up Bow or Hunting Horn for some multiplayer hunts where lance doesn’t synergize too well.

Favorite monster has got to be Deviljho, i love all the hyper aggressive monsters.

Edited by Happy

My first experience with Monster Hunter was on MH4's iteration on the Nintendo 3DS, which was a game that I probably spent over 150 hours on cause it was so much fun. As far as my favorite weapon, I have really enjoyed using either the insect glaive or dual blades. I especially love the potential for aerial combat with the glaive which is something that I used plenty of in this beta in order to mount monsters and have fun trying some different combos.

I prefer multiplayer over single-player since I have always enjoyed the potential for large scale strategies and planning with multiple people i.e. someone placing traps and then another person trying to lead them into the area with the traps. I would like to get better with the charging blade itself, as I believe that it is a super cool weapon and has the potential to deal tons of damage if utilized correctly. 

My favorite monster in the series has to be Zamitros, the land shark creature with ice armor. To me, it is visually a cool fight (hehe get it).

The first MH I played was MH: Freedom on PSP. I didn't get too far because I didn't really get the mechanics and stuff. 

Later, I got MH3U on the Wii U and clocked in around 200 hours and just had a blast. The next one I got was 4U, but that was the last one until MHW because I didn't care for the portable games.

My favorite weapon is the Switchaxe for sure and I love the Zinogre. So much fun to fight.

I started MH back in the Freedom Unite days but spent a very large majority of my time playing the JP only MHPortable3rd for the PSP (God P3rd was MH perfection). I was a Gunlance user until Generations where I went 100% Dual Blades. Beyblading was amazing in that game due to all the broken Arts and Styles. I think with MHWorld I'm going to go Dual Blades and Heavy Bowgun but we'll see. Charge Blade was pretty cool and Long Sword is a lot better now with that built in I-frames in one of the combos, really helps you trip other players.

Favorite monster is Zinogre all the way. Just something about him makes him a great monster. Very mobile but fair monster. Devastated that he didn't get put into MHWorld but hopefully he'll be added in one of the Monster DLCs they've stated they were going to do.

7 minutes ago, Yadilie said:

Favorite monster is Zinogre all the way. Just something about him makes him a great monster. Very mobile but fair monster. Devastated that he didn't get put into MHWorld but hopefully he'll be added in one of the Monster DLCs they've stated they were going to do.

What? No Zinny?

My history started with MH Tri for the Wii.  I was really balls deep in that game, and enjoyed it on the Wii U as Ultimate. I feel like I'm in the minority when I say I like Underwater combat. I think only Lancers like me could. I remember trying to use Bow underwater and I realised the hate was justified.

Don't really have a favourite monster. Honestly, they all feel forgettable if they aren't called Rathalos or Tigrex. Oh Devilhoe was a good one. Every now and then a brave soul (me) would try to fight it when you didn't need to.

Favourite weapon is the bow. Cutting tails with melee attacks always feel satisfying. The Dios Flier I had made mincemeat of everything. There's a real art to using the bow, but I'd never try it solo. Doesn't help being targeted by every attack.

I hope the gameflow becomes more fluid. Having played other hunting titles like God Eater and Toukiden, I just like how quick it is to get things done around the hub zone and with item management. I have friends who often complain that the Uncharted games are just movies and disguise, and to an effect I feel that I spend more time in Monster Hunter messing with items than actually fighting. They won't do it because of the deliberate nature of the game though.

Oh my favourite monster would be Barioth. Apart from being the easiest one for me to kill, I got it stuck in an endless dive loop once. Decided to cook some raw meat in a group before lazily taking it out of permanent flying squirrel mode.

Edited by AuzzieWingman

OK this is probably going to be one the most retarded posts I ever make, but here goes:

I never played Monster Hunter.

I heard Dark Souls was influenced by it.

So I was excited.

Finally, a Monster Hunter on a PlayStation console.

I played the Monster Hunter World Beta, for 2 hours.

Hated it.

The controls, the camera, and the way the character moves is so clunky. Hated the UI interface. I was just mashing buttons and then the monster dies.

Then from a distance, I see frame rate issues from flying enemies.

Graphics look like shit.

It finally got better when I changed to a sword and shield and had this awesome jumping attack at the end of a combo. So I like the fast movement.

Anyways, a week or so has passed and this game is gnawing at me in the back of my mind.

I am really open minded about trying new games or niche series or whatever, and I feel I would like this game, but maybe I am just looking at it in a wrong way.

Any veterans of this series can give me some advice or something lol? I know...weird request.

I feel like I would like this game, it just hasn't clicked with me.

The controls of Dark Souls were really good, maybe I have been spoiled by them?

Anyways, I imagine some fanboy will get salty I talked "bad" about this game.

Sorry lol :P

/lights cigarette

Funny thing is I own a Monster Hunter figure lol. Would be cool if I can wear this armor in the game.

91QB93jY6zL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Primeape

1 hour ago, Primeape said:

The controls, the camera, and the way the character moves is so clunky. Hated the UI interface. I was just mashing buttons and then the monster dies.

It finally got better when I changed to a sword and shield and had this awesome jumping attack at the end of a combo. So I like the fast movement.

I am really open minded about trying new games or niche series or whatever, and I feel I would like this game, but maybe I am just looking at it in a wrong way.

Any veterans of this series can give me some advice or something lol? I know...weird request.

I feel like I would like this game, it just hasn't clicked with me.

The controls of Dark Souls were really good, maybe I have been spoiled by them?

I feel like you already found the solution to some of your issues with the controls. In these games heavy weapons are deliberately designed to be slow as hell. Your greatsword things won't get any faster even after 500 hours of playing. They're not exactly unresponsive but it's easy for some of your inputs to get eaten up by some long animations which makes it feel like the game isn't doing what you're telling it to do. If you want to be fast on your feet you're best off switching to Sword&Shield/Dual Swords/Insect Glaive. 

The camera is really not all that great. Some series veterans would go as far as to tell you that learning how to deal with it is part of the difficulty which i'm not quite so sure about. I haven't really seen anyone complain about the camera all that much after having put a decent amount of time into these games so you'll probably have less issues with it once you've gotten accustomed to it.

UI interface is also a valid complaint, luckily you won't have as much stuff in your inventory as in the beta when actually playing the game so you won't have to navigate it as much.

Framerate issues are also there. The beta is the same build they used for their Gamescom demo in mid august so there's a chance they've improved upon this aspect since then. If you don't have a PS4 Pro i wouldn't count on it though.

To comment on the difficulty, the gear you're given in the beta is pretty good considering the monsters you're supposed to fight as your quest targets. How much trouble you have with a monster depends on how good your gear is to a way bigger extent than what you'd be used to from playing Souls games. Mashing buttons is not really a viable strategy in the actual game, or at least it hasn't been in the past. 

I've touched upon the whole gear thing a bit but i guess i'll elaborate on it a bit. Something that the beta didn't really represent all that well is that Monster Hunter is all about progression. You fight monsters, carve them for materials and use those materials to make better gear so you can go fight bigger monsters for better materials and so on. This gameplay loop persists through pretty much the entire game. Working towards making a new weapon or armor and fetting better at fighting a particular monster in the process is what you'll be doing for most of your time playing. You can go from having a lot of trouble with a particular monster to completely destroying it in 10 minutes and wearing its skin as a skirt which i find very rewarding.

To finally address the whole Dark Souls comparison thing, there's some similarities but way more differences. Dark Souls is more about exploration and less about long term progression. The way you approach combat is also pretty different, especially in multiplayer. I'd find it hard to make any kind of "If you like X you'll like/dislike Y" statement but i'd at least say that you shouldn't go into this expecting something akin to a Souls game. 

If you generally enjoy long term progression is RPGs you'll probably also find things to enjoy here, that's the closest to a recommendation i can give you. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Happy said:

Happy said a lot of cool stuff.

Thank you so much for your response.

I will reconsider and get this game, and try it again thanks to you.

Everything you mentioned I can adapt to, but I would like to see the frame rate, draw distance issues fixed.

Will wait for ACG review too.

Thank you so much for your long explanation, I feel better now <3

I played Monster Hunter on my Wii U and must've clocked in about 200 hours into the game. I absolutely had a blast with it. I haven't played any of the betas yet but my friends did and they thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll be getting this at the end of January. My weapon of choice was the dual sword wielder.

Never owned any Monster Hunter games, simply because I didn't have any consoles with it. But played Tri for the Wii in a friend's place once... That counts right?

Played the Beta for a while, used the Charge Blade at first and liked it but felt it was a bit too tricky for me, tried the Great Sword after that and didn't like at all...

Finally settled on Dual Blades and loved it, I really like Demon Mode haha.

I usually prefer singleplayer experiences but this seems pretty fun with other people, so I will give that a try.

I do have some questions tho, are the hunt times usually so short? Is there a free mode with no time limit? How hard is it to get the materials you want?

2 hours ago, JavaNext said:

I do have some questions tho, are the hunt times usually so short? Is there a free mode with no time limit? How hard is it to get the materials you want?

Hunt times in the normal game are 50 minutes rather than 20. It’s easily enough time to kill any monster in the game even if you’re undergeared. However you’ll only be allowed to die (or get carted as it’s usually referred to) 3 rather than 9 times. There have been special event quests in the past with shorter time limits but that’s only like one in 50 quests.

There is a free mode with no time limits. Keep in mind that hunting monsters in this mode isn’t exactly optimal from a time perspective since you’ll only get the materials from carving the monster and no quest rewards. Free mode is mostly used when you just need to gather miscellaneous materials or want to fight a monster without having to worry about the 3 cart limit.

How hard it is to get the materials you need varies from monster to monster. Generally speaking later game monsters will have some rarer drops than early game monsters. It’s advisable to always try to break as many parts of a monster as possible during each hunt as that will give you more drops (look out for tails in particular as you can carve materials from a severed tail similar to a dead monster). Putting together a new weapon is also much quicker than going for a full armor set. Not that you’ll need full sets anyway with how armor skills have been reworked in this game anyway.

Edited by Happy
  • Like 1

I have never played a Monster Hunter game before MHW. ;P But after playing both betas I absolutely love it!

Yes, the controls were a little clunky, especially whenever I tried scrolling to my whetstone or potions mid-battle. And yes the frame rate issues were a bit annoying at times, but overall I enjoyed the game. Now, I'm not a stranger to this genre of game, so I think that helped me get the hang of this game pretty quickly. Toukiden: Kiwami and Toukiden 2 are two of my favorite from the genre, but I've also played the first God Eater (of which I still have to complete) and Freedom Wars on the PS Vita.

I'm actually looking forward to the game and can't wait to see how well it does. ;)

My favorite weapon to use in the Beta was definitely the dual blades. It's kinda been my go-to weapon for other games like Monster Hunter. But I also tried the insect glaive and loved being able to mount the monsters.

Because I'm not familiar with the series or played one before now, I'll just choose my favorite monster from the beta. The Anjanath was really fun to fight and what I primarily fought during the beta. But there was a monster that I saw while fighting the Anjanath that I can't wait to fight. I looked him up and apparently it's the "mascot" of the series I guess? The Rathalos. 

After getting used to play it on mobile devices, playing it on a Dualshock 4 is JUST SO MUCH BETTER. Controls and even gameplay feels divine in comparison. Of course, new player will still think it's clunky, with reason.

My favorite weapons are the Bow and the Insect Glaive, the former since this beta (Because it feels like playing Dragon's Dogma) and the latter since playing it on the 3DS. S&S was my favorite during the PSP era.

I really enjoyed playing multiplayer, as someone who always played solo, it's a HUGE positive difference, but allies don't give us time to explore.

I have only played MH Tri, that said I put well over 500 hours into that game. It's still hands down my favorite online game ever. I was always a Switchaxe guy but was really liking the Insect Glaive in the beta so will see.

I'm completely new to the series, and I hope I don't get too lost. The only karige game I have played is God Eater. I'll be able to try out the 3rd beta. I was pretty bummed to miss the 2nd.

So I have no idea what weapon I'll choose. I liked playing the Scythe in GE, so maybe something with the same "feel". The only thing I'm worried is my Internet connection. It has a tendency to drop once in a while.

Reminder that the third and final beta is now up, this one includes an additional mission that has you fight Nergigante. Beating him will get you even more bonus items for the final game so it's worth gving a shot.

local_dragon_gets_fucked_up.jpg

• Like 1

Nergigante is a great fight. Excited to try some more of the new monsters. Still want a giant Zinogre to come.

Some HBWG action against Nergigante. Interestingly enough for some reason Elemental shots are now slightly piercing. Giving you two shots on people. I feel like they weren't like this in the past 2 betas and they definitely weren't in previous games according to one of my buddies.

Edited by Yadilie
  • Like 1