Gran Turismo 6 Online Service To End March 28

Vergil

Gameplay-wise, other than multiplayer modes and the Track Path Editor, what else are we going to lose?

I remember in GT5 there were racing suits, helmets, paints and museum cards...

I also wonder if the game will still be playable/enjoyable as it had microtransactions IIRC.

EDIT: i also remember it was easy to get money in GT5 thanks to a easy Seasonal event, is there something similar in this?

Edited by Lance_87

18 minutes ago, Potent_Delusions said:

I love how they are adding more and more games to that date as time goes on; first the Wipeout games and now this. By the middle of January they'll probably announce that the whole of PSN on the PS3 will be going down at the end of March.

Well, no. It's only their first-party games if you ever noticed the list of games. Next one will probably be MotorStorm Apocalypse. Hopefully i only need to reach level 80 (to unlock stuff, i already got the Platinum a year ago)

20 minutes ago, Potent_Delusions said:

I love how they are adding more and more games to that date as time goes on; first the Wipeout games and now this. By the middle of January they'll probably announce that the whole of PSN on the PS3 will be going down at the end of March.

lmao, tell me about it... im expecting EA to show up and close Battlefield: Bad Company's servers next year or smh. lol, damn need to get back to it and finish up the 10002 kills.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sergen said:

The day they decide to close PSN on PS3 altogether will be the day that I stop playing PlayStation forever and move to Xbox. At least Microsoft is making attempts to make the Xbox One into the all in one console by making a lot of games backwards compatible. Sony's idea of "backwards compatible" is trying to sell you a $20 per month subscription to PS Now, which is still unreliable because you need very good internet to run the games without lag. You don't see Microsoft announcing games that are closing, because they don't close games... They even take it upon themselves to host multiplayer for games that they didn't publish, you get your money's worth with Xbox Live because you can at least guarantee server security. Making trophies sync automatically on PS4 is a horrible decision by Sony, because they've shown many times that they are still willing to close any game on their consoles, even if the game is still popular. They have enough money to run all these games and every game on PSN and PSN as a whole for 100,000 years but they are greedy and simply have a hard-on for closing any game they can. Expect to see LittleBigPlanet among the games that are closing, they have already shown warning signs by delisting the Disney-oriented DLC, meaning they didn't renew the license with Disney, so they likely will close it soon. The only "positive" thing about closing the games really is that they warn about it 90 days in advance, giving people plenty of time to get the trophies. If Uncharted 2 and 3 on PS3 weren't run with peer-to-peer matchmaking, they'd also have been among the games that are closing, Naughty Dog made the right choice to make it peer-to-peer to prolong the life of the games. 

... really? Uncharted 2 and 3 are P2P? Like Sacred 2? And what about MotorStorm Apocalypse, Twisted Metal and Warhawk?

Edited by Lance_87

4 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

... really? Uncharted 2 and 3 are P2P? Like Sacred 2? And what about MotorStorm Apocalypse, Twisted Metal and Warhawk?

Warhawk likely is peer to peer, because the servers are run with PS3s that host the game. The server unit for that game is basically like 100 PS3s in the same room, here's a picture of it: 

Image result for warhawk server unit

I remember Naughty Dog mentioning that Uncharted 2 was peer to peer, because they intended to keep the servers up for longer than 5 years and I believe that would be the only reason why the game server closure hasn't been announced alongside the other games. 

I can't say much about the other games, the best way to really indicate if some games are peer to peer or not is if it has an in-game "ping" option. But most games don't even have that. Twisted Metal's stats are saved to a save file rather than saved on the servers and the trophies only work properly for a host, so I'd assume that means the game is a peer to peer game, but don't take my word for it. 

Edited by Sergen

8 hours ago, Potent_Delusions said:

Edited- not needed. 

5 hours ago, Sergen said:

Making trophies sync automatically on PS4 is a horrible decision by Sony, because they've shown many times that they are still willing to close any game on their consoles, even if the game is still popular. 

My trophies don't synch automatically....I keep reading this but it's not true. My trophies are messed up right now, and if I don't synch the trophy as it pops, it doesn't stick to my account, and I have to earn it again. Honestly, I WISH they synched automatically. 

Edit: Even before my current trophy mess, my trophies NEVER synched automatically. I always had the synch them myself on the PS4.

Edited by Floorkiller74

3 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

Who is "They"? All these shutdowns have been announced by the individual publishers, who have no control over other publishers servers or the PSN network.. Sure, we will see more shutdowns...that's expected....but like 5 games are shutting down and everyone here is losing their minds assuming it's all over. 

Sony i assume since they own all those franchises :)

3 minutes ago, DPatriot said:

Sony i assume since they own all those franchises :)

I didn't even know GT was published by Sony. You are correct, but I still don't see Sony shutting down PSN, just some of the games. I mean, it's what...Wipeout and GT then? What other series are published by Sony?

Edited by Floorkiller74

8 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

I didn't even know GT was published by Sony. You are correct, but I still don't see Sony shutting down PSN, just some of the games. I mean, it's what...Wipeout and GT then? What other series are published by Sony?

Sony has closed MLB games, MAG, SOCOM, Resistance 2, Gran Turismo 5 and Motorstorm Pacific Rift. They’ve really closed all their flagship racing and FPS game series and if Uncharted wasn’t peer to peer, it would be closing too. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sergen said:

Sony has closed MLB games, MAG, SOCOM, Resistance 2, Gran Turismo 5 and Motorstorm Pacific Rift. They’ve really closed all their flagship racing and FPS game series and if Uncharted wasn’t peer to peer, it would be closing too. 

Jeez, a lot of good games published by them. Here is a list of all Sony Published games on the PS3. Many are already down, but a number are still up. Looks like Warhawk is P2P, but what about Starhawk? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Interactive_Entertainment_video_games#PlayStation_3

1 hour ago, Floorkiller74 said:

Like i said they're shutting down their own exclusives. PSN on PS3 is safe for the time being. Shutting it down completely (assuming they can shut down it only on a console: don't forget it's shared with Vita, PSP and PS4) would mean erasing a whole generation of digital games, nullifying all game updates (and DLC compatibility in most cases), nullifying the possibility to backup certain savegames and sync trophies, and NOBODY with a working brain wants to see it.

There are still tens if not hundreds of third-party titles with working online... even if the servers are probably a desert now, they're still up.

Oh and thanks for the answer, Sergen.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

Yes, this game is a Sony server, so is every single other announced closure for 2018 so far; DCUO, Wipeout, Killzone 2 and 3.

"For the players". You can always rely on Sony to have their fans best interests at heart by shutting down all these servers for the players. Don't worry, the PS+ price increase is to improve their service to us, so what better way to start than by doing the second biggest load of server closures since Gamespy?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Potent_Delusions said:

so what better way to start than by doing the second biggest load of server closures since Gamespy?

The second biggest load of server closures? Six games? Have you ever seen the server closures for Ubisoft or EA?

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

The second biggest load of server closures? LOL? Six games? Have you ever seen the server closures for Ubisoft? Or EA?

Yea, they close age old games as well, mostly sport games and games where the 3rd or 4th installment is out and they close the 1st games servers that have populations of 25 people(trophy hunters).

As 'sad' as it is, no one is playing any of these games as the majority of gamers have moved to the PS4. There being no backwards compatibility or even sales on old games+dlc means these games were long dead. Please do tell me on how you can log unto Uncharted 2/3 and still find games with ease, or even with Killzone 2/3 before the announcement(now filled with trophy hunters). It's different on xbox because they never had the selection of games the playstation did, and they can boot up 2005 call of duty 2 on their 2017 system and it'll work. Sony's online is made out of sticks and spaghetti strands, they mentioned at PSX that 2018 should have PSN name changes which is most likely only going to happen if they do a total PSN overhaul next year.  

Edited by BHK3

53 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

The second biggest load of server closures? Six games? Have you ever seen the server closures for Ubisoft or EA?

Please stop replying to my posts Lance. The last time you replied something this stupid to one of my posts..I got a warning point because I couldn't contain myself in replying to you. I do not wish to get a second point.

The clue is in the word "load" i.e batch. 8+ games are shutting on the same day. 

Since Gamespy: Sony have shut over 15 games (the Dancestar games, the Everybody Dance games, wipeout HD, 2048, Killzone 2, Killzone 3, Eyepet, GT6, MLB 14, MLB 15, Kill Strain, Modnation vita, Destiny of Spirits, Everybody's golf, High velocity bowling, etc).

EA have shut down under 15 games, they didn't shut anything between January 2013-July 2016 either. Ubisoft have shut down about 6 or 7 games since Gamespy, most being in August 2014.

So yes, Sony are responsible for the most closures since Gamespy AND the biggest load/batch of closures since Gamespy. 

• Like 2