Quit Trophy Hunting but can't

CrypticDrogo

Isn't that the reason why we got into gaming?  To have fun and not take life so seriously?  I mean, it is fun to compete against your friends or on PSNP to get trophies, but think about it.

You are missing all the fun in exploring a game.  Using a guide to play a game just doesn't make any sense (without playing the game blind the first time).

• Like 1

There is an option to disable Trophy notifications . So in theory you could start playing games without seeing trophies and without thinking about them . Maybe this helps?

I hear that a lot and only advice i can give without giving up trophie hunting is to mix it up. Play some games you like , play some games for trophies , play some easy and play some hard games. Maybe use second account for games you just play for fun?

Not much i can advice after that... its up to you how to change your gaming habits.

• Like 1

If you still want trophies to be apart of gaming, then switch up the stat you focus on. Instead of focusing on completion, focus on rarity or number of trophies earned or number or games played. This site and others have so many different stats and each one completely changes how you end up playing. I focus on completion based on every game I own- whether or not it's started- and this helps me start more games without going through a grind when I don't feel like it.

If you don't want trophies at all to be apart of gaming, hide your trophy list so you can't view it online, hide trophy notifications, pick a game you've been eyeing, and go at it. If you want a more detox method, try integrating PC and mobile games so that there are no trophies at all.

• Like 3

Sounds almost like a addiction! if you cant quit on your own then it is a serious problem. The Question is, do you have fun collecting Trophies or is it a habit you cant turn off?

If you have fun collecting them then i would as already advised made One account for Trophies and one for Fun or as i do it as a Testing ground to see if it is possible to get platinum while havin fun so after that you can still grind on your Trophy Account.

If its a serious habit and its no fun at all then maybe you should think about what made you love gaming i the first place and maybe go back to games and consoles when there was no Trophy system like PSX or PS2.

Either way it should be a hobby and nothing that makes you sick or frustrates you.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Vadrael said:

Sounds almost like a addiction! if you cant quit on your own then it is a serious problem. The Question is, do you have fun collecting Trophies or is it a habit you cant turn off?

If you have fun collecting them then i would as already advised made One account for Trophies and one for Fun or as i do it as a Testing ground to see if it is possible to get platinum while havin fun so after that you can still grind on your Trophy Account.

If its a serious habit and its no fun at all then maybe you should think about what made you love gaming i the first place and maybe go back to games and consoles when there was no Trophy system like PSX or PS2.

Either way it should be a hobby and nothing that makes you sick or frustrates you.

I myself made a dummy account, i play games on the dummy blind and i noticed that the trophies "dont get in the way" of me having fun. i will admit i have a degree of OCD which is why when i play games i always go for 100% (including trophies which i do not like). However i found that the alternate account seems to shut down my OCD and i just have fun, it could be that i can delete that account at any time and it is completely gone.

I do hope this helps and as others have said, just try to have fun that is the point of games.

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

I never understand posts like this. If you want to quit trophy hunting, then just do it? :huh: I mean nobody is holding a gun to your head, are they?

It's super addictive.  But you can balance it out if you try other things so it doesn't seem like it's consuming all your time.  Like killing time on an awesome forum :D 

3 hours ago, CrypticDrogo said:

I have been hunting trophies since 2014, and after failing to get a 100% profile and struggling inside on how to play, I want to quit trophy hunting and have fun and play whatever, get whatever trophy I want but I don't know how to exactly, any thoughts?

This is both a very simple and complicated issue at the same time. If you want to play for fun, you simply need to change your mindset on gaming. 

I don't know if this will help, but my thoughts on trophy hunting is simplistic. "Why waste 100s of hours on a game that I don't care for?" The answer? I DON'T. In the end, trophy hunting is purely for self-satisfaction. Having 100% on your profile will not get you fame and fortune and no one on here will think any less of you for deciding to stop hunting trophies seriously and play them for fun. In the end, all trophies really are are virtual images showing that you complete a certain task on a game. That's it. It doesn't show that you are "the best" at video gaming nor does a higher level on PSN mean that you are better than someone who is at a lower level. Trophy count is just a number. Same with your platinum count. Virtual respect and bragging rights will not net to much. I promise you.

You could always create a new PSN ID. Maybe having a fresh start will change your mindset? Of course, that's if my mini-rant didn't change your mindset already! ;)

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure I'll quit trophy hunting at some point or another but going to be a long time before that happens. As for my completion I personally don't care too much about it at this point since its too far gone to get above 80 percent at this point would be my guess.
Could always create another account if you don't have too many digital purchases like avatars and stuff.
Plus I'm not sure if it is related or not but about what I would do is probably set a schedule each day some days for trophy hunting or and other days for playing whatever game so you don't get burnt out on trophy hunting or something. 

I think it's ok. I like trophy hunting but don't do it for every game, just games that I like and where the trophy is something I can actually get or takes a reasonable amount of time and effort. I don't bother with overly long or difficult trophies (anything 150+ hours or 8/10 difficulty and above). I can cope with games up to max of 130-140 hours (like my Tales and FF trophies) and a 7/10 difficulty though, but ridiculously long trophies (Disgaea 4 which is 400+ hours, star ocean etc) or difficult trophies (Kingdom Hearts for me, Overwatch, Dark souls etc) are something I don't bother with and just prefer to enjoy the game.

There are too many great games out there with new releases always coming out these days to spend hours upon hours on just one game unless you really love the game or desperately want that games plat in your collection. For me, FF and Tales are the only games I would really invest time and effort into as I've always done, but for other games it depends on both length, difficulty and of course my skill and whether the game is enjoyable to continue beyond just the story or not. Disgaea series are games I never bothered with the plat as they are just too grindy and repetitive once the story is finished. 

19 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I think it's ok. I like trophy hunting but don't do it for every game, just games that I like and where the trophy is something I can actually get or takes a reasonable amount of time and effort. I don't bother with overly long or difficult trophies (anything 150+ hours or 8/10 difficulty and above). I can cope with games up to max of 130-140 hours (like my Tales and FF trophies) and a 7/10 difficulty though, but ridiculously long trophies (Disgaea 4 which is 400+ hours, star ocean etc) or difficult trophies (Kingdom Hearts for me, Overwatch, Dark souls etc) are something I don't bother with and just prefer to enjoy the game.

There are too many great games out there with new releases always coming out these days to spend hours upon hours on just one game unless you really love the game or desperately want that games plat in your collection. For me, FF and Tales are the only games I would really invest time and effort into as I've always done, but for other games it depends on both length, difficulty and of course my skill and whether the game is enjoyable to continue beyond just the story or not. Disgaea series are games I never bothered with the plat as they are just too grindy and repetitive once the story is finished. 

Which FF is 130-140 hours? And Dark Souls is definitely not 7/10, much closer to 4/10 and the trophy list isn't particularly requiring xD Not sure I could play Kingdom Hearts without going for 100%.

If I really enjoy a game and don't have too much trouble with a game, I don't care about the difficulty or length. Games that bore me on the other hand, just can't do it. Shooter games, just, no. I've started several on my profile that I haven't finished. Just can't be arsed. I've learned my lesson, just don't buy those games.

I'm happily doing games like Spelunker HD, N++, Fenix Furia etc etc. I get addicted and can't stop playing them until 100%. xD 

Currently doing Star Ocean 5. Probably wouldn't go for all items etc if it wasn't for trophies. Nor would I get all endings or do two extra playthroughs. :( But now I'm doing that, and I'm only missing the two playthroughs, halfway done with one.

Edited by MMDE

5 hours ago, MMDE said:

Which FF is 130-140 hours? And Dark Souls is definitely not 7/10, much closer to 4/10 and the trophy list isn't particularly requiring xD Not sure I could play Kingdom Hearts without going for 100%.

If I really enjoy a game and don't have too much trouble with a game, I don't care about the difficulty or length. Games that bore me on the other hand, just can't do it. Shooter games, just, no. I've started several on my profile that I haven't finished. Just can't be arsed. I've learned my lesson, just don't buy those games.

I'm happily doing games like Spelunker HD, N++, Fenix Furia etc etc. I get addicted and can't stop playing them until 100%. xD 

Currently doing Star Ocean 5. Probably wouldn't go for all items etc if it wasn't for trophies. Nor would I get all endings or do two extra playthroughs. :( But now I'm doing that, and I'm only missing the two playthroughs, halfway done with one.

FFX and XIII take really long, the first time I did XIII on my old account when it was first released, I wasn't very lucky with Adamantoise drops so it took me 135 hours. I platted it again on this account, and it took me much shorter like 75 hours as there was easy mode added which increased normal drop rates to 95%, so you could easily just buy weapon upgrade materials. I didn't plat FFX, but my brother and another friend did and they told me it took really long, close to 150 hours if using the normal sphere grid. I could never manage the dumb mini games in it though. The PSN profiles trophy guide says it's about that 150 hours as well, and there is a lot of grinding and post game work?. I always said I'd do it, but ended up just playing another game from by backlog instead. 

Tales of Symphonia is the same as it needed 5 playthroughs and did not have a skip scene function, so the patience that game demanded was not something I had, so it was just about enjoying the story for me and that's it. 

About KH, I'm not good at KH overall. I can't play on anything other than normal mode and have played every single original KH including the DS versions and GBA version of CoM. I'm better at turn based RPG, command battle systems and strategy games as opposed to full on action, so critical and proud mode were impossible for me. However, it's probably an ok trophy for those good at KH, like my brother is obsessed with kh and always plays on proud and critical, so he didn't have much trouble with the plat. I just enjoy KH for the great story, but games like FF and Tales are more my forte. The only time I played proud was in birth by sleep's Ventus route, got to the final boss and couldn't win ?

However, games that have reasonable trophies but hated are ones that I just could not mentally continue beyond the story due to sheer boredom. Tales of Zestiria is probably my best example of a game I really did not like, even though the trophy was not that long or hard. Hatsune Miku project Diva F was another, I found it kind of boring and repetitive, and didn't really like the songs. 

Most of the people here already took my words about what I was going to say, but I will still share one more perspective.

I only started playing PS4 last July and at first I didn't want to care about trophies, but it seems I suddenly got addicted to it. ? It's nice if you want to see yourself in high rankings and compare yourself to your friends and other players, if you are looking for a competition... Still, I think I might have the same struggle as you right now, since I'm afraid that I might stop enjoying a certain a game when trying to go for the platinum.

The trophy system is great on some games, because in some cases, it makes you enjoy the full (or most) content of the game that otherwise you could not have enjoyed (finishing on all difficulties, getting all unlockables etc etc...) Of course, there are always some exceptions (I'm looking at you Tekken 7, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD... such trophy potential wasted ?). 

Even though I also started to like trophy hunting, sometimes I wonder if I could be playing other games at that moment instead of going a Platinum of an already beaten game. (When I'm farming at Fate/Extella for example).

I already have a big backlog of games to play, and I know that I might not get the platinum for some of them (looking at The Last Guardian, Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition, Star Ocean 5, Borderlands...), still even though I'm starting to care (sometimes too much) at trophies, I can't let a trophy system where back at the PS2 times didn't event exist. So, Platinum a game only if you feel like it and really want to get it. Do it like me, if somehow you don't feel like getting the platinum right now, don't get it. Leave it later or don't even do it. 

It's funny, because yesterday I was getting tired of playing Need for Speed Rivals during last weekend (almost got the platinum, ranked up a lot!), but I ended up playing an already platinumed game, which was Tekken 7, by the end of the day, because I wanted to punch out some bots. Even though I platinumed Tekken 7, I feel I still want to play it, since it is my favourite fighting game series and I still have lots of fun playing it right now.

Fortunately, I still play PSP and 3DS which sometimes makes me remember that I should just go trough a game whenever I feel like it, and at least beat the main goal. Just complete the rest if you just feel like it.

Since PSNProfiles is more about saying which trophies you have and not really showing your videogame backlog, you always have places like the Backloggery, where you can custom your backlog and said which games you beat (not platinumed, lol) in all platforms. I have mine on my signature for example.

Just don't ever, ever! Let a trophy system change the joy of gaming. ?

• Like 1

Easiest way to stop, is to switch consoles. That's essentially what I did when I stopped for a while. I started playing on PC and Nintendo consoles, so that I wouldn't have to worry about trophies. That got it under control enough for me to come back. I still trophy hunt sometines, but it's really more because I want a reason to keep playing a game I'm really enjoying, or because I have nothing better to do. 

• Like 2