The last anime you saw?

Aexuz

Girls und Panzer

Girls & Panzer

Rewatched: Episode 1-12
Enjoyment: 10/10

December 14th was the last day to watch this from Netflix. Since it has been a while since I last watched it, I decided to check it one more time before it was gone. However, rather than watching a few episodes at a time, I decided to do something I've only done once, and that's to marathon it. The only other anime I've done this was Attack on Titan S2. If I were to marathon, I'd have to make sure I had enough time and I just had that (luckily).

Anyway, I've talked about this once before, but I only mentioned the final episode and nothing else. So, I might as well fix that and mention some of the other episodes as well. But before I get to that, a short story about how I discovered this and why I enjoy it. I'll also point out a couple of highlights, namely those that got me into this. Beware that it contains spoilers.

Spoiler

I first heard of this back in 2016 and added it to my list, but it wasn't until Q4 of 2019 I finally started watching it. However, for some reason, I stopped after Ep 9 (a real cliffhanger) and didn't resume it for a few months.

Time goes on and in early 2020, I saw it in Netflix's catalog. Rather than resuming it from that episode I left off, I decided to start from the beginning. This time, I made it all the way to the end and... wow. That was one heck of a final. With so much action happening, I couldn't help but enjoy it. After that, I became a fan of this. Since then, I've watched pretty much everything there is (sequels, OVAs and so on). Well, with the exception of das Finale, but more about that later.

Why do I enjoy it so much? I've listed all that below. I could list more, but the ones listed are the main reasons.

- Strategies. Since Ooarai is always at a disadvantage when it comes to the number of tanks, they always manage to secure a victory (excluding the friendly matches) after a lot of planning. I always enjoy the strategies they come up with, like during the match against Saunders.

- The characters. There's your usual main characters, but you also have characters from the other schools. Take St. Gloriana for example, where all the characters are named after different species of tea, with the exception of Orange Pekoe.

- The matches. No matter how many times I rewatch this, I still get excited by every twist and turn, just like when I watched it for the first time back then.

- The amount of details. I've watched this a few times and whenever I do so, I usually pay attention to different things, since this show has a lot of details. For example, each team's logo appears somewhere in the OP and they're noticeable if you pay attention. Another example are all the references related to real life, be it person or such.

- The soundtrack. It wouldn't be complete without mentioning this. This is one of the reasons why I enjoy this so much. Simply put, the soundtrack is an absolute masterpiece.

Next, a couple of highlights.

- Ep 6: Ooarai's first victory. The match against Saunders starts unfair, but after a certain someone spills the beans, both sides end up fighting on equal terms. And man, what a close call finish that match was. So exciting to watch.

- Ep 11: Miho's jump. Call it a meme or not, but I still have to like how she chooses to risk it, in order to save her teammates and avoid repeating the past.

- Ep 12: Taking down the Maus. Katyusha's reaction during that scene was amusing.

- Ep 12: I have to appreciate the bravery the Rabbit Team (the first year students) is showing when they face the Jagdtiger head on. Sure, it costs their tank, but at least the behemoth gets taken down as well. The music crowns the scene.

- Ep 12: The duel between the Nishizumi sisters. Easily the highlight of the episode and what makes it more enjoyable is that there's no one else to interrupt it. The enemy tries to get there, but fails to do so in time.

- Ep 12: Much like how a certain character bursts into tears after the fated match, I just had to do the same. Not tears of sadness, but joy, because it was one heck of a match and the ending is just that great. The only other anime that has the same effect is Tsuki ga Kirei. The ending of that one was so touching I just couldn't help it.

To sum it up, this is easily the most important anime series to me. Not only that, but it gives me some comfort with these dark times we're living. If I ever have it rough or something like that, all I need to do is either listen to the soundtrack, think about this and so on and I'm at ease. In the end, I'm glad I discovered this. While there are a couple of other series that make me happy, no other anime has impacted me as much as this.

And that's all I have to say about this one. It may have been removed from Netflix, but at least the memories still remain. I could always watch it from Blu-ray or Crunchyroll, but since they only have English subtitles, it's not exactly the same thing. Anyway, I still have to start watching das Finale, but I'm waiting till Part 3 gets released and saving that for the end of this year.

Next up, I'll be watching both FMAs since Netflix is removing them as well by the end of the year. I'm almost done with the 2003 adaptation, but Brotherhood is going to take a while since I've only watched a few episodes of it. As long as I watch more than one episode per day, I'll make it.
Edited by MrGarland
  • Like 3

100467.jpg

Dororo. Watched the 1st 9 episodes, some great episodes, some less than memorable ones too. A bit overly reliant on tragic stories to have an impact on the viewer, the main characters are also pretty meh. Taking a break from it, will return and finish it at some point.

86733.jpg

Made in Abyss, finally watched this to the end, I was very intrigued by the world and the lore, probably my favorite part of this. Compared to Dororo this beautifully builds up to its impactful moments, incredibly touching at times.

20310.jpg

Trigun episodes 1-4. One of those anime classics I never got around to watching. Often recommended to those who enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, an anime I love, I think I will stop with Trigun at 4 episodes, there were plenty of things that I am not a fan of in this episodes, so no point in watching more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fullmetal Alchemist

Fullmetal Alchemist

Watched: Ep 21-51 (completed)
Enjoyment: 9/10

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Watched: Ep 1-64 (completed)

More than three years of planning and several months of watching, I've finally managed to watch FMA adaptations. I was going to take my time with them, but when I saw that Netflix was going to remove them by the end of 2021, I had to hurry up and watch them before it was too late. The latter one was the worst, as I had to marathon the entire thing within several days. All that can be said, I'm done doing marathons for a while.

Anyway, what can I say about these? The first adaptation, even though it doesn't follow the manga as much as Brotherhood, was pretty good. Not to mention, the animation looks good to this day. Actually, the only thing I really didn't like about it was when they introduced Wrath. Never was a fan of that character and never will be. Other than that, I enjoyed this. I still need to watch Conqueror of Shamballa which concludes that adaptation's story, but that's for another time.

I also have to mention that I remember seeing the first OP, as well as a clip of an unspecified episode from TV, which was more than 15 years ago. This was when they actually showed anime on TV and it aired on Sunday morning. Yeah, times were different back then, but at least they aired NGE at night instead of morning.

As for Brotherhood, there's not much to say other than it follows the manga it should. I can see why people enjoy it (myself included) and that's why I'll give a 10/10. It deserves it. It's not because of the overall score it has, but because I enjoyed it that much. I also don't think it's overrated or anything.

Finally, I have to mention that the English dub for both adaptations were really good. Especially Ed's English VA, who did a fantastic job. Same can be said about the rest of the cast, even though there are a few changes between the adaptations.

The latter one also happens to be my 1100th watched series in MAL. The 1000th one was Wolf's Rain. I've already watched it once, but I'll discuss more about that in the future, as I want to finish the remaining few episodes first.

PS.

Spoiler

Hughes's death still stands as the most devastating one in anime.

Build Divide: Code #000000

Build Divide: Code Black

Watched: Ep 12 (completed)
Enjoyment: 6/10

And so it has reached the end. It was alright, though I still don't understand the rules of that card game. Same can be said about what the villain's seeking. Not much else to say about this one.

Oh, and looks like it's far from over, as the ending hints at a sequel. The way it ended, that's to be expected, I suppose.

Puraore! Pride of Orange

Puraore! Pride of Orange

Watched: Ep 12 (completed)
Enjoyment: 8/10

Well, that was quick. I was expecting more than that one match, which was disappointing. The ending dance was cool, though. Still, I won't consider this entirely disappointing as I actually enjoyed it. For the record, I'm not going to play the mobile game, just to see how the story continues. At least not now.

Komi Can't Communicate

Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu.

Watched: Ep 10-12 (completed)

What more there is to say about this one, other than it was great. Easily the best of this trio. Also, yay for the 2nd season. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, MrGarland said:

Fullmetal Alchemist

Fullmetal Alchemist

Watched: Ep 21-51 (completed)
Enjoyment: 9/10

Watched: Ep 1-64 (completed)

More than three years of planning and several months of watching, I've finally managed to watch FMA adaptations. I was going to take my time with them, but when I saw that Netflix was going to remove them by the end of 2021, I had to hurry up and watch them before it was too late. The latter one was the worst, as I had to marathon the entire thing within several days. All that can be said, I'm done doing marathons for a while.

Anyway, what can I say about these? The first adaptation, even though it doesn't follow the manga as much as Brotherhood, was pretty good. Not to mention, the animation looks good to this day. Actually, the only thing I really didn't like about it was when they introduced Wrath. Never was a fan of that character and never will be. Other than that, I enjoyed this. I still need to watch Conqueror of Shamballa which concludes that adaptation's story, but that's for another time.

I also have to mention that I remember seeing the first OP, as well as a clip of an unspecified episode from TV, which was more than 15 years ago. This was when they actually showed anime on TV and it aired on Sunday morning. Yeah, times were different back then, but at least they aired NGE at night instead of morning.

As for Brotherhood, there's not much to say other than it follows the manga it should. I can see why people enjoy it (myself included) and that's why I'll give a 10/10. It deserves it. It's not because of the overall score it has, but because I enjoyed it that much. I also don't think it's overrated or anything.

Finally, I have to mention that the English dub for both adaptations were really good. Especially Ed's English VA, who did a fantastic job. Same can be said about the rest of the cast, even though there are a few changes between the adaptations.

The latter one also happens to be my 1100th watched series in MAL. The 1000th one was Wolf's Rain. I've already watched it once, but I'll discuss more about that in the future, as I want to finish the remaining few episodes first.

PS.

Reveal hidden contents

Hughes's death still stands as the most devastating one in anime.

Excellent choice. Glad you heavily enjoyed the show!

fire-force_portrait-key-art-normal-mediu

Started getting into it, and it completely cleared my assumptions. Having a blast so far watching it, and cannot wait to get back to watching anime once again.

• Like 3

I started watching Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans S1P2 last night. S1P1 was phenomenal and I loved the intro song Raise your Flag by Man on a Mission so I have been looking forward to Part 2 for like 2 months waiting for my hold at the library to come in. I  was not disappointed, okay maybe a little bit since they changed the intro song for part 2 but that's par for the course. Only 2 episodes in but things got real, real fast. I knew some stiff was going to go down on the colony but man I was not prepared for it. Can't wait to watch episode 3!

• Like 1

Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san

113679l.jpg

I enjoyed this and Nagatoro is cute.

But I have to say that I've watched Takagi-san before Nagatoro-san and I'll say, Takagi-san is still the best teaser.

nagatoro-ijiranaide-nagatoro-san.gif

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan

105377l.jpg

"Can you honestly pack all your feelings into just a single word?"

6d2f0f59b5050a5e03cb66ea3d14c38bcb2a888c

• Like 2

I sort of have / Have not stopped watching anime

I am watching Demon Slayer every sunday though.

The last one i finished has to be Golgo 13 Just rewatched it ? I have around 180 Anime watched.. So i am a little burnt out

I still keep my crunchyroll subscription to support the community though?

• Like 1