The last anime you saw?

Aexuz

1 hour ago, Neku-tan said:

Girls & Panzer + specials

I really enjoyed this one, now waiting to see the movies. The opening and ending were also great (although I knew the opening song since 2012. Choucho is still one of my favourite anison singers). Definitely recommend it!

Choucho's music is excellent. Haven't seen Girls & Panzer, but I have heard DreamRiser countless times, and that song springs to mind when I see the poster. I'll make sure to watch the anime sometime.

• Like 2

120036l.jpg?_gl=1*1nb5mgk*_ga*MTEwNTgwNj

I still don't really understand or get this 'it's too expensive for Toonami' excuse to me. Just seems like a ridiculous BS excuse. But fine whatever. Either way Demon Slayer S2 a.k.a. Demon Slayer Entertainment District Arc started on Funimation subscription only today. I have one so I guess I'll be watching it this way instead. I guess I should just be glad that I get to watch it at all.

GREAT start. This series is always hype. ?

• Like 3

33f6a21601facf32992a534b10f72dbf--anime-

Damn, it's been a long time since I saw this one. I remember being fascinated with it when it came out, and even today it's visually fun to watch. I just like when Japanese animation is not aggressive, but fluid. Well, for the most part. It doesn't happen a lot, but some moments the characters will move a bit robotically, look like they are gliding along the ground, and in one instance, be missing some animation frames as they snap into their designated position. The CGI scenery, while a bit dated, still provides a neat contrast to the cell animated characters residing in them, and I will always love Tezuka's round character designs. It is a bit weird when they get close-ups, and the animators try to make sense by giving them uncanny realistic features.

However, I also remember it being not good storywise, with the focus all over the place and plots that never go in any satisfying direction. Unfortunately, that part is also true. Whenever I felt I was just about to ease into a characters story, another one would jump out and steal focus. And while I'm waiting for the important stuff to happen with that one, the film will stop the story in its tracks JUST to show off its art. Characters are introduced only to get axed out a few scenes in, and one subplot that got a decent amount of build-up got resolved off screen with nothing to show for it. It's all over the place is what I'm saying.

Lastly, I want to talk about it as an adaptation of Osamu Tezuka's manga.

51oxYY-W24L.jpg

It's a bad one. When he was alive, Tezuka refused to let be adapted, and reading it yourself, you can definitely see where he came from; it's just not strong adaptation material; the book doesn't even have a proper ending, it just kinda stops.

ANYWAYS, The movie got me interested in the original story, and back then and even now I was surprised how much didn't make the film. Like, so surprised I wondered why the creators even bothered. I could get into the specifics, but to sum it up, the anime makes so many alterations, so many additions and subtractions, that simply changing the name of the characters would turned it into an original product; that's how little the film has in common with the manga.

But hey, the original DVD release I got was only $5 purchase, and from what research I did I it's no worse quality-wise compared to the more recent bluray release, so I'll keep it.

Edited by RedRodriguez87
  • Like 2

oECUZpV.jpg

Could never get anyone else on board with it, but as a kid Gundam was one of those early things that blew my f—ing mind. It probably was the movies but I remember catching them one weekend on Toonami or CN and being absolutely distraught that characters could get wiped away like they did in that show. It was gritty, somewhat eye opening, and that feeling has always stayed somewhat in the back of my head. Some 20 years later I decided to check this out for fun and burnt through an entire night because this really does capture that same spirit. Gundam is one of those few things that really captures a feeling of tragedy with the themes of honor, courage, and innocence and this ova seemed to take that to another level, even just in the form of its playful soundtrack. Really dug this.

VBtiyog.jpg

I’ve heard Leiji Matsumoto’s stuff is stuff is similar in style and tone, so now i’m checking it all out starting with the OG battleship yamato but so far it doesn’t seem to be quite hitting the same gears. I plan on following through but if anyones seen it, what’s your opinion. Any recs would also be appreciated!

• Like 2

SFAMovie.jpg

Another movie I hadn't seen in a long time, and while I didn't feel strongly about it then, man I completely forgot how much this sucked.

Plot wise, it's another instance of the story revolving around a newly introduced character who dies at the end, which means we gotta sacrifice meaning and screen time to established characters so we can try (and fail) to care about these not-going-anywhere-after-this-movie additions.

Though I guess I can say it wasn't the worst part. Nah, that would be the fight scenes. There is nothing in the world more frustrating in a fighting game anime than having easily readable characters, smooth animation, and then completely fucking it up with the absolute worst choreography, camera angles and editing I have ever seen PERIOD. Scenes abruptly jump from one to the next. Characters move like feathers in the wind, flailing around like they have no weight to them. Fights are shot so fucking close to the characters or with something obstructing the view, like the anime is trying its damndest to make sure you have little to no idea as to what the hell is going on, with Chun-Li getting the worst of this; I swear her midsection has more screen time than she does, always filling up 80% of the screen and not ONCE looking even remotely sexy or fanservicy. I used to think Art of Fighting was the worse when it came to fight scenes, but shit, at least I could still tell what was happening in them!

Please help me understand how the hell this POS got high praise ever from anybody, because this to me is the worst animated spin-off related to SF I have ever seen. I'd honestly take the cartoon over this. To think Manga tried to use this to commemorate the 10 year anniversary of Street Fighter 2, when they could've just as easily rereleased the SF2 movie with the PSX exclusive cutscenes.

Edited by RedRodriguez87
  • Like 3

49303.jpg

I started watching the Chimera arc of Hunter X Hunter, I watched about a third of it, it's entertaining but it is also heavy in fighting shounen tropes, not a fan of the pacing either, imo it is vastly inferior to the Yorknew City arc, which was fantastic. ofc my opinion on this arc might change since it is a very long arc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shuumatsu no Harem/World's End Harem

episodes 1-4

117296l.jpg?_gl=1*kwxq86*_ga*MTA3NDY5MDExMi4xNjQyMjIyNDEz*_ga_26FEP9527K*MTY0Nzg2MTYzNS4yOC4xLjE2NDc4NjE5MDQuNDY.

Watched a few episodes "for science". The premise is pretty funny, but otherwise the anime is not great. The animation is meh. The episodes I saw are basically a panel-for-panel retelling of the manga, from what I can tell. Just skip it, regardless of the version.

• Like 2

Just finished this series and it’s an instant favourite. Absolutely hilarious! Never read the manga before seeing this either. Couldn’t stop watching. I even binged the entire infamous Endless Eight arc in a single sitting (I don’t recommend for sanity’s sake). I feel like I can recite every line from that arc by heart.

Edited by SmileSlice
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

goJyMNld1sDh9WpUyvBpC2cxT2Q.jpg

On a whim, I sat down and binged this season, as it was the one of the two that everyone holds in high regard. And it was pretty much what I thought it was; a familiar but beautifully-animated joke that hit punchline right before it got old. Great animation aside, I've just heard these setups and jokes before and better. 

Watching this, I kept thinking about another series, the Irresponsible Captain Tylor. That stars another (arguably) non-main main character that's leap-and-bounds in ability above all others, and yet is surrounded by people who can't seem to catch on to that fact, minus one or two outliers. The two series share the similarity that 80% of the series revolves around the plot of

Person A: Oh, Person B is useless!

Person B: *does thing that outclasses all people in the series*

Person A: Oh, perhaps he's NOT useless...

Person B: *last episode act is doing something slightly silly*

Person A: Nah, it must've been a fluke. I'll continue to think he's useless.

Because of how repetitive this gets early, this is balanced out by the rest of the cast. Tylor pulls this off ok, but OPM doesn't set up characters I found interesting, or that I feel might surprise me later on. Off the top of my head, we got the eager pupil, the "I'm weak but I try really hard" jobber, the Elitists begging to be taken down a peg, and the old guy. Oh, and villains just cause trouble and exposit on their powers for no reason. I didn't hate it, and I thought it ended on the perfect kind of climax. I've just seen this kind of story before done better.

I've heard people try and make some connection between Saitama and Deadpool, both characters living on earth same as everyone else, and yet whose powers put them in their own little world they can't escape. On the surface that seems legit, but it rings hallow after 2nd thoughts.

In Deadpool's case, the writers will pump the brakes on the humor and silliness and show him for the broken and tragic mess of a man he is. Saitama gets Episode 1, expressing how this is affecting him mentally, not being able to experience the simple things normal people can, but then it stops at episodes' end. From there, his plight just devolves into "I want a strong opponent", with the writers doing what was done to Tylor and put him into the Mystery Box. Any time he has a chance to show who he really is, he says/does something vague and then wanders off from the plot.

So yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts. It's pretty funny, albeit understandable, how the creators tried to treat this like it could be a heavily marketable New Big Thing, instead of something best dished out in small doses.

Edited by RedRodriguez87