Least Favorite Kinds of Trophies

Dreakon139

Types of Trophies  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Your least favorite types of trophies?

• Trophies based around difficulty (Beat the game on Hard/Crushing)
    • Trophies based around online modes (Win in all variations of multiplayer modes)
    • Trophies based around collectibles (Find all 100 treasures/100% of blast shards)
    • Trophies based around speed (Complete the game in under 6 hours)
    • Trophies based around main quest/side quests (Complete 'So and so quest')
    • Trophies based around perfection (Beat a level/game without dying/Take 0 damage)
    • Trophies based around number of players (Complete something with a full party/3 other players)
    • Trophies based around losing/failing (Lose 100 matches/Die 20 times in one level)
    • Trophies based around something meaningless (Play the game before 9am)
    • Trophies based around time spent (Spend 24 active hours in Create mode)

There are a lot of different kinds of trophies that could very well piss you off. I tried my best to think of them all and relevant examples, if you can think of any more please suggest them and I'll add them to the poll. You can choose as many from the list as you like.

Trophy Description (Brief Example)

Trophies based around difficulty (Beat the game on Hard/Crushing)

Trophies based around online modes (Win in all variations of multiplayer modes)

Trophies based around collectibles (Find all 100 treasures/100% of blast shards)

Trophies based around speed (Complete the game in under 6 hours)

Trophies based around main quest/side quests (Complete 'So and so quest')

Trophies based around perfection (Beat a level/game without dying/Take 0 damage)

Trophies based around number of players (Complete something with a full party/3 other players)

Trophies based around losing/failing (Lose 100 matches/Die 20 times in one level)

Trophies based around something meaningless (Play the game before 9am)

Trophies based around time spent (Spend 24 active hours in Create mode)

I've got a somewhat of a three way tie here, but I decided to just choose one to talk about: Trophies based around number of players. Finding people to cooperate with you online is a pain in the ass. Most of the time, you're going to run into people who don't give a damn about you trying to get a trophy. Sometimes, they'll even try to sabotage you and make it more difficult.

In a different specific case, LittleBigPlanet 2's Dive In twenty five times for a trophy was the most annoying thing ever. You have to jump in with another random player, and from there, you have to finish a level with them, or at least that's what I'm assuming, since the trophy description only gives you "and don't leave right away" or something. To start, the Dive In feature is really bogus, because connecting with another player in the first place fails nine times out of ten. And should you be lucky enough to end up with another player, then you've got to convince them to a finish a level with you, because if you're playing a community level, they usually leave before the end because most community levels are crap. Another problem is getting kicked, because accidentally accepting join requests happens all of the time, since the bubble prompt always comes up no matter what you're doing unless you turn it off completely.

• Like 1

I've got a somewhat of a three way tie here, but I decided to just choose one to talk about: Trophies based around number of players. Finding people to cooperate with you online is a pain in the ass. Most of the time, you're going to run into people who don't give a damn about you trying to get a trophy. Sometimes, they'll even try to sabotage you and make it more difficult.

I'm not a huge fan of them either. However, in some cases (like the grappling hook trophy in LBP2 requiring 4 players, Castle Crashers resuscitating all players at least once while 4 people are playing), I happen to have 3 controllers and thusly only need one person online to cooperate with me to do them.

Someones even finding that one person can be tough though. :P

There were a few I could have voted for, but given the option of a single vote, I chose:

"Trophies based around online modes (Win in all variations of multiplayer modes)"

For the most part, I can not stand many of the online trophies. NOt that I have anything against online play, as I do enjoy it, but more so the fact that many games require just stupid amounts of time online to earn the trophies.

Unless a game is outstanding, the chances of me playing it online for 40+ hours (or more), or to put up with the plethora of idiots some of these games attract is not going to happen.

I for one would like to see all games' trophies attainable offline (up to the Platinum); with online trophies required for 100% completion.

i don't really mind online trophies as much anymore, as long as the servers are up when im trying to get them. i just don't like collectible trophies at all. the thing about me is that im not very good at looking for things, and those kind of trophies taunt me <_<

I for one would like to see all games' trophies attainable offline (up to the Platinum); with online trophies required for 100% completion.

Well you've got to remember the games that are honestly focused around the online play, namely first person shooters like Call of Duty. Also, half the fun in collecting trophies is competing with your friends, in which case online is pretty much going to be a necessity, so the online bit is already there.

Is something wrong with me? Im the exact oppisite of the reactions on this page. Personally, i love a challenge. I would rather go for a tough game. Whenever i do, i will ALWAYS begin at the hardest difficulty if there is a trophy or doing so. But heres problem #1:

I like to take my sweet time. So "Beating the game in So-so time" Is a problem for me. Which takes me into my next point.

For taking my sweet time, i LOVE to get all the collectibles. For some reason, hunting for collectibles for a while makes it all the more better once i get them. Playing infamous over my friends house was a joy for me. Its like i was a drug addict searching for crack. (Which i do not do, nor am i trying to mock those that do) Along with collectibles, is side quests. I always get good fun out of these. Its like leveling up, or gaining another bit of currency. I also love to try and beat the game without dying if i can help it. 100% completion in a game is great for me. (FFXIII is my one true love)

Now online is usually fun. Except when you need a full game to do something, and all players need to cooperate. Sometimes, its nearly impossible when little kids decide to ruin it for you. Apart from that, i love doing different online modes, unless its something rediculous like Win 250 times online, or kill 10,000 people. Thats why im never stepping near Unreal tournament, Uncharted 2 DLC maps, or lost planet.

So really, my only beef is:

Meaningless trophies

Time oriented trophies

Losing Trophies

I'm glad to see that "number of players" and "online" are so high. Nothing worse than having to rely on other people for your trophies, because it takes all aspects of skill out of them and reduces them to pot luck - can you find a co-operative group of people, do you have enough controllers / willing victims to help you, etc.

I'm glad to see that "number of players" and "online" are so high. Nothing worse than having to rely on other people for your trophies, because it takes all aspects of skill out of them and reduces them to pot luck - can you find a co-operative group of people, do you have enough controllers / willing victims to help you, etc.

You could argue, for the "number of players" trophies at least, that they're trying to encourage players to play the game with a "full party". Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. In some cases people miss out on the fun of a game like Little Big Planet, or Castle Crashers, or Borderlands (not sure if this has any "number of players" trophies) by playing through the whole thing alone.

Granted that's their choice if they want to play that way, but you don't have to get the trophy either.

You could argue, for the "number of players" trophies at least, that they're trying to encourage players to play the game with a "full party". Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. In some cases people miss out on the fun of a game like Little Big Planet, or Castle Crashers, or Borderlands (not sure if this has any "number of players" trophies) by playing through the whole thing alone.

Granted that's their choice if they want to play that way, but you don't have to get the trophy either.

This was my thinking as well. Myself, i wouldn't buy a game unless at least 2 other friends decided to buy it. It does add to the games overall fun level. As you mentioned with LBP, its better when one of your good friends doesn't know what to do, so just decieds to throw you into a pit of fire, than a screaming 5 year old kid that doesn't have a clue of what do do except kill you.

for me, its:

- online trophies: self-explanatory, boosting some games is annoying as hell

- speed: i wanna enjoy the dam game, not make it a race

- number of players: i hate having to rely on others to get trophies, makes me feel like i cant do it myself

Difficulty based trophies are the only ones i get caught up on, most of the time i'll never even bother with them but i dont seem to have a problem with any other trophies, the multiplayer ones are ok if you can actually find someone to play with.

• 3 weeks later...

Collectibles, online and speed. Why? With collectibles it's a very annoying going out of your way and enjoying the game just for some meaningless collectible. Online well a lot of trophies are hard to achieve or sometimes servers might go down. Speed, sometimes you have to do multiple playthroughs (Normal, Difficulty, Collectibles, Speedrun)

Also I hate beating the game more than one time although I've had to in order to get plats. (Infamous 1 & 2)

Collectibles, online and speed. Why? With collectibles it's a very annoying going out of your way and enjoying the game just for some meaningless collectible. Online well a lot of trophies are hard to achieve or sometimes servers might go down. Speed, sometimes you have to do multiple playthroughs (Normal, Difficulty, Collectibles, Speedrun)

Also I hate beating the game more than one time although I've had to in order to get plats. (Infamous 1 & 2)

even though I disagree with you, I'm not saying your opinion is not a valid one. :)

as far as Collectibles go, I like these cause they increase the, My enjoyment of the game because they would most times have you go places in the game that you would not usually have to in order to complete the game. therefore opening up the vast world of a game. having you have to explore certain sections and seeing the game from a different perspective. sure enough it can be a bit complicated just for 1 collectible item that might not even give you that trophy your after, but if you take a sec you might see that 1 thing the developers didn't want you to miss about that game. for example, FC2. they were a few of the diamonds that were only reachable by gliders, but getting to the gliders were a pain. then gliding became a pain. but once you got the hang of gliding, the scenery that the developers created that can only be seen from gliding was spectacular. the fun of gliding was awesome once you got the controllers down. and even though I know all collectibles aren't this much fun most do increase the fun factor and worth of the game just by taking that detour from the mundane straight forward trophy. well, for Me anyway. I enjoy Collectibles. :)

as much as I would like to agree with you on the fact that Online trophies can be quite hard @ times and ridiculous, I would separate them. Competition trophies and Co-op. I have no love for Competition trophies where you gotta get 10,000 kills or reaching level 50 where you gotta get 10,000 kills a level. no love @ all. Co-op trophies on the other hand where it is a team effort can be quite fun. and can't help making friendships on the network that can actually be of benefit for future gaming efforts. no love for server issues which yes can be quite frustrating.

as for the Multiple playthroughs, this too is a necessary evil. most players usually need to get a feel of a game before they can really get into it. everyone can't start the game on hardcore and expect to complete it. I think keeping the HC locked gives one something to strive for. starting out on HC, even for the most advance players can be a deterant really if one hasn't actually gotten a good feel of that game. I don't mind the multiple playthroughs cause most times I get to catch things in the background that I missed on My 1st playthrough. plus if I'm paying more than $30 for a game i want My moneys worth.

I know most will disagree with almost everything I said here but even though it's all about getting that 100% Platinum, it's also about squeezing as much fun out of that game and making sure I get that that feeling that it was worth what I paid for it.