Game Informer's top 100 RPG's

skinner49

10 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

I won't comment on the actual rankings because they're obviously completely subjective, but the definition of 'RPG' they're working with is uselessly broad. Bastion? Horizon: Zero Dawn? Destiny? XCOM? Sure, these games may have some light RPG elements (read: "stuff what's got numbers on it"), but so does almost every AAA game released in the last 5 years. That's not enough on its own to call something an RPG.

Destiny, Bloodborne, and Mass Effect all being on the same list under the guise of RPG is so fundamentally dumb that it hurts.

• Like 3

Yeah, it seems like a pretty broad definition of RPG. It would be interesting to see a list with a stricter definition, so that more actual RPGs could be included.

But the main problem with these lists is that it's hard to tell if a game is included because it's good, or because it's influential.

Anyway, the list isn't bad, it's mostly decent, although the rankings will vary from gamer to gamer.

As said before, many of these titles are not necessarily RPG's (though it's not unreasonable to call some of them Action RPG's, which qualifies them for this list). I think the fact that they forced themselves to put HUNDRED games in the list kind of forced this, because if they sticked to pure RPG's, they would end up adding lots of RPG's that are perhaps mediocre, and don't deserve to be on a "Best of all Time "list. (Though the obvious solution would be to make a top 50, that isn't quite as clickbaity.)

I haven't played nearly enough of these titles to have an opinion on the overall list. 

The opinions I AM comfortable expressing:

- Skyrim should not be the top spot. Maybe it's one of the biggest, one of the most engaging, or the most popular Action RPG's, but THE greatest RPG of all time? I don't think so. Many Morrowind fans even complain about how much depth was stripped in comparison to the earlier game. 

- Chrono Trigger should be number 1 in my opinion ^.^ 

- Would definitely put Undertale and Dark Souls higher up the list

- I get that Pokemon Red and Blue started the whole craze, but imo the Silver-Gold-Crystal games were superior in every way. 

• Like 1

for the people who like it, i once made a thread here with a full ranking of all rpg's purely based on every player on this site.

on my thread everyone who likes can post his/her top3 of favorite rpg's and a ranking will be based on everyones favorite rpg's. full details can be found in the topic.

if you want to see the rankings, or want to make a post yourself. the thread is still open for reactions and if enough reactions show up, an even better detailed ranking will be posted!

here the link for everyone who likes to see/post there: post your three favorite rpg games ever played

Iv'e read the article, and there are a lot I disagree with.  Personally, no games within 6 months of the publishing should be on there.  Persona 5, Horizon Breath of the wild,and Torment should be given at least a year to let sit, mull it over and the decide where they sit.  Also, like said before, there are some that don't fit the mold of what I consider an RPG per se, such as Destiny, Zelda: BoTW, and Castlevania: SOTN They do have 8 of my top 20 games of all time on the list though, so they do have some good taste.  And Chrono Trigger is the greatest game of all time, not just for RPGs, not Skyrim

• Like 2

A quite decent list but some games here can be included or in higher rankings imo:

The World Ends With You should be higher as it was such a great game on the DS. Maybe someday a possible sequel? Persona 3, 4 and 5 should all be in the top 10, Final Fantasy VII and X can be higher on the list. I fully agree with The Legend of Heroes series games, Ys series games and more Tales of games to be included on the list. Not sure if Zelda is considered an RPG I think its a high fantasy action adventure series.    

Edited by fantrig99

I think the list is way too skewwed toward recent releases and doesn't recognize the games that revolutionized RPGs in the video games industry. Not having Zork, the ORIGINAL Legend of Zelda or Bards Tale on the list at all is fucking embarrassing.

Also no Kingdoms of Amalur or Ni no Kuni? Dark Souls higher than Demons Souls? Dragon Quest VIII @ #51? I know Game Informer took credit but I would love to talk with the people that made the list.

100 RPGs is a lot to rank. I would have put FFVI at the top, personally, but I'm not going to quibble over Skyrim. 

On 1/6/2018 at 4:44 AM, Bullstomp said:

I think the list is way too skewwed toward recent releases and doesn't recognize the games that revolutionized RPGs in the video games industry. Not having Zork, the ORIGINAL Legend of Zelda or Bards Tale on the list at all is fucking embarrassing.

Also no Kingdoms of Amalur or Ni no Kuni? Dark Souls higher than Demons Souls? Dragon Quest VIII @ #51? I know Game Informer took credit but I would love to talk with the people that made the list.

Dark Souls is higher because it's better

On 08.01.2018 at 8:00 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Vladimir Putin does NOT like this list.

You are off topic. Hope psnprofile will stay out of politic. We are just gamers here.

About Putin. Gameinformer ban many countries. Bulgaria is EU and NATO country. So Bulgaria is a good country. Why Gameinformer dont allow access to people with bulgarian ip?

I agree with the majority of the series that are included if not necessarily with the order of quality (Skyrim is not even the best Elder Scrolls title). The list's infatuation with recent titles in action games that seem to be called RPGs because you can change weapons and you have what are arguably called levels is overrated. Some history is at least remembered if not awarded the significance it deserves. Was nice to see the original Deus Ex since the series has all but forgotten its roots. Criminal to have System Shock II so low though.

All too many games seem to "age poorly" because of graphics levels while I think it more likely that many game players have just become all too superficial. Sort of like seeing a very handsome woman in her 60s and considering her less attractive than the current batch of 20ish airbrushed so called "hotties" that have a breakdown/tantrum every time someone expects something resembling maturity or depth.

No list will ever be perfect except in the eyes of the person who made it so just look for titles that are new to your radar and appreciate some forgotten gems.

1 hour ago, IoIly said:

You are off topic. Hope psnprofile will stay out of politic. We are just gamers here.

About Putin. Gameinformer ban many countries. Bulgaria is EU and NATO country. So Bulgaria is a good country. Why Gameinformer dont allow access to people with bulgarian ip?

I can assure you they weren't being serious. As to why Gameinformer blocks certain IPs, I have no idea but I wouldn't worry you're not missing much.

Edited by boringname123
  • Like 1