Game Informer's top 100 RPG's

skinner49

10 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

And that kind of attitude he displayed is why I won't play the dark souls games

You should. They're great games. Each installation gives something a little different from the one before it. Ive enjoyed each one very much. Demon's is a great game on it'sown, so is Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3. I've spent easily over 1,500 hours across the series, and I have yet to play Bloodborne (which technically isn't a Souls game). You'd be cheating yourself if you didn't at least try one of the games.

• Like 2

On 06/01/2018 at 10:44 AM, Bullstomp said:

I think the list is way too skewwed toward recent releases and doesn't recognize the games that revolutionized RPGs in the video games industry. Not having Zork, the ORIGINAL Legend of Zelda or Bards Tale on the list at all is fucking embarrassing.

Those games would all - for sure - need to be on any list of the most influential RPGs, but not necessarily the 100 best in today’s money. They aren’t gonna draw anyone in now, aside from as  interesting curiosities for folks interested in the history of games. I mean, Pong was the granddaddy of all action games but I cant imagine it making any list of the best 100 action games nowadays.

Think of it this way - if you had to list your top 100 films of all time, would you include ‘Arrival of a Train’? It might be the first true motion picture, but it’s a stretch to argue it should take up a spot on the top100 list, isn’t it? 

Personally, i do think this list is a little bit off having a game as recent as skyrim at the top, but then, any list is subjective, and as a piece of website content it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do - getting clicks and getting people talking.

ps. Not sure of the whole lot, but I reckon my personal list’s top spot would have to be Earthbound, Chronotrigger or, maybe Illusion of Gaia, but there would be a good few modern games in the top 10 - Dark Souls 2,  Mass Effect 2 and Fallout 3 for sure.

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

You should. They're great games. Each installation gives something a little different from the one before it. Ive enjoyed each one very much. Demon's is a great game on it'sown, so is Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3. I've spent easily over 1,500 hours across the series, and I have yet to play Bloodborne (which technically isn't a Souls game). You'd be cheating yourself if you didn't at least try one of the games.

Bloodborne is great - you will enjoy I’m sure! If you haven’t played it I’d also heartily endorse Salt and Sanctuary, which in many ways i smore of a Souls game than Bloodborne, and does a really bizarrely good job of transposing the formula to a 2D plane!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 5:56 PM, Stargazer2600 said:

And that kind of attitude he displayed is why I won't play the dark souls games

I know, right? How dare I express my opinion that one Souls game is better than another one? What "attitude" is that, anyway?

I swear, people take everything so seriously here. I mean, it's not like I platted Demon's Souls 3 separate times. Clearly, I don't like it or anything. xD

On 1/14/2018 at 6:11 PM, Phil said:

You need to remedy that situation. That game is awesome.

9 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I know, right? How dare I express my opinion that one Souls game is better than another one? What "attitude" is that, anyway?

Liking it isn't the issue. It's the whole " all souls games are better than _____" or "play souls or your a filthy casual" 

At one point, I seriously was thinking about playing demon souls, that is until a bunch of idiots kept running around forums and bashing anyone that didn't want to by telling them to "praise the sun"

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying when you said "Dark Souls is higher because it's better.". I thought you were saying souls is better than anything period.

i just get tired of that kind of attitude, if people like souls, great, but they shouldn't be D-bags about it. Not saying you are btw, as I said, I could have misunderstood your saying.

On 1/14/2018 at 7:11 PM, Phil said:

As I said above, I can't stand the community, the community had ruined any chance if me playing them. It's the same reason I won't watch and DBZ it DB anything.

21 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

Liking it isn't the issue. It's the whole " all souls games are better than _____" or "play souls or your a filthy casual" 

At one point, I seriously was thinking about playing demon souls, that is until a bunch of idiots kept running around forums and bashing anyone that didn't want to by telling them to "praise the sun"

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying when you said "Dark Souls is higher because it's better.". I thought you were saying souls is better than anything period.

i just get tired of that kind of attitude, if people like souls, great, but they shouldn't be D-bags about it. Not saying you are btw, as I said, I could have misunderstood your saying.

As I said above, I can't stand the community, the community had ruined any chance if me playing them. It's the same reason I won't watch and DBZ it DB anything.

It’s true - there is an endlessly irritating minority of Souls ‘fans’ who are insufferable on forums like this one - and I can certainly understand the primal revulsion that a community can have on new players to a game (CoD, DOTA, Monster Hunter... there are a lot of games that suffer from similar issues), but if you do have any interest in the Souls games, I’d still encourage you to give them a go. 

2 things worth remembering here:

1. Souls games - despite the nonsense spouted by the ‘Git gud’, ‘Prepare to die’, ‘wah wah, you’re a filthy casual’ crowd - are not actually all that difficult.

Those people like to think they are someow better than others because they are good at a specific type of game, but Souls games are just that - a specific type of game. Not really a harder type of game. They take a certain type of precise, methodical approach to beat, but really, I personally find a lot of other types of games harder - Nex Machina, for example (an arcade style twin-stick shooter I played recently that is only 6 levels long), does not have the same ‘hard-core’ reputation, but was a hundred times harder to platinum than any Souls game i’ve platted. (which is all of them btw - not bragging, just pointing out that I know of what I speak)

2. The vast, vast majority of people who really love these games are not douches. The games are designed to be so obtuse and lacking in information that they encorage online cooperation (not necessarily co-op play, but sharing info on bosses, strategies etc.) There are loads more people out there - (like me!) who will happily offer some friendly advice than those who will just tell you to ‘git gud’ 

The fact is, the ‘Git gud’ crowd are generally just mid-level, semi-skilled gamers who stumbled their way through the game like the rest of us, but want to feel special.

The antidote for their bullshit is to look at the rarity of the Souls game platinums - thats when you realise that those folks are not special. The platinums are pretty common really. Anyone who enjoys the games enough to stick with them for a little while will beat them. And that’s a lot of people.... because they are really great!

Anyways, just something to think about.

I hope you don’t let a few dude-bros put you off - and if you do play the games, I hope you enjoy them :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It’s true - there is an endlessly irritating minority of Souls ‘fans’ who are insufferable on forums like this one - and I can certainly understand the primal revulsion that a community can have on new players to a game (CoD, DOTA, Monster Hunter... there are a lot of games that suffer from similar issues), but if you do have any interest in the Souls games, I’d still encourage you to give them a go. 

2 things worth remembering here:

1. Souls games - despite the nonsense spouted by the ‘Git gud’, ‘Prepare to die’, ‘wah wah, you’re a filthy casual’ crowd - are not actually all that difficult.

Those people like to think they are someow better than others because they are good at a specific type of game, but Souls games are just that - a specific type of game. Not really a harder type of game. They take a certain type of precise, methodical approach to beat, but really, I personally find a lot of other types of games harder - Nex Machina, for example (an arcade style twin-stick shooter I played recently that is only 6 levels long), does not have the same ‘hard-core’ reputation, but was a hundred times harder to platinum than any Souls game i’ve platted. (which is all of them btw - not bragging, just pointing out that I know of what I speak)

2. The vast, vast majority of people who really love these games are not douches. The games are designed to be so obtuse and lacking in information that they encorage online cooperation (not necessarily co-op play, but sharing info on bosses, strategies etc.) There are loads more people out there - (like me!) who will happily offer some friendly advice than those who will just tell you to ‘git gud’ 

The fact is, the ‘Git gud’ crowd are generally just mid-level, semi-skilled gamers who stumbled their way through the game like the rest of us, but want to feel special.

The antidote for their bullshit is to look at the rarity of the Souls game platinums - thats when you realise that those folks are not special. The platinums are pretty common really. Anyone who enjoys the games enough to stick with them for a little while will beat them. And that’s a lot of people.... because they are really great!

Anyways, just something to think about.

I hope you don’t let a few dude-bros put you off - and if you do play the games, I hope you enjoy them :)

I remember one time I told one of these "git gud" D-bags to any game that wasn't souls related. I had a fast library at my disposal and it wasn't gonna happen, to him it had to be a souls game cause he didn't play "filthy casual games"

On that day I knew what you just said above about challenging them lol

4 hours ago, Stargazer2600 said:

I remember one time I told one of these "git gud" D-bags to any game that wasn't souls related. I had a fast library at my disposal and it wasn't gonna happen, to him it had to be a souls game cause he didn't play "filthy casual games"

On that day I knew what you just said above about challenging them lol

Yea, but you get crappy people with any online pvp. Competition brings out the true asshat in some people. If you want to play any Souls game without the asshattery, just play them offline. All of the Souls games I've played are 100% plattable offline. The only one I'm not sure of is Bloodborne. The games are only really tough when you're a low level anyways. Once you upgrade a weapon a few times and level up a bit, you start rolling through the games at a steady clip.

I say you should reconsider. I mean, if not, that sucks, but to each their own. It's too bad you were put off on the series.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yea, but you get crappy people with any online pvp. Competition brings out the true asshat in some people. If you want to play any Souls game without the asshattery, just play them offline. All of the Souls games I've played are 100% plattable offline. The only one I'm not sure of is Bloodborne. The games are only really tough when you're a low level anyways. Once you upgrade a weapon a few times and level up a bit, you start rolling through the games at a steady clip.

I say you should reconsider. I mean, if not, that sucks, but to each their own. It's too bad you were put off on the series.

im just finnicky that way. once I say something or put my stance on it, I feel its impossible to go back otherwise I feel like a hypocrite. So many of my friends know my stance on the soul games, last thing I need is their two cents lol

2 hours ago, Stargazer2600 said:

im just finnicky that way. once I say something or put my stance on it, I feel its impossible to go back otherwise I feel like a hypocrite. So many of my friends know my stance on the soul games, last thing I need is their two cents lol

It's not being a hypocrite if you change your mind on trying something. I've changed my view on many things in the 4 decades I've been alive. That's what growing up and maturing is about. It still happens to me at 40! 

I've given shit to friends in the past about stacking plats, yet I've recently said, fuck it. It looks tacky, but I want to plat it on the vita too. Hell, I may even triple stack Injustice and make my profile look even tackier. I've given shit to somebody for stacking all 3 regions of Demon's, yet when somebody offered to let me use their JP and EU versions, I jumped on the occasion. Should said person now give me shit about doing it? Absolutely. That's the beauty of changing our view on something. Take the shit.

We change our minds as humans. If you always stick to one view and never change, no matter what, you'll grow up to be an insufferable ♥. It's not the way to be man. It's not healthy. Besides, getting poked fun at by your friends is normal. Just laugh with them knowing you have an open mind. 

Edited by Phil
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's not being a hypocrite if you change your mind on trying something. I've changed my view on many things in the 4 decades I've been alive. That's what growing up and maturing is about. It still happens to me at 40! 

I've given shit to friends in the past about stacking plats, yet I've recently said, fuck it. It looks tacky, but I want to plat it on the vita too. Hell, I may even triple stack Injustice and make my profile look even tackier. I've given shit to somebody for stacking all 3 regions of Demon's, yet when somebody offered to let me use their JP and EU versions, I jumped on the occasion. Should said person now give me shit about doing it? Absolutely. That's the beauty of changing our view on something. Take the shit.

We change our minds as humans. If you always stick to one view and never change, no matter what, you'll grow up to be an insufferable 2665.png. It's not the way to be man. It's not healthy. Besides, getting poked fun at by your friends is normal. Just laugh with them knowing you have an open mind. 

Well, I doubt my stance on playing the souls series will change anytime soon. As I said, Its kinda been ruined for me but, maybe once there isnt a community anymore and all the D-bags go to some other game, then maybe

100. Torment: Tides of Numenera  

99. Dragon Quest III

98. Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines  

97. Dark Cloud 2

96. Lost Odyssey

95. The World Ends With You

94. Golden Sun

93. Pillars of Eternity  

92. Tactics Ogre: Let Us ­Cling Together

91. Bastion

90. Panzer Dragoon Saga

89. Tales of Symphonia

88. Radiata Stories

87. Vagrant Story

86. Pool of Radiance  

85. Might & Magic: World of Xeen  

84. Horizon Zero Dawn

83. Xenoblade Chronicles

82. South Park: The Stick of Truth  

81. Destiny   

80. Odin Sphere  

79. Dragon’s Dogma  

78. Wasteland

77. Radiant Historia

76. Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar

75. Shadow Hearts: Covenant

74. Monster Hunter Generations

73. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

72. Paper Mario

71. Jade Empire

70. Undertale

69. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

68. Divinity: Original Sin

67. Path of Exile

66. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

65. Mass Effect

64. Darkest Dungeon

63. Valkyria Chronicles

62. Baldur’s Gate

61. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings  

60. Icewind Dale II

59. Chrono Cross

58. Tales of the Unknown, Volume 1: The Bard’s Tale

57. Dragon Age: Inquisition

56. Fable II

55. Skies of Arcadia

54. Grandia II

53.  Star Ocean: The Second Story

52. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

51. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

50. Pokémon Gold & Silver  

49. Xenogears

48. Persona 3

47. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

46. Demon’s Souls

45. Mass Effect 3

44. Fire Emblem: Awakening

43. Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

42. Shadowrun

41. Xenosaga: Episode I – Der Wille zur Macht

40.  Neverwinter Nights  

39. Fallout

38. System Shock 2

37. Diablo III

36. Fallout: New Vegas

35. Final Fantasy X

34. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium

33. Final Fantasy

32. Valkyrie Profile

31. Ultima VII: The Black Gate

30. Persona 4  

29. Suikoden II

28. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

27. EarthBound

26. Dragon Age: Origins

25. Kingdom Hearts II  

24. Dark Souls

23. Final Fantasy IV

22. EverQuest

21. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  

20. Diablo

19. Persona 5

18. Final Fantasy VII

17. Ultima Online

16. Secret of Mana

15. Pokémon Red & Blue
14. Deus Ex

13. Planescape: Torment

12. Fallout 3

11. Bloodborne

10. Final Fantasy Tactics

9. Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn  

8. Diablo II

6. World of Warcraft

5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

4. Mass Effect 2

3. Chrono Trigger

2. Final Fantasy VI

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Quick list above for reference and if anybody doesn't want to go to the article direct.

Source-http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2018/01/01/the-top-100-rpgs-of-all-time.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

Edited by Martain2

6 hours ago, Stargazer2600 said:

Oh well, that’s a shame, but seems we gave it our best shot! :)

Always sad to see bullies win (and to hear that someone has been so brow-beaten that they think changing their mind when presented with new information is hypocritical) but I do understand.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:32 PM, Phil said:

Bloodborne is completely 100 percent doable offline. I did it all myself in 10 days including the DLC.

I very rarely play online games with a lot of people these days anymore. Got tired of all the name calling and racial remarks.

But it's the beast in people.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:59 AM, Spaz said:

Bloodborne is completely 100 percent doable offline. I did it all myself in 10 days including the DLC.

I very rarely play online games with a lot of people these days anymore. Got tired of all the name calling and racial remarks.

But it's the beast in people.

Offline is the most awesome way to do it! Hiring (human) help on bosses is lame, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...