Trophy Thoughts?

I still have my old Atari 2600 and all the game cartridges sitting in the basement of my house.  And yet, I don't think I recognise any of these games as those I've ever owned or played.

It's a shame that my backlog has me swamped, because otherwise I'd seriously think about picking up one or more of these Atari Flashback compilations partially out of nostalgia.  But it doesn't do me any good to purchase stuff that simply is going to go unplayed.

Glad to see there's another one of these coming out. 

I had the original Flashback console over 10 years ago now, and it was sweet, it was like 30 bucks, it was official, it had 40 odd games, 2 remotes, and did I mention it was less than a third of the cost of the RRP of a full price game? Hell, back then the RRP for a PS3 game was 120, so it was a damn quarter of it.

Ever since Nintendo got success with the NES Mini, Sega and Atari, both of whom have had licensed clones out for years, upped their prices due to the nostalgia wave but didn't really up their quality. 30 bucks for a sturdy little mini device is cool, especially a decade ago, but it's cheap plasticy shit compared to the NES Mini and outside of a select couple of the most recent ones, they don't even support HDMI for fuck's sake.

With that in mind, I'm super glad that Atari at least are still shoveling out more of these "collection" type games, played the shit out of the first two on Xbox, and while I'm at it, Rare Replay (and backward compatibility in general) is the sole reason I bought an Xbox One a year and a half or so back. These collection types need to make a comeback if you ask me, Rare Replay is dope, these Atari collections are great, the various Mega Drive collections I have are great. Know what's not great? Picking and choosing and paying up to ten bucks per game digitally, sure it might make more money, maybe, but to be honest, I'd rather pick up a compilation disc for 20/30 odd of older games and dig in. Play some of my own favs, make some new ones (never played Vectorman before the PS3 Genesis collection, love it now), and have a nice physical case to throw on the shelf too.

Anyway, the trophies look alright, same as the first two, I guess. Can't say I'll care enough to go for them though.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2018 at 8:16 PM, DrakeHellsing said:

I still have to get the first two at some point, so a third one is still a welcome to me regardless.  Not sure how tough the trophies would be myself, but I imagine there would be some challenge at the very least.

SOME CHALLENGE!? That's to say the least.. These trophies are insanely difficult! I bet if you check 1 year from now the platinum achievers would be less than 10 people. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 10:43 PM, SuchRemorse said:

SOME CHALLENGE!? That's to say the least.. These trophies are insanely difficult! I bet if you check 1 year from now the platinum achievers would be less than 10 people. 

Compared to the first two collections, these trophies aren't that difficult.. I'd still say this is easily the hardest of the 3 to 100% though, just because of Xari arena.. I have no idea what madman came up with a game like that but it's damn near impossible to complete :l 

Edited by SlimSanta94
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SlimSanta94 said:

Compared to the first two collections, these trophies aren't that difficult.. I'd still say this is easily the hardest of the 3 to 100% though, just because of Xari arena.. I have no idea what madman came up with a game like that but it's damn near impossible to complete :l 

Yeah. I can't get past level 5. Horrible! That game is crazy!

On 1/18/2019 at 0:51 PM, SuchRemorse said:

Yeah. I can't get past level 5. Horrible! That game is crazy!

I beat it last night and got my platinum trophy.. Pause buffering makes the game a million times easier, although it's still pretty tough because it really depends how the bot controlling player 2 behaves.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:46 AM, SlimSanta94 said:

I beat it last night and got my platinum trophy.. Pause buffering makes the game a million times easier, although it's still pretty tough because it really depends how the bot controlling player 2 behaves.

Well that's amazing! You my friend are an Atari GOD! lol..... Hmmm it's Strange though. I see you did get the platinum. But the stats still say 0% earned it. ??‍♂️

20 minutes ago, SuchRemorse said:

Well that's amazing! You my friend are an Atari GOD! lol..... Hmmm it's Strange though. I see you did get the platinum. But the stats still say 0% earned it. ?1f3fb.png‍♂️

It takes awhile for some of the stats to update. Not sure how long generally. If it's like auto-updating our profiles, then maybe it updates every 6 or 12 hours too? *shrug*

37 minutes ago, SuchRemorse said:

Well that's amazing! You my friend are an Atari GOD! lol..... Hmmm it's Strange though. I see you did get the platinum. But the stats still say 0% earned it. ?1f3fb.png‍♂️

Thanks haha :) it still says 0.00% on this site because i'm not listed on the leaderboards and nobody else has the platinum yet.

4 minutes ago, S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y said:

Congrats @SlimSanta94 !

Now that you're done with all 3 games, what would you say which was the hardest and why? :D

Thanks @S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y :) 

I'd say overall Vol.2 is the hardest still. Vol.3 is definitely really difficult to 100% and miles harder than the first just because of Xari arena but because of the fact you can pause buffer to actually play it properly it's very doable at the same time. With Vol.2 90% of the trophies are either really hard or really annoying and the games themselves, missile command, stellar track and asteroids in particular are a nightmare to get trophies on.. xD 

• Like 1