Trophy Thoughts?

• 1 year later...

I didn't even know this existed. I won't be getting it, though - I know almost none of the games involved in the trophies. What the heck is Yars Return? Or Adventure II? I imagine there's a lot of "homebrew" stuff here, but I really have little interest in it.

If anything, it shows the utter lack of ideas that Atari had by the time the 5200 became reality (and I never owned a 5200, anyway). Probably good for a curiosity, but no way am I going to get lured into more punishing trophies for games I neither know nor care about.

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2020 at 2:30 PM, starcrunch061 said:

I didn't even know this existed. I won't be getting it, though - I know almost none of the games involved in the trophies. What the heck is Yars Return? Or Adventure II? I imagine there's a lot of "homebrew" stuff here, but I really have little interest in it.

If anything, it shows the utter lack of ideas that Atari had by the time the 5200 became reality (and I never owned a 5200, anyway). Probably good for a curiosity, but no way am I going to get lured into more punishing trophies for games I neither know nor care about.

This collection is mainly made up of sports games, 5200 games and games from both the 2600 and 5200 that were never released.. it's a pretty crap list overall tbh

• Like 1

Did this collection ever get a physical release or still just digital, and what other stores then UK have it, the Australian store still has never got it and same for the vita list.

and  in what order would the 4 games go from in terms of difficulty?

46 minutes ago, Conker said:

Did this collection ever get a physical release or still just digital, and what other stores then UK have it, the Australian store still has never got it and same for the vita list.

There are listings for it on Ebay so its probably either very rare or only released on disc in certain countries. I know my copy of vol 1 and 2 has multiple languages on the box which normally means mainland Europe so maybe it's only on disc there. Or they could have gotten lazy and used the same text on the uk releases who knows.

I'm probably just going to wait for a sale on psn but the Ebay prices aren't too bad.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 11:46 AM, Conker said:

It got a very limited physical release in some places. 

In order of difficulty i'd rate them as: Vol. 2 / Vol.3 / Vita / Vol. 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 5:47 AM, SlimSanta94 said:

I'm also going to throw this out there, for whatever reason which i'm unsure about, save scumming any of these trophies DOES NOT work on this collection. I decided to test it after beating Adventure II and Yars return and whenever you close the application the games you've been playing reset and you have to start over, so you're essentially uploading an empty save file to the cloud any time you attempt to try it. 

Just here to confirm that this is false. You CAN SAVE SCUM with every game in this collection just as easily as you could in Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 with the cloud save exploit.

Most of the trophies in these collections are far more manageable with the exploit (you can practically save-state wherever you want) so don't get scared away with all the misinformation in this thread. For reference, the "hardest" trophy in vol. 3, "We Don't Actually Need a Photograph" for getting to the end of level 32 in Xari Arena only took about 4-5 hours with the exploit since you can save-scum at the end of each level and slowly chug your way through (and I am awful at Xari Arena). 

If you're looking for a guide, Atarster has several over on playstationtrophies for vols. 1, 2, and 3.
Just remember to save scum often, pause buffer when quick reactions are needed (especially helpful for "Triple Ace" and "We Don't Actually Need a Photograph"), and you'll get your platinum in no time at all.

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 1

On 26/04/2020 at 2:57 PM, ExistentialSolid said:

Just here to confirm that this is false. You CAN SAVE SCUM with every game in this collection just as easily as you could in Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 with the cloud save exploit.

Most of the trophies in these collections are far more manageable with the exploit (you can practically save-state wherever you want) so don't get scared away with all the misinformation in this thread. For reference, the "hardest" trophy in vol. 3, "We Don't Actually Need a Photograph" for getting to the end of level 32 in Xari Arena only took about 4-5 hours with the exploit since you can save-scum at the end of each level and slowly chug your way through (and I am awful at Xari Arena). 

If you're looking for a guide, Atarster has several over on playstationtrophies for vols. 1, 2, and 3.
Just remember to save scum often, pause buffer when quick reactions are needed (especially helpful for "Triple Ace" and "We Don't Actually Need a Photograph"), and you'll get your platinum in no time at all.

Save scumming did not work when I was going for the platinum. I only tried to save scum for Xari arena and whenever I would upload my save I would find that upon boot up it would reset my progress and I’d have to start over, so I had to do the 100% without save scumming. Obviously it seems to work now but at the time it didn’t for some reason. 

1 hour ago, SlimSanta94 said:

Save scumming did not work when I was going for the platinum. I only tried to save scum for Xari arena and whenever I would upload my save I would find that upon boot up it would reset my progress and I’d have to start over, so I had to do the 100% without save scumming. Obviously it seems to work now but at the time it didn’t for some reason. 

I find it a little hard to believe that a basic suspend feature that worked in vol. 1 and vol. 2 was mysteriously broken in vol. 3. Reading the update history doesn't seem to suggest that this feature was ever broken or patched. Is it possible that you misunderstood how to perform the exploit when you attempted it?

I suspect that, instead of returning to the collection's main menu mid-game to create a suspend state, you simply closed the game altogether which would indeed result in you losing all progress. I did run into one instance where saving would not occur in Yars Return if you happened to save during the point tally screen. However, if you tested at least 3 games, as you suggest in your posts (Xari Arena, Yars Return, and Adventure II), then you should have seen it working. 

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 16/01/2019 at 8:43 PM, SuchRemorse said:

SOME CHALLENGE!? That's to say the least.. These trophies are insanely difficult! I bet if you check 1 year from now the platinum achievers would be less than 10 people. 

almost 3 years later, only 6 achievers

• 1 month later...
On 7.1.2018 at 2:40 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Probably going to have hard as fuck trophies.

I can literally count the number of people with the platinums in the first two games on my fingers and toes.

It's the easiest in the series imo. Flashback Volume 1 and 2 had annoying trophies. 

Like for example:

Atari Flashback 1:
Digging Deep
Finish Level 81 or above in arcade Tempest without losing a life in the level

Atari Flashback 2:
Hello, Beta Pegasi!
Get to 60 parsecs in Star Ship's Warp Drive game (Games 10 or 11) (save scum doesn't work here and it's a little bit rng)

Red Sunset
Get to level 19 in arcade Missile Command 

This one was annoying af.

The 3rd one don't have any annoying trophy maybe except the Triple Ace because you have to be fast:

Score at least 65 before refuelling and at least 90 overall in Air Raiders

And 

We Don't Actually Need a Photograph:

Complete all 32 levels in Xari Arena

With Pause buffering and save scumming every level this trophy becomes a joke.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, karpathoulas667 said:

Can someone give any tips on the pause buffering method? I have much difficulty with the Avalanche game. Ok, you pause the game, its still impossible (for me) to actually grab that ball...

And I finished both Vol1 and Vol2 and I think this is the hardest of all.

Hi man,

the most important thing to know:

Moving with the analog stick = fast

Moving with the d-pad buttons = controlable

This might sound stupid but I usually use the analog stick to move, for this particular game I switched to d-pad once I realized that it behaves differently.

I set my sensitivity to 8 and did the pause buffering trick:

Basically what you have to do is press "options" and determine which way you need to move the bar next ( lets say to the right for example)

then you unpause, move to the right (as mentioned with the d-pad) and press options again (all of this has to happen very quickly)

and this way you can adjust your position very precisely until you are below the ball that comes down from above.

Summary:

Options, slight d-pad move to the respective direction, options, rinse and repeat.

If you are unlucky and one ball is falling to the left and the next ball is on the other end to the right, you can still get it, but in these cases I would use the analog stick (because of catching up faster).

As mentioned: Sensitivity was set to 8 for me, but you can play around with it, in case you are not comfortable with that setting.

In case you need a visual reference, let me know, I can show you via shareplay.

Kind regards :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jasko_SOA said:

Hi man,

the most important thing to know:

Moving with the analog stick = fast

Moving with the d-pad buttons = controlable

This might sound stupid but I usually use the analog stick to move, for this particular game I switched to d-pad once I realized that it behaves differently.

I set my sensitivity to 8 and did the pause buffering trick:

Basically what you have to do is press "options" and determine which way you need to move the bar next ( lets say to the right for example)

then you unpause, move to the right (as mentioned with the d-pad) and press options again (all of this has to happen very quickly)

and this way you can adjust your position very precisely until you are below the ball that comes down from above.

Summary:

Options, slight d-pad move to the respective direction, options, rinse and repeat.

If you are unlucky and one ball is falling to the left and the next ball is on the other end to the right, you can still get it, but in these cases I would use the analog stick (because of catching up faster).

As mentioned: Sensitivity was set to 8 for me, but you can play around with it, in case you are not comfortable with that setting.

In case you need a visual reference, let me know, I can show you via shareplay.

Kind regards :) 

Thanx mate, it worked! Didn't realize you have to push options every millisecond!

• Like 1