New Japan Pro Wrestling

TheLiamK

Heyo, 

So I'm a bit of a wrestling fan and I'm looking to expand outside of WWE. TNA isn't...what I'm looking for but I just found out a Japanese promotion has a service similar(i think) to WWE network and I was thinking of signing up. I'm not familar with the promotion, like, I know a lot of big people made themselves there, but I've not watched it. Any one have any recommendations for/against?

• Like 1

Well they semi-main evented their Big Pay Per View a couple of days ago with 2 guys from Winnipeg and a guy from winnipeg providing the colour commentary...so they can't be all bad :P

Seriously though NJPW is a much more serious promotion than WWE and has been responsible for some of the best matches in the previous couple of years. Since you are familiar with WWE here is a match from WK10 that features Aj vs Nakamura and it kind of explains why people want to see those 2 face off against each other at Mania (you know instead of Aj vs Shane)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheLiamK said:

God I love Nakamura so much :D It's 999 yen a month, so like £7 I think. I might try it for a month to have a look. I'm hoping it's going to be more like NXT rather than raw/smackdown; more wrasslin', less talking.  

Yeah it is much more wrestling than talking. They also do a lot more tournaments and they have this weird fascination with making the Belts and Wrestlers mean something...not sure why they think that is important :P

I ditched WWE years ago, I have recently started watching again, but I skip through everything and just watch AJ Styles, Nakamura and Asuka, I don't care about anything else, it pain me to see the way they treat Nakamura, he needs to return to New Japan. If you signed up to New Japan World, I can recommend some matches for you.

Okada Vs Omega 2017 trilogy:

-Wrestle Kingdom 11

-Dominion

-G1 Climax
Nakamura Vs Ibushi (Wrestle Kingdom 9)

Nakamura Vs Tanahashi (G1 Climax Final, 2015)

Omega Vs. Jericho (Wrestle Kingdom 12) 

Omega Vs Naito (G1 Climax Semi Final, 2016)

Ibushi Vs Naito (G1 Climax Day 1, 2017)

Okada Vs AJ Styles (Dominion 7.5, 2015)

Ricochet Vs Will Ospreay (Best of the Super Juniors XXIII, 2016)

Tanahashi Vs Naito (Wrestle Kingdom 11)

Tanahashi Vs Okada (King of Pro Wrestling, 2013) My memory is a bit fuzzy on this one, but I think it's KOPW 13

Okada Vs. Shibata (Sakura Genesis, 2017) Great match, unfortunately overshadowed by Shibata's career ending injury. I marked out when he unexpectedly showed up on the last day of the G1 tournament a few months later, happy he's doing well! 

Ishii Vs Goto (Power Struggle, 2014)

Tanahashi Vs Suzuki (King of Pro Wrestling, 2012)

Just some off the top of my head, have fun. :) 

Edited by Venocide
  • Like 1

It really does boil down to NJPW is more about the wresting where WWE is more about the characters and the story telling. Not to say NJPW can't tell a great story or WWE can't put on a great match but that's definitely the base line of it.

I prefer WWE myself. Characters and plot and mic work is what made me love wresting in the first place so that's pretty heavily ingrained in my head lol. Later in life I definitely fell in love with the "art of the match" but I still prefer to have both. I'll definitely throw on NJPW if I hear about a phenomenal match or something but that's about the extent of it.

I actually wish WWE would stop bringing guys over from there. Watching guys who can't work a mic get title shots hurts my head >.<