Is the Dual Shock 4 fully compatible with PS3?

RainyDusk

I wonder if they have already released a firmware for the PS3 which enables full Dual Shock 4 compatibility. Reason is: my Dual Shock 3 is getting quite old and it presses random buttons when I tilt it. Should I buy a new Dual Shock 3 (new and original is quite rare and expensive), or is the Dual Shock 4 fully compatible with PS3?

Well, that already means it isn't fully compatible. If you can't bring up the xmb, you can't even exit the game, right? That's a big flaw. :( 

I suppose it doesn't fully work with Sixaxis motion based games (like Heavy Rain) or it doesn't work at all with a few games. 

• Like 1

Another thing to note is not all games are compatible.  There's a list somewhere on the internet if you Google it.  I know because I wanted to get the 4 player trophy for Disney Universe with two Dualshock 4 controllers and the game wouldn't recognise them at all.

Unfortunatly. Only way ive found was to use the system pwr buttion

* had to do this when sysyem froze a few times *

System counted it as a improper shut off and requested system restore each time.

If you have a move controller you could use that go access the xmb to quit games. As the ps buttion does work on that for interface.

Just now, ccase137 said:

Another thing to note is not all games are compatible.  There's a list somewhere on the internet if you Google it.  I know because I wanted to get the 4 player trophy for Disney Universe with two Dualshock 4 controllers and the game wouldn't recognise them at all.

Ill have to check that out

Ive had 0 games give me any issue with my ds4 controler. Aside from ones that require syaxis interface.  -

Thou useing it for kill zone 3 coop trophys showed me just how un-aligned the left analog is.  Couldn't sprint an moved at a shuffel xD

Ps3 controler from 2009 works a charm near mint aide from handle seals spreading at screw points.

Ps4 controler: ps 20 yr ani. Edition 2 yrs old xD failing

* orginal 4yr old controler usb charger port broke on 1 drop. ; .; side from that still mint.

Just now, RainyDusk said:

It looks like I need to buy a new DS3 controller. Not having access to XMB and the full PS3 library is too limiting, my PS3 has still a long way to go. :D

Luckly used ps3 controlers are abundant. 20$ easily. 

xD get a cheep one from pwn shop. And have it *just* for xmb access. Lol

12 minutes ago, killer91ITA said:

When i play with my ds4 on ps3 i connect my navigation controller for quit. It's pretty boring but you can't do anything. Crappy sony, and if i remember well on ps vita TV you can exit a game..what a fail. 

I have a PS Move, so I'll do the same. Hopefully I won't get any incompatible PS3 games in the future.

I tried the DS4 with the PS TV before, and yes, the PS button brings you to the Home Menu. Bummer they couldn't implement the same function with the PS3.

Also, there are brand new DS3 controllers out there, but I'm afraid I could get a fake one, since now they're more popular than ever. So, screw that.

Edited by RainyDusk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gazdavis11 said:

Out of interest if the PS button doesn’t work how could you quit out of a game?

Just connect your old Dualshock 3 for that. Or a PS Move controller (motion or navigation, both have PS Button).

Otherwise, the only way would be completely shutting off the PS3 with the power button (not recommended to do this a lot).

For me, DS4 has worked in all sports games except NBA 2K (I only tried sports games because if a friend comes over my house he prefers DS4 and, normally we just play NBA or Madden).

It also works with GTA V.

By the way, I see no reason why they haven't implemented the PS Button functionality for DS4 on PS3, because it is not harder to do than making the triangle work :/

They even made sure that SHARE button works as the SELECT button, so I beliebe Sony did skip PS Button on purpose for whatever reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RainyDusk said:

It looks like I need to buy a new DS3 controller. Not having access to XMB and the full PS3 library is too limiting, my PS3 has still a long way to go. :D

If you look in a physical store, you might find a new one in a bargain bin. Granted, it's been two months now, but I got a DS3 at my local Best Buy for $15. If you have a K-Mart nearby (assuming you're in the US), this is the absolute best place to find cheap crap that no one else has.

Edited by starcrunch061

40 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

If you look in a physical store, you might find a new one in a bargain bin. Granted, it's been two months now, but I got a DS3 at my local Best Buy for $15. If you have a K-Mart nearby (assuming you're in the US), this is the absolute best place to find cheap crap that no one else has.

Apparently he seems to be from Italy ?

• Like 1

i use my ps4 as much as I can on ps4.

my experience is, no sixaxis which can break your game in beyond two souls for example, no function on touchpad and no homebutton.

but there are also games that wont allow to use it like fifa13 (idk about other fifas, I only played 13) and older tekken games. you cant use the ps4 controller in the game manue. in fifa I could use it for playing vs against my friend but not for the rest of the game. and a ps3 controller had to set the gamesettings first.

But I use a cronosmax usb stick. without any settings on the stick it allows you to play a ps4 controller like a ps3 controller. even the homebutton will do its job without setting aything. just put it between console and controller.

and with scripts you can use it as turbcontroller too.

28 minutes ago, Sigma999 said:

Apparently he seems to be from Italy 1f644.png

Yeah, I'm from Italy. No Best Buys here.

Anyway, I think I've just fixed the issue on my old PS3 Controller, for now at least. I hitted it a few times on both sides, and now no random buttons pressed anymore when I tilt it to the left or right. Looks like the good ol' method doesn't work only with the old technology. :D

• Like 2

You need to have it plugged in to work? That’s the only way I get it to work anyway! I have two PS3 controllers - buttons broke on both. I bought a new one from amazon but the analogs are so stiff I can’t use it. PS4 controller has worked with every game so far, but as I said, it needs to be plugged in as far as I know...