Is the Dual Shock 4 fully compatible with PS3?

RainyDusk

4 hours ago, Hogie838 said:

It did for me on The Godfather 2. Maybe it depends on the game...

You know what maybe. I tried it with mirror's edge and it didn't work. Does it have to do anything with the models? My controller is the latest model( the one that has the light bar line visible at the top of the touchpad)

2 hours ago, PooPooBlast said:

You know what maybe. I tried it with mirror's edge and it didn't work. Does it have to do anything with the models? My controller is the latest model( the one that has the light bar line visible at the top of the touchpad)

Maybe, my controller doesn’t have that. I’d think a newer model would be better able to do it but you just don’t know with Sony ?

Well since the DS4 doesnt seem to be ideal, maybe you could try at gamestop (if they are in your country). I usually always see used ps3 controllers there.

Also you should still be able to find a lot of cheap 3rd-party ps3 controlers online who should be fully compatible.

Edited by thekiffer21

• 8 months later...
14 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Plenty of games aren't supported, actually. Again, the list is out there.

Yeah not sure what people are talking about in this thread.  The Dualshock 4 uses digital buttons while the Dualshock 3 used analog buttons so any games that rely on pressure sensitive controls are not compatible with it.  It is far from fully compatible.

On 8/1/2018 at 0:19 PM, RainyDusk said:

Yeah, I'm from Italy. No Best Buys here.

Anyway, I think I've just fixed the issue on my old PS3 Controller, for now at least. I hitted it a few times on both sides, and now no random buttons pressed anymore when I tilt it to the left or right. Looks like the good ol' method doesn't work only with the old technology. :D

There is an actual fix for the random button presses that only requires a screwdriver and electric tape.

There is a little piece of foam that pressures a ribbon cable against some contacts. Over time it gets compressed causing it to not reach the contacts correctly, so when you push a button the slight force twists the controller a little bit making the contacts stop touching for a split second causing it to think you are pressing something.

Adding a little roll of electric tape to make that foam thicker fixes the issue completely. Since I did that like a year ago my controller had no more issues.

You can find guides with pictures off all I said. It only takes about 10 minutes to do.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2018 at 4:02 AM, gazdavis11 said:

Out of interest if the PS button doesn’t work how could you quit out of a game?

I'll take the PS Move controller off the charger & use it for the PS button.  The lack of Sixaxis support while using Dual Shock 4 on PS3 is a real downer.  There are Sixaxis sensors in a DS4, so I don't get why Sony fails to make this work.

• 5 months later...

FYI if you buy CronusMax you can use this with the included usb bluetooth dongle that plugs directly into it to get ps button functionality and rumble. If you need to charge or preferred wired you can use a micro usb cable into the adapter instead. Connect the bluetooth adapter to cronusmax, connect that to your ps3, turn on system. Press & hold ps button+share button until controller syncs to ps3. You won't have to sync ever again as long as you don't re-sync on your ps4 or anything else between uses.

I used the software that came with this to test used/broken controllers I refurbished, but it's also handy to use on my ps3 as well.

Always give me a laugh when i see the mention of the "ds3" or "ds4" i kinda think Nintendo DS for a second before remembering Playstation is the only company to ever actually name its "base controller". I mean Nintendo named the wireless controller "wavebird" at the time cause it was a novelty and Xbox does named its smaller controller the "s controller" for Small but it was because it has a major difference from the original model. 

While the playstation 2 and 3 controller is basically the same thing and only ever got one model (that i can recall). I know the original PS1 controller had no joysticks and the name dualshock came from the second model wich had joysticks and (i supose) a rumble feature thus the name "dual shock" but honestly after the PS2 release its kinda funny they kept the name and used it til the PS4 wich was the first time they actually change the controller layout/model. Im not counting the "sixasis" motion control crap or whatever its call lol. 

ANYWAY maybe im making too much a fuss about it. Its just i call them the "ps3 controller" and the "ps4 controller" personally. 

Now unto the subject i think having the PS4 controller work on PS3 is more like a conveniance, allowing you to play games in case your main controller broke or allowing a second player to play while the first player play with the regular ps3 controller. 

I think its still a nice feature even if limited. I wish my X1 controller would work on 360 cause the D-Pad is so much better on X1. The D-pad on the 360 controller is its only flaw pretty much. Well i guess you could say the battery pack aspect too as sometimes if you give a tiny shock to the controller it can unclip the battery, but im talking button layout.

it's an old post but i'll leave this here if there are people who were still wondering out there... controller do works on ps3, though light bar do not works but only flash yellow when it's recharging on the ps3, touch pad / speaker / headphones jack / rumble / motion sensitive were all do not works on ps3.

some games do not works with the DS4 on the ps3 like, Beyond:Two Souls, and especially Gran Turismo 5 and 6 which tell you that there is no controller been detected, ironically LBP 1, 2, 3 and Karting all can be played with a DS4 despite that all of them have motion sensitive game play. 

you can use the DS4 wirelessly on a ps3 by holding the Share + Home Button until the light bar start to flash white then on the ps3 use the " search for a bluetooth devices " once you do save it as a wireless controller, though, you can only use the DS4 wirelessly on the ps3 just to browse the XMB....... ps3's home menu. because games and other applications cannot run with a wireless DS4.

• 1 month later...

Since the Dual Shock 4 isn't fully compatible with PS3, which one as now can be bought that are good replacements for the DS3?

• 2 months later...

I was wondering, can I use the Rock Band keyboard as my xmb connection instead of the move controller (don't have one)? It is the only other thing I have for the PS3 besides the controllers (which are dead). For now, I can use my PS4 controller since I am playing Infamous and Infamous 2...but will need an actual PS3 or off brand when I play LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones 2, and Lord of the Rings. :P