Lent Challenge - 2018 Edition [Ended! Results are out!]

Lent Challenge - 2018 Edition

lent.png

"Let today be the day you give up who you've been for who you can become"

Welcome to the first ever "Lent Challenge"!

What is Lent by definition?

Lent is a solemn religious period of 40 days that starts in Ash Wednesday and ends up near Easter, in the Christian liturgical calendar. Believers prepare themselves for Easter time.

It also represent the 40 days journey that Jesus went trough the desert, where he was tempted by Satan from time to time. During this period, some believers sacrifice certain luxuries from their lives, so they can give more importance to unmaterial things, trying to "replicate" what Jesus went through, but in modern days.

That is Lent explained very shortly.

So, what is Lent Challenge?

Lent Challenge is a challenge that will occur during Lent, starting the "Ash Wednesday" and ending the Thursday before Easter, in this case, from the 14th February to 29th March. The idea is to choose a list of games and to try to platinum or complete up to 100% any game, during this period, and through that, win points. Completing desert/wasteland-themed and theology-themed games give you more points than other games. Games that take 5 hours or less according to the PSNP guides are not allowed. That means that games like "My Name is Mayo","Coffin Dodgers", for example, are out of question. 

Point System (Inspired from other events, mainly the New Year's Contest)

The score will be calculated this way: (100-Platinum Rarity) * Playtime Multiplier + Trophy Points

Platinum Rarity will be based on the PSNP rarity on 30th March. As for games with no platinum, the completion rate on PSNP will be taken into account.

Playtime Multiplier

6-9 hours is x1

10-19 hours is x1.1

20-30 hours is x1.2

And so on...

The completion time will be based on the PSNP Guides. If by any chance, the PSNP guide for the game doesn't exist, another guide will be taken into account.

Trophy Points

After getting the platinum, every trophy you unlock during the challenge will also award you some extra points. That means you can finish a game that you already started, even though only the trophies won during the challenge will be taken into account.

:bronze: = 1 point

:silver: = 2 points

:gold: = 3 points

:platinum: = 5 points

DLCs also count if you get the platinum during the challenge. That way, you can always get more trophy points than by just completing the base game.

Double Points

As already stated, games that are desert/wasteland-themed or theology-themed are worth double the points. Here are some examples of games:

• Assassin's Creed series
  • Far Cry 2
  • God of War series
  • Journey
  • Mad Max

So, before starting the challenge, you may want to say which double point games you are considering playing and justify why they are desert/wasteland-themed or theology-based.

Rules/Guidelines of the event

• No cheating, obviously.
  • Auto-popping trophies trough cross saves won't count for points.
  • Any game that takes 5 hours or less to complete won't count for points.
  • Any desert/wasteland-themed or theology based games will count for double.
  • Talk about your progress and the games you are playing, so we can all talk with each other during the event.
  • Even though this event is inspired on Lent, anyone of any religion can participate, obviously. The religious-themed games do not necessarily need to be Christian related.

Participants

Spoiler

1.Caju_94

2.Ehilmar

3.kingofbattle8174

4.ShogunCroCop

5.Aprilis

6.InkOwl

7.CJ_Mystery

8.scarishbal

9.Uchica_Snake__

Suggestions

At the end of the event or even before the event starts, you can always suggest what can make this event better.

Date:

14th February 2018 00:00 AM UTC+0 (Greenwhich Time) ~ 30th March 2018 00:00 AM UTC+0 (Greenwhich Time)

The Top 3 might have a title or something as a symbolic reward. :)

Any questions just ask.

Good luck and thanks for joining!

Caju_94

Edited by Caju_94
  • Like 4

Reserved Post.

Update [16-01-2018]:

So I changed the rules and added a point system so I could turn this challenge more competitive and might as well gather some people. Inspired myself by other events, as some may notice, but still, tried to add some different details.

Thanks for checking it out! :)

9 minutes ago, Ehilmar said:

Hi would like to join :) Do I need to make a list of games I plan to play? or do I just get points for the games I play in that time period?

It is not mandatory to list the games you want to play. You can list them if you want. Don't forget to say which ones are worth the double points. There can be some games that I do not recognize they are theology or desert based immediatly. ;)

I would like to join. I’m planning on working my way through the rest of the God of War series (III, CoO, GoS, Ascension) before the new one comes out anyway :) I have a lot of Assassin’s Creed queued up too, so I might try for a few of those if I have time.

Would Odin Sphere Leifthrasir count for the theology theme? It has a Norse Mythology/Fairy Tale theme (at least from what I’ve read, I’ve never played it before).

28 minutes ago, InkOwl said:

Would Odin Sphere Leifthrasir count for the theology theme? It has a Norse Mythology/Fairy Tale theme (at least from what I’ve read, I’ve never played it before).

All you guys have been added!

@InkOwl, yes it counts. Odin Sphere is a really awesome game, I played the original game on the PS2 and I loved it. Have fun completing it! :D

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 3:03 PM, Caju_94 said:

Playtime Multiplier

6-10 hours is x1

10-20 hours is x1.1

20-30 hours is x1.2

And so on...

@Caju_94 All's looking well,but you might want to edit the playtime multiplier to 

6-9 hours is x1

10-19 hours is x1.1

20-29 hours is x1.2 etc

As you can't have 10/20 hour games being in two different multiplier categories.Just a heads up?Looking forward to starting ! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ApriIis said:

@Caju_94 All's looking well,but you might want to edit the playtime multiplier to 

6-9 hours is x1

10-19 hours is x1.1

20-29 hours is x1.2 etc

As you can't have 10/20 hour games being in two different multiplier categories.Just a heads up1f44d.pngLooking forward to starting ! 

Oh, I didn't notice that, thanks for the warning. Going to correct. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

What percentage is allowed on games?  5% 10% 50%?

I'm afraid I'm not understanding your question.

Are you talking about completion? Either Platinum or 100% for games with no Platinum or games with Platinum that include DLCs, if you get the Platinum during the event.

To @Caju_94: Forgive me for being a Grammar Nazi, but being a lip-service Catholic(I got to Mass), the period is just called "Lent", there is no "The Lent." Having observed Lent since a child, I can attest to that. ?

I think I will participate in this challenge just to make myself work on more games since I am almost finished with Toogie13's "The Love Boat" challenge. While I don't think I have any games with barren wastelands or religious themes, I will add a personal challenge: Since modern Catholics like myself cannot eat red meat during Lenten Friday, the dinner of choice is usually some form of fish dish. So I am going to platinum Oceanhorn during this challenge and earn the Fish Sticks trophy on the first Friday of Lent. ;)?

13 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

To @Caju_94: Forgive me for being a Grammar Nazi, but being a lip-service Catholic(I got to Mass), the period is just called "Lent", there is no "The Lent." Having observed Lent since a child, I can attest to that. 1f607.png

I think I will participate in this challenge just to make myself work on more games since I am almost finished with Toogie13's "The Love Boat" challenge. While I don't think I have any games with barren wastelands or religious themes, I will add a personal challenge: Since modern Catholics like myself cannot eat red meat during Lenten Friday, the dinner of choice is usually some form of fish dish. So I am going to platinum Oceanhorn during this challenge and earn the Fish Sticks trophy on the first Friday of Lent. ;)1f41f.png

CJ, glad you explained that. Before I created the event, I didn't how to say "Lent" in english, only in my native language, which is Portuguese, where we say "A Quaresma", in which "A" means "The" when translated. I also go to Mass. ;) Thanks for the english correction, though!

@CJ_Mystery and @scarishbal, you've been added! Good luck!

On 8-1-2018 at 4:03 PM, Caju_94 said:

Point System

The score will be calculated this way: (100-Platinum Rarity) * Playtime Multiplier + Trophy Points

Platinum Rarity will be based on the PSNP rarity on 30th March. As for games with no platinum, the completion rate on PSNP will be taken into account.

Playtime Multiplier

6-9 hours is x1

10-19 hours is x1.1

20-30 hours is x1.2

And so on...

The completion time will be based on the PSNP Guides. If by any chance, the PSNP guide for the game doesn't exist, another guide will be taken into account.

Trophy Points

After getting the platinum, every trophy you unlock during the challenge will also award you some extra points. That means you can finish a game that you already started, even though only the trophies won during the challenge will be taken into account.

:bronze: = 1 point

:silver: = 2 points

:gold: = 3 points

:platinum: = 5 points

DLCs also count if you get the platinum during the challenge. That way, you can always get more trophy points than by just completing the base game.

Double Points

At the very least give credit when borrowing things.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

At the very least give credit when borrowing things.

You are right indeed... ? It's true that I inspired myself in the New Year's Contest mainly, but tried to not make an exact copy of it. The way you were calculating points seemed really fair to me and so I made some very light changes. I thought at first I had something saying about that in the suggestion section, that I inspired myself in other existing events. This thread has been edited lots of time (even lost my first draft, if my memory serves right). Going to edit the challenge description.

Thanks for the warning! ? Sorry if that made you upset or something...

(PS: Want to participate? ?)

Edited by Caju_94
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

What if Idk what games I'll be playing? I mean I have a bunch of games on my backlog, can I joing and list the games as I'll be playing/completing them? if theyare allowed of course

You don't need to list them right now if you want. You can say during the challenge "I platinumed this, I finished that, I plan to finish this". Any game is allowed expect for the ones that take 5 hours or less to platinum/100% like stated in the rules. Aside from that restriction, any game is allowed.

Thank you. 

Also, I have a question - can we announce what games we want have the double points count towards at any time during the event? So far I just have 2 in mind - El Shaddai (based off a story in the Bible) and Dragon Age Inquisition (the whole Chantry and Hand of Andraste thing).