Really cool story, fun game, awful platinum

MAUSZX

Yakuza 0 looks pretty fun. Kind of like Sleeping Dogs in a way but a lot more customization, more activities to do and a longer story line.

I'm curious about the older Yakuza games but I can't speak or read a single word of Japanese. And from what I can tell those older titles are mostly in Japanese, I don't know if there are English subtitles and text when you actually play them.

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Yakuza 0 looks pretty fun. Kind of like Sleeping Dogs in a way but a lot more customization, more activities to do and a longer story line.

I'm curious about the older Yakuza games but I can't speak or read a single word of Japanese. And from what I can tell those older titles are mostly in Japanese, I don't know if there are English subtitles and text when you actually play them.

1 for PS2 had an English dub. Everything beyond that was Japanese voice overs (and thank god) with English subs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

Substories or sidemissions are funny and dumb, which is fun, but after all the unskipable conversation that you just mash circle like crazy, even at that the game stops you.

Have you tried holding down R1+circle (might not be circle on the non-Japanese version). That usually lets you skip through text in Yakuza games.

Regarding the platinum, I dunno. I found it to be pretty average for a Yakuza game. The requirements for 100% used to be a lot more brutal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9.1.2018 at 6:39 AM, Redgrave said:

I think the biggest hurdle is that you have to play the Japanese games like Mahjong and the other games like that while trying to understand the terminology and the rules.

This.

Besides of the 100% stuff, the game is really fun. Except for the two 'Amon'-Bosses, the are anoying.

I enjoyed the story, it was a good one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got my Platinum in Yakuza Kiwami - would you say Yakuza 0 pretty much more of the same in terms of completion point trophies etc? I actually really enjoyed all of the gambling and minigames in that game - actually taught me how to play Mahjong and Oichi Kabu etc.

Worst part of Kiwami was that goddamn car chase sequence on legendary difficulty, after that, i'll gladly play 8 hours of Mahjong.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

Yakuza 0 is indeed a great game, I would rate it 9.5/10

It was my first yakuza and I loved it from start to finish.

Imo the most annoying parts are: mahjong, cat fights, 4-5 climax challenges ( RNG shit), dance battle against disco king/queen (submission).

@Crispy_Oglop       Yeah 100% is pretty much the same + a few activities like fishing or dancing.

Edited by GoDBoss173

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got 100% completion before the final battle on my first playthrough.

The biggest problem for me is that I had to learn to play Mahjong and it took me 2 days to finish all the mahjong tasks. The rest are quick and easy with guide.

I actually think that Yakuza 0 is quite balanced. The completion list in 0 is nothing compare to older titles where you have to complete every variations of minigames at every difficulty.

That said, I don't mind if they make new games with easier requirements because I already played the same mini games millions of time before.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

My first post and my first Yakuza game. 

I agree with the OP that the story and content available is incredible and a great experience, but going for the platinum is driving me nuts. In terms of layout its quite possibly the best I've ever seen in a game. Every new chapters reveals something new to do where as most other games give you everything in the first chapter and then its rinse and repeat until the credits. 

But the requirements to get the platinum on Yakuza Zero can be gut wrenching and frustrating to say the least. The mini games contain a very strict RNG which is often used for fruit machines and electronic gambling machines. Whilst the games were fun, the requirements were not. 

And as for the climax battles. I knew I was going to hate them the moment I saw the main menu haha. This sort of thing never works in the games favour as most times it very stupidly shows how bad the mechanics can be for a game, as well as just being downright tedious. Its not destroyed the fun as getting 100% on Arkham City did, but its certainly a step behind it. 

I really don't want to give up as I created a whole new account for SP only games to 100%, but its definitely starting to take its toll. 

35 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Hi everyone,

My first post and my first Yakuza game. 

I agree with the OP that the story and content available is incredible and a great experience, but going for the platinum is driving me nuts. In terms of layout its quite possibly the best I've ever seen in a game. Every new chapters reveals something new to do where as most other games give you everything in the first chapter and then its rinse and repeat until the credits. 

But the requirements to get the platinum on Yakuza Zero can be gut wrenching and frustrating to say the least. The mini games contain a very strict RNG which is often used for fruit machines and electronic gambling machines. Whilst the games were fun, the requirements were not. 

And as for the climax battles. I knew I was going to hate them the moment I saw the main menu haha. This sort of thing never works in the games favour as most times it very stupidly shows how bad the mechanics can be for a game, as well as just being downright tedious. Its not destroyed the fun as getting 100% on Arkham City did, but its certainly a step behind it. 

I really don't want to give up as I created a whole new account for SP only games to 100%, but its definitely starting to take its toll. 

Yeah, I stopped caring about it, I had so much fun doing what I wanted to do and doing completing the story.

That is going to be the way I play Yakuza games, since trying to do all the challenges for the platinum is not fun and it ruins the great experience this game is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAUSZX said:

Yeah, I stopped caring about it, I had so much fun doing what I wanted to do and doing completing the story.

That is going to be the way I play Yakuza games, since trying to do all the challenges for the platinum is not fun and it ruins the great experience this game is.

Yeah I can see what you mean. Though just a moment ago I got the Just Beat It trophy :D Only Legend left to unlock now :D

There are one or two trophy requirements and a good few of the completion requirements which would have been so much better had they cut the requirements in half. Now whilst I agree that trophies should be earned, there's also a point where they can actually kill the game. A remake/remaster is all about getting sales in from previous gamers and new gamers too. I think they could have sold so many more copies to completionists alone if they had eased up on the grind and tedium a touch. 

And its a huge game too. So not having legend available from the start was a silly choice. Its already took me around 3 months to get this far, and no doubt I have another 60+ hours for legend too. 

And this might sound horrible, but the Japanese can be pretty sadistic when it comes to whats fun. They make some amazing things but when it comes to games both electronic or board, they sure do like to destroy the gamers need for fun and replace it with a game of patience and frustration. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

• 7 months later...

I know it's probably not the case, but I feel like anyone complaining about the difficulty of this platinum probably never played early trophied PS3 games. Zero's platinum isn't easy but that difficulty used to be the norm - or even "easy" - in PS3 games.

That said, I agree with other comments; the Japanese games like mahjong and shogi are difficult for most of us westerners and having to replay again after (possibly) 100%ing is excessive. Just glad it's all offline. I plan to platinum but after I 100% I may put it down and come back to it on legendary a year or few from then.

13 hours ago, Buthol3K said:

I know it's probably not the case, but I feel like anyone complaining about the difficulty of this platinum probably never played early trophied PS3 games. Zero's platinum isn't easy but that difficulty used to be the norm - or even "easy" - in PS3 games.

That said, I agree with other comments; the Japanese games like mahjong and shogi are difficult for most of us westerners and having to replay again after (possibly) 100%ing is excessive. Just glad it's all offline. I plan to platinum but after I 100% I may put it down and come back to it on legendary a year or few from then.

I don't think hard is the right thing to describe this platinum. I would say grindy, very very grindy. There are a lot of luck base challenges too, so you can get them in the first try or in your last try. I recommend people to play the main game and if you really like some minigames, by all means, but the moment you start getting bored GET OUT. The story is fantastic and it deserves more credit and people should focus on that.

50 minutes ago, MAUSZX said:

I don't think hard is the right thing to describe this platinum. I would say grindy, very very grindy. There are a lot of luck base challenges too, so you can get them in the first try or in your last try. I recommend people to play the main game and if you really like some minigames, by all means, but the moment you start getting bored GET OUT. The story is fantastic and it deserves more credit and people should focus on that.

True although I'd argue that there were some challenging aspects like the climax battles, some battles on legendary difficulty, and the infamous mahjong. And also there was an arcade game that required you to get 5m points. That was dang tough! 

Oh, the platinum is definitely hard to get, though it skews more toward the "grind your ass off" part of the spectrum.  In addition, the types of gaming skill needed for minigames & such is definitely on the eclectic side of things.

KIWAMI is probably the hardest one on PS4 since it apparently has an even lower rarity % on the site and Yakuza 0 is already pretty low.