MAUSZX

Really cool story, fun game, awful platinum

27 posts in this topic

You want a good game with good story? Go for it.

You want a fun platinum? Don't even.

The get 100% the game is awful, boring, long, you have to complete and even more every single minigame is fun...just to play once, after that it just gets annoying.

Substories or sidemissions are funny and dumb, which is fun, but after all the unskipable conversation that you just mash circle like crazy, even at that the game stops you.

Loved the story of this game and the game itself i wanted to do the platinum. I'm at 70% there are at least 30% of the entire things that you need to do, full of rng. Enjoy the game avoid 100%

Edited by MAUSZX
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is every game in the series. It's my favourite long running series ever but I only managed to platinum Kiwami because the total time to do so was still about 10-20 hours less than I spent in 5 & 0 just doing the things I would normally do (all side missions, all story, about 80-90% complete). I could actually clean all of the games up in 15-30 hours each & it's not even that I couldn't enjoy it but a large part of me doesn't want to do it on principle, because I really resent when games act like the player doesn't have any other games to play.

 

I might have a loss in sanity and end up cleaning some of the games up but for the most part I agree completely with your 'enjoy the game bugger the 100%' stance.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest hurdle is that you have to play the Japanese games like Mahjong and the other games like that while trying to understand the terminology and the rules. It's kind of like learning a completely new game, at least for someone like me that isn't very good at those sorts of things. That said yes, Yakuza 0 is a very good game and even if I don't get the Platinum for it I can at least say I had fun with all it's weird and cool moments.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yakuza 0 looks pretty fun. Kind of like Sleeping Dogs in a way but a lot more customization, more activities to do and a longer story line.

 

I'm curious about the older Yakuza games but I can't speak or read a single word of Japanese. And from what I can tell those older titles are mostly in Japanese, I don't know if there are English subtitles and text when you actually play them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Yakuza 0 looks pretty fun. Kind of like Sleeping Dogs in a way but a lot more customization, more activities to do and a longer story line.

 

I'm curious about the older Yakuza games but I can't speak or read a single word of Japanese. And from what I can tell those older titles are mostly in Japanese, I don't know if there are English subtitles and text when you actually play them.

 

1 for PS2 had an English dub. Everything beyond that was Japanese voice overs (and thank god) with English subs.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

Substories or sidemissions are funny and dumb, which is fun, but after all the unskipable conversation that you just mash circle like crazy, even at that the game stops you.

 

Have you tried holding down R1+circle (might not be circle on the non-Japanese version). That usually lets you skip through text in Yakuza games.

 

Regarding the platinum, I dunno. I found it to be pretty average for a Yakuza game. The requirements for 100% used to be a lot more brutal.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I got platinum for 3, 4, 5, so I think 0 is doable 

Planning to finish Dead Souls by March then moving to 6 to wrap up Kiryu's story, then reboot the series with 0 > Kiwami 1 > Kiwami 2 (english ver when?).

Hopefully I won't get bored of trophies by then 😂

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird, I'm feeling the same but for the exact opposite reason. I will complete every mini game, buy all the properties, see everything that is on offer. That is the entire point of a game like this.

 

But going through the entire story a second time on a harder difficulty? No way.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9.1.2018 at 6:39 AM, Redgrave said:

 

I think the biggest hurdle is that you have to play the Japanese games like Mahjong and the other games like that while trying to understand the terminology and the rules.

 

 

This.

Besides of the 100% stuff, the game is really fun. Except for the two 'Amon'-Bosses, the are anoying.

I enjoyed the story, it was a good one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2018 at 10:29 PM, iamjax said:

 

1 for PS2 had an English dub. Everything beyond that was Japanese voice overs (and thank god) with English subs.

 

Yo, the dub was actually good.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this saga and agree with previous users about minigames and exhausting completion being a main aspect within these games. A pity yakuza 6 is going to be way, way easier.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got my Platinum in Yakuza Kiwami - would you say Yakuza 0 pretty much more of the same in terms of completion point trophies etc? I actually really enjoyed all of the gambling and minigames in that game - actually taught me how to play Mahjong and Oichi Kabu etc.

 

Worst part of Kiwami was that goddamn car chase sequence on legendary difficulty, after that, i'll gladly play 8 hours of Mahjong.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yakuza 0 is indeed a great game, I would rate it 9.5/10

It was my first yakuza and I loved it from start to finish.

 

 

Imo the most annoying parts are: mahjong, cat fights, 4-5 climax challenges ( RNG shit), dance battle against disco king/queen (submission).

 

@Crispy_Oglop       Yeah 100% is pretty much the same + a few activities like fishing or dancing.

 

Edited by GoDBoss173
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only just finished it and absolutely loved the story and game in general, I'm not after the platinum.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got 100% completion before the final battle on my first playthrough.

The biggest problem for me is that I had to learn to play Mahjong and it took me 2 days to finish all the mahjong tasks. The rest are quick and easy with guide.

 

I actually think that Yakuza 0 is quite balanced. The completion list in 0 is nothing compare to older titles where you have to complete every variations of minigames at every difficulty.

That said, I don't mind if they make new games with easier requirements because I already played the same mini games millions of time before.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love this trophy list if it didn't require playing the story twice. By the time I 100% I want to be able to move on, not have to play another play through on a harder difficulty not available to me right at the beginning. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

 

My first post and my first Yakuza game. 

 

I agree with the OP that the story and content available is incredible and a great experience, but going for the platinum is driving me nuts. In terms of layout its quite possibly the best I've ever seen in a game. Every new chapters reveals something new to do where as most other games give you everything in the first chapter and then its rinse and repeat until the credits. 

 

But the requirements to get the platinum on Yakuza Zero can be gut wrenching and frustrating to say the least. The mini games contain a very strict RNG which is often used for fruit machines and electronic gambling machines. Whilst the games were fun, the requirements were not. 

 

And as for the climax battles. I knew I was going to hate them the moment I saw the main menu haha. This sort of thing never works in the games favour as most times it very stupidly shows how bad the mechanics can be for a game, as well as just being downright tedious. Its not destroyed the fun as getting 100% on Arkham City did, but its certainly a step behind it. 

 

I really don't want to give up as I created a whole new account for SP only games to 100%, but its definitely starting to take its toll. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Hi everyone,

 

My first post and my first Yakuza game. 

 

I agree with the OP that the story and content available is incredible and a great experience, but going for the platinum is driving me nuts. In terms of layout its quite possibly the best I've ever seen in a game. Every new chapters reveals something new to do where as most other games give you everything in the first chapter and then its rinse and repeat until the credits. 

 

But the requirements to get the platinum on Yakuza Zero can be gut wrenching and frustrating to say the least. The mini games contain a very strict RNG which is often used for fruit machines and electronic gambling machines. Whilst the games were fun, the requirements were not. 

 

And as for the climax battles. I knew I was going to hate them the moment I saw the main menu haha. This sort of thing never works in the games favour as most times it very stupidly shows how bad the mechanics can be for a game, as well as just being downright tedious. Its not destroyed the fun as getting 100% on Arkham City did, but its certainly a step behind it. 

 

I really don't want to give up as I created a whole new account for SP only games to 100%, but its definitely starting to take its toll. 

Yeah, I stopped caring about it, I had so much fun doing what I wanted to do and doing completing the story.

That is going to be the way I play Yakuza games, since trying to do all the challenges for the platinum is not fun and it ruins the great experience this game is.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAUSZX said:

Yeah, I stopped caring about it, I had so much fun doing what I wanted to do and doing completing the story.

That is going to be the way I play Yakuza games, since trying to do all the challenges for the platinum is not fun and it ruins the great experience this game is.

 

Yeah I can see what you mean. Though just a moment ago I got the Just Beat It trophy :D Only Legend left to unlock now :D

 

There are one or two trophy requirements and a good few of the completion requirements which would have been so much better had they cut the requirements in half. Now whilst I agree that trophies should be earned, there's also a point where they can actually kill the game. A remake/remaster is all about getting sales in from previous gamers and new gamers too. I think they could have sold so many more copies to completionists alone if they had eased up on the grind and tedium a touch. 

 

And its a huge game too. So not having legend available from the start was a silly choice. Its already took me around 3 months to get this far, and no doubt I have another 60+ hours for legend too. 

 

And this might sound horrible, but the Japanese can be pretty sadistic when it comes to whats fun. They make some amazing things but when it comes to games both electronic or board, they sure do like to destroy the gamers need for fun and replace it with a game of patience and frustration. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's probably not the case, but I feel like anyone complaining about the difficulty of this platinum probably never played early trophied PS3 games. Zero's platinum isn't easy but that difficulty used to be the norm - or even "easy" - in PS3 games.

 

That said, I agree with other comments; the Japanese games like mahjong and shogi are difficult for most of us westerners and having to replay again after (possibly) 100%ing is excessive. Just glad it's all offline. I plan to platinum but after I 100% I may put it down and come back to it on legendary a year or few from then.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Buthol3K said:

I know it's probably not the case, but I feel like anyone complaining about the difficulty of this platinum probably never played early trophied PS3 games. Zero's platinum isn't easy but that difficulty used to be the norm - or even "easy" - in PS3 games.

 

That said, I agree with other comments; the Japanese games like mahjong and shogi are difficult for most of us westerners and having to replay again after (possibly) 100%ing is excessive. Just glad it's all offline. I plan to platinum but after I 100% I may put it down and come back to it on legendary a year or few from then.

I don't think hard is the right thing to describe this platinum. I would say grindy, very very grindy. There are a lot of luck base challenges too, so you can get them in the first try or in your last try. I recommend people to play the main game and if you really like some minigames, by all means, but the moment you start getting bored GET OUT. The story is fantastic and it deserves more credit and people should focus on that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MAUSZX said:

I don't think hard is the right thing to describe this platinum. I would say grindy, very very grindy. There are a lot of luck base challenges too, so you can get them in the first try or in your last try. I recommend people to play the main game and if you really like some minigames, by all means, but the moment you start getting bored GET OUT. The story is fantastic and it deserves more credit and people should focus on that.

True although I'd argue that there were some challenging aspects like the climax battles, some battles on legendary difficulty, and the infamous mahjong. And also there was an arcade game that required you to get 5m points. That was dang tough! 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to be a stick in the mud and say the Platinum is hard, or at the very least much more difficult than people give it credit for. This is coming from someone who is playing through the game right now, but has the Platinums for 4 and Dead Souls (and I need just a normal difficulty run through for 5); I believe that give me enough of a pedigree to know what I'm talking about.

 

Most games only ask you to master one system to get the Platinum; if we take recent Days Gone as an example, it's all reliant on the core gameplay of driving, shooting, evading enemies. It all hapens in the same gameplay loop. Yakuza, on the other hand, tosses curveball after curveball after curveball (literally when it comes to the batting centre) with its comprehensive completion requirements.

 

Fisticuffs are your main gameplay loop in Yakuza, yes, and even they can give people real trouble (Akiyama in the Coliseum in 5 was the worst experience I had with the series - absolutely bonkers to expect all four characters to complete the same gauntlets despite wildly different movesets), but then you have dozens of minigames that are often tied to stringent challenges. Sure, 80 percent of them shouldn't pose a problem (I don't see anyone having issues with Hattricks in Darts), but for most people, there is always that one minigame that keeps them from 100%, and often time it's a different minigame for each player.

 

Suck at driving? Then you are gonna have a bad, bad time with OutRun. Suck at old school difficulty? Enjoy Space Harrier. Suck at rhythm games? Good luck with 90+ing all karaoke songs twice and then doing the infuriating Disco. Have no idea what Mahjong and Shogi are and can't make sense of the rules? Good luck sitting in those parlors for hours (and be happy Pachinko didn't make the jump from 5 to 0). Bad with timing? Oh boy, you'll love the batting cage. Bad at Yakuza's trademark combat? Enjoy the story on Legend, the Coliseum, and the Ultimate Battles.

 

Even if you breeze through most things, for many people there is always that one barrier that is nigh insurmountable due to having a different skillset compared to others. I experienced that myself with Virtua Fighter in 5; lots of people breezed through, but I had so much trouble that I made no less than 4 back up copies of my save once I passed it, just to ensure I'd never have to play again even if my PS3 bricked, my computer exploded, my USB-stick went missing, and my laptop got stolen.

 

For most games you can get the Platinum by being a one-trick pony, for Yakuza you have to be a jack of all trades and master everything to boot. Pointing to early PS3 titles and how difficult they were makes no sense in that regard (and trust me, I've been there, my first Platinum didn't come until Borderlands); every game is different after all, every minigame is different, and Yakuza will always have one or two to trip you up - just ask the lucky souls who got Minigame Master in 3!

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, the platinum is definitely hard to get, though it skews more toward the "grind your ass off" part of the spectrum.  In addition, the types of gaming skill needed for minigames & such is definitely on the eclectic side of things.

 

KIWAMI is probably the hardest one on PS4 since it apparently has an even lower rarity % on the site and Yakuza 0 is already pretty low.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.