The ONE PS3 Game You Hated

Dragn_Whytefyre

Now that we're well into the era of the mighty PS4, I thought it might be interesting to take a happy trip down Memory's Lane and recall THAT game.

You know the one I mean; it's the one you played for about three seconds before your brain realized it hated it. The one you thanked God that you only rented instead of buying. The one that made you hate yourself for buying instead of renting. The one that had you cursing the screen before you'd actually even started playing.

Yeah. THAT game.

For me, there are only a few I intensely disliked: Heavy Rain and Resident Evil 6 come to mind (for whatever reason, I just couldn't get into either). Also Assassin's Creed: Rogue. Only AC game I couldn't finish. LOVED Black Flag. Could've easily done without Rogue. But the game that takes the prize for being the only one I actually (and passionately) hated?

That would be a crapfest they decided to call... Lair.

Worst. Game. Ever. Like. Ever, ever.

Anyone else have a game that made you want to pull your own eyes from their sockets just to avoid having to see it for a single second longer? Then do tell. 

I am pretty sure this thread has been done before but I will never pass up the opportunity to talk about this game. For it is not a game...it is an abomination that has plagued gaming. Anytime someone talks about how "this or that game is the worst of all time" I say "you are mistaken...for there is only one game that can claim that title"

2 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I am pretty sure this thread has been done before

I didn't see one, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was. Well, if they delete this thread (a travesty in the making), then I'll assume there is/was and they don't want it again. We'll see.

And I've never even heard of that game. Where'd you even find it?

12 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I am pretty sure this thread has been done before but I will never pass up the opportunity to talk about this game. For it is not a game...it is an abomination that has plagued gaming. Anytime someone talks about how "this or that game is the worst of all time" I say "you are mistaken...for there is only one game that can claim that title"

Is that game meant to be nightmare fuel?

• Like 1

I cannot think of any truly heinous games, as I pick what I play pretty carefully, but I absolutely detested my time with Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune.

Beautiful score, amazing voice performances, and a great camera switching system, but just going from one map to another hiding behind chest-high walls trying to headshot hundreds of pirates isn’t my thing. Bullet-sponge enemies, obnoxiously imprecise platforming sections, mindless environmental puzzles, horrific disconnect between character personality and gameplay design, awful Sixaxis controls, and meaningless collectibles round out a miserable buy from me. Honestly, it’s the one single-player game I wish had a tacked-on multiplayer mode just to make it fun. I’d rather play Gears of War, and I hated Gears of War!

I have my problems with Uncharted 2: Among Thieves also, but it had way more variety to keep things fun and its multiplayer was actually an enjoyable diversion. Meaning to say, I liked it, but I honestly wouldn’t have bothered with it if I didn’t get the dual pack after playing the original. Uncharted 1 is just a repetive, ugly, derivative bore, but I’m still not surprised it was popular and I don’t think anyone is wrong for loving it. I’m just glad I chose to buy Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction with my PS3 in 2007, and waited to dip into Uncharted. I hate Drake’s Fortune so, so much.

• Like 1

I will probably get some disagreeing with this but I absolutely hated Tom Clancy's End War. It is just not my game/genre. 
Also Jak and Daxter: The precursory legacy was a game I had so much trouble with to get through it. I know it's technically a ps2 game but back then it felt amazing, trying it again on the PS3 was just a let down for me for some reason. Going for the platinum as well, I really had to push myself through to find those last missed orbs. Blergh.

I can't really say I feel nostalgia for the PS3 because I'm still playing PS3 games. Mostly because I jumped into the trophy community pretty late.

Haven't played anything terrible or overly bad to the point where I HATED it.

Magus is piss easy. It is a joke of a game but it's the closest thing I can think of.

Most of the titles I've played are ones I wanted to get and was interested in. I usually don't feel hatred or frustration in a game unless I'm going after a hard trophy.

Ride to Hell: Retribution and Rambo are two games I can think of where I can say I absolutely hate them. If I ever get those games.

6 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I don't know why you hate that game so much. Mediocre? Absolutely. But worst game? Not on your life.

Anyway, for me, it's definitely this steaming pile:

Image result for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt. 1 PS3 box image

I cannot stress enough how bad this is. Standing across a foe, shooting at him, with all of his shots missing me and all of my shots missing him, for 30 hours, was just awful. At one point, the game told me to throw something called "Doxicide" at some fairy. The Doxicide literally passed through the fairy, doing nothing. Oh, and Harry looks like he had horrible facial reconstruction surgery, while Ron looks like a gorilla. A no-fooling, red-headed gorilla.

I didn't love Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince for PS3, but it looks like Ocarina of Time compared to this.

• Like 1

My decision will certainly be controversial, but for me, it's Skyrim. I played the game for like 1 hour before it crashed but I gave it another chance. I played until I arrived in a little town and I had to speak to a character to make the story go forward but the guy was stuck inside a wall so I wasn't able to speak to him. 

I stoped playing this game after a crash and a major bug in less than 2 hours but I didn't like the universe of this game anyway since the characters were all acting strangely and the open world seemed to be huge and empty, I don't think I've encountered more than 5 npc and one of them was stuck into a wall so yeah, I sold the game immediately after this.

Edited by itachi-destroyer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, itachi-destroyer said:

My decision will certainly be controversial, but for me, it's Skyrim. I played the game for like 1 hour before it crashed but I gave it another chance. I played until I arrived in a little town and I had to speak to a character to make the story go forward but the guy was stuck inside a wall so I wasn't able to speak to him. 

I stoped playing this game after a crash and a major bug in less than 2 hours but I didn't like the universe of this game anyway since the characters were all acting strangely and the open world seemed to be huge and empty, I don't think I've encountered more than 5 npc and one of them was stuck into a wall so yeah, I sold the game immediately after this.

Oh, yeah. Anyone who bought Skyrim day 1 and sings its praises is a dirty liar. I ultimately did like it...after tons of patches. But man - those early days (and I did plat it relatively early) were terrible.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jasondm300 said:

Mine might be even more controversial: Red Dead Redemption.  The World was just a bunch of boring Southwestern US landscape.  The characters were boring as hell for me, and the gameplay just seemed off. I'll give the sequel a try but i am going in with really low expectations.  Pretty much all Rockstar games are the same, and in my opinion, that is not a good thing

I recently came back to it and managed to get the plat after all those truly awful online trophies.  It was very repetetive and got boring as hell getting the 100% and the fact that game crashes and gets stuck on infinite loading screens made it all the more loathsome.  If there is a remaster I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

For me it has to motor storm apocalypse.  I think the gameplay is horrible and everytime I come back to give it another go it just feels like a chore.  After having a go at the multiplayer I just can't be arsed going for the plat.

This will probably be an unpopular one but dishonoured.  Just couldn't get into it at all.  Hating stealth games really didn't help I suppose but seeing some of the trophies like the one for finishing the whole game without killing anyone or being seen is my idea of hell!  This one will forever just sit there at 5%

@jasondm300 I would have to agree with you.  All my friends rave about RDR.  I have tried to play it but it just seems repetitious. I'm going to give it another chance, but no, I don't see me buying RDR2.  

The other game I have a love/hate relationship with is Puppeteer.  Beautiful game and I love the graphics; hate it because I seem to suck at it.

2 hours ago, MIKEY-L-666 said:

This will probably be an unpopular one but dishonoured.  Just couldn't get into it at all. 

Same here. Not my most hated, but I didn't even bother to finish it.

1 hour ago, Lorajet said:

@jasondm300 I would have to agree with you.  All my friends rave about RDR.  I have tried to play it but it just seems repetitious. I'm going to give it another chance, but no, I don't see me buying RDR2.  

The other game I have a love/hate relationship with is Puppeteer.  Beautiful game and I love the graphics; hate it because I seem to suck at it.

I found enough energy to finish RDR, but that was about it. I too can't see the appeal of Rockstar games. I always feel like combat is just being played out for me. Honestly, I find the shooting in a game like Yakuza: Dead Souls preferable to the shooting in RDR or GTA, etc.

I also hated Puppeteer. I don't know if I was bad at it; it didn't appeal to me enough to even continue playing it.

37 minutes ago, Jamescush147 said:

NCIS Game

It's so boring that they couldn't even thing of a good name for the game.

Also it's simple and basic with no personality at all. Unlike CSI: Fatal Conspiracy that is the same thing but fun.

Deduction board!

Man, I hated that game. I don't really share your love for CSI, but it was light years ahead of NCIS in terms of fun (is CSI a Telltale game?).

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, eigen-space said:

@Dr_Mayus, the screenshot that shows up only makes me actually want to play it. Just sayin'.

15 hours ago, Dragn_Dolphin said:

I didn't see one, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was. Well, if they delete this thread (a travesty in the making), then I'll assume there is/was and they don't want it again. We'll see.

And I've never even heard of that game. Where'd you even find it?

I saw it for 5 bucks on kijiji and I thought "that might be fun for 5 bucks" You can read my review from my checklist below

15 hours ago, Magikarp said:

Is that game meant to be nightmare fuel?

9 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I don't know why you hate that game so much. Mediocre? Absolutely. But worst game? Not on your life.

I have my reasons ?

So almost 4 years ago to the day (I miss the 4 year mark by 2 days :shakefist: ) I earned my first trophy for this game. I saw it on Kijiji for 5$ and looked at the trailer and it looked like a clever little beat 'em up so I decided "what the hell" and picked it up. I beat it for the first time in a couple of days and then decided to wait 2 years to play it again and then waited another 2 years to finish it Why did I finish it? Because I don't let crappy games beat me :angry: . Now let me tell you a Tale of horror :(

This game is bad, in fact I would go so far as to say this is the worst game I have ever played (at least the worst game on PS3). It has beat out Tony Hawk Ride, Kung Fu Panda 2 and We Dare. Simply put it is BORING, it is repetitive, the trophies are stupid, it is repetitive, the controls are broken and it is repetitive. Allow me to go through the trophies in detail as to fully explain why this game just SUCKS.

Difficulty doesn't stack and Awful controls

Did I mention this game is repetitive :| So this game is probably the most bland game I have ever played. There is only one attack and that is done by pressing the Right Stick in any dirrection. There is no dodge or block button so on the harder difficulties you just get bum-rushed by enemies and have no way of defending yourself. There was a particular spot where there was a river you had to jump, on the other side of the river were two archers who just kept shooting you (there is no reload time) and every time they hit you you would fall in the river. The only way to get past was if you still had a weapon you could try throwing it or to jump far enough that you respawn on the other side. Another spot where there would be 6-8 knights all rushing you with archers in hard to reach spots taking pot-shots at you. All that would happen is you would die and hope that your respawn would stun enemies long enough to get a couple of shots on them (there is no recovery time either so once you get hit you get stuck in a damage loop).

The game also plays like you are on a skating rink. It is very hard to walk normally so you end up missing gold and jewels you were trying to pick up or you perform a jump and just slide right off the platform you are standing on. Attacking launches you forward so if you are not careful you will be attacking an enemy and go flying off a cliff or stop attacking him because you have gone to the side and are now attacking a wall.

So all of that sucks but even if you beat it on Hard you still have to beat it on Easy and Medium...but then you have to also beat it on Easy/Medium/Hard in Co-Op as well. That is 6 playthroughs of this boring game. Also for Co-OP you can play by yourself and just add the second player in at the end so it really just makes you play through each difficulty twice for no reason.

Statue Upgrades

Fine you have to play through 6 times but at least that will help work towards earning enough money to build the statue...except it doesn't. One I had beat the game 6 times I still had to grind out over 3 million in gold. The best level you can do is Chapter 9 which takes 15 minutes to beat and that only gives you 300,000 gold. So you need to grind that level 10-12 times to earn enough to buy the stupid statue

Arena Battles

Believe it or not but this game has multiplayer...you need to do 100 arena battles to get the trophy. 100 matches is a lot in good games, now imagine doing that in a piece of shit game :). Luckily this is offline multiplayer so it can be boosted quickly with a second controller but that just makes it even more pointless. I've always said make your requirements for multiplayer low. If people like it they will keep playing it and if people don't like it then they aren't pissed off.

Pointless Trophies

Slide around in blood for 3 minutes (mess up at all and have to start over), Stand still for 15 minutes in the hub world, Randomly receive a trophy from a random wishing well, Drink 1000 potions (this took more than my 6 playthroughs as well) and so many more.

Collectables + Checklists

So you have to also use one of every weapon (161 in the game), open all chests (close to 400) and get an A in all levels. The thing is you have NO IDEA which ones you have done because it doesn't keep track. It also doesn't keep track which levels you have beaten on what difficulty. The fun thing as well is, if you know it is Chapter 10 you missed a chest on you have to collect every chest again in that level and not just the one you missed. There is also one chest/weapon you have to die in a specific spot to respawn in another part of the world. How you were supposed to figure that out is beyond me.

I could keep going with how crap this game is but I am done. I am done playing crappy games for awhile and am glad that this game is finally out of my backlog.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME

• Like 1

There are only 2 games that I really hated, but my most hated game so much so that I couldn't bear to continue past even the first town was Tales of Symphonia Ratatosk Knight (or Dawn of the New World).

tosdawnofnewworld.jpg 

Characters: I hated it because of the overly cringy, cheesy vomit-inducing lovey dovey interactions and skits that dominated the entire game. After the first 3 hours of play I just could not handle the pain to my ears that Marta's squeaky voice induced, and at Emil being a strange wimpy kid who magically transforms into a knight in shining armour to protect Marta... I think I'm old too old for this (25 btw, was 23 when I played this game). The skits were unbearable, and the cutscenes of Marta's jealousy and what not were too childish for me at these age. 

Battle mechanics: Another thing was the monster catching battle mechanics. Marta was rubbish at healing and my characters died a lot, also the attractiveness of Tales games is having a couple of party members (usually 6, although Vesperia was 9) and creating a party to suit your play style as well as favourite characters. This game just forces you to use these two annoying love birds and some random monster picked up on your travels. However much I loved the original Symphonia, this game was a MASSIVE downgrade, I couldn't even believe it was supposed to be the sequel of Symphonia. 

Story: Can't comment on this as I didn't play it long enough. Was curious about the old Symphonia gang, but there are better games to play and it's best just read the summary or wikipedia. 

The second game is Tales of Zestiria (I hate the PS3 JP version): I actually completed this game, but overly complex skill sheet and the battle system was terrible. Also, the characters were average at best and I did not do any post game content. Alysha was hardly in it, which was one downside (she was more fun to control than Rose) but I did not like the battles and the fact that you had to have two human characters (Sorey and Rose) at all times, again limiting strategy and party customisation. The story was ok and was not that bad, the anime was also good. It was the game mechanics regarding battles, skills and abilities, weapon system and the fact that skits only pop up at inns that made the game very frustrating to play at times. I see this game like FFXV, it had so much potential that was lost and not utilised. 

600&twidth=300&theight=600&qlt=80&res_fo