PS+ accounts for multiple regions on same device

visighost

First, apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere (I'm sure it has). Either my Google-fu is extra weak, and/or the threads I found are dated and I'm uncertain if the information they contain is still valid.

I'd like to confirm something:

-If I have a NA PS+ account on my PS4, create a second account based in Japan, and buy a PS+ account for that one as well, will my NA account have access to PS+ free games and sales from both regions (as long as I remain a member of both)? Or is it impossible to have two accounts with PS+ of different regions on the same device?

-Can I link a NA credit card to the Japanese account? Otherwise, I need to use my Japanese cc or maybe buy digital codes on Amazon Japan or something like that? How are the sales on the Japanese PS Store generally?

-Has a workaround been found for the Vita? I'm assuming any game I buy / get as part of PS+ through the Japanese account I will not be able to play on the Vita with the NA account. I'd need to use a spare memory card just for those (and not be able to consolidate trophies under the same account). Am I wrong?

Again, sorry if this is a recurring question - please feel free to downvote me (please don't!) and send me a link to the relevant thread.

10 minutes ago, visighost said:

-If I have a NA PS+ account on my PS4, create a second account based in Japan, and buy a PS+ account for that one as well, will my NA account have access to PS+ free games and sales from both regions (as long as I remain a member of both)? Or is it impossible to have two accounts with PS+ of different regions on the same device

This I can confirm, works just fine.

Edit: Also the Vita part you mentioned is correct, not working unfortunatelly.

Don't own a NA Credit Card, so I can't comment on that

Edited by dermarx
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, dermarx said:

Don't own a NA Credit Card, so I can't comment on that

Thanks! Does your European (I assume) card work for the NA/Japan stores? Many Japanese businesses don't accept foreign cards (even Amazon.co.jp!) so I wouldn't be surprised...

2 minutes ago, visighost said:

Thanks! Does your European (I assume) card work for the NA/Japan stores? Many Japanese businesses don't accept foreign cards (even Amazon.co.jp!) so I wouldn't be surprised...

To be honest I never even tried, so don't know.

5 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Generally same sale-wise as on other stores. 

But sometimes, cool things go under 1000 yen, those are worth sales.

Thanks. I just finished setting up an account - while I’m happy with the four free games (and the VR Danganronpa!), I’m sort of disappointed there’s a single game on sale and no free games for Vita. Glad to hear this may be an exception...

On 10/01/2018 at 7:33 PM, visighost said:

First, apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere (I'm sure it has). Either my Google-fu is extra weak, and/or the threads I found are dated and I'm uncertain if the information they contain is still valid.

I'd like to confirm something:

-If I have a NA PS+ account on my PS4, create a second account based in Japan, and buy a PS+ account for that one as well, will my NA account have access to PS+ free games and sales from both regions (as long as I remain a member of both)? Or is it impossible to have two accounts with PS+ of different regions on the same device?

-Can I link a NA credit card to the Japanese account? Otherwise, I need to use my Japanese cc or maybe buy digital codes on Amazon Japan or something like that? How are the sales on the Japanese PS Store generally?

-Has a workaround been found for the Vita? I'm assuming any game I buy / get as part of PS+ through the Japanese account I will not be able to play on the Vita with the NA account. I'd need to use a spare memory card just for those (and not be able to consolidate trophies under the same account). Am I wrong?

Again, sorry if this is a recurring question - please feel free to downvote me (please don't!) and send me a link to the relevant thread.

i can answer all these for definite as my main account is Japanese which I made when I lived in Japan, but I live in the UK now. I also have a secondary EU account (which I never use but made for the sake of it)

If I have a NA PS+ account on my PS4, create a second account based in Japan, and buy a PS+ account for that one as well, will my NA account have access to PS+ free games and sales from both regions (as long as I remain a member of both)? Or is it impossible to have two accounts with PS+ of different regions on the same device?

A: Yes, in general on the PS4 you can share games between accounts (as seperate users of course) and you can have ps plus subscriptions for both. However, you must buy and pay separately, so you pay for two subscriptions hence double the cost. When I checked, I seem to be able to play games I bought on this account on when I switch user to my eu account. 

-On the PS3 you can as well.

A: The vita is more complicated in that it only allows one account as it's a personal console and the process of switching accounts is long and cumbersome, but doable and there are youtube videos on it. It involves resetting to factory settings and backing up data though, so it's not something you want to do very often. Maybe between platinum trophies or something.

About the memory card, it is handy to have a spare one, not sure if it's necessary though. I have never done it as I only use my JP account, haven't used my EU account in years as I just created it for the sake of it. 

I'm assuming any game I buy / get as part of PS+ through the Japanese account I will not be able to play on the Vita with the NA account.-> You are correct, you will not be able on the Vita.

You can on the PS4 though. I think you need to make the account with the games you want to share your primary one. 

Can I link a NA credit card to the Japanese account? Otherwise, I need to use my Japanese cc or maybe buy digital codes on Amazon Japan or something like that?

-A: Nope, you cannot link a foreign card to any account that is not of that region. You also cannot link a non-Japanese paypal account either, so you need to buy digital codes. I use Play Asia as it's the cheapest, very reliable and instant by email. 

How are the sales on the Japanese PS Store generally?

The sales are fantastic with great discounts. Also I got some excellent free plus games including Disgaea 5 this month, and in the past life is strange, gravity rush, Disgaea 4 returns, Atelier Sophie, Steins Gate 0, Tearaway, Witch and the hundred knight etc.. In the past couple of weeks in sales I've also seen games like Metal gear solid 5 drop by 85% and all the FF and Square Enix games go half price, Persona sale where I got 4 Golden for just 1200 yen, half price nippon ichi games etc. KH ps4 was also 50% over christmas, and FFXII was off 40% when I bought it. There are massive sales and discounts around festive periods, mainly New Years is the big one (the equivalent of the US Black Friday). Others include Xmas, Golden week sale is one to keep an eye out for, Halloween and anniversaries of series. companies (e.g. FF 20 year anniversary, Tales series anniversary etc..). There are also random sales throughout the year, I subscribe to the emails so I never miss out as they are only for a short period, like a week sometimes

• Like 1

Thanks for the comprehensive answer!

Glad to hear the sales can be good! I was really disappointed by the current one. There's typically a new sale every Tuesday on the NA store. Is there the same sort of periodicity on the Japanese side?

I calculated it may be worth getting PS+ since by my account, two thirds of the games that were offered on the Japanese side weren't on the North American one (include several I ended up purchasing).

I have both a Japanese cc and PP, so I'm hoping transferring money between PP accounts will end up cheaper than buying codes elsewhere...