How playstation trophies could be better.

Tyrant-Cynical

Do you think this is a good idea?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea?

• Yes with option 1 form of currency
    • Yes with option 2 form of currency
    • No its a bad idea

Let me start this off by saying I prefer the Playstation's trophy system over Xbox's gamerstore system. The thing I like the most about the trophy system is the fact that you need to get all of the trophies in the game to get the platinum trophy which is the best type of trophy you can get. Now this idea of mine has nothing to do with free games or discounts once you reach a certain about of trophies (though I did hear that they started something like that in the U.S.) I think this idea of mine could get more people trophy hunting and create more fun for everyone.

First Playstation would have to add a avatar system. When you think about it Playstation is the only console in this generation of consoles that does not have a avatar system. Now the graphics for these avatars could be like Xbox's avatars or it could be a little bit better like the avatars in Sims 4. Or if they really want to put the money into it they could make them more realistic. There has to be a lot of body customization. The best avatar creator I have ever seen has to go to APB reloaded. The game might be a shitty p2w game now but the avatar creator is the best I have ever seen! If playstation could add a avatar creator like that then this idea of mine would be even better!

The 2nd step is to add money into playstation. Lets call this currency Play Coins. You can only get Play Coins by earning trophies. Now there are two ways Play Coins could work.

Option 1 

A bronze trophy gives you 1 bronze coin

A silver trophy gives you 1 silver coin

A gold trophy gives you 1 gold coin

And a platinum trophy gives you 1 platinum coin

Now when you try to buy something, that item will ask for a different coins. For example lets say you want to buy a shirt and it cost 5 gold coins. You will have to spend 5 gold coins. You won't be able to use any other coin to pay for that even if the coin is on a higher level. E.X if you don't have the 5 gold coins but you have 5 platinum coins you still won't be able to get it because you need 5 gold coins.

Option 2

There would be only one type of play coin but the amount of play coins you would get would be different depending on what type of trophy it is

Bronze trophy= 5 play coins

Silver trophy= 10 play coins

Gold trophy= 25 play coins

Platinum trophy= 100 play coins

(The amount of play coins given could also just be the amount of exp it gives instead meaning bronze=15 silver=30 gold=90 and platinum= 180)

Now that we got our money and avatar system, we can now add the items. Items will be categorize into shirts, pants, hats, gloves, shoes, gear and other categories. All of this stuff can be worn by your avatar. Playstation could also add some PSN themes that you can only buy with play coins. Or maybe you can buy stuff with play coins in some games (but I don't see that happening because the game developers won't benefit from that.) One thing that Playstation CANNOT do is allow people to buy avatar items with REAL money. It would dilute the play coin experience since you would be able to just buy the item instead of earning the money from games. However I do think that they should add avatar items as pre order bonuses exclusives. That would be fine as long as the item that is a pre order bonus can only be acquired by pre ordering the game. Meaning once the pre ordering of that game is over, you won't be able to get that item ever. They could even give you exclusives avatar items for reaching milestones. For example when you reach level 10 they could give you a shirt that says "level 10" and you can only get that shirt by reaching level 10. Another thing they could do is add exclusive avatar items on the store for a limited amount of time. For example for new years they could make a 2019 hat and it cost 10 platinum coins (or 1000 play coins if you prefer that money system) and they sold it from DEC 25th 2018 to Jan 1 2019. And once the sale is over you will never get the chance to buy it again. I'm sure there is a lot more other things they could do with it if they think about it. Also DON'T allow players to sell or give play coins to other players because what people would start doing is make new accounts and platinum fast and easy games like My Name Is Mayo and farm play coins

By adding this avatar system, you will increase the number of trophy hunters by a lot. People will buy games that they wouldn't normally play in order to earn trophies so playstation would benefit from it also. As long as they keep adding new items to the store people would have more of a reason to get trophies to customize their avatar. What do you think about this idea?

EDIT: The difference between this and Playstation home for the ps3 is that this won't be a game and it won't cost real money to buy anything. It would be apart of the Playstation UI just like how the avatars works for Xbox. It would basically be like how the xbox avatars work but you won't be able to buy avatar items with real money. You would have to use play coins and the only way to get those is by trophy hunting. Sure it won't be a feature that everybody uses but the same can be said for trophys too since not everybody uses the trophy feature. I have a Xbox one and a lot of my friends uses the avatar feature. You have to pay real money in order to get new things for your avatar and Xbox's avatar system is doing just fine. So if you were to take the same avatar system but remove the real money part. You guys are saying it would fail?

Edited by jamaicanchampion
  • Like 3

And what is the purpose of this avatar?

I play ps home simply because there is trophies in it.

Never do any activity unrequited for trophy ?

If sony want to make a better trophy sistem quality they should stop those amazingly easy indie games have platinum. 

I mean nowadays 100 platinum look nothing really...?

• Like 1

I see there are rumours that Xbox is revamping their achievement system to include goals, quests and rewards - cosmetics. It doesn't worry me either way so if people wanted it then why not. I think the value in the trophy system is a very personal thing though so who really cares what if anything Sony does to acknowledge your level. 

The difference between this and Playstation home for the ps3 is that this won't be a game and it won't cost real money to buy anything. It would be apart of the Playstation UI just like how the avatars works for Xbox. It would basically be like how the xbox avatars work but you won't be able to buy avatar items with real money. You would have to use play coins and the only way to get those is by trophy hunting. Sure it won't be a feature that everybody uses but the same can be said for trophys too. I have a Xbox one and a lot of my friends uses the avatar feature. You have to pay real money in order to get new things for your avatar and Xbox's avatar system is doing just fine. So if you were to take the same avatar system but remove the real money part. You guys are saying it would fail?

Didn't pshome have a system like this? I mean I remember if you played certain games you could get certain items, but (maybe I'm remembering this wrong) if you get certain trophies in RE5 you would unlock unique content. Like if you beat the game on hard and got the relevant trophy you would get a statue of jill, or something like that. 

In any case that system didn't really last in Home as I think they dropped rewards in games by about 2011. 

It's not a bad idea, as many people seem to like that type of avatar system. However, on the subject of trying to make trophies more "fun", my opinion is the same as always; if one doesn't already find it fun, providing an incentive won't actually make it fun. Over the years, I've seen so many people claim that if trophies earned them money/discounts, they would try to earn them. What those people are essentially saying is that they'll undertake the process as a job. They won't actually have fun if that's how they see it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, silnev said:

Didn't pshome have a system like this?

Yes, on games like Red Dead Redemption and SingStar you could unlock PS Home clothes and other items/furniture if you unlocked certain trophies ingame.

But I don't see this happenging given the low success and shutdown of PS Home.

Im happy that I can get Sony Rewards points already with trophies. As long as they continue this im happy. 10$ for 10 plats isnt too bad. I wish it would had it since I started that's like...80$! not counting the points for gold and silver! Shame on you SONY!

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

Would have been cool to see the progress you've made towards each trophy. That's about it.

This. 

It annoys me occasionally you have a trophy where maybe you’re unsure if you’re doing it correctly or it’s a massive grind or something and it would be lovely to see a progress bar going up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Im happy that I can get Sony Rewards points already with trophies. As long as they continue this im happy. 10$ for 10 plats isnt too bad. I wish it would had it since I started that's like...80$! not counting the points for gold and silver! Shame on you SONY!

lol yea that would of been nice, I've gotten 12.50 out of it though..

basically

Plat = 1.00

Gold = 0.10

Silver = 0.01

kinda sucks that bronze are worth nothing... but 100 for a penny woulda been stupid so I guess its ok.

I would like to see avatars (not the 3D kind, but the little picture beside your name) that only become available when you earned the platinum for a game.  I think it would be cool to have an avatar that only a couple hundred people could use and others could not gain access to it no matter what they did (except attain that plat).

Not gonna happen because there's not money in it, but I can dream.

• Like 2

I think the trophy system is not bad as it is currently.

In my opinion, the game achievement should be the goal when playing and having fun and not the reward that comes by completing, whether it's money or an unlockable thing for the avatar. Like @GameOverComesAll says, providing these kind of incentive to trophy hunting would feel  something more job-like than actually having fun by reaching a game achievement.

The only thing I would probably add for now was our progress toward the trophies, because sometimes, even some games don't tell us how close we are from the trophy. 

• Like 1

STATISTICS TRACKER!!!!  that is my only complaint the Xbox One has this function and is so useful especially for games that do not provide any tools to track progress towards certain objectives especially when there is a trophy tied to it.

example trophy says complete 100 objectives the tracker will show up say every 20 then trophy would pop at obviosuly 100 it would also help with glitched trophies so you can see how much is registering out of your work towards it.  

• Like 2

I would rather PlayStation work on improving their game stat tracking, profile features, and lackluster social functionality than make any changes to trophies along these lines. Playtime tracking, unlockables and achievement progress, other game-specific statistics, meaningful activity-feed and communities integration, and a visible push for the events system which could offer its own rewards.

I dont see this as a terrible idea if it is what people would like to see, i however would not be driven to claim certain trophies just to upgrade or put an item on an avatar i myself would just be happy with getting the trophy.

I do however think the statistics tracker idea is a great idea knowing or having some indication of how close you are at obtaining a grindy trophy would be so much help to me and as @DarkSoleride said it would be a great indication that a trophy is glitched.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MMDE said:

Would have been cool to see the progress you've made towards each trophy. That's about it.

This

Xbox has a really good tracking system and I like how you can select certain achievements to appear on screen to track easier. 

I think the avatar system would only work if we had another pshome type space, as what's the point in say buying a hat for your avatar for say 50 platinums if no-one apart from you will ever see it.

• Like 1