PlayStation 5, what are your expectations for the next generation?

gabor434

I would very much like for the PS5 to be what the PS3 and PS2 were: a good way to watch movies in the highest possible quality. Not only is the PS4 missing a modern Blu-Ray drive, the console is also often too loud for me to even think about not using my Xbox One S instead.

Apart from that I think there is not much room or need for improvement from the PS4 Pro.

• Like 1

What I want:

- Open store so you could buy from multiple stores more competition for digital distribution and that means better deals. (Will never happen)

- Backwards comparability.

- Physical media still exists.

- An OS that accepts homebrew and that has no bloatware or ads.

- Better specs but also some of the RAM will be reserved for the OS (Example: You play a game, it's loading and you can just browse trough the XMB without lag).

- 4K Blu-ray player

- Bring back the "Players met" tab from the PS3 on the PS4 it wouldn't show all the players you met and it is really clumsy.

What I expect:

- Digital only, this generation has seen a huge rise of digital sales so I expect them to go digital only. They tried doing it with this generation but Sony pulled a smart 180.

- More ads and bloatware.

Edited by Doomsdayman
  • Like 1

I expect better graphics, causing games to take even longer to be released.

"We are making this game from your beloved franchise, expect it to be released somewhere in the next 5 years" lol

Thats why PS1 era was the best for me, games were released faster.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Saionji cat said:

I want them to expand the VR technology on ps5 until it reaches the level of NerveGear :awesome:

I would too :(

But unless they do it the way I have in mind, and we have the computational power per person for all that sensory data, we won't see it until we're old. Very old. :/

Ok I'm going to dream big! But doable. 

1-So much ram and dedicated space that I can pause and open a dozen+ games at the same time. So I can start off right where I left off anytime I want.

2-psvr 8k 200+ fov, games and experiences that reflect that + inside out camera tech + depth tech so you don't have to wear glasses .... and little more. 

3-A UI that is beautiful but simple like xbmc/what is now kodi. 

4- 4-5 hdmi inputs(Xbox had something going with that idea. True backwards compatible(ok loosely used term)!!). 1 for my ps4, 1 for my pstv, 1 for my ps3, 1 for whatever. 

5-better remote play. (Playstation now actually is beautiful, I almost never experience lag. But remote play always has a controller lag of about 300-500ms)

6-a psvita2(ps4 quality) that comes with the ps5 as a

the dedicated controller, and streamer for on the go(a mad good wifi antenna and/or 5g!)!(redesigned to feel like a complete replica of a dualshock 4 for use and comfort)

7-price point $500 for system, 1 psvita2 controller, and a game. (dreaming big!) 

Hmmmm 

8-A FFVIII remake for ps4. And a legend of legaia.... And a legend of Dragoon... And... And....a lot more ps1 games with trophies.... 

Ok I want #8 now... Like yesterday.  ><

• Like 1

First of all it really should be able to read CDs again. It's not as dead a medium as many think. It's kinda funny since the ps4 is pretty much my multimedia-player for whenever i'm not gaming, but everytime i wanna listen to a cd i gotta switch over the 10 year old ps3.

Also i hope they give it a few more years before going to the next generation. It doesnt feel that long ago that i started playing on ps4 and right now where finally getting some great "next gen games" unlike the first few years of it's life-cycle where it felt more like just prettier ps3 games.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, gabor434 said:

It shouldn't cost more than 500Dollars on release

Taking into account the expensive components you list above, 500 USD is not viable. Those components would rise the price to over $600 even $700.

Native 4K is not really important, cutting it down would make the console affordable.

1080p at 60fps (or at least 30 stable) is good to go.  Many PS4/X1 games are not on 1080p native.

I want true backwards compatibility from PS4 all the way down to PS1. None of this PS Now crap. Have it so all you have to do is pop in the disc and you're good to go. Now that would be the ultimate console. ?

Of course, that's very unlikely to happen, but with all the great things Microsoft have been doing with backwards compatibility as of late, I wouldn't rule it out entirely. Sony championed backwards compatibility back in the day and they can do it again. I'm confident that it will play PS4 games at the very least and will run them better much like the PS4 Pro did.

• Like 3

Are people really talking about a PS5 already? I still have a bunch of PS3 games in my backlog. ?

Anyway, I don't really need *new* functions or better hardware compared to the PS4. I like it as it is. I personally don't have the need to play in 4K graphics and such, I'm still happy in Full HD.

The better the graphics, the crappier and shorter the game gets, in my opinion.

The things I'd like to change on the PS4 itself can either be done via firmware updates (like an alphabetical trophy list, for example), or be done by myself. (Changed the standard 500gb HDD to an 2TB FireCuda)

• Like 4

as long as i can access my digital library from ps4, maybe ps3 too im not too fused at what they do but i'll take a steady frame rate over 4k graphics.
it should also have the standard features that the previous console had, not have them added later.

Edited by Leenewbe
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, charlijaen said:

Taking into account the expensive components you list above, 500 USD is not viable. Those components would rise the price to over $600 even $700.

Native 4K is not really important, cutting it down would make the console affordable.

1080p at 60fps (or at least 30 stable) is good to go.  Many PS4/X1 games are not on 1080p native.

I think that by 2020 or 2021 it would be possible to fit all that components into 500Dollars. Well it depends for how much they can get the CPU/GPU or APU from AMD, but i think AMD will give them a good deal because they make a lot of money from console hardware sale and they wouldnt want to lose this market to Intel or Nvidia.

In my opinion, 4k resolution is very much needed, OK maybe we dont need native resolution for all of the games, but 1080P for the next generation will not be unacceptable. There are already a lot of 4K TV-s out there and by the time the PS5 will come out, they will become the standard, so games should run in at least checkerboarded 4K or with dynamic resolution to keep the framerate a stable 60.

Yes there are some PS4 games out there which can't hit native 1080P, but those games are either badly optimized or they run with 60FPS. (or more than 30)

30 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I want true backwards compatibility from PS4 all the way down to PS1. None of this PS Now crap. Have it so all you have to do is pop in the disc and you're good to go. Now that would be the ultimate console. 1f44c.png

Of course, that's very unlikely to happen, but with all the great things Microsoft have been doing with backwards compatibility as of late, I wouldn't rule it out entirely. Sony championed backwards compatibility back in the day and they can do it again. I'm confident that it will play PS4 games at the very least and will run them better much like the PS4 Pro did.

I think we have the same idea then. The PS5 could be awesome that way. :)

But yes, its very unlikely they will make it that way, they wouldn't make any money out of pysical PS1,2,3 game support. While with PS Now and re released PS2 games in the store they can make money.

I'll be happy if they add PS4 game support and impressed if they add more.

2 hours ago, Saionji cat said:

I want them to expand the VR technology on ps5 until it reaches the level of NerveGear :awesome:

Kind of about why I would want them expand on VR technology as well I just hope someone makes a Zoids, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Star Wars(kind of always wanted to fly in an X-wing even though I probably would just end up crashing into something) or a game to where I can be a dragon in for VR.
Hopefully it doesn't turn into a death game, if it does I just hope the game isn't a shooter since I don't want to die right off the bat since my aim in shooters suck ass.
 Also even though I actually don't like driving in fog I'm kind of hoping for a creepy foggy forest level to explore in, pretty sure we won't get it in 2022 kind of hoping by 2036 at the earliest if we do get it.

As far as the Playstation 5 goes as long it isn't digital only or tries to block used games I'll end up getting it as long as it still has games I'm interested and hoping it has good indie games as well.
It also seems like they should at least let you access your digital library for backwards compatible as well.