PlayStation 5, what are your expectations for the next generation?

gabor434

I'll let ya know after I get a PS4 and have it for a few years...still working with the PS3...still don't see a need to expand to the current generation since over 1/2 of the "new" titles are either remakes from the previous generation or HD updates/collections from generations now past.

It to actually play UHD blurays unlike the shitty Pro so I don't have to use my Xbox One S for it...

lulz at people whining about optional features though. I'm with you on bullshit like that Destiny 2 ad popping up on the dashboard, and not being able to get rid of nonsense we don't want [like on mobile, fun]. But pick your battles.

XMB, the best UI ever to return. But it won't, it'll be trash.

For the PS5?

Proper 4K support across the board, enforced framerates 30+fps (average).

Full support for whatever the most popular "next gen" viewing media is (4K UHD Blu Ray player, or whatever the next thing is).

That's about all I could ask for at this point.

On 1/13/2018 at 3:06 PM, jrdemr said:

The thing is, 4K is something some people really clamor for, but very few of them would actually notice the difference from 2K or even 1080p. For you to even notice the difference, you would have to be very close to the screen, and by then, the experience would be similar to that of sitting on the first row of a movie theater (which coincidentally are the only places that actually would benefit from 4K). Sure, your games would look super nice up close, but you'd end up finishing every session with one hell of a stiff neck.

Not to mention, running a steady, native 4K is really taxing on a games console, so it would really hike up the price and make it unnecessarily big. Plus, it would require additional optimization and texture work on the part of developers and I really don't want to give publishers any more excuses to pull off the "games are so expensive, that's why we have to use season passes, excessive DLC, 30 different special editions, microtransactions and loot boxes" card.

The thing is, 4K is something that TV manufacturers are trying to push on us because they are growing desperate. Since people only really buy a new TV every 10-20 years, they're desperately trying to sell us some new gimmick so that we'll upgrade sooner. Most people don't even have TVs large enough to benefit from 4K, and again, even if they did, they wouldn't even be able to notice the difference unless they were sitting really close.

Not to mention, 4K is extremely unwieldy. The file sizes are way too big, so you would have to use Blu-Ray XL to even store it all - and they're a hell of a lot more expensive than double layer Blu-Ray. Even if you went digital, those files would take up tons of space on your hard-drive, which would force either the console manufacturers or the consumers to pony up for a bigger hard drive. Either way, you'd be the one paying the bill in the end. Even for streaming, the file sizes are so unnecessarily big that they'd have to be compressed to even be feasible... which kinda defeats the whole point of 4K.

This would all make a ton of sense... if the PS5 were coming out now.  4K will be a standard in 2-3 years though, which is a much more realistic timeframe for a PS5.  You can't even buy a 1080P HDTV new anymore unless you're shopping bargain sites online (and even then you probably aren't saving much money since the supply and demand on them are both low).

The idea of 4K being a gimmick along the lines of 3D or VR, which I've heard on a few occasions whether you're claiming that here or not, is bizarre to me because the increasing of resolution is the most predictable thing manufacturers and developers will leverage going forward.  Every generation has upped the standard, from 320x240 on the PS1, to 480 on the PS2, to 720 on the PS3, to 1080 on the PS4.  Don't fall into the trap of "things can never get better than they are now" because technology always finds a way, especially if there's money to be made and new R&D to monopolize/patent.  Hard drives will get bigger, internet connections will get faster, disc drives may get swapped for higher capacity flash memory or something similar (ala Switch cartridges), hardware will get cheaper and more energy efficient, etc.

A few years is a long time when it comes to the evolution of technology.  High end gaming PC's are already running (decently optimized) games at stable, native 4K.  The Xbox One X is "getting there".  Considering optimization is the consoles bread and butter, it's naive to think the stars won't align when that same hardware is made smaller, cheaper and better... and developers get their hands on it.

Edited by Dreakon13

PS5 already!? Heck yeah!! How about 4k standard. Upgradeable parts; not just the HDD but RAM too. But 1Tb should be standard. Safe to say with a $499 price tag, wouldn't mind higher iffff GPU is upgradeable but doubt it, too much compatibility issues woukd arrise. And how about able to play PS4 games!! 

I would like to see a full peer to peer multiplayer possibillity on ALL games that come to PSN, with trophies being able to unlock in a hosted session, so no trophies will ever be unavailable anymore due to server closures. 
Also, I'd like Sony to pressure companies more into making sure new PS5 games are without glitches, or you'll be able to get a full refund. This also counts for trophies not popping, being able to get rid of trophies that got hacked by someone else (BO II trophies for example) - by ticket (officially, so not by a menu option)
I don't really need any graphical upgrades. I'd like to see a region free store though. No more games that you can get in the US but not in the EU vice versa. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

This would all make a ton of sense... if the PS5 were coming out now.  4K will be a standard in 2-3 years though, which is a much more realistic timeframe for a PS5.  You can't even buy a 1080P HDTV new anymore unless you're shopping bargain sites online (and even then you probably aren't saving much money since the supply and demand on them are both low).

The idea of 4K being a gimmick along the lines of 3D or VR, which I've heard on a few occasions whether you're claiming that here or not, is bizarre to me because the increasing of resolution is the most predictable thing manufacturers and developers will leverage going forward.  Every generation has upped the standard, from 320x240 on the PS1, to 480 on the PS2, to 720 on the PS3, to 1080 on the PS4.  Don't fall into the trap of "things can never get better than they are now" because technology always finds a way, especially if there's money to be made and new R&D to monopolize/patent.  Hard drives will get bigger, internet connections will get faster, disc drives may get swapped for higher capacity flash memory or something similar (ala Switch cartridges), hardware will get cheaper and more energy efficient, etc.

A few years is a long time when it comes to the evolution of technology.  High end gaming PC's are already running (decently optimized) games at stable, native 4K.  The Xbox One X is "getting there".  Considering optimization is the consoles bread and butter, it's naive to think the stars won't align when that same hardware is made smaller, cheaper and better... and developers get their hands on it.

All fair points, but you're forgetting one thing: the regular consumer will still not notice the difference unless they're either sitting way too close to the screen or have a display half the size of those you have in a movie theater.

Do PC games already run stable 4K? Sure they do. The thing is, the PC Gaming crowd is a vastly different one from the console gaming crowd. Console gamers just want to get a game, put it in their console and just play it. They like the simplified experience - so they're the ones least likely to care in the least about 4K. PC gamers, on the other hand, like the best possible imaginable experience, to tweak with their every setting and just cranking everything up to max (I'm obviously generalizing, but these are the main trends).

Not to mention, console manufacturers are always desperate to keep their prices as low as possible. Apps they can put in as many as they want, but hardware is a different story. If they thought they could get away with not implementing 4K if the majority of gamers wouldn't care or even notice they would most certainly drop it. Hell, even if 4K did become standard (for some reason), do I think they would totally drop it if it meant they could price their consoles at 300$ at launch again and gamers wouldn't even care all that much? I most certainly do.

Now, does this mean I think they're actually not going to implement it? Sadly, no. 4K already got sold to many as "the next big thing" and The PS4 Pro and the Xbox One are already making advances towards it. I just meant that 4K is something that the vast majority of us won't care about or even notice. I would personally much rather they focused on creating great experiences rather than just making everything OH SO SHINY... but I guess it's not meant to be.

Now, does that mean I believe that technology cannot hit a ceiling? Most certainly not. Plenty of things have hit ceilings before. It's just that technology is a (sort of) modern advancement that hasn't had the time to stabilize yet. Has the maximum velocity for cars risen in the last decades? No, since speed limits haven't risen and so continuing to make cars faster would just be wasting effort and money into something customers wouldn't use. Has audio quality changed in the last few years? No, since we already hit crystal clear lossless audio quality.

Someday, technology will hit a ceiling - when people just collectively realize we don't need things to be continually bigger and better.

I'm not saying it won't be possible, I'm saying it won't be worthwhile.

5 hours ago, jrdemr said:

All fair points, but you're forgetting one thing: the regular consumer will still not notice the difference unless they're either sitting way too close to the screen or have a display half the size of those you have in a movie theater.

Do PC games already run stable 4K? Sure they do. The thing is, the PC Gaming crowd is a vastly different one from the console gaming crowd. Console gamers just want to get a game, put it in their console and just play it. They like the simplified experience - so they're the ones least likely to care in the least about 4K. PC gamers, on the other hand, like the best possible imaginable experience, to tweak with their every setting and just cranking everything up to max (I'm obviously generalizing, but these are the main trends).

Not to mention, console manufacturers are always desperate to keep their prices as low as possible. Apps they can put in as many as they want, but hardware is a different story. If they thought they could get away with not implementing 4K if the majority of gamers wouldn't care or even notice they would most certainly drop it. Hell, even if 4K did become standard (for some reason), do I think they would totally drop it if it meant they could price their consoles at 300$ at launch again and gamers wouldn't even care all that much? I most certainly do.

Now, does this mean I think they're actually not going to implement it? Sadly, no. 4K already got sold to many as "the next big thing" and The PS4 Pro and the Xbox One are already making advances towards it. I just meant that 4K is something that the vast majority of us won't care about or even notice. I would personally much rather they focused on creating great experiences rather than just making everything OH SO SHINY... but I guess it's not meant to be.

Now, does that mean I believe that technology cannot hit a ceiling? Most certainly not. Plenty of things have hit ceilings before. It's just that technology is a (sort of) modern advancement that hasn't had the time to stabilize yet. Has the maximum velocity for cars risen in the last decades? No, since speed limits haven't risen and so continuing to make cars faster would just be wasting effort and money into something customers wouldn't use. Has audio quality changed in the last few years? No, since we already hit crystal clear lossless audio quality.

Someday, technology will hit a ceiling - when people just collectively realize we don't need things to be continually bigger and better.

I'm not saying it won't be possible, I'm saying it won't be worthwhile.

I rather not go through this piece by piece... but I will say this.

I have a friend who has been playing N64 and never moved on since the 90's.  I've shown him basically every generation of console since then, and his answer is always the same.  "It doesn't look THAT much better", and "Yeah, sure, fine... it probably looks a little better but who cares."  Where the guy needs things side by side to even admit there's a difference because the nuances are lost in translation otherwise.  Decades of innovation swatted away.

4K isn't a gimmick, it's a natural progression.  4K isn't going to make consoles more "complicated" and 4K isn't a concept only to be appreciated by lavish PC gamers, just like 720P or 1080P weren't.  The existence of 4K is proof that we're not at the point of "lossless audio"... whether you personally need it side by side to see the difference or not.  Which is a fallible point anyways since graphics will continue to evolve until they meet reality (ie. virtually forever), as they're infinitely more complicated/subjective than audio encoding and have no laws to govern them like cars and speed limits.  As long as people are out there buying 4K HDR-enabled TV's... which they are because you literally can't buy anything else anymore... they're going to want media players, streaming services and gaming consoles that take advantage of them.

I feel like these optional mid-generation upgrades have made people a little loopy.  Instead of 4K coming up like a pleasant surprise, people are overthinking it now.

EDIT: And I get your point, that the jump from 1080p to 4K is increasingly less noticeable since the finer details get lost on smaller screens, and the bigger TV's need to be to properly show the difference, the less people it'll impact.  I'm probably a little biased since I haven't had a small television since I moved out of my parents place probably 10 years ago and got a real job... but I don't think the folks who stick with their trusty 15 year old, 30" flat-screen CRT televisions that need HDMI-to-component converters are Sony/Microsoft's target demo with new console releases anyways.

EDIT 2: They absolutely wouldn't drop 4K to shave a few bucks off of the PS5's launch price IMO.  That'd be suicide 3 years from now.  That'd be like a console launching without 1080P support today, even Nintendo isn't that bad.

Edited by Dreakon13

10 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I have a friend who has been playing N64 and never moved on since the 90's.  I've shown him basically every generation of console since then, and his answer is always the same.  "It doesn't look THAT much better", and "Yeah, sure, fine... it probably looks a little better but who cares."  Where the guy needs things side by side to even admit there's a difference because the nuances are lost in translation otherwise.  Decades of innovation swatted away.

Well, seems like your friend found something he really liked and stuck with it. And to be fair, there are a lot of great games in the 5th Generation that you could play just fine even now. Heck, some Game Boy games are still very much enjoyable to this day! Now, does this mean I don't think he's being super antiquated? Obviously not. Gaming has evolved immensely since the 90s and he's missing out on all the new experiences and ways to play that have appeared since then.

Just please don't think comparing a N64 and a Playstation 4 is the same as comparing 1080p and 4K. Literally anyone could look at a Nintendo 64 game and a Playstation 4 game and immediately tell the difference, even toddlers. Whereas 1080p and 4K... again, only if you had a huge screen and/or sat super close to the TV.

(Your friend most likely also sees the difference, he just doesn't care - which is totally different).

21 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

4K isn't a gimmick, it's a natural progression.  4K isn't going to make consoles more "complicated" and 4K isn't a concept only to be appreciated by lavish PC gamers, just like 720P or 1080P weren't.  The existence of 4K is proof that we're not at the point of "lossless audio"... whether you personally need it side by side to see the difference or not.  Which is a fallible point anyways since graphics will continue to evolve until they meet reality (ie. virtually forever), as they're infinitely more complicated/subjective than audio encoding and have no laws to govern them like cars and speed limits.

Is 4K a natural progression over 1080p? Sure it is. But I'll say it yet again: that doesn't mean we need it. Is a 500 km/h a natural progression over a 220 km/h car? Of course it is. I doubt you'll find many uses for it, though.

Just because something exists doesn't mean we need it. Otherwise, back and nose hair would also be necessary.

If you feel that 4K is truly necessary, then... have at you. I'm not exactly trying to change your mind on things, just presenting my own point of view. And I personally stand by my point that most people don't need, want or even care about 4K. And even if you can still push higher, at some point people will just collectively realize that we don't need to progress any further and just... not care anymore. Even if 4K has gone mainstream by then. It's called the law of diminishing returns.

14 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

Is 4K a natural progression over 1080p? Sure it is. But I'll say it yet again: that doesn't mean we need it. Is a 500 km/h a natural progression over a 220 km/h car? Of course it is. I doubt you'll find many uses for it, though.

Just because something exists doesn't mean we need it. Otherwise, back and nose hair would also be necessary.

If you feel that 4K is truly necessary, then... have at you. I'm not exactly trying to change your mind on things, just presenting my own point of view. And I personally stand by my point that most people don't need, want or even care about 4K. And even if you can still push higher, at some point people will just collectively realize that we don't need to progress any further and just... not care anymore. Even if 4K has gone mainstream by then. It's called the law of diminishing returns.

If we could drive that quickly and not kill ourselves or each other, I'd say the possibilities would be endless.  Of course, for that to happen there would have to be major global infrastructure changes and even still the risk to the public is too high.  Better graphics won't kill people, but faster cars could.  I think that comparison is very flawed.

Is 4K truly "necessary"?  Of course not.  No gaming technology is.  We'd all survive perfectly fine without any gaming consoles, no less frivolously powerful ones.  But I think there's a lot more evidence that graphical technology and higher resolutions will continue to evolve, rather than arbitrarily stopping before 4K because you don't get it... especially considering PC's are already gaming at 4K, games are marketed with 4K, TV's are now being made exclusively with 4K capabilities, movies are releasing in 4K UHD formats, and even consoles are making tangible strides towards it (a bit prematurely).  It's not a matter of IF it becomes mainstream/standard, it's when.  IMO.

Edited by Dreakon13

So many people asking for backwards compatibility. They're never going to do that, especially not when they've been pushing psnow for a while now. Besides backward compatibility is one of those features everyone asks for, but nobody really uses. One thing i really want for Sony to implement is a refund system. It's an absolutely necessary feature, and i'm amazed they haven't implemented it.

22 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

Just because the transition from 1080p to 4k isn't that big, doesn't mean technological advancement should just stop altogether. Imagine if they stopped at 720p or even 480p just because they thought, "Yeah this is good enough". Besides, we live in a capitalism culture. Companies love to boast about their latest product to try and swoon in potential costumers who do care about having a few more pixels. In a few years 4k will be the standard.

Edited by xZoneHunter

Don't got much specs wise, but there are a few things that are a must for the PS5

- 2 or 3 TB of storage, especially with games these days taking so much space.

- VR bundle set, kind of what the PS4 got lately, but with a newer more effective system

-Maybe some backwards compatibility with PS4 games, but not PS3 or older.

-New controller design? Maybe no touch pad

-4k, 60fps, maybe more?

-Make the console the right size, not too small like the Wii, but not a beast like the original Xbox.

However I fear they will no longer make physical copies of games anymore, its all going to be digital now.

I will love the ability to download and play digital games from all previous consoles and be able to earn their trophies, at least for PS3 & 4.

Also free online play despite the fact that I'll renew my subscription even if they give PS users free online.

One last thing I'll really like is the ability to use PS4 controllers for playing, for other features it's ok to make people buy a new controller.

• 1 month later...

People talking about the Playstation 5 like PC fanboys boast about their computer specs. 

When the Playstation 5 is revealed and we see the launch version of the console on display, THEN I’ll go in depth about it. Until then I’m just fine and happy with my PS3 and PS4 hooked up to my 1080p television.

Midconsoles like the PS4 Pro are barely worth it in my eyes.

The game system outputting in true 4K resolution, not "up-res 4K," but actually 4K. Meaning that LED/LCD TV's will not be able to work with them.

Graphics processor that is used in desktops/servers very well. It basically can run The Witcher 3 or Uncharted 4 without breaking a sweat. 

Actual cloud based gaming and no need for game discs. Microsoft tried to do that with the plans for Xbox One but got so much push back. F*ck that. If you live in a place out in the middle of nowhere, don't plan on buying it. If you buy a game at retail, just give the cashier your PSN ID name after making a purchase, you go home and there it is in your library. The problem though will be idiot cashiers or some 70/80 year old behind the register who doesn't remember/can't hear your PSN ID so XxSmokeSomeBud420xX won't be able to play the newest Call of Duty with his frat.  You can start playing it instantly from the cloud or download it locally to save it. It'll probably completely kill Gamestop, but they deserve it. You walk in there and they push pre-orders and sell crap like glasses, shirts, etc. Why fight the future? I guess partially because frazzled moms still control game purchases. This doesn't mean that the games won't go on sale or won't be cheaper at retail. The only drawback is Sony may go Nintendo on us and never put their first party games on sale due to cloud based/all digital gaming. 

PS4 has better network card than PS3. So probably something capable of 5Ghz internet or can use 802.1ac (if it hasn't already).

2TB hard drive comes standard. 

Functionality that allows for setting up your own server on every game with multiplayer components or multiplayer game. That way, if the official servers ever shut down, you can still be able to play it long after release (like on the PC). The feature has to be a requirement for games with that. 

Since it's cloud based gaming, the controller will look very similar to a Vita and recently a Switch. Controller will have about 10 GB of flash memory built in, so you can store the game up to a point even when offline. You just have to return to the PS5 to stay connected or 'flush' out the memory. You can take it anywhere that has a Wifi connection or load part of the game in the controller's memory

Community created trophy lists that can be downloaded for games and shared through the Share button. 

Be able to search messages!!! If you get your messages blow up on you, you need to be able to sort/search the messages and send them to create message folders, very similar to email. Hey trophy hunting is like an unpaid part time job anyway! May as well, right? 

PS Now membership allows you to play PS3 and PS4 games right away. Cloud based gaming is even better -- just start up your PS Now, load the PS3/PS4 game, take the controller with you, and play on the go when you're at another Wifi location up to a point, return home and finish it up. 

Edited by POEman553

I really don't even want to think about a PS5 just yet. Still have a lot of PS3 and PS4 games to play. One thing of course is the natural progression. Graphics become more life like than ever. I wan them to make it so we can at least transfer our PS4 digital library over and play that on next gen.

On 1/13/2018 at 4:55 PM, Asvinia said:

An even more bloated menu full of shit I can't delete or arrange how I want, more advertising and more social media integration somehow.

All the cancer I hate.

I'm expecting it to still play physical games, otherwise I'm hopping to PC.

Not expecting backwards compatibility either.

I would like trophy progression bars though like XBox has so I don't have to count stuff myself.

My thoughts aren't as in-depth as yours lol

I totally agree with the trophy progression bar, i really don't care about anything else to be quite honest lol. 

Edited by EternalChaos72

I think backwards compatibility with PS3 is important. Cause I don't think that they will support the system much longer. They already anounced that as of march 2019 PS+ won't include PS3 or Vita games. I think that's the first sign and maybe by 2020 or 2021 or so it won't be supported. This is me just assuming, I don't really know but I think it's fair to assume it's a question of when will the support for PS3 stop and not if it will.

1 hour ago, parkerdip said:

I dont feel that the current generation has really kicked off yet. So i dont want to think about the PS5 for a long time yet. 

The current generation is almost over. 

There are games being made for ps5 right now, and I'm going to take a bet Kojimas game will be a ps5 launch title. 

I want.....

The ability to put multiple games in "hibernation", that way I can start immediately right where I was despite how the game saves. 

And believe it or not I want an hdmi input to hookup my ps3/ps4/pstv

Edited by Dav9834

9 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

The current generation is almost over. 

There are games being made for ps5 right now, and I'm going to take a bet Kojimas game will be a ps5 launch title.

You’re jumping a bit too far ahead here.

I mostly see the PS5 to have photorealistic graphics, and I think a PS4 Pro is already good enough. 

We seem to think that bigger is better when that could very well collapse. Quantity over Quality is a big problem especially with today’s AAA games being a prime example of that. 

If the Playstation 5 is going to have a more bloated social media feed, an interface with ‘pointless’ options and an emphasis to get rid of physical, then I’ll likely won’t bother with it at launch. 

• Like 2