A PS3 problem

SUPERVIRAL

Hello guys, I need help with a problem I'm having. So a few months ago my ps3 started acting up. When I turn it on, it turns on for like a minute then it shuts off. There is no display on the screen and when it turns off there is no red or green flash. I've been searched the internet and have found some cases like mine but still can't find a solution. Does anyone know what I could do to fix my ps3.

9 minutes ago, SUPERVIRAL said:

I can't hear the fan blowing so it means my fans broke?

That would be my guess - the PS3 is a bit of a heat-monster - the fan generally runs all the time it’s on. If you don’t hear it then i reckon one of three things is going on:

1. The fan unit is broken and needs replaced.

2. The fan unit is blocked. Mitht be worth opening it up and having a good look.

3. The unit is fine, but the wire connecting the fan unit to the PS3 has detatched - either snapped off the solder or shifted out of alignment so the contact is not working.

1. Will require a professional to fix, as it will need a new fan unit. 

3. is probably best to get a pro to do, unless you are good with a soldering gun.

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That would be my guess - the PS3 is a bit of a heat-monster - the fan generally runs all the time it’s on. If you don’t hear it then i reckon one of three things is going on:

1. The fan unit is broken and needs replaced.

2. The fan unit is blocked. Mitht be worth opening it up and having a good look.

3. The unit is fine, but the wire connecting the fan unit to the PS3 has detatched - either snapped off the solder or shifted out of alignment so the contact is not working.

1. Will require a professional to fix, as it will need a new fan unit. 

3. is probably best to get a pro to do, unless you are good with a soldering gun.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll just leave it alone. Those guys charge a lot to fix these kinds of issues I am assuming.

From my experience, replacing the fan or the power supply is basically disassembly, removing the plug for either, and reassembly.  It isn't that difficult.

The problem is that if you don't have a schematic, a meter, or don't know how to read one, then you are troubleshooting in the dark and spending a bit of money replacing parts.

So that comes down to either a: dropping it off for repair, b: buying a refurb unit or c:buying parts and hoping for the best.

Good luck to you and I hope you get it fixed!