Metal Gear Survive will have microtransactions and always on

ShadowStar83x

I stopped playing the beta in less than 30 minutes. Everything just feels so weird. It really feels like they are trying to make Metal Gear something it's not and frankly, it bothers me.

My MGSV: TPP instincts kicked in pretty much right away only to find myself having to throw pretty much all of it out the window. The melee combat is clunky (As far as I was able to figure out, there is no blocking and dodging. So basically it's swing, back up, swing, back up, rinse and repeat), stealth is pretty much pointless and I was having zero fun the entire time. 

It's unfortunate because I really enjoyed MGSV: TPP.

I personally just don't like the direction they took with what they had. Zombies? Yeah, haven't heard that one before.

Edited by Shinobi

I was trying to keep an open mind about Survive, I think MGSV had the best gameplay of the entire series so I was hoping at the very least that'd make Survive fun to play since it's the same engine. After watching some gameplay in the last few days though, it just looks so boring. As much as I like Metal Gear I'll be giving this one a miss. There isn't a single thing I saw that reminds me of a Metal Gear game either. I think after thirty years fans of the series have expectations for what should be in a Metal Gear, stealth, story, memorable characters and boss fights, long ass cutscenes to name a handful, all that seems to be gone.

I think I'd be fair to say most games will have to evolve with the times to stay relevant like MGSV did with it's open world, this looks like more devolution, in that we're throwing away the original creators stratospheric standards, for what? To spend our time defending characters we don't care about from enemies that were outdated years ago by using a crafting system that's equally outdated. I don't want to jump on the fuck Konami bandwagon, but it's hard not to after watching what they've served up. I'm really disappointed with how Survive turned out.  

On 1/19/2018 at 8:12 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Peace Walker is awesome!

But yeah - it really makes me sad to see what Konami has become. NES era, SNES era, PS1 era, PS2 era - what a solid company, with a varied list of offerings.

Now? Apparently, they thing it's 1980 again, and pachinko machines are the future.

Peace Walker has online trophies. The other Metal Gear games are all single player.

Very shameful. They were one of the best, up there with Nintendo, SEGA and Capcom as recognized developers.

On 2/7/2018 at 5:29 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Was this meant to answer me? All I said was that Peace Walker is awesome!

I’m just someone who doesn’t like online trophies. 

Though I hear for Vic Vos you just have to play the same missions with the same people for a few hours.

On 31.1.2018 at 8:01 AM, Shinobi said:

I personally just don't like the direction they took with what they had. Zombies? Yeah, haven't heard that one before.

The Phantom Pain had parasite zombies. MGS 3 had a hack&slash dream sequence of zombie slaying (the PS2 version that is). Actually MGS4 also had some nanomachine zombies going, iirc. Then there are the wandering mother base soldiers.

In the end, it's a pseudo-zombie spin-off game just like many others series have. They want to use TPP assets in another game and that's really all there is to it. I've been a fan since MGS1, but I don't see anything wrong with this. We weren't promised a new Solid Snake MGS or a remake, Kojima wanted to end Metal Gear ages ago and both main story arcs are over. Also pachinko machines are a thing in Japan and plenty feature a video game or anime/manga, which for some reason confuses western people into thinking that they're getting new games or new seasons/remakes of their favorite series. It's kind of like getting offended over a pinball machine with a TMNT theme.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 4:46 PM, Spaz said:

I’m just someone who doesn’t like online trophies. 

Though I hear for Vic Vos you just have to play the same missions with the same people for a few hours.

You certainly have to play online for Vic Voss. But I self-boosted it, and I don't remember it taking more than 1-2 hours. My memory might be hazy, though.