Why do Sports video games exist?

Fubuki

This is something that has always made me wonder. Why do Sports games exist? One major aspect about video games is that it's something you can't do in real life. Why play basketball on ps4 when I can just go outside and do that? If you like sports games please tell me why do you like it. And while you're at it please tell me why is there a new one every year. There are more sports games than there are iPhones coming out every week.

Because I can't dunk or hit 450 foot home run.

I mean that argument could be made about anything. Why play Street Fighter when I could go punch somebody in the face? Why play shooters when I could join the military? Why play video games at all when there's a world full of superior experiences?

Just now, KingGuy420 said:

I mean that argument could be made about anything. Why play Street Fighter when I could go punch somebody in the face? Why play shooters when I could join the military? Why play video games at all when there's a world full of superior experiences?

1.  because then you would get arrested

2.  because then you could die

3. Like what? 

4 minutes ago, The Titan said:

1.  because then you would get arrested

2.  because then you could die

3. Like what? 

1. There legitimate mma dojo's everywhere where you can learn and fight.

2. You could die playing basketball too. Every time you do anything you risk dying.

3. Sky diving, museums, sight seeing, meeting members of the opposite sex, reading, movies, general living. There's a million things that are more productive and exciting than video games. If that was a serious question, you may care to much about video games lol.

Edited by KingGuy420

4 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

1. There legitimate mma dojo's everywhere where you can learn and fight.

2. You could die playing basketball too. Every time you do anything you risk dying.

3. Sky diving, museums, sight seeing, meeting members of the opposite sex, reading, movies, general living. There's a million things that are more productive and exciting than video games. If that was a serious question, you may care to much about video games lol.

I suppose you can die from basketball. But why is there a new sports game every year? What's different? 

Games for consumers, just like cell phone games. Then you have competitive online like Fifa which is pretty big and there's a new one every year, Just like call of duty and EA wants that money. There is a huge market for sports games even though you might not find allot of fans here. Another major aspect of video games is playing games you're familiar with in life.

Just now, Z1MZUM said:

Games for consumers, just like cell phone games. Then you have competitive online like Fifa which is pretty big and there's a new one every year, Just like call of duty and EA wants that money. There is a huge market for sports games even though you might not find allot of fans here. Another major aspect of video games is playing games you're familiar with in life.

I suppose you're right. Making  money is one of many reasons why there's a new game every year.

Just now, Z1MZUM said:

I play allot of COD online, I'm talking maximum prestige on all of them except WW2. When looking at other player profiles, the majority of them have maybe 2 or 3 trophies and games like Fifa and NBA.

Jeez. I can never do that. Mostly because I don't really like cod that much.

35 minutes ago, The Titan said:

I suppose you can die from basketball. But why is there a new sports game every year? What's different? 

Cause people that like sports games normally play nothing but sports games and after a year they're itching for new game modes, new progression systems, new mechanics. Not to mention updated rosters and all the new players that came in through that years draft.

It's no different than a new CoD, or Battlefield, or Assassins Creed every year. Hell, Bethesda pounds out the same linear shooter 5 times a year and gets praised for it.

Whether you like sports games or not, they're one of the highest grossing genres so somebody out there is loving them lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Cause people that like sports games normally play nothing but sports games and after a year they're itching for new game modes, new progression systems, new mechanics. Not to mention updated rosters and all the new players that came in through that years draft.

It's no different than a new CoD, or Battlefield, or Assassins Creed every year. Hell, Bethesda pounds out the same linear shooter 5 times a year and gets praised for it.

Whether you like sports games or not, they're one of the highest grossing genres so somebody out there is loving them lol.

everyone has the right to like whatever they want just like how I have the right to like whatever I want.  I don't hate sports games I just don't like them.

2 minutes ago, The Titan said:

everyone has the right to like whatever they want just like how I have the right to like whatever I want.  I don't hate sports games I just don't like them.

There's a pretty big difference between disliking something and thinking it shouldn't exist because you dislike it.

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

Exactly, I mean, why play The Sims when I could just go out and have a life? Why play Cities: Skylines when I could go out and make my own city?.

Same thing for sports games, I'm not great at sports in general, I mean, I would not be able to go and get into a wrestling ring and pull off amazing moves like a chokeslam, or jump off a turnbuckle onto my downed opponent.  I play sports games to make it seem like I'm good at sports.

Except soccer or rugby games, I don't even know how those work except for getting the ball to a goal.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Titan said:

This is something that has always made me wonder. Why do Sports games exist? One major aspect about video games is that it's something you can't do in real life. Why play basketball on ps4 when I can just go outside and do that? If you like sports games please tell me why do you like it. And while you're at it please tell me why is there a new one every year. There are more sports games than there are iPhones coming out every week.

Your premise is faulty.

Videogames aren’t always about doing something you can’t do in real life. Sometimes they are about transplanting the feelings of a situation you wouldn’t be able to encounter in real life - like competing in the top echelons of a particular field.

Sure, any able-bodied person could go outside and play a game of football, but they can’t all win the world cup.

To put it another way - why did you play Gran Turismo when you could have just driven around in your car...?

Wasn’t it to capture a little of the experience of racing elite cars in a consequence-free environment?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Your premise is faulty.

Videogames aren’t always about doing something you can’t do in real life. Sometimes they are about transplanting the feelings of a situation you wouldn’t be able to encounter in real life - like competing in the top echelons of a particular field.

Sure, any able-bodied person could go outside and play a game of football, but they can’t all win the world cup.

To put it another way - why did you play Gran Turismo when you could have just driven around in your car...?

Wasn’t it to capture a little of the experience of racing elite cars in a consequence-free environment?

I play Gran Turismio Sport because I want to find the best driving simulator I can find. Project Cars didn't feel right. GTS does. But yah it is a fun game. 

26 minutes ago, The Titan said:

I play Gran Turismio Sport because I want to find the best driving simulator I can find. Project Cars didn't feel right. GTS does. But yah it is a fun game. 

Right - but there’s certainly similarities between GT and sports games - or, to be more specific, the relationship between driving in real life and playing GT is similar to the relationship between playing football in real life and playing FIFA. (I would imagine - I don’t have the inclination to do either!)

I was under the impression that "Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash" is a sports game. Then there are things like Inazuma Eleven, which is "super sports". There was also that old NES game packed with Super Mario/Duck Hunt with River City Ransom type characters, where you could make super kicks, KO players and choose things like ice fields to play in. The genre has a lot of potential beyond the yearly releases.

I personally don't like sport games in general. My soccer exceptions were Fifa Street 2, mainly because of the different gameplay elements and its concept, power shots, tricks and stuff like that. Inazuma Eleven is also an exception because I watched the whole series and its games include RPG elements with leveling up systems, powers up, special techniques and so on. Even though I like wrestling, I only played some WWE games back when I had a PS2. 

Plus, most of the people that I know and play sports games rarely play other type of game. They don't have a vast backlog and are not into other kind of games. They are just sports addicts, that's all.

I loved Kick Off on the Amiga and the fake future sports games of the 80/90's. And the burnount games up until paradise which are kind of sports games. Those maddens, Fifas, nba's and forth don't grab me how ever I played plenty of Japanese football/soccer games and even horse racing on the nes/snes and Saturn, I even played a bus sim on DC (Tokyo Bus) and train simulator (Densha De Go) on sega saturn. I get that for the most part there is a huge gap with sports only players and other genres though I've been to countries with overpriced consoles that sell nothing but sports and racing games.

Edited by Z1MZUM