Removing cheaters from the leaderboards

hcmode

People already are removed if “hacking” detection occurs after one single time.  They’re removed from PSNP’s database after that.

As far as save game usage, the 3 strikes are accounted for system / human errors etc.

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 3

To add onto the above, there are a few games from early trophy days in which save files were not tied to the account and in which trophy guides even gave out the save files to get unobtainable trophies. Times have changed, of course, but it's not fair to punish those people by being permanently off the site for something that was completely okay years ago.

CFW is one strike and you get removed. It's save file use and modding that gives the three strikes. Before it used to be more strikes.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

To add onto the above, there are a few games from early trophy days in which save files were not tied to the account and in which trophy guides even gave out the save files to get unobtainable trophies. Times have changed, of course, but it's not fair to punish those people by being permanently off the site for something that was completely okay years ago.

CFW is one strike and you get removed. It's save file use and modding that gives the three strikes. Before it used to be more strikes.

That's why there is three games, for games like SOCOM and/or FUEL.

6 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

How does this website even know if someone has done anything all things related to hacking etc? I know people can report but I don't see how the website can know by itself. 

The reports are manually checked by the trophy hack removing team (I think they are only 2, but forgot who they are..).

Also, there's an automatic flagging system based on the total plat time (there are white listed games if they can be legitly plat in a short amount of time). I don't remember what the minimum plat time is for the auto-flag system, but I think it's 6 hours or something. Also, this ones are completely unsupervised, because it's guarantee that the trophies were hacked if the plat was gotten that fast.

I know a player who paid to unlock unachievable trophies and I'm sure there are other players who did that...this guy hid the game and he's still on the global/national leaderboard. I don't understand why he'd need 2 more flags to be removed, what he did is unacceptable. He can't get away so easily...

17 minutes ago, Wisedrive said:

I know a player who paid to unlock unachievable trophies and I'm sure there are other players who did that...this guy hid the game and he's still on the global/national leaderboard. I don't understand why he'd need 2 more flags to be removed, what he did is unacceptable. He can't get away so easily...

If the game is hidden then it doesn’t count for the leaderboards. Thus that player doesn’t hold an advantage over other players and the legitimacy of the leaderboards isn’t damaged.

I don’t see the problem.

• Like 1

Maybe i have been living under a rock and have just seen the light of day in regards to hacking due to this thread, i obviously understand the ruling 3 strikes your out and for me it makes sense. I didn't even realise you could hack your way to a platinum trophy this is cheating the leader boards but ultimately are these cheaters not just cheating themselves. I try and gain Platinum trophies for my own personal goal and sense of achievement why hack in the first place do people care that much about the leader boards and the amount of platinum trophies compared to another? (I look at the leader boards a lot don't get me wrong but i am not fussed too much about where i sit i suppose i am aware i am never going to be number 1 maybe that is why ?) I find the whole concept rather odd, but lets be fair a hack is not really the only way you can achieve a trophy without doing it yourself handing your controller to another player is another way (although i would not argue for or against this as cheating i guess its a personal opinion thing again i would not not it but understand why some do).

I guess my real point is where do you draw the line? I do agree that hacking should be policed though. 

• Like 1

If there's good reason to believe you've been editing trophy timestamps etc, but there's not solid evidence for more than a game or two, Sly might just remove you from the site himself. I only care to ask him to do this if I think you've done this big time, and you're high up on the leaderboards etc.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

I don't care much about my position on the leaderboards either (I got my latest plat in 2016) but seeing a player, who payed to hack trophies, on the leaderboards pisses me off. It doesn't matter whether the hidden/hacked game doesn't count, a cheater should never be allowed to be on the leaderboards, otherwise it doesn't make sense to have them. #hackersdown

There is a website where game saves are shared and where players can thank the original poster for them. Looking up the trophy cards of those thankful usernames on this website, then seeing how they platted said game, it's a fun excercise.

Of course they might have done it legit in the end. Or it was just a one time thing for a very hard game. Or someone else has their username and it's all a coincidence.

But nevertheless I can guarantee you that you will forever take any trophy card on this website with more than just a pinch of salt.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

There is a website where game saves are shared and where players can thank the original poster for them. Looking up the trophy cards of those thankful usernames on this website, then seeing how they platted said game, it's a fun excercise.

Of course they might have done it legit in the end. Or it was just a one time thing for a very hard game. Or someone else has their username and it's all a coincidence.

But nevertheless I can guarantee you that you will forever take any trophy card on this website with more than just a pinch of salt.

This really baffles me, does this not take the whole point of gaming away when as you say a game save has potentially been used so all the user has done is put the game in the system i find it odd i really do, i mean that person has potentially purchased a game spent cash on it but never actually played it. (i can imagine you have had a fun exercise looking into this though to see who may or may not have gained a platinum that they may not have actually played). 

• Like 2

I'm only guessing, but I think many of those people enjoy their games up to the point where they can not beat a certain part, or not easily beat it perhaps. If you then care about completing it too much, you might turn to downloadable game saves at some point.

You are right that it does take most of the point of trophy hunting away, but I don't think they are not having fun with the games at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DARKB1KE said:

Have you ever used Gameshark or Gamegenie before?  Cheat codes in a videogame?  Same thing essentially, and no, doesn't take the fun away.  Everyone enjoys games in their own way, I don't think it's right to demonize or witchhunt people because they play different or enjoy different things.  Just like some people prefer to play on ultra hardcore difficulty and others prefer easy as possible apples to oranges. 

How do you enjoy a game if you aren't willing to play through it and use a save for trophies?

Just curious on that.

• Like 3

I admit that I have cheated my way into the leaderboards but I still sometimes earn trophies just for fun. I've earned some hard PS3 and PS4 plats legit and some I didn't and when I get stuck at 99% without the plat, I have someone help earn it for me because I felt that I deserved it just for my efforts. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaltyCatRemi said:

How do you enjoy a game if you aren't willing to play through it and use a save for trophies?

Just curious on that.

Well doing straight to 100% obviously wouldn't be enjoyable, I'm talking more like finishing those ones you can't do, or pesky collectibles (grrrrr, the bane of all gaming).  It would defeat the purpose if you made yourself level 100 on PSN without playing the games.  :P  Definitely keep in mind that psnprofiles has its own leaderboard and rules here though so I'm not supporting anything here or telling people how to play.  Just keep in mind the consequences and the repurcussions if choosing to do so. 

13 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

No matter whether it's one hack or three, intentional or not, people will get away with hacking. Yes it sucks but once you accept that fundamental truth you will realize the leaderboards are bullshit anyway. Especially with people stacking 30 min Platinums.  .  .

Trophies are a bit of a joke too when you realize that there will always be someone with more time on their hands than 'you' to get trophies, so they will always be a higher level.  It's an endless rat race I choose to have no part of.  Great that some might enjoy it, all the power to them if they find that fun.  

Edited by DARKB1KE
  • Like 2

Trophies are a meta game. Some people probably enjoy finding ways to get them that aren't considered legit by this website. I can totally understand that, even if I don't agree with it. On the other hand, I've played games passed the point I really wanted to just to earn 100%, boosted certain trophies, etc. and people could rightly question that. To each their own, just don't try to pass off your trophies as legit if they're not.

• Like 2