Are you Ready Player One?

What are we looking for? A  physical copy of the magazine this ad is from? The game itself? Do we have to get a specific trophy tied to this game? Why should anyone care? Why is this here instead of in the forum games section?

Not really an event or contest if there's no explanation as to what's going on.

• Like 2

It's tied in somehow to the Book and upcoming movie release of Ernest Cline's Ready Player One...and from what I'm seeing in the trailer, it looks like all the cool retro 80s stuff will be watered down and included only as an afterthought, rather than it being the main focus of the story, so they can put more action into the flick. 1/2 the stuff in the trailer wasn't in the book...once again Hollywood RUINS another potential awesome property.

On 1/21/2018 at 4:18 PM, Psy-Tychist said:

il_570xN.1319547437_rmbe.jpg

Countdown

After reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (which was brought about by watching the trailer of the film) I can say that it struck all the right chords with me. The geeky self references, the 80's pop culture and gaming influences (even though I know very little about the films/music of the time) and the awkward way that Wade gets through the challenges put before him made this a page turner I delved into far too heavily. True to this, my afterthought was 'What if I made a challenge like this too?'.

So I Am.

This challenge will begin when Ready Player One hits cinemas (30th March 2018) and the first clue will be revealed. Hence the countdown.

There will be a prize for the winner, I'm just considering if it should be a cash prize (like the book) or my entire physical games collection of PS3/PS4 games (also in the book). 

Maybe a poll will help.

Here are some caveats for those who may want to compete and some mild hints:

1. There may be the need to purchase/rent/borrow games as this is a personal challenge, the same as the book.

2. There will be no hints given, the riddles will be cryptic but not impossible.

3. All games relating to the riddles are on PlayStation systems.

4. For those who have never read the book, to solve each 'Key' requires the riddle to understand which game it relates to and then the Challenge related to the game to be completed.

Reserved for further use.

This looks like a great contest. Nice idea! I'm a big fan of the books and I might give this a go. I'm concerned about needing consoles I dont have but we will see. I'm probably going to attempt it.

18 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

This looks like a great contest. Nice idea! I'm a big fan of the books and I might give this a go. I'm concerned about needing consoles I dont have but we will see. I'm probably going to attempt it.

All the games are Playstation related, so you should be fine.

Let me know if there is anything I can add here to help clarify details of the event.

This Contest sounds very interesting and kind of mysterious. As I know me, my chances are quite small to solve anything but I hope it will be fun ?

And the book sounds pretty nice. I like such stuff and I was born in the 80s. Since I just finished a book I may give it a try.

• 2 months later...

Probably will not take part because (1) I might have to buy games I don't care about and (2) it's all for a game card that I won't win because others will enjoy the games that I might have to slog through and I'll put it off and put it off until I lose and (3) I already have plans involving games more interesting to me. ;)

Still, good luck to those who take part. I don't really care about the movie or book this is based off of. And for the record, I have seen the trailer and didn't like it much, and I've lived through the 80s and experienced all of the culture! :(

On 31/03/2018 at 3:15 PM, CJ_Mystery said:

Probably will not take part because (1) I might have to buy games I don't care about and (2) it's all for a game card that I won't win because others will enjoy the games that I might have to slog through and I'll put it off and put it off until I lose and (3) I already have plans involving games more interesting to me. ;)

Still, good luck to those who take part. I don't really care about the movie or book this is based off of. And for the record, I have seen the trailer and didn't like it much, and I've lived through the 80s and experienced all of the culture! :(

You never know until you try.

@Zolkovo there are no clues, no limits on guessing and you can guess the same as other people.

When a good number of people have guessed the same thing and it becomes apparent, I will add it to the OP so people can try complete the challenge and onto the next clue.

I only mentioned spamming so people don't randomly put game after game into the thread making it hard to discern who got the right answer.

@GarciaFever you can guess that, but i will not be saying here if it is correct.