I'm New to Assassin's Creed

TheGavGav7

I'm really excited to play - it should be okay to jump into this without prior knowledge of the series, right? I mean, I had Assassin's Creed 3 on the PS3 years ago but didn't really touch it, I maybe played the first 10 minutes but can't remember anything past the theatre (I think it was the 3rd one anyway). Not that I didn't enjoy it, I was just a really casual player back then. But Origins looks awesome, so I bought the game while it was on sale.

Any advice for a totally new AC player jumping into the series with Origins?

• Like 1

Actually this could provide you with a unique opportunity. I recently started a new account (however I’ve played every single game before) and decided I’ll play all of the Assassin’s Creed games in chronological order based on their time that they are set, which should be awesome. I’d recommend you did the same! :D 

Here’ a link if your looking for guidelines, it even includes chronicles and the book and films for anyone looking to learn about some of the character’s pasts:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.techtimes.com/amp/articles/123237/20160111/the-complete-assassins-creed-chronology-for-now.htm

• Like 2

It doesn't seem to have any relation to the other AC games in regards to the plot from what I've played, so it's fine to start here. It's an awful representation of the AC franchise though, it's barely recognizable as an AC game in regards to gameplay at all, should've been a new IP.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, demonoutcast said:

Assassin's Creed 3...man that game had a rocky launch and minefield of patches. Play the other games, don't bother with 3.

But 3 is very important to the plot, it concludes the first story arc...

44 minutes ago, Waddlingdan said:

Actually this could provide you with a unique opportunity. I recently started a new account (however I’ve played every single game before) and decided I’ll play all of the Assassin’s Creed games in chronological order based on their time that they are set, which should be awesome. I’d recommend you did the same! :D 

Here’ a link if your looking for guidelines, it even includes chronicles and the book and films for anyone looking to learn about some of the character’s pasts:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.techtimes.com/amp/articles/123237/20160111/the-complete-assassins-creed-chronology-for-now.htm

Why would you play IV before III? It spoils III

• Like 1

I too didn't play the series despite having most of them o.o it never occured to me that the games have some connections with each others...but I'm interested in doing a marathon for this series whenever possible so playing it chronologically would be the best choice I think ^.^  

• Like 2

Theres little bits here and there that mention what happens in past games, but you wouldn't know unless told and know exactly what to look for especially being completely new to the series. 

You'll be fine, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it like so many others have.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, madbuk said:

But 3 is very important to the plot, it concludes the first story arc...

I wasn't referring to the story, but like Crispy suggested..

1 hour ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)(Optional - read the wiki)

Edited by demonoutcast

13 hours ago, Waddlingdan said:

Awesome, thanks for this! Chronological order sounds pretty fun actually, should I love Origins, I'm sure I'll want to play through more AC games.

13 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I think that you could probably do okay starting with Assassin's Creed Origins, as far as the historical gameplay goes. It's the earliest depiction of the Assassin's and pretty much how they get founded.

That being said, the story telling in AC games as a whole aren't that linear and even as someone who played most of them at one point or another - it can be hard to follow. AC games pretty much run on two main story threads: The present/near future time period and the old history time periods which you will be spending most of your game time in.

These would be the high-notes for the series for me (in order)

This is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing that, after reading through, I'm really excited to play the Ezio Collection, it sounds great (and 3 Platinums wouldn't be so bad). Quite a few games to get into but that's even better, I love the historical time periods and getting to explore them. London, I live up North, but I visit London regularly, so Syndicate (though low on your list) also doesn't sound too bad. Thanks again, I appreciate this!

As others have said, you can very well play Origins without playing the rest.

The highlights from the series for me are II/Brotherhood (though II really isn't aging well in my eyes), Black Flag, and Origins.

On 22/01/2018 at 10:08 AM, madbuk said:

It's an awful representation of the AC franchise though, it's barely recognizable as an AC game in regards to gameplay at all, should've been a new IP.

People complain that Unity and Syndicate are too much like the old games, people complain that Black Flag and Origins change too much to the formula.

Some creators get flack whatever they do.

"Boo, The Force Awakens is too much like A New Hope!" - "Boo, The Last Jedi changes too much to what I think Star Wars is about!"

Personally I think the gameplay in this case is secondary to the story being told, and I always thought the AC games could do with some better gameplay. Except Black Flag, in terms of gameplay that one was brilliant (sole exception for the eavesdropping missions, which they fortunately stopped doing after Black Flag).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I've been playing Origins for the past week or so and I am loving it. There is sooooo much exploration but I love the environments so it's really great to try and do everything, rather than it being tedious. I've done about 70 side quests and I've done the majority of the main quests (according to trophies, I only have 3 main quests left to do). I'm at Level 33 (so hopefully that's a decent level before tackling the final stages of the main quests). I've bought the season pass now so I look forward to playing the DLCs once I've completed the main campaign. Thanks for all the recommendations everyone, I'm definitely checking out other AC games now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.01.2018 at 11:06 AM, Waddlingdan said:

I agree with this. You have no disadvantage but a chance to experience the serie by another way.

• Like 1