A well done 3D platformer

Empovyle

Jak and Ratchet fans, if you're looking for a new platformer experience, you've come to the right place. Skylar and Plux is a 3D platformer inspired by those titular platformer series, with collectathon, action, adventure, and platforming aspects all in one.

There's hardly any activity on this site for this game! So, I thought I would spread the word and maybe show some more people what a fun game this is. Also, it's an easy and fast 100% with a new trophy guide published today written by yours truly.

• Like 1

Because it's mediocre, and hardly "well done". At least to me, this game was a let down. Super glitchy too, and the PSN listing, the banner [still don't see how it relates to the game at all] and the load screen all made it look like the game was incomplete. Like they were placeholders and they just said "fuck it" and shipped it that way.

A Hat in Time is a well done 3D Platformer. This is worth playing for like $3 or so, but it's hardly that great. edit; though I do want another one, I think if they polished it and worked on their wonky ass animation then it could be something special.

3 minutes ago, StoRmAreA said:

does it have co op maybe?

nope

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elvick_ said:

Because it's mediocre, and hardly "well done". At least to me, this game was a let down. Super glitchy too, and the PSN listing, the banner [still don't see how it relates to the game at all] and the load screen all made it look like the game was incomplete. Like they were placeholders and they just said "fuck it" and shipped it that way.

The only bit of the game I wasn't fond of was the storytelling and cutscenes. The characters were a bit immature but I didn't have high expectations for them anyways, since most 3D platformer characters aren't too developed anyways, like in Spyro and Crash.

But honestly the 3D platformer market is extremely dry these days, so I really can't complain that Right Nice delivered a short, fun platformer as their very first game. It blended the Jak and Ratchet gameplay well in my opinion, with the character control of Jak and the "bolts" and gadgets of Ratchet.

Also, what glitches are you referring to? I don't remember encountering many in my playthrough, except maybe the occasional wall-climb that didn't seem like it should be possible. But those specific glitches are fun for the speedrunning community and are reminiscent of the double jump / out-of-bounds strategies in the Spyro trilogy, they don't get in the way of normal gameplay at all.

18 minutes ago, Empovyle said:

The only bit of the game I wasn't fond of was the storytelling and cutscenes. The characters were a bit immature but I didn't have high expectations for them anyways, since most 3D platformer characters aren't too developed anyways, like in Spyro and Crash.

But honestly the 3D platformer market is extremely dry these days, so I really can't complain that Right Nice delivered a short, fun platformer as their very first game. It blended the Jak and Ratchet gameplay well in my opinion, with the character control of Jak and the "bolts" and gadgets of Ratchet.

Also, what glitches are you referring to? I don't remember encountering many in my playthrough, except maybe the occasional wall-climb that didn't seem like it should be possible. But those specific glitches are fun for the speedrunning community and are reminiscent of the double jump / out-of-bounds strategies in the Spyro trilogy, they don't get in the way of normal gameplay at all.

Audio glitches, getting stuck in  the last area in a revisit due to the beams not actually unlocking the doors [I'm sure it's been patched by now, I know they talked about the patch on twitter] among other problems. I'd be even higher on the speed list if not for the glitch in that last area. And I wasn't even trying.

Edited by Elvick_

By watching the trailer alone I get the feeling that most of the game is based on marketplace's third-party blueprints.

Might not be the case but everything from the camera to character movement seems a bit...well...too simple/normal?

But I have to agree with @Elvick_...I mean I've seen some bad image choices for trophy lists but this is straight up laziness.

Maybe worth a pickup if the game is on sale for ~3$.

12 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:
Audio glitches, getting stuck in  the last area in a revisit due to the beams not actually unlocking the doors [I'm sure it's been patched by now, I know they talked about the patch on twitter] among other problems. I'd be even higher on the speed list if not for the glitch in that last area. And I wasn't even trying.

10 minutes ago, Skadoki said:

By watching the trailer alone I get the feeling that most of the game is based on marketplace's third-party blueprints.

Might not be the case but everything from the camera to character movement seems a bit...well...too simple/normal?

But I have to agree with @Elvick_...I mean I've seen some bad image choices for trophy lists but this is straight up laziness.

Maybe worth a pickup if the game is on sale for ~3$.

Well, the game definitely does have its flaws, I'll give you that much, and I can see why you both believe the game feels rushed. I was lucky enough to have picked it up for the whopping $3 you both are agreeing to, during the holiday sale. I'm sure it'll go on sale more than once, too, or maybe even for free on PlayStation Plus. For that price I felt it was a perfect experience for starving platformer fans like myself.

The standard price for this game is $15, right? I'm not sure if that's fair for how long the game is (if anyone's wondering, its basically only 3 levels/areas long. $5 per section!).

1 minute ago, Empovyle said:

Well, the game definitely does have its flaws, I'll give you that much, and I can see why you both believe the game feels rushed. I was lucky enough to have picked it up for the whopping $3 you both are agreeing to, during the holiday sale. I'm sure it'll go on sale more than once, too, or maybe even for free on PlayStation Plus. For that price I felt it was a perfect experience for starving platformer fans like myself.

The standard price for this game is $15, right? I'm not sure if that's fair for how long the game is (if anyone's wondering, its basically only 3 levels/areas long. $5 per section!).

I bought it at launch so... yeah.

• Like 1