Most Painful Trophy ever earned

CJ_Mystery

I am not sure if this is the best forum to post this, but I decided to start a thread after dreading having to platinum Oceanhorn again. I don't hate the game but one certain trophy involving the piscine life made me cringe. Fish Sticks is probably my most hated experience in trophy hunting because of the Ghost Fish and Botfish and their gimmicks. I kept losing them because I'd get killed by the Botfish or the Ghost Fish would psyche me out and snap my line. ?

So, this thread is for anyone who is interested in giving their horror stories of the most painful trophy they had to earn. It can be either a very difficult one(like my Fish Sticks) or one you didn't want to earn because it made you question your existence(I'm sure I will never touch the South Park games because, well, I am against South Park because it's so X-rated with its humor and the games are just as terrible, but I am not bashing the game, I'm just not a fan of offensive humor :(). So open your heart and share the painful memories with us all. ;)

• Like 4

Starwhal. I was in such a bad shape mentally that time that allied with the boringness of the grind put me in altered state of mind that let me complete the platinum and contemplate suicide at the same time in a period of two days give or take. I passed out drunk 2 times in that period. Fun times.

Beside this, I always cringe when I have to duct tape a controller and/or leave my console open to grind something, like the 24h race in Project Cars and Gram Turismo 5, running distance in Farming Simulator 15 and Gran Turismo 6, or the dreaded Slot Machine in FF XIII-2. 

• Like 3

I already got disillusioned with trophy/achievement hunting by the time I jumped to PlayStation, so I don't have any huge horror stories, I often can't be bothered by going for a platinum even if it LOOKS like it's going to be boring.

Fuck that speedrun trophy of Gone Home though. I didn't even like the game, but since all trophies should be obtainable with a guide in half an hour or so I figured I'd go for the 100%. That speedrun trophy was horrible - I timed myself and got in under a minute loads of times but the game just would not register it. The run on which I got my trophy wasn't even my fastest run. Must've tried at least a dozen times, possibly two dozen (I purged the event from my memory).

Also @CJ_Mystery: I like South Park a lot and thought the games were hilarious :) to each their own.

18 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

I can't even begin to describe how painful it was getting the online trophies for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

The game has trophies like Download Complete, which involves reaching level 50 on Multiplayer. You either have to grind for 45 hours on a repetitive and by now mostly dead Multiplayer or coordinate with 5 people to level up faster - which can be a pain in and of itself, considering the servers kick you off for times on end for no reason and some players are sometimes unable to join your session - also for no reason. Even if you do manage to get everyone together, some people are either idiots, assholes or just leave the session too fast.

Then, you also have trophies like Abstergo Employee of the Month, which requires you to gain every single Multiplayer bonus at least once. Most of them are okay, but some require 3 to 4 people and extreme coordination. Took me 3,5 hours just to get the Extreme Variety bonus, which requires you to get 15 different bonuses within a single session (typically just 8 minutes long).

Can't even begin to tell you how relieved I was to finally get all the online trophies before the servers went down.

YAY, ASSASSIN'S CREED BROTHERHOOD ON PS4 WITHOUT ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!

1 minute ago, Simple Rick said:

YAY, ASSASSIN'S CREED BROTHERHOOD ON PS4 WITHOUT ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!

THE REMASTERED VERSION DOESN'T HAVE MULTIPLAYER?!?

Meaning I could have played the game and NOT have had to go through that online hell?!?

Goddangit.

To be fair, I purchased the game long before the remaster even got announced, so...

But still.

So many problems in trophy hunting would be solved by people just getting rid of online trophies, especially on the PS4, where you have to pay extra to get them.

Doomfist cratered trophy or Zenyatta Rapid Discord on Overwatch!

Cratered you have to hit 6 enemies at once with one move, but everyone runs away/spreads out so you can't hit them.

Only got it thanks to a boosting session.

Rapid Discord is to get 4 kills or assists in 6 seconds! An absolute bull, glitched trophy! Took me over 20 hours on this character before I got it.

I Dont have it unlocked on this account yet (I do on another -_-) 
The 3 sorry they are kinda all the same thing I know breaking the rules sorry

The 3 collectibles from the robo revolution DLC borderlands

3- 3 hour sessions farming minac still no 3 trophies. That's 9 combined hours put into actively farming a giant annoying robot seriously Claptrap doesn't shut up so mute the tv and play in silence

Edited by mackenzie129

3 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

THE REMASTERED VERSION DOESN'T HAVE MULTIPLAYER?!?

Meaning I could have played the game and NOT have had to go through that online hell?!?

Goddangit.

To be fair, I purchased the game long before the remaster even got announced, so...

But still.

So many problems in trophy hunting would be solved by people just getting rid of online trophies, especially on the PS4, where you have to pay extra to get them.

I've played all AC games on X360, then again on PS3/PS4. I've played the Ezio games three times now, but Brotherhood/Revelations I will only complete on PS4.

I don't care for online trophies, almost always I just ignore that part of the list, though there is a much lower chance I'll 100% the single player portion of a game if there's also multiplayer trophies.

I have PS+ but just for the IGC games (and occasional extra sale bonus), I really almost never play online games.

• Like 2

18Sad766f.png40-bronze.png

Final Fantasy X HD 

Chocobo Rider
Win a race with a catcher chocobo with a total time of 0:0:0

Date achieved 13/04/2017

This mini game has the most broken controls i have ever encountered you literally wrestle against the Dualshock or the Vita (i was attempting the trophy on all three formats) like you tell the damn bird to go one way it goes the other balls and seagulls literally flying in your face and slowing you down oh my god hours and hours of attempting this shitty trophy and it was the last one i needed for poppin the plat

This defiantly is the worst at #1

Honourable mentions 

40Sb9b7c8.png

Date Achieved 31/10/2016

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames - Nothin' But a Good Time  (Destroy 200 objects in Co-Op) 

Since this game is so glitchy and mostly broken the online portion was just frustrating this popped for me after around 320 objects destroyed

29S01fa11.png

Date Achieved 18/01/2016

Destiny - Flawless Raider (Complete a Raid without anyone in your fireteam dying)

this basically has to be done in one sitting ideally will be easier with players who know the raid inside out and are experienced tried doing this with trophy hunters and failed a lot, did this with my clan a few spent about 10 hours on a Monday just doing it until the victory cheers roared down the mic of everyone screaming when Crota finally fell the amount of people jumping off the map and killing themselves after the trophy popped was hilarious one of my favourite moments as a gamer. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Simple Rick said:

I don't care for online trophies, almost always I just ignore that part of the list, though there is a much lower chance I'll 100% the single player portion of a game if there's also multiplayer trophies.

I have PS+ but just for the IGC games (and occasional extra sale bonus), I really almost never play online games.

I play just the bare minimum to unlock the trophies. I hate it, but I really like those shiny Platinum trophies. xD

Having to pay to be able to unlock them, though... that's where I draw the line. I will get all online trophies for my PS3 games (as far as I'm able to, anyway), but starting with my PS4 games, I'm going to adopt your stance and just ignore them. I like to get all trophies, but I don't like it that much. As long as I get all the offline trophies (which is the part of the game I enjoy anyway), I can call myself satisfied.

Playstation Plus never really enticed me all that much, to be honest. As I've already said, I hate online multiplayer and I also have absolutely no interest in digital games, no matter how free they may be. I'd rather have actual possession of my games than a glorified rental. The only thing that might possibly entice me are cloud saves, but since I can also just make an offline backup, I don't really care all that much.

19 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

40Sb9b7c8.png

Date Achieved 31/10/2016

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames - Nothin' But a Good Time  (Destroy 200 objects in Co-Op) 

Since this game is so glitchy and mostly broken the online portion was just frustrating this popped for me after around 320 objects destroyed

I remember this one, still haven't platted it but the multiplayer was an absolute horror. The 20 airstrikes especially was terrible. I remember that i had to do at least 100 before it popped, even more for my co-op partner. We were lucky because it popped on the day we both decided that it would be our last try for this trophy, and then it just randomly popped. Horrible glitches in this game. If i ever go back i'm dreading the capture all value targets trophy. I read that that one is horrible as well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

18Sad766f.png40-bronze.png

Final Fantasy X HD 

Chocobo Rider
Win a race with a catcher chocobo with a total time of 0:0:0

Date achieved 13/04/2017

This mini game has the most broken controls i have ever encountered you literally wrestle against the Dualshock or the Vita (i was attempting the trophy on all three formats) like you tell the damn bird to go one way it goes the other balls and seagulls literally flying in your face and slowing you down oh my god hours and hours of attempting this shitty trophy and it was the last one i needed for poppin the plat

This defiantly is the worst at #1

I was fortunate enough to do this first try back on the PS2. But it and the lightning dodging are why I haven't picked up the HD version of FFX.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lars said:

I remember this one, still haven't platted it but the multiplayer was an absolute horror. The 20 airstrikes especially was terrible. I remember that i had to do at least 100 before it popped, even more for my co-op partner. We were lucky because it popped on the day we both decided that it would be our last try for this trophy, and then it just randomly popped. Horrible glitches in this game. If i ever go back i'm dreading the capture all value targets trophy. I read that that one is horrible as well.

Omg don't the HVT all alive trophy is such BS you need to manually save everytime before and make sure nothing goes wrong i had to restart that several times because of something stupid like a helicopter killed the HVT or they randomly drowned or somebody shot him gheez a ballache of a trophy that one too! 

59 minutes ago, cckerberos said:

I was fortunate enough to do this first try back on the PS2. But it and the lightning dodging are why I haven't picked up the HD version of FFX.

The lightning dodges i found were pretty easy took me a few failed attempts and the glitch exploit of standing where basically Dark Ixion is originally is summoned  is the easiest time it for every 4 seconds then hit X to jump most infuriating part i got to 175 and had to restart but got there in the end after about a day of trying. Chocobo is defiantly worse since you more or less have little to no control and your fighting against the pad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrdemr said:

I can't even begin to describe how painful it was getting the online trophies for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

The game has trophies like Download Complete, which involves reaching level 50 on Multiplayer. You either have to grind for 45 hours on a repetitive and by now mostly dead Multiplayer or coordinate with 5 people to level up faster - which can be a pain in and of itself, considering the servers kick you off for times on end for no reason and some players are sometimes unable to join your session - also for no reason. Even if you do manage to get everyone together, some people are either idiots, assholes or just leave the session too fast.

Then, you also have trophies like Abstergo Employee of the Month, which requires you to gain every single Multiplayer bonus at least once. Most of them are okay, but some require 3 to 4 people and extreme coordination. Took me 3,5 hours just to get the Extreme Variety bonus, which requires you to get 15 different bonuses within a single session (typically just 8 minutes long).

Can't even begin to tell you how relieved I was to finally get all the online trophies before the servers went down.

Brotherhood is at least in the discussion for me, if not the winner. I'd say Role Model was the worst one for me. I was lucky enough to find someone that was great with boosting, but I still failed the first two times trying to get it. On the third attempt, I needed one more bonus and went for an air assassination with just a few seconds left, and somehow missed. Thankfully I reacted quickly and thought to try a poison kill, which earned me the trophy. I'll always wonder if I would have ever earned it if I hadn't gotten it then.

Silent Hill: Book of Memories is another one, because of the same reason as Brotherhood; online trophies. It being a Vita game that didn't seem to sell very well meant it was going to be difficult to accomplish. Light Heal Us requires four people, so that's the worst one. The first group I managed to find ended up with the first person leaving as soon as he earned his trophies, leaving the rest of us stranded. Thankfully I was able to get it eventually though.

For an offline trophy, I'd probably go with The Hikikomori from Cross Edge. That requires getting basically everything in the game, and it takes much too long, as the trophy description even states. Although I earned that trophy nearly eight years ago, I can still somewhat feel it...

Plating Littlebigplanet Vita... so many online trophies... especially how some levels had 2-player only bubbles to collect (just... why? I get you want to emphasize the multiplayer aspect but this isn't the right way). Otherwise some of the arcade games were pretty annoying... not to mention the "24 active hours in Create Mode", active meaning you can't just leave it on and pushing down a button/joystick (but having something touch the screen to "move" the cursor works, I ended up just keeping it screen-down in my lap for hours xD)

Edited by Zanreo

Resistance 2:

Killing Machine
Score 10,000 kills in ranked matches in online Competitive mode.

What can i say.. it was a nightmare - one of hardest trophies ever, lot a commitment and lots of online matches. Loooots!

Uncharted 3:

Overseer
Get the Curator Medal while on Crushing Difficulty

Good luck to all who wanna get it :) Its hard as hell :)

Collector
Complete the Antiquity Treasure Set

Hoarder
Complete the Artifact Treasure Set

Its hard to explain those trophies - its pure hell - you need to play a lot online in all variations, and have a loooots, plenty of luck - treasures are totaly random :) But having Uncharted 3 at 100% is worth it!

RockBand 2

The Bladder of Steel Award
Completed the Endless Setlist 2 without pausing or failing

You need to play whole setlist without PAUSING game or failing :) It takes around 8 hours, 81 songs! :) Yeah!

Quantum Conundrum

In less than 12 parsecs

Achieved Goal Time on all maps

You want a real challenge? Try getting this trophy :)

LIMBO

No Point in Dying

Complete the game in one sitting with five or less deaths

What can I say.. you will die a lot more than 5 :D

Dante's Inferno

It's in the Trial
Beat 25 different single player and 15 different two-player EA trials

It requires a lot of skill and a dedicated buddy.

Killzone 2

Valor Grand Cross
Achieve weekly online honor rank #4

It requires a lot of dedication. I feel sorry for all players who want to get it now, after they announced server clousures. Becouse of that you need to get a lot of points. And it will get only worse.

Edited by Kristmas2
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials

59S03ca73.png Daredevil :bronze:

Anyone who's got this knows exactly what I'm talking about.

In fact, the entire DLC was the worst gaming experience I've ever had since it was more luck than anything else. And it's probably the only reason 100% for this game is at 0.25%.

Ive been on fence on starting this game due to these trials (completionist whore)

Watched videos on youtube seeing what i may be getting myself into and damn.. what a mess lol

Hats off to you mate!

1 minute ago, The_Laaich81 said:

Savage.. 

You were there brother lol, still have nightmares over that shit lol

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Kr1st0ph_212 said:

Two big ones come to mind.

Is There Anything You Can't Do? (Trials Fusion)

This took me around two months to earn because I'd never played Trials before Fusion and the trophy asks you to complete all 120 challenges in the base game. You can cheese this achievement on Xbox One, but us PlayStation boys have to earn our trophy. While some of the challenges are pretty straightforward, others border on sadistic and require near-perfect riding ability to complete (and some involve finishing the hardest tracks in the game without a single mistake). I still have my original PS4 controller sitting there because the thumbstick is so worn from this game - almost like a real-life reminder of the pain those challenges caused me.

Mein Leben (Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus)

If you've played Wolfenstein II, you've probably at least heard of the "Mein Leben" permadeath mode. One mistake sends you hurtling back to the main menu. No saves, no quits, no breaks. You can't scum your way through this mode and the only way to earn this trophy is to blast through the campaign without a single death. It took me no less than 61 attempts over two weeks and it's probably the most painful trophy I've ever challenged myself to earn - but Wolfenstein II at 100% is always a beautiful sight.

Congratulations for Mein Leben man.. this trophy is Sick!

Still not done with it but the pain this game has caused over the course of 10 months is fucking unbearable. I introduce you to Inversion (2012).

50Leab045.png 

Feats Don't Fail Me Now : Complete all basic multiplayer challenges.

Basic is the biggest fucking understatement in the history of everything ever. To get this trophy, you have to get thousands of kills, 250 matches in almost all of the game modes  (save for survival but I'll get into that one into a bit.) You say that isn't bad, right? Except this game was dead on arrival and never had a player base. So you have to get people, 2 in some modes, 4 in others, hell 6 in tdm for one particular feat which you need at least 8 because you need to be on a team of 6 and be #1. Couple that with one mode that does not appear regularly, Grav Control. You'll be lucky to get the damn mode 5 times a day because its gonna be King of Gravity/ Gravity Slaughter the rest of the time. Did I mention how long it has taken me? 10 months and I am still not done, despite countless days and hours I left it on overnight to even get some modes. Survival in particular needs only 30 matches, BUT they fuck you over with a challenge where you have to kill an enemy that appears in only 1 map exactly 3 times. Max. So, unless your partners are cool with it, you are getting 1 a match, or 3. So you're gonna do this mode more than 30 no matter what. I'm not even half way with this feat. There is a whole shit ton of more feats you need to do, ranging from basic, to fucking terrible. There are 183 basic challenges to complete.  Here is the complete list for those curious. I just need this mode and I am done. God help me.

I regret ever putting this game into my PS3. I wanted at that time to boost every game I got since I had just started my platinum hunting career. I bought Inversion for 3 dollars at Target , in the clearance bin. I didnt even bother to look up what the requirements were. It will be a reminder for me that I should always look up a game I had no idea was a mediocre at best Gears of War clone. It's worth the 3 bucks for the somewhat enjoyable campaign (that honestly overstays its welcome) but fuck the MP. Its not even such a bad MP. Its kinda fun. But fuck these feats. 

Other than that, I'm going to guess my upcoming Killzone 2 boosting will be annoying. But right now, inversion is the upper echelon of bullshit.

• Like 4