Suggestion: Remove inactive PSN users (for X years) from the leaderboards

Hi,

I am suggesting this because the site currently tracks more than 3,400,000 users, only ~230,000 are registered, and I noticed there are users (I obviously have no way to know how many...) that didn't touch a game in several years and therefore I think they should be removed due to inactivity.

My suggestion goes like this:

• The site should remove a user from the leaderboards if it automatically or manually scanned the user and noticed that him/her neither earned a trophy nor launched a game in the last X years.
  • The site should not allow to add a new user to the leaderboards if it noticed that him/her neither earned a trophy nor launched a game in the last X years.
  • The site should allow a player that was once inactive to return to the leaderboards once the player is active again. 
  • This suggestion will apply to unregistered users only. 

Things that should discussed regarding this suggestion, if there is a will to implement it: 

• When a user should be considered being inactive - I personally think that 5 years is more than enough to be considered being an inactive user. Everybody can have a break for some time from gaming. What do you think? Maybe less or even more than 5 years?
  • Should the site actively seek out inactive users and remove them - To be honest, I don't know if it's even feasible or worth to do such a thing since I can't know how many inactive users there are and not aware how the site really works behind the scenes. However, inactive users will be removed only if they are updated in some way according to my suggestion, and i think that the site simply stops updating a user if he/she is inactive for a short time, even if the user return to play something shortly after (You can see users like these, they will have their next automatic update time written as 'Updating Soon' on their profiles). So if the site does work like this then maybe it should be considered to actively seek out these users behind the scenes or else they won't be removed so easily, but then again it will require to make sure every user is updated and I am not sure it's worth it.

So, what do you think?

Edited by TheDarkBlade9
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happy said:

I dunno, i feel like a leaderboard that tracks all players has more legitimacy to it than one that just ranks all active players.

What do you mean exactly by all players and legitimacy? I didn't get it. The site doesn't track all users on the PS Network (and neither other trophies sites), so what's the problem with making sure it only counts active players in the leaderboards - when the community here decides what counts as an inactive player? 

1 minute ago, Caju_94 said:

I make Happy's words mine.

I mean, one of PSNProfiles' goals, for me, is to track most of PS Network users (maybe someday all) and rank them by trophy hunting progression.

Removing users could generate a more competitive leadeboard system, yes, I understand, but it might give you a false "sensation" about your country and world ranking... (Imagine you're in the top 10 for your country... Are you really in the top 10 if you consider all the players of your country?). I personally prefer to be ranked amongst all tracked players, whether they are active or not. That way the leadeboards seems more legit, more fair and more real as far as country and worlds ranks are concerned. I guess the idea is to be as close as possible to reality.

But that's just my opinion... :)

I totally understand your opinion and I too wish the site could count all PSN users so the leaderboards will be fair as possible, but that's the point - the site is not even close to this reality (Will it and can it one day??). Even now you can't really be sure how good you are in your country for example (unless maybe if you are at the top 10 or something, depends on the country, and that's while ignoring the fact that you can't be sure id the user is really from that country).

What I am saying is to "embrace" the current state of the site and make the leaderboards more focused on the active players (Unless the owner of the site will say that the site will track all PSN users :), but otherwise its just a dream...).

6 minutes ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

Most people once platted a game would move on to something else, why else would they really go back?? of course they will be inactive in a so and so game. Just try harder to beat those score to get on the leaderboards ok, there is no need to remove inactives just so one can move up.

That's not what I meant... I am not talking about a specific game but on the global leaderboards. Also, it's likely that most inactive users (and I am talking inactive for several YEARS) are at the bottom of the leaderboards, not the top.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of that either. I feel it's sorta dumb negating what inactive users do, and especially pointless when it comes to trophies.

I remember when I used to play Runescape, they'd remove non-members from the leaderboards for some skills, like they're forcing you to pay if you want to stay there. Obviously it's nothing of the sort here. But leading to false stats is bad.

• Like 1

I like @TheDarkBlade9‘s suggestion.

I was going to suggest a little while back that leaderboard participation require registration to the website.

This would encourage site registration and participation.  The overall PSN statistics are already showed by PSN rarity, so this would increase accuracy by only tracking those classified as trophy hunters, and remove those added other people and have no idea they’re even tracked here, or the one time person who checks their stats for fun and never returns.

Edit: It would also make weeding out cheaters 1000x easier.

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

I like @TheDarkBlade9‘s suggestion.

I was going to suggest a little while back that leaderboard participation require registration to the website.

This would encourage site registration and participation.  The overall PSN statistics are already showed by PSN rarity, so this would increase accuracy by only tracking those classified as trophy hunters, and remove those added other people and have no idea they’re even tracked here, or the one time person who checks their stats for fun and never returns.

Edit: It would also make weeding out cheaters 1000x easier.

This combined with you have to be a certain PSN level like say Level 12 before you can even be allowed to be on the leaderboards.

31 minutes ago, BEASTzINCARNATEz said:

This combined with you have to be a certain PSN level like say Level 12 before you can even be allowed to be on the leaderboards.

11 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

How about we will remove profiles that gain plats too fast? Gotta help those ADHD autismos get back into real life. And we'll get a more focused and reliable leaderboard, so it's a win for everyone!

Lol. That's taking it too far...

Edited by TheDarkBlade9

44 minutes ago, BEASTzINCARNATEz said:

I disagree.  I understand why you want it, as an attempt to keep casuals off the leaderboard who don’t really care about trophies from skewing stats on a site that is supposed to be for people who care about trophies... Or something similar.

But my registration requirement essentially manages that better. Anyone who takes the time to register for the leaderboard effectively cares about it, making for better stats for PSNP users to compare to other PSNP users.  That way low level users who don’t play much but still go for fast times etc can still be tracked.

TL,DR.  Create a “leaderboard user group” for those who want to compete with likeminded users, and everyone else can just track their stats and avoid stigmas.

• Like 1