AC:O - The Hidden Ones: A Good DLC In 2018!!

Swotam

This is just my opinion, but The Hidden Ones is a good example of what I think DLC should be these days. At $10 US or $13 Canadian it's reasonably priced and provides an interesting story plus side content that will easily get you 8-10 hours of gameplay. It adds new trophies, a new playable area, a new story arc, new outfits and gear, and an increased level cap for those who care about such things.

While the whole concept of DLC may not sit well with some, I don't personally have a problem with paying extra for new content as long as it offers what I consider value for money. When you see how many developers charge a lot more, for a lot less, it's nice to see Ubisoft put out something that's fairly priced and offers a reasonable amount of new content at the same time.

So, credit where due, I'd say this one is worth buying standalone (assuming you don't have the overpriced $40 season pass) if you've been pondering it. I started playing it yesterday and it's pretty good.

• Like 2

Thanks for the opinion piece.

I don't get season passes until I know what's in them. For all of the Assassin's Creed games, I've bought the story DLC without the season pass, except for AC III, which simply had a sale where the SP was as expensive as all three story DLC put together (plus I'd get the three pre-order missions out of it).

Sounds like I'll at least want this DLC, so I'll wait and see what other content they'll come up with.

6 hours ago, nickmesselaar said:

I agree with you, although I found the new storyline to be very short. After completing the last mission I had a "oh, so it's over already?" feeling.

Yeah, I expect if you just do the story missions you could get through those in 3-4 hours, but if you factor in the side missions and trophy related stuff, and take the time to do misc content to level up to 45 before starting the later missions it'll definitely add up to quite a bit more. I probably put in a good 9 hours from the time I started to the time I got the final trophy. If someone wants to clear the entire zone of all locations, side quests, and main quests I can definitely see it adding a few more hours. I've got 100% for the DLC trophies and there's still a bunch of stuff "to do" on the map, side quests I haven't even touched yet, and areas of the map I have barely explored.

All things being equal, I was pleasantly surprised that it was so inexpensive compared to what many developers usually charge (~$19.99) for a single DLC these days, and I'm hoping the second story DLC will be similarly priced and be of equal or better quality.

On 1/26/2018 at 9:24 AM, Swotam said:

All things being equal, I was pleasantly surprised that it was so inexpensive compared to what many developers usually charge (~$19.99) for a single DLC these days, and I'm hoping the second story DLC will be similarly priced and be of equal or better quality.

Rumor is the second story based DLC will be $20 but it will also be a larger map and will take longer to complete compared to the Hidden Ones DLC.

I thought it was a bit short with "more of the same" from the base game for its pricing point. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, because with ACO, I like more of the same. But nothing felt unique. Overall, I liked it and will buy the second DLC as stand alone as well since, like someone previously said, the season pass is overpriced.