Backlog Anonymous - The event to end all backloggery (Year 1)

Got the platinum!

L52070a.png

Did some grinding today, and got to the platinum. This game is a lot easier to 100% than the first game, which I didn't even bother with in the end.

It's cool that they added planes (and boats, but I mainly like the planes) but there's so much that the first The Crew title did better... Like progression, less obnoxious rubber banding, and a map that needed to be explored instead of opening up all at once. It's like The Crew 2 goaded me into getting the platinum as quickly as possible without looking back, as quicktravel goes straight to events, instead of how in The Crew 1 you could just point on the map (where you had already explored) and faff about.

I'm glad I got it on a sale. I paid €35 for it, and can get €20 back for it now (by trading it in at a game store for credit towards Red Dead Redemption II). It was definitely a fun game for €15.

I caved and bought Spider-Man. I could get it for €25 by trading in The Crew 2 and LEGO Dimensions (plus a few expansions), thought it was a good deal because I bought The Crew 2 for €35 and I've been trying to get rid of LEGO Dimensions for ages.

So I'm at minus one now, with three not-yet-counted AAA games I might want day one left to go: Super Mario Party, Red Dead Redemption II and Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Seeing as I've been making progress in a few games, I expect to be allowed to buy a game before Super Mario Party releases - I'm one story completion away from having earned the Spider-Man purchase. We'll see where we go from there.

Edited by Ash Williams

Finished the DLC story, 100% complete!

Lef6c16.png

Le2203b.png

My wife finally had a bit of time today, so we played the Never Alone DLC, Foxtales. It was very short (part of the reason I decided to buy it as my wife seldom has time and I wanted something we could finish in one sitting), but it was cheap too (€2 in the current sale). I recall being annoyed with  the main game because of one irritating part late in the game, but the DLC was pretty annoyance-free. I'd say unless you absolutely hated the main game (it was on PS+ somewhere after I bought it), you might as well cough up for the DLC.

So that puts me in balance again after purchasing Spider-Man today. On to the next three story completions so I can pre-order Super Mario Party!

Finished all I'm going to do for LBP3 and 100%ed Deathspank. So I'll be checking 2 more games off my list. Now up to 20 games. I really liked LBP3 and never ran into any glitches. I also loved Deathspank. It's a comical RPG that's pretty much a medieval game with Captain Qwark as the main character since the character was based off of him.

• Like 1

Due to a work related event I was pretty much absent for the last 2 weeks. I still have to read all the posts I missed and update my own stuff.

Here's a short version of what I've been up to gaming-wise

Played through (Review's will follow of course):

• Salt & Sanctuary
  • Thimbleweed Park
  • I am Setsuna

I haven't been back to Yakuza 0 but I started Red Dead Redemption via Xbox One backward compatibility as a sort of appetizer for the sequel.

I'm back to 1 point and hope I can stay in the positives till Red Dead Redemption 2 arrives.

J

• Like 4

Mafia 2 (PS3)

L0be085.png

• Enjoyment: 10/10
  • Difficulty: 4/10
  • Trophy Wise: 10/10

Well what can I say about this game other than it's a complete masterpiece in my opinion! You play as a young Sicilian man named Vito Scaletta who emigrated to Empire Bay when he was just a boy. But, as Vito often does, he dreamed of a life that was better than his fathers, and so his journey begun. The overall story is fantastic, the characters are lovable and charming, and the game play is explosive and also makes it a joy to play! And to say that Mafia 2 is an 8 year old game and is on a last gen console, the game doesn't look or play half bad, which is always a welcome addition in my book! However, I definitely wouldn't recommend the DLC to anyone as they firstly, have nothing to do with the main story, apart from Joe's Adventures, and secondly, they can just be plain boring and unnecessarily boring and grindy, which isn't needed in a game like this.

If anyone was to ask me what game I'd recommend to them, then it would be Mafia 2 every time as it's just one of those games that everyone should play at least one and also have on their gaming profiles! So do yourself a favour, and go and buy Mafia 2! Trust me, you'll thank me later ;).

Played on PS3

So that now means I've got 3 points to use on a new game and I've updated my Original Post. So I think that this will have to be the new Tomb Raider and then I can binge on the whole series at once! :P

Also @Paleblood, I've finally added my coin to my signature, and I really don't know why it took me so long to be honest :D. Anyway, thank you @ruffedgz for designing the badges for the event! You've done a great job!

• Like 2

Haven't had internet the past few weeks, and have been working 50+ hour work weeks, so I haven't been able to play through anything. I have decided to start being more picky though. The majority of my backlog at this point is just games I got through sales, or humble bundles, or just games that I played and just wasn't very into. So I just moved on from them and they've just sat there. Instead of forcing myself to play through them, I'm just going to start removing them if they don't keep my interest after a couple of hours. I'll just have to sacrifice the points. 

Because of this newfound pickiness, I've removed The Witch and the Hundred Knight, American McGee's Alice, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Prince of Persia The Warrior Within, Strike Suit Infinity, Assassin's Creed Liberation HD, and Enslaved Odyssey to the West.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight was just a bummer to play. The weird stamina system coupled with the ridiculous stomach inventory system just made the game feel like a chore. Which sucks, because the core gameplay was pretty good.

American McGee's Alice was just a pile of hot garbage. It just doesn't work on a controller. Not being able to use a mouse and pinpoint exactly where you're aiming/jumping makes the game incredibly frustrating.

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon was kind of amusing at first. The 80's jokes were kind of funny, but they got real old, real fast. Coupled with janky gunplay and boring missions, just made for a pretty boring game. And while the art direction was a neat idea, I didn't like the way it actually looked in game. Everything just felt too dark, and it made it hard to navigate.

The Warrior Within was just hilariously bad at first. The novelty wore off very quickly, and it just turned aggressively unfun.

Strike Suit Infinity I feel like is a great space flight simulator. Probably the best out there. The mechanics really feel like that's what piloting a space ship would be like. Unfortunately, I found it to be kind of boring. If you could be in the gundam style mode forever, it would be pretty fun, but to have to go around in circles to make passes at enemy ships while in spaceship mode was just kind of boring. I know that's how it would actually work, but that isn't why I play games. I play games for the surreal and impossible.

Assassin's Creed Liberation HD was... well, it was an Assassin's Creed game. The formula started to get tired after 3, but I wanted to try out Liberation HD. Mainly because I got the Liberation Vita bundle, and the game was completely unplayable. So I was honestly just curious what the game was supposed to be like. Turns out it's just like the other ones.

Enslaved Odyssey to the West. I started playing this game as a trophy hunter, because at one point I was going for a plat with every letter of the alphabet, and Enslaved seemed like the easiest and most fun. But this game is just a shining example of why I hate Ninja Theory. I know I'm in the minority on this, so I wont really go into it, but this game was just another Ninja Theory game, and I wasn't into it.

Anyway, this brings me down to 84 games, with just 16 on the PS3. Still hoping to be able to completely get rid of my PS3 backlog by the time I get another PS4 in January. 

Edited by ExHaseo

Finished the story!

header.jpg

I finished Agatha Knife yesterday. The game was a lot of fun. You play as Agatha Knife, a butcher's daughter who loves animals and also meat. She gets sad when the animals get scared of her when she picks up her knives, so she wants to start a religion where the animals believe their way towards a happy afterlife is to get butchered by Agatha.

I'm still going on Spider-Man, The Messenger, Banner Saga 3 and L.A. Noire, and I now have also started on West Of Loathing. I like playing a few games next to each other, especially when they are so different (in order: bombastic AAA superhero game, challenging 2D platformer, tactical RPG with fantasy story, replyaing an old game I love, and West Of Loathing is just a complete nuthouse).

Update!

I've brought a couple of new games this week! I went and brought The Long Dark instead of Shadow of the Tomb Raider as I haven't had time to play the other Tomb Raider games yet so I want to do those first. Also The Long Dark looks like a sort of game I'd really enjoy and I kind of fancy being lost in a post-apocalyptic snowy landscape while being constantly worried about freezing to death and taking four days to figure out how to build a fire ??! I know I have it on XB1 in digital form, but I'm a sucker for a great little retail edition of a game! Plus it includes a lovely little Field Journal and a code for the Soundtrack! Anyway, here's a video for you all to watch if you haven't the foggiest idea of what The Long Dark is. 

The second game I brought is STAY, which only just came out the other day. I was originally going to get this on the PS4, but it's quite cheaper on the Switch so I got it on there instead. This is what the description of STAY is on the store; 

STAY is the story of Quinn: A therapist who wakes up alone and locked in a strange room with nothing of note save for a computer hooked up to an internet chat room. That chat room has one other member: You. As Quinn’s only contact with the outside world, you become his single ray of hope. Your choices – and your timeliness when it comes to responding to his requests – will single-handedly shape his escape efforts… or lead him down the path to an untimely end.

Here's a trailer for you:

Anyway, these purchases put me down to -3 points, but that's okay as I need an incentive to work extra hard to redeem myself and also start to earn my Christmas List...which is probably going to take me FOREVER, but heyho, BRING IT ON!!! :P 

• Like 2

Most Recent Update:

Earned the platinum trophy in Thief, added my vita games (Man I have too many games that qualify for backlog xD that's why I joined)

Now Playing:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Personal Rules:

• Games that I already have preordered will not count against me (I work at Game Stop, but it's only like 5 games)
  • If I own the original version of the game and there is a digital version with trophies, I reserve the right to purchase this for trophies sake

Current Status:

New Game Points: 1 1/3

Games Completed: 1

Total Points Earned: 1 1/3

Platinums/100% Obtained: 1

Games Bought: 0

My Backlog (1/145)

1platinum.png / 1 100% / 1 Stories Finished

Key:

Story Beaten

Completed/100%

Platinumplatinum.png

Bought After Starting

Preorder From Before the Event

PlayStation 4 Backlog (1/37)

platinum.png

1 100%

• Thiefplatinum.png
  • Persona 5
  • Witcher 3
  • Fallout 4
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
  • Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix
  • Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
  • Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
  • Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage
  • Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
  • Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition
  • Watch Dogs
  • The Order 1886
  • Uncharted 4
  • Star Ocean Integrity and Faithlessness
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Final Fantasy X-2
  • Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
  • Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
  • Far Cry 4
  • Far Cry Primal 
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
  • Crash Bandicoot: Warped
  • Bloodborne
  • Assassin's Creed Syndicate
  • Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag
  • Stardew Valley
  • South Park Fractured But Whole
  • Bully
  • .Hack//G.U. Last Recode
  • Last of Us Remastered
  • Nier Automata
  • Assassin's Creed Origins
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Nintendo Switch Backlog (0/20)

0 100%

• Octopath Traveler
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Sonic Mania
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Shining Resonance Refrain
  • Shantae Half Genie Hero
  • Disgae 5 Complete
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
  • Harvest Moon: Light of Hope
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (DLC + Korok Seeds)
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Owlboy
  • Wild Guns
  • Okami HD
  • Undertale
  • Cave Story
  • Monster Hunter

3DS/DS Backlog (0/18)

0 100%

• Fantasy Life
  • Pokemon X
  • Pokemon Moon
  • Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
  • The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
  • Elite Beat Agents
  • Dragon Quest IX
  • Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light
  • Grand Theft Auto China Town Wars 
  • Harvest Moon DS: Tale of Two Towns
  • Hotel Dusk: Room 215
  • Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
  • Lux-Pain
  • The World Ends With You
  • Resident Evil Deadly Silence
  • Professor Layton and the Curious Village
  • Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
  • Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

PSX/PS2 Backlog (0/44)

0 100%

PSX:

• 40 Winks
  • Arc the Lad 1
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Arc the Lad 3
  • Ape Escape
  • Bushido Blade
  • Breath of Fire IV
  • Clock Tower
  • Croc 
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Harvest Moon Back to Nature
  • Jade Cocoon
  • Klonoa Door to the Phantomisle
  • The Legend of Dragoon
  • Lunar
  • Medievil
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Parasite Eve
  • Silent Hill
  • Suikoden
  • Suikoden 2
  • Tail Concerto
  • Tomba
  • Vagrant Story
  • Wild Arms
  • Xenogears

PS2

• Dawn of Mana
  • Disgae
  • Disgae 2 
  • Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  • Odin Sphere
  • Persona 3 FES
  • Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • SSX Tricky
  • SSX 3
  • Tak and the Power of Juju
  • True Crime New York City
  • Xenosaga

SNES Backlog (0/23)

0 100%

• Earthbound
  • Final Fantasy II
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Brandish
  • Breath of Fire
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
  • Illusion of Gaia
  • Kendo Rage
  • The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
  • Lufia
  • Mega Man X
  • The Pagemaster
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Turtles IV
  • Secret of Mana
  • Super Mario World 2
  • Contra III
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
  • Starfox

Vita Backlog (0/7)

platinum.png

0 100%

• Persona 4 Golden
  • Muramasa Rebirth
  • Gravity Rush
  • Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc
  • Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
  • Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls
  • Senran Kagura Estival Versus

Edited by Wise_Mans_Fears
Update
  • Like 3

Did another quick one during my lunch break: Completed flOw! It took me 4 1/2 years to complete this, but now it's done. It is very short. I think 1.5h from start till credits. The problem is, that after 5 minutes, you have seen everything it has to offer. So I stopped playing after 3 or 4 levels. Now I rushed trough the rest to get it off the list and score me another easy point :)

This makes 10 completed games now (looking forward for the shiny badge!!!) and an new game score of 2+2/3.

original post

• Like 1

Man, work is merciless these last few weeks. It seems that i'm only really able to update on mondays and wednesdays for an unknown time.

Here is a review I have written a few weeks ago. I'll be back at monday, keep it up guys!

Salt and Sanctuary

saltlogo.gif

• No difficulty to select
  • Took me 23h to finish
  • Bought it for 14.99€

As many of you probably already know I like Dark Souls. A lot.

And no doubt about it, if I ever developed a game it would have major influences from the series. But that doesn't mean that I blindly like everything that smells remotely Dark Souls. I hate The Surge for example. Granted I haven't played it much, but do you honestly have to dance in shit for tens of hours to know that you don't like shit?

Well I already know I don't like shit. But I digress.

So, how does Salt and Sanctuary live up as a Soulslike-Metroidvania, and more importantly, as its own game?

I think the refenerences to From Software's series are a bit intrusive at times. See, I don't mind the similar formula, but to copy the Onion Knight armor with a Potato Kinght counterpart for example is almost cringeworthy to me.

Despite lacking any idea how to build a world with it's own style, there lies a decent game underneath.

Melee combat is suprisingly deep for a 2D game. There are a lot of things to tweak in the menues and even more things to pay attention to in combat.

At first glance the skilltree looks incredibly detailed and complex but very soon boils down to exclusively increasing 1 or 2 stats. That was pretty disappointing to me.

But then there is also the Metroidvania part of the game. I thought it was a neat idea to combine these things as it finally gave Salt and Sanctuary its own identity. Traversal is where the game shines in the first playthrough. The standard upgrades to movement like a walljump or a mid-air dash soon get enhanced by the are more ambigous ones like creating platforms to land on with your torch.

The thing about the torch is that it remains active in your offhand while lighting your way, in turn limiting you to use your weapon one-handed or to relinquish your shield. Which for my build was a big influence in combat since I played as a two-handed brute. This is the sort of stuff I adore in games.

So why did I mention the first playthrough then? Well, as you progress you get accustomed to the speed and style of traversal, the skills you obtained being a necessity, but as a Soulslike, this game also puts a big emphasis on New Game+ and beyond.

After trying the first two bosses on the consecutive game cycle, I have to say that it feels downright crippling to lose all those movement skills.

This felt very counterintuitive to the design of the game to me, so I stopped there.

After reading through this it sounds way more negative than my final outlook on the game actually is. Just to clarify: This is a good game. I think I sound overly critical because I am very familiar with the genre.

I'd give Salt and Sanctuary a 7/10

Played on Nintendo Switch

On a side note: The game crashed right at the end, at the last cutscene causing me to have to replay the last section of the game and re-fight the final boss. That was kind of a mood killer. But I don't want to hold that to its detriment since every game ever has crashed on someone at some time.

J

• Like 4

There's a nice sale this weekend, so I decided to do another quick one. Finished Entwined in less than 2 hours. It wants to be another Flower or Journey, but it just mediocre arcade game with few meditative moments. Can't recommend it.

This makes 11 completed and a score of 3. So I am allowed to buy another game. Now I am struggeling what to buy: Dead Cells from the sale? I will most likely never finish it, but it looks awesome! Or Dragon Quest XI? Or Spider-Man? With those 2 I could/should wait until I finished Yakuza 2. This event is becoming a real challenge for me.

• Like 1

Finished the story, got the platinum!

L1398d7.png

Spider-Man did not disappoint. I wouldn't put it on the same level as Arkham Asylum, but it's very entertaining and I'm glad I played it.

Don't know much to tell you lot about this as you'll know most already and what I could add would get into spoiler territory. So I'll just say, they really got the webslinging right, which would be the most important part of a Spider-Man game.

• Like 2

Finished the main levels of the DLC!

220px-Snipperclips.png

I bought the Snipperclips Plus DLC on release, just as the main game was one of the three Switch games I bought day one (the other two are Fast RMX and The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild). Due to my wife's busy work/college schedule, we didn't manage to get together for gaming in a long time, usually just watching a show or two on Netflix. Playing the Never Alone DLC with her last week made her want to play some more finally, so we did the remaining one of two total worlds in the Snipperclips DLC.

I still recommend this game a lot if you have someone to play with, might be the ultimate co-op puzzle videogame.

For 100% completion, we'd need: 

Completion of all six extra levels in the second DLC world

Completion of one extra level in the first DLC world (not the final level, just some in-between level)

Completion of all six extra levels in the four player party mode

Edit: Oooooooooh! And with that, I'm allowed to buy one more new game! I'm probably keeping that credit for Super Mario Party, I always liked those games and maybe I can convince my wife and brother-in-law (just to be clear: two different people I'm talking about, even though I'm not sure how that would be possible if it was the same person). And if other people like @MosesRockefeller buy both Super Mario Party and a Nintendo Online subscription, then maybe we can organise some PSNP parties!

On 16/09/2018 at 2:08 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

The Legacy is no longer lost! Uncharted: Lost Legacy is done. Another game down! My total is now up to 21 games completed for the year!

Here's the screenshot for the platinum... I thought it was pretty cool! :P 

Reveal hidden contents

3zTYcMG.jpg

Lost Legacy is my favourite Uncharted game! I hope they end up making one about young Sully. I like Chloe and Sully much more than Nathan and whatever his wife was called.

Edited by Spawn
typo
  • Like 2

Finished the party levels, got the platinum!

Laf667d.png

Bought this last year on the Switch, where I played through all story levels solo. Bought the game on PS4 around four months ago in a great sale, figuring I could persuade my brother-in-law to play the story levels and the party levels with me (story can be done solo or with two players, party can be played with two to four players).

Seeing as I had played through the story myself on the Switch and my explicit wish was now to do the party levels, I figured I'd make the end of the party levels the moment where the game would count for this event.

Great puzzle game, I recommend it at full price even if you're just going to play the story levels on your own, without looking at the other content.

Thimbleweed Park

H2x1_NSwitchDS_ThimbleweedPark_image1600

• Played on Hard
  • Took me 20h to finish
  • Bought it for 16.99€

A pixelating body, a menu option for annoying in-jokes, Ron Gilbert as a NPC in the game , yet another menu option for toilet paper preferences... Thimbleweed Park is something we haven't seen in a while. An actually funny and competent Point & Click adventure.

Like half of all indie games released nowadays, Thimbleweed Park has kind of a Twin Peaks charme to it. These isn't much to say about the story of the characters without spoiling a bit too much. Basically there is a body found under a bridge and two foreign detectives are here to investigate the murder.

The puzzles are clever and cheeky, don't solve themself and are around for a long time so the game never feels too linear.

Out of the 4 playable characters I liked Delores the best and disliked Ransome the Clown hard. Ransome is a swearing Clown, that's it. And you better think a swearing Clown is funny as hell because that is all you're going to get from this character for the rest of the game.

Despite having one shit character the game was funny and smart on all other occasions. I especially liked the witty 4th wall breaking and how the story unfolded at the end.

Also, if you want to experience great pixel art and music that breathes live into a 2D city, this is definitely the game for you.

I'd give Thimbleweed Park a 7/10

Played on Nintendo Switch

J

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Paleblood said:

menu option for toilet paper preferences

Do you know why that option is there, what it did? It's a fun story :)

4 hours ago, Paleblood said:

Out of the 4 playable characters I liked Delores the best and disliked Ransome the Clown hard. Ransome is a swearing Clown, that's it. And you better think a swearing Clown is funny as hell because that is all you're going to get from this character for the rest of the game.

... Ransome was funny ?

He's my kind of anti-humour: an unfunny insult comic. The whole point is that it's nit funny at all, and how out of place in a circus it would be if a clown's act was being an insult comic instead of a physical comic. It's also a good commentary on today's popular type of comedian, that insulting for the sake of insulting isn't good enough, you need to have a comedic angle.

So the Playstation Picks Sale finally got me. I've been very curious to play Hyperdimension Neptunia for a while now. Heard some good things about it, plus with it being a JRPG it's right up my alley. And getting all three Re;Birth editions for about $7 was too good a deal to pass up. Used 12 points to get:

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 + 2 +3

Adam's Venture: Origins

Which leaves me with 2 points for now, just have to beat one more game and i am set with picking up Spyro Collection in November.