Backlog Anonymous - The event to end all backloggery (Year 1)

... Super Mario Party looking more and more appealing by the day. I'll probably spend that one allowed game token soon.

2 hours ago, gladiatorrrrrrr said:

Hey there,

I jus bumped into your thread. I do suffer from the same as you all do. It is even so bad that I sometimes even forget that I already bought the game. Is there still a spot for me to join so I finally can get rid of my backlog?

Cheers

Gladi

Seeing as @Paleblood is not here all the time (might be quicker now that I'm @'ing him), I'll answer:

This is a "continuous event" type, so joining is not limited to the start of the event (and this event will very likely continue on into 2019).

Make a 'first' post that @Paleblood can link to in the OP (here's mine for an example), in which you can keep editing how many / which games you've played through and how many games you're allowed to buy. You could also add your backlog to it, but not everyone does that.

• Like 1

:platinum:Thanks for the quick reply Spawn.

I saw that mopping up remaining trophies after you finished the story doesn't qualify. Although that is also part of my back log. ?. Will start with what I know on top my head and will adjust later on. Too many games too many things to remember too old to keep track too ?

Spend most of my gaming time on BF1 (220+ hours) and FIFA clubs. But I try to keep up with SP games too. It is just that time is limited......

Current Status:

New Game Points: 16

Platinums/100% Obtained: 15

Games Bought: 3

Available game points 7

Currently playing

Spoiler
  • BF5 - PS4
  • Dishonored 2 -  PS4
  • 2064: Read Only Memories - {SVita
  • Sly Cooper - Thieves in Time - PSVita
  • FIFA19 - PS4

Backlog playing/finishing games PS4

Spoiler
  • Strange Brigade :platinum:
  • Gone home 100%
  • Tomb raider - shadow of the tomb raider - story finished
  • Never alone + DLC  - 100%
  • A way out -  :platinum:
  • Rime :platinum:
  • Here they Lie - 100%
  • Mafia III
  • Until Dawn
  • Dishonored II
  • BF5
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Deus Ex Mankind Divided
  • Everybody's gone to rapture
  • Journey
  • MGS V
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • This War of Mine
  • Valiant Hearts - the great war
  • Far Cry 5
  • Unravel
  • Life is strange
  • Ether One
  • Dishonored, the death of an outsider
  • Uncharted : Lost Legacy

Backlog playing/finishing games PSVita

Spoiler
  • FIFA 15  :platinum:
  • Claire  :platinum:
  • Color Guardians :platinum:
  • Forma.8 :platinum:
  • Burley Man at Sea :platinum:
  • Teslagrad - :platinum:
  • Broken Age :platinum:
  • 2064: Read Only Memories :platinum:
  • Walking Dead season 2 100%
  • Motorstorm RC
  • Salt and Sanctuary
  • AC Chronicles - China
  • AC Chronicles - Russia
  • AC Chronicles - India
  • Broken Sword 5 - episode 2
  • The Long Reach
  • Sly Cooper 4
  • Tearaway
  • Rayman Origins
  • Little Big Planet
  • Severed
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Uncanny Valley
  • Amnesia Memories
  • Hatoful Boyfriend
  • Gravity Rush
  • Borderlands 2
  • Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness
  • Sid Meier
  • Never Ending Nightmares
  • Spy Chameleon
  • Super Exploding Zoo
  • Type:rider
  • Soul Sacrifice
  • Another World
  • Hue
  • Virtuas Last Reward
  • Metal Gear Solid HD
  •  

Possible add ons to my backlog list

Spoiler

PS4

• Darksiders II
  • Resident Evil 6
  • Middle Earth : Shadow of Mordor
  • Wolfenstein: The New order
  • Titanfall II
  • Yakuza 6
  • Zombi
  • DriveClub
  • Infamous
  • Walking Dead 2
  • Thief
  • Onrush
  • Soma

PSVita

• Rocketbirds Evolution
  • FEZ
  • Papers Please
  • Unit13
  • Iconolast

Edited by gladiatorrrrrrr
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, gladiatorrrrrrr said:

I saw that mopping up remaining trophies after you finished the story doesn't qualify.

Actually, it does.

In regular mode, finishing a story counts as 1 point and getting platinum/100% after that counts as 1/3 point.

In trophy hunter mode, finishing a story counts as 1/3 point and getting platinum/100% after that counts as 1 point.

Either way, you get 4/3 points for a game/DLC from start to finish (unless platinum/100% is automatic at story completion, like in many Telltale titles, in which case you don't get the extra 1/3), and either way, you'll need 3 points to be allowed to buy 1 new game/DLC.

• Like 1

On ‎08‎.‎09‎.‎2018 at 3:02 AM, Asvinia said:

Aw this looks like a lot of fun! It's a shame I've only seen it toward the end of the year lol Are you still accepting participants?.

On ‎14‎.‎09‎.‎2018 at 9:29 AM, Wise_Mans_Fears said:

I know this is towards the end of the year and this post is year one, but I'll join in now in an attempt to get used to this so I can be activate in the participation of year two :)

• Thief
  • Persona 5
  • Witcher 3
  • Fallout 4
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
  • Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix
  • Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
  • Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
  • Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage
  • Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
  • Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition
  • Watch Dogs
  • The Order 1886
  • Uncharted 4
  • Star Ocean Integrity and Faithlessness
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Final Fantasy X-2
  • Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
  • Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
  • Far Cry 4
  • Far Cry Primal 
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
  • Crash Bandicoot: Warped
  • Bloodborne
  • Assassin's Creed Syndicate
  • Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag
  • Stardew Valley
  • South Park Fractured But Whole
  • Bully
  • .Hack//G.U. Last Recode
  • Last of Us Remastered
  • Nier Automata
  • Assassin's Creed Origins

Nintendo Switch Backlog (0/17)

0 100%

Reveal hidden contents
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Sonic Mania
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Shining Resonance Refrain
  • Shantae Half Genie Hero
  • Disgae 5 Complete
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
  • Harvest Moon: Light of Hope
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (DLC + Korok Seeds)
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Owlboy
  • Wild Guns
  • Okami HD

3DS/DS Backlog (0/18)

0 100%

Reveal hidden contents
  • Fantasy Life
  • Pokemon X
  • Pokemon Moon
  • Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
  • The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
  • Elite Beat Agents
  • Dragon Quest IX
  • Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light
  • Grand Theft Auto China Town Wars 
  • Harvest Moon DS: Tale of Two Towns
  • Hotel Dusk: Room 215
  • Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
  • Lux-Pain
  • The World Ends With You
  • Resident Evil Deadly Silence
  • Professor Layton and the Curious Village
  • Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
  • Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

PSX/PS2 Backlog (0/44)

0 100%

Reveal hidden contents

PSX:

• 40 Winks
  • Arc the Lad 1
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Arc the Lad 3
  • Ape Escape
  • Bushido Blade
  • Breath of Fire IV
  • Clock Tower
  • Croc 
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Harvest Moon Back to Nature
  • Jade Cocoon
  • Klonoa Door to the Phantomisle
  • The Legend of Dragoon
  • Lunar
  • Medievil
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Parasite Eve
  • Silent Hill
  • Suikoden
  • Suikoden 2
  • Tail Concerto
  • Tomba
  • Vagrant Story
  • Wild Arms
  • Xenogears

PS2

• Dawn of Mana
  • Disgae
  • Disgae 2 
  • Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  • Odin Sphere
  • Persona 3 FES
  • Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • SSX Tricky
  • SSX 3
  • Tak and the Power of Juju
  • True Crime New York City
  • Xenosaga

SNES Backlog (0/23)

0 100%

Reveal hidden contents
  • Earthbound
  • Final Fantasy II
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Brandish
  • Breath of Fire
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
  • Illusion of Gaia
  • Kendo Rage
  • The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
  • Lufia
  • Mega Man X
  • The Pagemaster
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Turtles IV
  • Secret of Mana
  • Super Mario World 2
  • Contra III
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
  • Starfox

8 hours ago, gladiatorrrrrrr said:

Hey there,

I jus bumped into your thread. I do suffer from the same as you all do. It is even so bad that I sometimes even forget that I already bought the game. Is there still a spot for me to join so I finally can get rid of my backlog?

Hey new arrivals, right now I'm pretty occupied with work in my life so I'm not here as often as I'd like to be, but as @Spawn perfectly pointed out: You can join anytime.

This is a continuous event and Year 2 will just feature some new rewards and minor changes.

Everyone is welcome to stay and you don't miss out on anything if you're just starting. Just leave me a post with your stats and you're good to go! (Like @Wise_Mans_Fears)

Have fun killing the backlog. :)

J

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Spawn said:

Do you know why that option is there, what it did? It's a fun story :)

I know that it changes the way the toilet paper roll is placed in the game. I just thought it was an in-joke from the developers over some arguement they probably had xD

Is there an actual story to it?

19 hours ago, Spawn said:

... Ransome was funny 1f602.png

He's my kind of anti-humour: an unfunny insult comic. The whole point is that it's nit funny at all, and how out of place in a circus it would be if a clown's act was being an insult comic instead of a physical comic. It's also a good commentary on today's popular type of comedian, that insulting for the sake of insulting isn't good enough, you need to have a comedic angle.

Yeah but that exactly describes my problem. If you parody something I think the parody should be competent in the genre it makes fun of, i.e. Ransome being funny on some level to me.

Let's say you're making fun of a stereotypical annoying character. If the persiflage itself ends up being just as annoying as the source marterial with no redeeming quality to back it up, you failed. Big time.

And Ransome only being not funny isn't exactly the sort of thing I'd praise as the work of a satirical mastermind. But, y'know, different opinions xD.

Edited by Paleblood
  • Like 1

Completed the story of Yakuza Kiwami 2. It's the best Yakuza game I played so far. Great story, as always. The character progression is not so stuffed like in Zero or Kiwami 1. It's more straight forward, which I like more. I will spend some more time with the game and clean up some trophies, but won't go for the platinum. No way I will play dozens of hours of Mahjong.

original post

Edited by Moosbert
  • Like 1

Yay, okay then!

Updated: 16/03/19

Pale Mode

Current Status:

New Game Points: 2

Games Completed: 14

Games Bought: 5

Total Partial Points: 1/3 (2)

[111/602] Complete Backlog: https://backloggery.com/Asvinia

Games Completed (September) 2018: 11

Games Completed 2019: 4

Finished Games:

Spoiler

2018:

1. Assassin's Creed: Origins - 100%

2. Koi

3. Aven Colony

4. Digimon All-Star Rumble

5. Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires

6. Little Dragons Café

7. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

8. Torchlight

9. Spyro the Dragon

10. Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer

11. Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon

2019:

1. Dark Arcana: The Carnival

2. Yakuza 0

3. Yakuza Kiwami

4. Hitman (2016)

Currently Playing:

PS4 [1]

Spoiler

- Hitman 2

PS3 [1]

Spoiler

- Digimon All-Star Rumble - trophy grind

PSVita [1]

Spoiler

Criminal Girls: Invite Only

Switch [1]

Spoiler

- Octopath Traveler

PC [1]

Spoiler

- Sunless Sea

Edited by Asvinia
  • Like 2

I am Setsuna

I-am-setsuna-cover.jpg

• No difficulty to select
  • Took me 25h to finish
  • Bought it for 19.99€

If you're happy in the snow - clap your hands. If you're happy in the snow - clap your hands.

If you're happy in the snow and you really like the piano, if you're happy in the snow - clap your hands.

Nobody clapped. Welcome to I am Setsuna.

Have you ever wondered what Final Fantasy X would be like if Mount Gagazet (snow level) was the only place you'd be the whole game and every piece of music was played with the piano? Yeah, me neither, but apparently that's what the lads at Tokyo RPG Factory were asking themselves this entire time - so they made a game out of it.

Ok, all kidding aside, I just looked at pictures of Mount Gagzet and that shit is uuuugly. I am Setsuna is not, it's quite beautiful honestly, but the distinct lack of any type of other environment besides snowy landscapes, snowy mountains and snowy caverns is a tad disappointing. Not for me though cause I fucking love snow. Not the Final Fantasy XIII character but the actual frozen white stuff I rarely get to see anymore because it never fucking snows in Vienna.

You might be wondering where this goes or if I just got sidetracked, well, to be perfectly honest with you my dear reader I am a little hungover, so pardon me if this seems a bit unfocused. Because it actually is.

Anyway, back to the game. The story is Final Fantasy X. Dude I shit you not, there is a girl called Setsuna who is a sacrifice who has to travel to some mountain super far away to essentially kill herself so the other shitbags in the country can stay happily ever after. Setsuna is a humble creature who only ever wants to see other people happy, also she's the white mage of the party.

Then there is this foreign dude who randomly gets to join Setsuna on her journey, they become really great allies and give you some sort of romantic vibes for 20h but never really say anything to each other because both are tone deaf japanese rpg characters.

Does that sound kinda familiar? YEAH WELL BECAUSE YOU PLAYED THE EXACT SAME THING 2002 ON YOUR PLAYSTATION 2.

There are also some of the most nonsensical plot holes I have encountered in a long time.

The gameplay on the other hand is awesome and introduces some great ideas to turn based combat. For example: You get different drops based on how you kill an enemy. This varies for the type of damage you use but there is also something called the ''exact kill'' which I found interesting.

It basically means that if an enemy has 120 HP but you damage it for say 140 HP, you won't get the exact kill. This makes for some fun quick maths on the spot and who doesn't like that.

In battle there is a Street Fighter-like bar you can rank up so you can super charge your attacks giving them more power and/or different abilities.

All in all combat just feels satisfying.

One thing that bugs me about the gameplay though is that the game never provides you with the knowledge on how to actually play it. I discovered really late into the story that you can use those super charged attacks for example because they never properly explained how to use them.

And it's not the charming Dark Soulsy way of not telling you everything, it's the I am Setsuna equivalent of hiding the fun part of the game.

Music is melodramatic but beautiful, so are the graphics. While it still doesn't lose its samey-ness, having the whole game being snowy while accompanied with piano music only, it manages to feel coherent in a way few other games do.

I'd give I am Setsuna a 6/10

Played on Nintendo Switch

J

Edited by Paleblood
  • Like 3

@Paleblood I've got it tough - I kinda want to buy Super Mario Party, but also tomorrow Velocity 2X and Life Goes On: Done To Death are released on Switch, which I've both played on PS4 already but which would be brilliant on the go.

I might just decide to do something about my SNES backlog, playing multiple games that are just a few hours long, so I can get everything I want

4 hours ago, Spawn said:

@Paleblood I've got it tough - I kinda want to buy Super Mario Party, but also tomorrow Velocity 2X and Life Goes On: Done To Death are released on Switch, which I've both played on PS4 already but which would be brilliant on the go.

I might just decide to do something about my SNES backlog, playing multiple games that are just a few hours long, so I can get everything I want

What games you play on the SNES?

Super Mario Party looks fun. Would you play it online or with your wife/friends? I'd like to get that too but spending 60 bucks on a game I'd only play occasionally on parties is a bit hard to justify.

51 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

What games you play on the SNES?

Wow, uhm... That's kind of a big question.

(points if you get the reference)

I play a lot of different stuff, the big guns like Zelda and Mario and Star Fox but also lesser known stuff like Astérix & Obélix and Jurassic Park and... You know what, let's just say I'll add my SNES and N64 games to my backlog post and you can read it all. I'm going to count all of my N64 games as backlog since I bought a working one recently (said this in the other thread but my first N64 died a couple of years ago) and it turned out I didn't have many of my games left, so I just rebought a bunch. For SNES, figuring out the backlog is more difficult since I fixed that collection two or three years ago and I've played a bunch since. Let's say it'll go on my backlog if I don't remember playing through it since I bought a SNES again.

Super Mario Party looks fun. Would you play it online or with your wife/friends? I'd like to get that too but spending 60 bucks on a game I'd only play occasionally on parties is a bit hard to justify.

My main reason for buying Nintendo Switch Online would be the classic games collection, and I downloaded that during the trial today and I didn't like it one bit. Guess having the real classic consoles at home, NES being 8-bit and the only thing on the service and Nintendo waiting a year and a half cured me from my wanting a Virtual Console experience on the Switch. Got enough good games I haven't actually played yet.

So I won't be buying Online, and as such I won't be playing online. I'd say I'd play with others but the tunes will probably be too happy-go-lucky for my wife and my brother-in-law isn't into the type of game, so if I'd buy it I'd probably mostly play on my own. Which isn't really the way I'm used ro playing Mario Party games, back in the N64 days I usually had others coming over to play a bunch of Party and Kart and Smash.

Oooh, and by the way,

On 18/09/2018 at 3:57 PM, Paleblood said:

I know that it changes the way the toilet paper roll is placed in the game. I just thought it was an in-joke from the developers over some arguement they probably had xD

Is there an actual story to it?

They did the paper the wrong way (under), and people complained. The devs trolled those complainers a bit with how ridiculous they were being, but in the end the option was actually added to the game.

On 18/09/2018 at 3:57 PM, Paleblood said:

Yeah but that exactly describes my problem. If you parody something I think the parody should be competent in the genre it makes fun of, i.e. Ransome being funny on some level to me.

Let's say you're making fun of a stereotypical annoying character. If the persiflage itself ends up being just as annoying as the source marterial with no redeeming quality to back it up, you failed. Big time.

And Ransome only being not funny isn't exactly the sort of thing I'd praise as the work of a satirical mastermind. But, y'know, different opinions xD.

I think the idea of a circus clown doing his act like an insult comic is inherently funny. I also thought the character was funny a lot of the times, just not when he actually tries being funny :)

• Like 1

And I am back with an update (finally): Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders and Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness have been vanquished.

Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders

Time: 5 hrs

Fun: so-so

Recommend: Depends

Have you ever wanted to be a posh English detective that is the best at what you do and everyone knows it? No? Well at least bare with it for a few hours to get this 100% complete. The game is a point-and-click adventure where you play as the world famous Hercule Periot from a book series that I have never read. The standard game components are all here; slow walking, multiple puzzles, a slow moving plot.

While I can't say it is the best game, it did manage to hold my attention for the duration of the investigation, though the ending is a bit on the nose of whodonit. One playthrough is all that is needed with two backups at certain points in the story, so it is simple enough to finish. The only thing that really bugs me is that this game has a small trophy list, but there are a bunch of in-game achievements to collect that could have resulted in a platinum. But oh well...yay to game number 21 being completed from the backlog.

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness

Time: 20 hrs

Fun: Interesting Story

Recommend: Yes

Welcome to a future where Japan has developed a 'perfect' society based on your 'Crime Coefficient' otherwise called your Psycho-Pass. The Psycho-Pass is used to determine an individuals mental health towards crime/good deeds with a handy law system that is tasked with keeping peace. These law keepers are broken between two groups, the Investigators whom have excellent Psycho-Passes and Enforcers, whom are latent criminals with no hope of a future or recovery back into normal society. They work together to keep the peace and ensure societies 'happiness'.

Into this craziness you play a story split between two playthroughs. The first, an amnesiac woman of a cold and calculating personality that just joined the team as a new Inspector. The second, a headstrong and impulsive man looking for the love of his life who has mysteriously dissapeared; and is given the chance to join the team as a new Enforcer.

Apart from the slightly confusing backstory, this visual novel brings an assortment of interesting characters and an alright storyline. What might get a bit tiresome is that the story is basically the same for each character, with minor variances depending on if you are on the path to a 'True End' or have triggered a 'Route Change'. The end result also changes accordingly to what route you are on. While this makes it the most variable visual novel I have played in terms of choices affecting the story, it does make the multiple playthroughs a bit hard to stomach. Which is why I took a little over a month break between the characters.

But in regards to the story and outcome, I would have to give the game a solid recommendation for at least one playthrough.

• Like 1

Well @Paleblood, I added the SNES and N64 games to my post.

Here's the list:

Spoiler

SNES

Astérix & Obélix

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!

Earthworm Jim

F-Zero

Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park Part 2: The Chaos Continues

The Jungle Book

The Lion King

Starwing (Star Fox as it was called in the PAL region)

Super Castlevania IV

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels

Super Mario Bros. 3

N64

Aero Gauge

Banjo-Kazooie

Body Harvest

Diddy Kong Racing

Donkey Kong 64

F-Zero X

Hydro Thunder

Goldeneye 007

Jet Force Gemini

The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

Lylat Wars

Mario Kart 64

PilotWings 64

Pokémon Snap

Star Wars: Episode I Racer

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire

Super Mario 64

Turok 2: Seeds Of Evil

Yoshi's Story

For the SNES, as said, I didn't mention games I've played since rebuying a SNES two years ago, like Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Kart or Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!. Of the 14 remaining titles, I've never actually finished half. Of that half,only DKC3 and Earthworm Jim are games I have hardly played at all.

For the N64, I'm just counting everyrhing I have right now. Might buy a few more titles at some point since this is also about having a retro collection for me (and shame I sold my collection when I was a poor student), I likely won't count it for this event. Of the N64 list, there's only three games I never saw the end of, and of those three, Yoshi's Story is the only one I never really played much.

58 minutes ago, Asvinia said:

Hey guys just to be sure, when I finish the story of AC: Origins, that'll be 1 point. Do the platinum and 100% count as a partial point each or is it just 1 partial point for the 100%?

Don't want to be fiddling the system lol

Personally I've been using the method of one game beaten (plat or 100%) equals one point. But that is just me lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asvinia said:

Hey guys just to be sure, when I finish the story of AC: Origins, that'll be 1 point. Do the platinum and 100% count as a partial point each or is it just 1 partial point for the 100%?

Don't want to be fiddling the system lol

Everyone kind of has their own system for stuff not outlined in the main post. I would say you get a partial point for both, as long as there's at least 1 trophy between getting the plat and getting 100%. For a game like AC Origins, you should definitely count both plat and 100% as separate. Looks like there's a lot of DLC.

Finished the story!

L16141a.png

... And boy, did I dislike this game!

People have been praising this back in the day as the indie GOTY but I really don't see it. I guess it's impressive it's mostly been made by one guy but so was Stardew Valley and that one's much more competent and entertaining.

Basically, this is a button mashing game - the game's original thought is having a support character attack and a main character attack combine for a devastating attack, which in the end means you're mashing both circle and triangle for 90% of the game. Really, that and walking is all you need to do at this point. People have said it's a lite MetroidVania but that's simply not true, the game consists of very linear levels with some secret side passages that you can get to with later upgrades. But if that's a MetroidVania, than Super Mario World is a MetroidVania as well. Add to that that the animation and voices and characterisation and writing are absurd to the point of becoming caricatures of themselves, and a final boss that's completely out of tune with the difficulty curve of the rest of the game, requiring you to either go to a lower difficulty or go back and grind for hoirs, and what you end up with is a to me very annoying game of which I can't see how it's gotten such great reviews. Did nobody play past the first stage or something?

I'm glad I have this done. I did some side trophies that I missed afterwards, and I've deleted the game now, I won't be going back to it soon, probably never will go back at all.

• Like 1

@BlazzingWind Thanks for the review on Psycho Pass. I was mildly interested, now I know that I will definitely play it someday.

@Spawn Man I can see where you're coming from. I bought this game on Xbox 360 back when it first came out and liked it a lot. Years later as it was offered on PS+ I was excited to play it again but couldn't even hang in there for 2 hours. This game is just button mashing galore, as you mentioned, and to me one of the ugliest and most unsatisfying games to play. I can't comprehend at all what I liked about it.

Everything feels off or looks like shit to me.

Well, Velocity 2X is apparently on a launch sale on Switch, so €16 for the complete game (which costs €21 on PSN including €5 for the DLCs, or €25 if you buy it as the Critical Mass edition). Seeing as Futurlab has publicly said they need people to buy Velocity 2X on Switch because Velocity 2X launching on PS+ meant that not many people actively bought it and apparently that's the main statistic publishers look at... And since I loved playing Velocity 2X four years ago on PS4 and think it would be perfect on handheld, I decided to buy it.

I'm still thinking about Life Goes On: Done To Death, which would have been an instabuy if I had played it on PS4 years ago too instead of last month. I'll focus on The Messenger and West Of Loathing for now.

Went and traded in some stuff and picked up TMNT Mutants in Manhattan a couple days ago. I wanted something that wasn't an RPG. That's basically all I have left on my PS3 backlog, and I've been playing a lot of them recently, so I wanted a break. Unfortunately, I already beat it. I had heard it was short, but I wasn't expecting like 3 hours short. I can totally see what they were going for though. They were going for a modern version of multiplayer beat-em-ups from the days of the arcade/SNES era. Like Turtles in Time. And they absolutely succeeded. It would be a great game for a middle school or high school kid to play with friends at a sleepover or after school. As a single player game though, it's pretty lack luster. The AI isn't terrible, but it's not especially good, and it can get frustrating with some of the co-op tasks. The damage is also designed with 4 players. So when you're alone, and all of the other turtles are fighting something else, you just barely chip away at enemies. But when everyone is together, you just demolish enemies. It's a game that really needs to be played multiplayer. 

Anyway, as much as I didn't want to use all of my points, I didn't get the break I needed from playing TMNT. So I returned it and used the last of my points to get Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. I've heard it's good, but I've never played any of them. So I figured it'd be a nice change of pace.

• Like 1

L86b5aa.png

Assassin's Creed: Origins

Finished the story, just need to clean up some misc trophies before I get the plat and move on to the DLC.

Loved the game the whole way through, did everything as I went and enjoyed every minute. Until the end. The ending was such a disappointment I'm still sat here, minutes after finishing the game, still feeling that fresh wave of 'Wat?'.

The thing that ruins games, or sequences in games for me, is when they strip you of your main character and give you this shitty side character that you don't care about. Nothing breaks immersion and nothing pisses me off more in games than being unable to use the main character that I've been building up the entire game. "Here, we're gonna strip you of the character, skills, abilities and equipment that you've been building and make you play as this character you don't care about, who conveniently has shitty abilities so we don't have to make a more interesting final battle." Aya and Layla were terrible too, instead of 'strong woman' that they're obviously trying to portray, they're just moody and bitchy for no reason. Aya was okay until the last portion when she went from human and likeable to having all these chances to be what she wanted and she just threw it away because I dunno, she's strong, independent and don't need no man, I guess.

I like Bayek as a character, and I think he'll probably stay among my favourites. You can see him really develop and I think they did a really good job with him. You can see his quest start out as wanting revenge, but as you progress, you can see he begins to question himself and whether or not what he is doing is right. He clearly wants to avenge his son, be done with it, and settle down and be a family man again, and would've been quite happy to do so if Aya had wanted that too. Someway through the game he seems to realize that these people he's killing aren't always so different from himself, but by the time he realizes this, he's in too deep and the only path forward he sees is to keep going.

The ending felt very rushed. Like they'd forgotten that it was an AC game and hurriedly put together a cutscene of Bayek and friends jumping over roofs just to let us know that we've totally become the Assassin's now guys. I also quite liked the apparent little nod to Ezio, with the boy Esiocles (Esio) who loves watching you jump from high places.

I enjoyed it so much that Odyssey might be my first day one buy in a long time.

• Like 1

So the year is almost over but I just found this today so I'm gonna join in and get a jump on my backlog!

My Stats

New Game Count: 1 Point(s) (2/3 Plats/100%)

Currently Playing:

• PS4: 
  • PS3: Devil May Cry 2
  • Vita: 
  • PC: 
  • Nintendo: Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

Games Finished: 7

Spoiler
  • Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)
  • LISA (PC)
  • West of Loathing (PC)
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
  • Negligee (PC)
  • CHAOS;CHILD (PS Vita)
  • VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action (PS Vita)

Games Bought: 2

Spoiler
  • Corpse Party: Blood Drive
  • Spyro Reignited Trilogy

My Backlog (7/231) - 3%

https://backloggery.com/sonnyd

Edited by SonneeD
  • Like 2