Backlog Anonymous - The event to end all backloggery (Year 1)

2 hours ago, Paleblood said:

Ok guys, give me all the dirty numbers.

How much games has each of you finished? I will update the Top 10 accordingly.

Oh and if you cracked a milestone and earned a badge please tell me too, I'll send it to you asap.

J

Hey! Nice to read you.

I'm at 14 completed games, now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paleblood said:

Oh and if you cracked a milestone and earned a badge please tell me too, I'll send it to you asap.

J

I honestly can't remember. Possibly 9 or 10.

4 hours ago, Paleblood said:

J

19 so far, I have no idea what to go for next though

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-06.jpg

• Played on Hard
  • Took me 20h to finish
  • Bought it for 69.99€ but returned it immediately afterwards

I guess you might be wondering why I returned the game? Well, it has nothing to do with the game, I liked it and I will explain ''why'' in a second. I returned it because I still had it pre-ordered on Amazon. But since Amazon can't be bothered to provide basic customer service when needed I thought ''fuck em'' and just played through the whole game and returned it. Having spent 0 Cent on it basically.

I'll still take the full 3 point hit, in case you're wondering.

So what's up with Lara's final chapter of the prequel trilogy, which is a reboot... so it's the end of the beginning of a new story we don't know yet? Is that how prequels work?

Who am I kidding? If you really care, like properly care, about this story you seriously need to play some good videogames.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad like old milk is bad but is so fucking nonsensical and overly dramatic most of the time that it just overall feels videogamey, in lack of a better adjective.

While Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a massive step-up from the previous titles storywise it's still not as dense as say Alan Wake, let alone the story giants like The Last of Us and such.

Gameplay is mostly the same but has had a few things tweaked for the better. You also got to keep most of the upgrades from the last game, which is always a nice thing.

Stealth fells better than ever and the bow is fucking amazing to use. Firearms still feel a bit wonky but they are not too bad.

That's about it, it's same old same old in a mostly positive way,

Technically though this game is nearly a masterpiece. I played it on Xbox One X on a 4K HDR TV - and it was magical.

Vivid jungle areas, beautiful underwater caverns, stunning views you name it. All brought to life by the stellar HDR implementation.

If you own this set up, or at least a PS4 Pro with a good TV then treat yourself. This is a gorgeous game.

The only caveat are the few framedrops in between but they are not too severe and since it's been over a month now, it's hopefully patched up to deliver an even better experience.

I tried not to go in with too much detail but it already got long enough so I'm ending it here.

Overall I think this is by far the best entry in the Prequel Trilogy and deserves a recommendation.

I'd give Shadow of the Tomb Raider a 7/10. Almost an 8. Almost.

Played on Xbox One X

J

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paleblood said:

J

I'm up to 35. I'll be there for a while though. Going to be playing The World Ends With You for a looooong time, haha.

I also wanted to get people's opinions on something. Borrowing games. A friend of mine has offered to let me borrow some of their Switch games. I'm just not sure how to calculate it in the backlog.

On one hand, it's a new game I'm putting on my backlog, so I think maybe it should be like any other game and be -3 points. 

On the other hand, I'm not paying for them, I'm just going to be taking whatever he gives me so I'm not going to be freely choosing them, and may not be able to beat them in the time I'll have them. Which if that happens, it'll just sit on my backlog until I can buy it and finish it. So I think maybe it should treat it like a gifted game and do -1 point instead.

On the other other hand, maybe I should do -2 instead. That way I can't just freely play them one after another. I have to at least beat one other game first.

49 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

I also wanted to get people's opinions on something. Borrowing games. ...

Easiest solition would be not counting them at all. Not for your backlog and not for your completed games.

Or if you still want them on on your completion list count them -1 if you start playing and +1 upon completion. So it would be neutral on your new game count.

• Like 1

L7957f1.png

Finished the campaign on Aven Colony and just have a few trophies left to clean up for the plat that I'll probably do tomorrow.

Pretty good game though a little simple. I think a better choice for me would've been Cities: Skylines as it seems to have more depth and more things to look out for. In Aven Colony, your colonists are never happy, even if you supply them with tons of varied food, build bistros to increase the food quality, keep the air clean, supply loads of housing, jobs, shopping centers and arcades, keep crime low and supply loads of drugs they still cry about something. It's almost impossible to reach 90% happiness without the Unity Artifact.

The story was one I've heard before somewhere (pretty sure it was a 4chan greentext) and is a bit of a twist if you haven't already heard it.

It's an okay city-type builder but would probably be more fitting as an entry point to these types of games. There's nothing too deep here and at points it just felt needlessly time consuming even when you ramped it up to x8 speed. Probably not something I'd play again but not something I entirely regret wasting my time with.

Edited by Asvinia
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Paleblood said:

J

I am still standing at 22 games beaten, really been slow tearing away at Tomb Raider for the online lvl progression. Hoping that with the slow season coming up, I will have time to beat some of my other games like Dragon Fantasy Book 1 and AC4

Glad to see you back!

12 hours ago, Paleblood said:

J

Hey! It's great to see you back! I'm sorry to hear about your job, they obviously don't know what they're supposed to be doing! 

Anyway, I've been a busy beaver with the games I've done. I've done 5 games which brings my total of games completed up to 8 (I think) which brings my points back to 2! I'm now on the Xbox for a bit so I think I'm going to dig into Dead Rising 4, Alan Wake and maybe a bit of Impact Winter :). I'll do a big update tomorrow as I'm shattered from a 12 hour shift today.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paleblood said:

J

22 Games on Trophy hunter mode for me :) 

18 hours ago, Paleblood said:

J

I'm at 24 games completed now. Granted, I just picked up a couple of VR games from the sale, but I intend to play these casually anyways (like I do for pretty much all of my VR games) so long term, it doesn't really affect the backlog that much IMO. It just gives me something to play with in between games or when I am tired and need something new. I guess having a different gaming experience with VR is refreshing from trying to beat a difficult game or grinding out levels on an RPG, etc. I've always called myself a semi-casual when I trophy hunt because I pretty much just pick and choose my games based on time, difficulty, etc. Then other times, I just pop in a game and go.

• Like 1

Finished the story!

L4544d2.png

I finished chapters eight, nine and the epilogue last night, which went over pretty quickly considering how big chapter seven was. I'll get the platinum at some point but I want to focus on some unfinished stories too.

All in all, great game. It's an improvement upon almost everything in the series, and I love to see what they do next time.

To anyone who still has to start: with as few spoilers as possible, unless you really don't want to play as a woman, pick Kassandra. There's several things in the main game and some side stuff that makes much more sense when the main character is a woman. Looking back, it seems obvious that Ubisoft just didn't have the guts to stick with a sole female protagonist and that's why they decided to give players a choice and put focus on Alexios in advertising, but playing the game shows a bunch of things that make less sense when you would be playing as a man.

@Paleblood we established I was at 15 titles in the first run and counting the list in my new first post seems like it contains 31 different titles, so I would be at 46 titles at this point.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, AshestoAshes28 said:

I'm now on the Xbox for a bit so I think I'm going to dig into Dead Rising 4, Alan Wake and maybe a bit of Impact Winter :). I'll do a big update tomorrow as I'm shattered from a 12 hour shift today.

What a coincidence... my girlfriend and I have started Alan Wake two days ago! Never seen someone here talk about it before. Is it your first playthrough?

Because I already finished it back when it came out 8 years ago, now Lisa is playing and I love watching this game again.

It's even better then I remembered it and the graphics look awesome for a game from 2010!

J

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paleblood said:

What a coincidence... my girlfriend and I have started Alan Wake two days ago! Never seen someone here talk about it before. Is it your first playthrough?

Because I already finished it back when it came out 8 years ago, now Lisa is playing and I love watching this game again.

It's even better then I remembered it and the graphics look awesome for a game from 2010!

J

That is a coincidence! I have played it before but that was a VERY long time ago so I can't remember anything about it so if you look at it like that, it will be my first playthrough :P

I see that quite a lot these days as well. I played a game the other week, I think it was Mafia 2 and I was stunned when I looked at when it came out at how great it looks! It's the same with the Tomb Raider Trilogy as well, I remember that looked quite great for its age.

By the way, I hope you don't mind me asking, but would you like to add me on Xbox as I could have some games that I could help you with and it would be nice to have a friendly face on there from here as there aren't many Xbox players on here.

1 hour ago, AshestoAshes28 said:

That is a coincidence! I have played it before but that was a VERY long time ago so I can't remember anything about it so if you look at it like that, it will be my first playthrough :P

I see that quite a lot these days as well. I played a game the other week, I think it was Mafia 2 and I was stunned when I looked at when it came out at how great it looks! It's the same with the Tomb Raider Trilogy as well, I remember that looked quite great for its age.

By the way, I hope you don't mind me asking, but would you like to add me on Xbox as I could have some games that I could help you with and it would be nice to have a friendly face on there from here as there aren't many Xbox players on here.

Go ahead add me. My Gamertag is Paleblood Sage ;)

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 10:27 AM, Moosbert said:

Easiest solition would be not counting them at all. Not for your backlog and not for your completed games.

Or if you still want them on on your completion list count them -1 if you start playing and +1 upon completion. So it would be neutral on your new game count.

You're right, that would be the easiest solution, but the more I think about it, the more it feels too much like a loophole to me. I could just start bugging my friends to let me borrow games when they're done with them so that I wouldn't have to add them to my backlog. I know I'd definitely be at least tempted to do that.

Especially in the next couple of months, because I don't have enough points to get anything else right now, and also because I'm not planning on getting another Switch game until Smash in December, and I'm going to want to play more games on my Switch. All the while keeping at least 3 points for when Smash comes out.

So after thinking about it some more, I'm going to do -2 points. That way it's 1 game on my current backlog out for each one I borrow. Which will keep me from abusing it super hard, but still feels fair.

• Like 3

Mini update from me today :) Still working on AC 2 for monthly madness, I've just finished chapter 7 and have unlocked the last areas of Venice, tonight I'll run around and collect the last feathers I need (untracked collectibles are the worst) before smashing through the rest of the story. Hopefully be done by the weekend but we will see.

I've got back into Rayman Legends since I've almost finished that too, I currently need 1100 points to hit the last level and be done with this game forever. That works out at about 50 days at my current pace (sigh). I really enjoyed this game right up until this long long daily grind.

Guitar Hero will be the next major focus after AC 2 with the servers closing in December. It will be tight but I think I'll make it, may have to go the hand mixer method at the end though

• Like 3

Guys are doing great. Me not so at the moment. Work is taking most of my time ?. Was playing Broken Age last week and when reached the end it became clear I forgot to save teh solution of some puzzles in a save place. Being an oldskool game it is unforgiven. Anyway, will mop up some trophies during my speedrun.

I also thought I would be done with Strange Brigade but it is a grind to get enough gold and a last gem to get the platinum. Why are some developers putting in so much grinding into game...?

• Like 3

Bought a game!

H2x1_NSwitchDS_CaveStoryPlus_image1600w.

Nicalis started an autumn sale, with most of the games they've published in it. Bought Cave Story+ myself. It's been said that it's an amazing game and it's up my alley as a hard action-platformer but no way I was going to pay €30 for a decade old game that wouldn't even last me eight hours. €15 sounds fine (it hadn't been under €25 yet but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bought it at €20).

I could've bought more but I figured with Halloween and Black Friday sales around the corner, and loads of games still in my backlog, one game was enough for now.

• Like 3

308bod1.jpg

Finally finished Strange Brigade. The word 'finally' doesn't do the game any justice. It was a nice ride (apart from some gold grinding). Strange brigade can be played as a single player or as a multi player(up to 4 players). Whatever you choose both are great. It is a good balanced game, nice graphics (well at least the style I like) and the narrator of the game is quite funny. If you for instance use a cannon he says 'masters of stealth, the strange brigade' with a very English accent.  If you like shooters, like killing hordes, like to play with your buddies than this is an excellent game.

That is the first PS4 game finished from my backlog list ?. Hopefully I can work on some others too before RDR2 hits my hard disk.

Edited by gladiatorrrrrrr
  • Like 4

Another game done, that makes it 20:

Lfe7dc3.png

I don't know how this game got on my backlog, probably a ps+ game from a while ago but I enjoyed it, pretty easy to finish too and therefor a perfect game to kick off the backlog, basically it's a FPS and you're in some kind of tower with lots of canons shooting at you,... Pretty basic all of this but fun nevertheless. None off the trophies was particulary hard and so it's astounishing that this game has Ultra Rare trophies. The only downside I saw was that there are trophies for playing a lot (one for playing 100 times), seeing I had done everything there was to do after 35 runs that was a little bit ennoying but hey, it was needed to 100% this.

• Like 3

Got the 100% for Aven Colony. Going to plug my PS3 in again and start working on that backlog like I should've been doing for the PS3 backlog event I joined ages ago. I feel really guilty for not having played it for a while lol

Edit: spacer.pngL9d663e.png

I started this when I turned my PS3 on. "How can it be as bad as people say?" I thought. After all, Digimon Rumble Arena on the PS1 was loads of fun, and this is on the PS3, surely it's an upgrade. Hahahaha no. Compared to Digimon Rumble Arena, this game is garbage. It's unresponsive and your opponents will just kick the shit out of you as soon as you recover from having the previous load of shit violently removed from your body. Their invincibility window seems to be a lot longer than yours, and they always make sure to be chaining those attacks to hit you just as yours ends. It looks like shit and it plays even worse.

Edited by Asvinia
  • Like 4