Backlog Anonymous - The event to end all backloggery (Year 1)

Finished one playthrough!

Lca7015.png

So, just in case it isn't obvious yet, I played through Burly Men At Sea once.

For those who haven't played it: it's on PS+, it's fun, and even though one playthrough is quite short, you won't get everything done in one go, as me trophying 5 out of 25 achievements *cough* achieving 5 out of 25 trophies will tell you.

I don't want to spoil, so I'd rather say too little than too much. It's safe to say that you'll find out very quickly that doing some stuff will lock you out of some other stuff.

I really enjoyed the game. The graphics are simplistic but nice, the music is catchy, and the game doesn't overstay its welcome by a long shot. I liked the idea behind the story too, as well as the conclusion and the humour.

On 06/11/2018 at 8:53 AM, gladiatorrrrrrr said:

it is always the fourth Friday of November, so this year 23 November

Good job on HITMAN! I always loved HITMAN but the episode thing didn't catch me. I bought the game but never got it finished. I didn't even put it on my backlog list. But after your review (good one!) I might re-think this.

I also saw a news flash that they requested PEGI ratings for Hitman Absolution and Hitman Blood Money. Two older games that might get a remastered. Loved those two as they had a real story.

Thanks. I'm from Europe so I tend to forget the exact dates of these kind of holidays, but the stores here did participate pretty well in Black Friday last year.

Definitely give HITMAN (2016) a try if you enjoy the premise, I'd say. It's long finished now too so it isn't really episodic any more either, just divided into different locations.

I bought Blood Money on X360 and got Absolution on GwG there, and actually tried Codename 47 on PC back when it was first released, but none of them have reeled me in, I've spent one hour tops on any of them. Bought the 2016 complete or goty or whatever edition early this year on a sale after being pleased by the tutorial, and it became the first Hitman game I've played through to the end. I'd call myself a fan now and I've been looking forward to 2 since it was revealed, but I don't know if any of the older games would now appeal to me more if I tried them again. If they come to PS4, I'm probably buying them eventually though.

2 hours ago, AshestoAshes28 said:

Ld8fb6b.png

- Enjoyment: 10/10

Said this on your feed too but I really enjoyed Celeste, and I'd group it with Shovel Knight and The Messenger as really great retro platformers with surprisingly well developed stories and which show that just because a dev makes a game with bit graphics and music, that doesn't mean it needs to be ugly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, iLL-Mortick said:

But before I start, can someone tell me how to make "hidden contents" ? So the list wont flood the thread.

In a new post, it's a matter of clicking on the eye button at the top of the post.

While editing old posts, I don't think the option is there to add new ones just by clicking a button, but you can type this around the post:

(spoiler)

(/spoiler)

only with [...] instead of (...).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

In a new post, it's a matter of clicking on the eye button at the top of the post.

While editing old posts, I don't think the option is there to add new ones just by clicking a button, but you can type this around the post:

(spoiler)

(/spoiler)

only with [...] instead of (...).

Nice, thank you kindly!

2 hours ago, iLL-Mortick said:

Thank you! Hopefully this event will minimize it.

Was thinking of going Trophy Hunter Mode, but seeing as started games doesn´t count I´ll stick to Pale Mode hehe

they do in a way. I think the rules are more guidelines, at least that is how I see it. Bottom-line is that we want to minimize our backlog list. I count started and new games. So when I finish (or platinum) a started game I give myself 1 point, if is start from scratch also 1 point. Personally I don't make difference between 100%/Plat/etc. If I finish a game it is 1 point.

Edited by gladiatorrrrrrr
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, gladiatorrrrrrr said:

they do in a way. I think the rules are more guidelines, at least that is how I see it. Bottom-line is that we want to minimize our backlog list. I count started and new games. So when I finish (or platinum) a started game I give myself 1 point, if is start from scratch also 1 point. Personally I don't make difference between 100%/Plat/etc. If I finish a game it is 1 point.

Ahh I see, I think I´ll do that and count started games as well then. Thanks for the heads up bud!

20 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Said this on your feed too but I really enjoyed Celeste, and I'd group it with Shovel Knight and The Messenger as really great retro platformers with surprisingly well developed stories and which show that just because a dev makes a game with bit graphics and music, that doesn't mean it needs to be ugly.

You know what, I've got a massive soft spot for any game that's like these as they feel more loved than the typical AAA game, if you get what I mean, and I also love to show my support because their games are always accessible to gamers in lots of different ways.

Also, while I have you tagged, I've started HITMAN and it is absolutely brilliant! :D I've only played the first part and I'm now starting Paris but I'm loving it so far! The characters are amazingly realistic and I love the different level designs.

2 minutes ago, AshestoAshes28 said:

You know what, I've got a massive soft spot for any game that's like these as they feel more loved than the typical AAA game, if you get what I mean, and I also love to show my support because their games are always accessible to gamers in lots of different ways.

I absolutely understand. I think I've basically stopped playing AAA games save for Nintendo stuff, Ubisoft and a rare few other exceptions. AAAs got the money, but the bigger the project, the more hands that need to touch it, and the less personal it seems. Things like Stardew Valley and Wandersong are obviously projects of love.

Also, while I have you tagged, I've started HITMAN and it is absolutely brilliant! :D I've only played the first part and I'm now starting Paris but I'm loving it so far! The characters are amazingly realistic and I love the different level designs.

Nice to hear you liked the tutorial! Remember that some opportunities might be a lot simpler once you gained some mastery and added new gear to your set-up. If something seems to hard, look for a different option, because something is usually around.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

I absolutely understand. I think I've basically stopped playing AAA games save for Nintendo stuff, Ubisoft and a rare few other exceptions. AAAs got the money, but the bigger the project, the more hands that need to touch it, and the less personal it seems. Things like Stardew Valley and Wandersong are obviously projects of love.

You've just said what I was trying to say but I couldn't find the words ?. I have so much love for Stardew Valley it's unreal. I love that game so much and I have invested so many hours and supported the hell out of that game and I'm really looking forward to the Multiplayer Update as that is just another example of a labor of love. Wandersong is on my list and it will be brought when I've got enough points and I've got the money :). I really want Moonlighter as well as that game looks absolutely beautiful on the Switch. 

43 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

Nice to hear you liked the tutorial! Remember that some opportunities might be a lot simpler once you gained some mastery and added new gear to your set-up. If something seems to hard, look for a different option, because something is usually around

I've got my eye on the second one now so I'll be getting that when my backlogs gone down a bit. I like the fact that you have all of these different opportunities as I feel it helps to open up the game a lot more. Anyway, I'm looking forward to diving deeper into it :).

Edited by AshestoAshes28

You've just said what I was trying to say but I couldn't find the words ?. I have so much love for Stardew Valley it's unreal. I love that game so much and I have invested so many hours and supported the hell out of that game and I'm really looking forward to the Multiplayer Update as that is just another example of a labor of love. Wandersong is on my list and it will be brought when I've got enough points and I've got the money :). I really want Moonlighter as well as that game looks absolutely beautiful on the Switch. 

Wandersong is one of the games I'm playing through now. Beware, it's a nice game, but it's more of a game to play an hour of in between other stuff than to canonball on its own, at least it is to me. It's very gameplay-lite, and its story is super sweet, which makes it ideal for me to play a bit of every now and then, but it's not a "need to play more" game like The Messenger was for me, or Stardew Valley for the first sixty hours.

I've got my eye on the second one now so I'll be getting that when my backlogs gone down a bit. I like the fact that you have all of these different opportunities as I feel it helps to open up the game a lot more. Anyway, I'm looking forward to diving deeper into it :).

Pro tip: Hitman 2 contains all of Hitman 1 remastered, and free of charge if you own the first game. So if you still enjoy it a lot after Paris, you might just want to buy the second game and play the first game remastered right away. Then if you're a completionist you could always go back to the original after the rest of your backlog.

Good to see another person joining the fray, the more the merrier!

Little Dragons Café is fun, though I can see how people could describe it as repetitive. Everything is cute though and the art design is great. There tends to be frame rate issues, pop in and texture distortions sometimes. It's not as polished as it could've been. I'm a little concerned about getting all the recipes as it seems there's no confirmed way to unlock them.

• Like 2

Will be updating my original post in a little bit but will do the text bit now.

First things first I've got a new completion point :) 

Kingdom_Hearts_II_Final_Mix_Logo_KHIIFM.png

Kingdom Hearts 2 was one of my favorite games when I was younger so I was very keen to come back to it.It has aged surprisingly well and the additions to the final mix version were all really great. I played on critical difficulty which was a good choice as it was all doable at that level and gave a nice challenge. It was nice having to learn the fights rather than  just mash X!

I bought a new game today though so that point and a couple more are gone now. I picked up Assassin's creed Odyssey I've been holding out until I finished KH2 so it felt like a good time today.

I have also added a couple of games from PS+, Burly Men at Sea and Yakuza Kiwami, planning to get to both of them asap

hope you all have a good weekend

• Like 4

Finished the story!

header.jpg?t=1541082771

Managed to redo the story of Hitman 1 in the Legacy packs last Friday, then finished the story of Hitman 2 over the three days after that. Mostly Saturday, as I had other stuff on Sunday and it only took two hours on Monday to do the remaining story bit.

I really enjoyed playing through Hitman 2, even more than I enjoyed Hitman 1, probably because I better understand the gameplay now, how I am intended to play. It's also more polished, with bigger and more varied maps.

I've written a bunch of posts on the game in the past few days so if you want to know something specific, just give a shout, or see if I've already said something on it in the KYC event.

Bought a game!

header.jpg?t=1534292299

There's a bunch of games on sale on the Switch, amongst which was Pool Panic, which I've been semi interested in since finding out about it somewhere around February. Having enough to play and it getting a mixed reception were boundaries that were hard to cross for me, but since it's just over €8 now, since the big long AAA games I wanted to play this year are either behind me or titles I'm not interested in any more, and since I enjoyed other leaps of faith I took on games released after Pool Panic like The Messenger and West Of Loathing and Yoku's Island Express and Wandersong... I just decided to jump in.

• Like 3

Burly Men At Sea achieved as platinum/completed game #2

Relatively short game, 12 different endings but quick. 

Thought it would be a very tedious trash game but was very good for a side-scroller and not to mention free.

Hopefully I´ll manage to finish MW2 either today or tomorrow!

• Like 2

I haven't finished Little Dragons Café yet but I feel the need to air my view on it and my concerns with it going forward, also to serve as maybe a minor warning if anyone else plans to pick it up. I'm only about halfway through the story but I feel I have enough of a grip on the game to talk about it with a little relevance.

To sum up; LDC is a café management sim. Your mother is ill and some old dude appears in her bedroom and tells you that running the cafe and raising this dragon will help save her. Sure, whatever. The gameplay involves you going out and hunting for recipe ingredients, going home and cooking the recipe with those ingredients and adding it to your café menu while also helping to manage the café. You can help manage the café by taking orders, serving food and putting the dirty dishes in the sink. Your staff will slack off and it's also your job to tell them to get back to work. To begin with the game is a lot of fun, even if the controls are a little weird and the textures glitch all over the place.

Issue 1: You will never collect enough ingredients to run your café very well. Again, this is not a problem to begin with. Maybe it's a mechanic to get you to try and switch up your menu more often and I'm just playing the game wrong. Say you have 3 dishes that involve Soy Sauce on your menu. There seems to be about 3 'waves' of customers that visit your cafe every day. After every chapter more people will start visiting your cafe. In those waves of people, they might order 5 things that include Soy Sauce. So that's at least 15 Soy Sauce you need for the day. The nearest node contains 3-4 Soy Sauce a day and there's no map or anything to keep notes of any more nodes that supply it.

Issue 2: There are too many ingredients to run your menu with. Referring to my above point, there are a lot of ingredients in this game. The more important one are a lot further away from home, so you have to spend more time gathering them, which means you can't gather the nearer ingredients for the rest of your menu. You can't stay away from your cafe for too long because your staff will start slacking too much and you'll go home to a wave of angry customers storming out of your cafe. Resources are simply spread too thin. So you can maybe gather 3-4 Soy Sauce, but create something that requires Cream Sauce instead to free up some Soy. The problem with that though is that the node that supplies Cream Sauce is much further away and still only supplies 1-4 a day.

Issue 3: Your staff slacks just a little too much. You need to go out and collect ingredients because the game is nagging you that you're running out of something. You might be gone just an hour and you'll get a notification that your staff are slacking. You'll then return home to that wave of angry customers. Even if you decide not to go out and tend to the cafe all day, they will slack as often as possible. The chef is the worst for this. He'll start slacking between every 3-4 orders so you're wasting time constantly telling him to get back to work. When you're having 40ish customers streaming in/out, this is a little tedious and I imagine it's only going to get worse.

Issue 4: Not enough time in the day. You only get 2-3 hours in the morning to gather ingredients. I don't know how beneficial it is to tend to your cafe but you're lead to believe it's important, it's part of the main gameplay things right? Unless you skip sleep and go gather things at night, there's no way to gather enough, on top of that you will 100% get the 'Staff are slacking' alert during that time.

Petty Issue 5: NPCs take priority. When you're helping out in your cafe, taking orders and stuff, the NPCs are also doing the same. However, you cannot walk through them and you cannot push them. They will push you though. Multiple times I have been dragged across to the other side of the cafe because the NPC solidarity takes priority over player solidarity. This is particularly annoying when you're trying to get that last plate to clean to count toward your helping out total.

Petty Issue 6: Nothing seems to matter. Serving good things on your menu doesn't raise your reputation. Your reputation is tied to the story. There is a reputation bar that fills and displays an exclamation mark when the next story step will happen. If you're already on a story step, the bar will just stop until you complete it. There seems to be no consequence of just ignoring the cafe altogether or only serving low-ranked things.

It's a good game and I'm enjoying it, but there's just so many minor things that add up to make the game a lot less fun than it could be. Not having enough time to gather things, or having staff slack so often prevents you being able to properly enjoy everything the game has to offer because you're constantly being told that you need to go and manage something else. While you're gathering ingredients, you're being told your staff is slacking. If you tend to the cafe, you're told you're running out of ingredients. There's no balance between the two. Perhaps I'm playing the game wrong and I'll figure it out in another few hours. I don't really want to be able to completely ignore the cafe though because it's supposed to be part of the core mechanic.

• Like 3

Destiny-2-logo.jpg

Finished up Destiny 2.

I now completely understand why there was so much backlash for this game. In about 10 hours, I beat the story, did all the strikes, and hit max level. So, I did basically everything in 10 hours. That is just ridiculous for a game like Destiny. It's also functionally identical to the first game. No new mechanics were added, and many assets were reused. It could have easily been an expansion for Destiny 1.

That being said, overall it was okay. I'm definitely glad I got it for free though, otherwise I would pretty annoyed. It is definitely not enough content for a full priced game. Maybe okay for like $20, but definitely not full price.

Anyway, my friend let me borrow Super Mario Odyssey, so I'm off to play that. I'm already through the first 3 worlds, and it's pretty fun so far.

• Like 2