Recommended Games to Start PS3 Library

BriSnyScienceGuy

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a PS3 and building up a library of games for it. I've been using PS NOW for my PS3 game needs, but the lag is unbearable. I've already got a PS4, so I probably won't buy anything that's cross platform (i.e. The Last of Us). I'd also like to avoid games with unobtainable trophies. 

That being said, what should I buy?

Thanks,

God of War Saga

Mass Effect Trilogy

Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition

Bioshock Infinite Complete Edition

Fallout 3 GOTY

Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition

Spec Ops The Line

The Saboteur

Red Dead Redemption GOTY

The Sly Collection

Infamous 1 & 2

Ratchet and Clank Trilogy

Just to name a few. 

Metal Gear Solid 4

Puppeteer

Bayonetta

Dead Space 1+2

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time

Killzone 2 (although the Plat won't be available starting in March)

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Ni No Kuni

Infamous 1+2

I'd recommend more but those would be available on PS4. Happy hunting!

• Like 2

Katamari Forever

Burnout Paradise

Ridge Racer Unbounded

Grid 2

Gran Turismo 5

Lollipop Chainsaw

Kingdoms of Alamur: Reckoning 

Split/Second

Sniper Elite 3

Earth Defense Force 2025

[Prototype 2]

Singularity

Sniper Elite V2 Silver Edition

Ghostbusters: The Video Game (NOT the new one)

Birds of Steel

IL*2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

Sleeping Dogs

Red Faction: Guerrilla 

Heroes Over Europe

Damage Inc.

Red Faction: Armageddon

The Darkness 1&2

3D Dot Game Heroes

Ask a PS3 and PS4 Owner I'd say don't buy too many games for older gen console only buy as much as you can consume. I had my lesson learned hard way. So I will say only buy games that are truely PS3 Exclusive and with no remastered version exists for PS4. The most impressive PS3/X360 Exclusive would be "Red Dead Redemption GoTY" another one I'll suggest is "The Saboteur". I know you will say I won't be buying PS4 but trust me you may buy it in future when prices drop and when you buy PS4 you can play all those remasters in better quality and have overall better experience. I had a way better experience of Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on PS4. I know this advice is bit unconventional and not what you have asked for but I'm just putting up what I personally experienced. Have fun with your PS3.

PS: I still have my PS3 500 GB and I use it for playing games.

I advise these games that weren't ported and not going to be ported to the PS4 :

- Red Dead Redemption

- Demon's Souls

- Vanquish

- Metal Gear Solid 4

- Nier

- Max Payne 3

- Alice Madness Returns

- Tekken 6

- Deadly Premonition The Director's Cut

- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

- Infamous 1 & 2

- Burnout Paradise

Edited by Sigma999
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, PSXtreme_ said:

Katamari Forever

Burnout Paradise

Ridge Racer Unbounded

Grid 2

Gran Turismo 5

Lollipop Chainsaw

Kingdoms of Alamur: Reckoning 

Split/Second

Sniper Elite 3

Earth Defense Force 2025

[Prototype 2]

Singularity

Sniper Elite V2 Silver Edition

Ghostbusters: The Video Game (NOT the new one)

Birds of Steel

IL*2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

Sleeping Dogs

Red Faction: Guerrilla 

Heroes Over Europe

Damage Inc.

Red Faction: Armageddon

The Darkness 1&2

3D Dot Game Heroes

OP said none with unobtainable trophies. At a minimum that means Grand Turismo 5 and the original Ghostbusters are out. And Sleeping Dogs is available on PS4. RIF. 

OP, I read your request fully and the following games all have trophies (none of which are unobtainable) and are not available on the PS4. I would recommend:

Splatterhouse

Demon's Souls

Infamous 2( InFamous 1 is good too but them blast shards . . .)

Xcom: Enemy Unknown

Mass Effect 2

Hitman: Absolution

Spec Ops: The Line

Ride to Hell(this game sucks pretty hard core but I thought it was so bad it was good)

Kingdoms of Amalur

Ni no Kuni

Edited by Bullstomp

@Sigma999 has a good list, you might wanna priorities Demons Souls.  There's a 1/200 drop rate item in Demons Souls that comes from a mob that spawns once per world, assuming its around a minute per kill that would mean you're basically running in circles for over three hours not knowing when you'll get the drop. If you're online someone can drop it (pure bladestone) for you and save you the hassle.

Edited by AlchemyAwesome
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

OP said none with unobtainable trophies. At a minimum that means Grand Turismo 5 and the original Ghostbusters are out. And Sleeping Dogs is available on PS4. 

OP should then just forget about the PS3 entirely then. The majority of the servers will be shutting down within the next year or so.

and for the rest of your little poke...

Image result for internet nazi

21 hours ago, AlchemyAwesome said:

@Sigma999 has a good list, you might wanna priorities Demons Souls.  There's a 1/200 drop rate item in Demons Souls that comes from a mob that spawns once per world, assuming its around a minute per kill that would mean you're basically running in circles for over three hours not knowing when you'll get the drop. If you're online someone can drop it (pure bladestone) for you and save you the hassle.

Too bad that Demon's Souls closea the servers this end of February . I don't see myself going back to Demon soon tho . I still haven't got the plat .

22 minutes ago, Sigma999 said:

Too bad that Demon's Souls closea the servers this end of February . I don't see myself going back to Demon soon tho . I still haven't got the plat .

Just get someone to drop you a pure bladestone and a pure darkmoonstone and that saves huge grind ;_: if you get those trophies you save like 30% of the platinum time if not more, it sucks if 30% of playing the game is running in circles lol

those two trophies I REALLY would recommend getting if you ever do want to platinum it when servers go offline, rest aren't really sped up by online (unless you wanna drop every single weapon or ring in the game...)  maybe my rng with darkmoonstone was just bad, but average luck will take you like 5 hours to get pure bladestone

Edited by AlchemyAwesome

22 minutes ago, AlchemyAwesome said:

Just get someone to drop you a pure bladestone and a pure darkmoonstone and that saves huge grind ;_: if you get those trophies you save like 30% of the platinum time if not more, it sucks if 30% of playing the game is running in circles lol

those two trophies I REALLY would recommend getting if you ever do want to platinum it when servers go offline, rest aren't really sped up by online (unless you wanna drop every single weapon or ring in the game...)  maybe my rng with darkmoonstone was just bad, but average luck will take you like 5 hours to get pure bladestone

I really don't know anybody that have those stones and be willing to drop them to help me out honestly so yeah .