Crown question

cjl73185

Just like people pointed out - it's random. You won't get any crown on your first fight with a boss but after that it's all about being lucky and facing smallest/biggest monster.

You can start any quest, track a monster and see how small/big it is (might quit and re-enter the quest if you think the size is average ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

In older MH games there were special events when some monsters were always tiny / gigantic. I can't remember whether they gave you crowns.

I have a bunch of big crowns so far (I think 9) but I don't have any small crown. There must be some criteria otherwise I should have at least one small crown by now. Unfortunately I don't know what that is.

Maybe it has something to do with story progression. It's possible that the small crowns can only be obtained after the story.

no, it is simply entirely random unless there will be (online) events or Arena quests where you will always fight a big or small version of the specific monster.

I would be more interested in how many monsters "almost every monster in your hunting log" stands for. All the monsters except Elder Dragons? 80% of the monsters? 90%? 95%? It's not clear :(

9 hours ago, Sicho said:

no, it is simply entirely random unless there will be (online) events or Arena quests where you will always fight a big or small version of the specific monster.

I would be more interested in how many monsters "almost every monster in your hunting log" stands for. All the monsters except Elder Dragons? 80% of the monsters? 90%? 95%? It's not clear :(

I‘d go even further and say there will be some crowns for Elder Dragons. (Not all, especially the huge ones).

I have a bit over 30 hours now and only have two or three large crowns and no small crowns. This will be grindy, but I don‘t mind, my goal has always been getting every piece of equipment anyways. :D

• Like 1

Tomorrow i will do a little bit of Size-Research. I will stream it on twitch so check it out tomorrow ;)

I will test LR vs HR , Investigations and explorations , maybe available arena quest too.  This research is only to find out if there is a different between these modes. Of cause it doesnt help for HR only monster but if LR has smaller monster in average than maybe it helps grinding some LR crowns.

I personal think it is absolutly random, im 50h in , cleared story and only have 3 Big crowns. I will post my results here when i have some data.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, swweet said:

To make matters worse, it's looking like Giant Crown Collector and Giant Crown Master require GOLD Giant Crowns, and yes, they DO exist.

This is going to be a pain...

I doubt this is the case, my first giant was a silver crown and it unlocked the trophy for your first crown. Given its the same trophy description I would assume that any crown will count.

42 minutes ago, fisty123 said:

I doubt this is the case, my first giant was a silver crown and it unlocked the trophy for your first crown. Given its the same trophy description I would assume that any crown will count.

You'd think that, but I have 15 silver crowns, all large, and no Giant Crown Collector. Either the trophy is bugged or it requires gold.

1 hour ago, swweet said:

You'd think that, but I have 15 silver crowns, all large, and no Giant Crown Collector. Either the trophy is bugged or it requires gold.

Hopefully your post on the Capcom boards gets a response soon to confirm this, but if its Gold then this game's plat time is going to jump.

20 hours ago, Sicho said:

Kirin has a large crown so I can confirm elder dragon have them, like the other games

So my sitze research end pretty early because i releazed i cant see the monster size post kill if it is not a new record.

I wanted to write down every size of many HR and LR kills , but second kill didnt show me size because it was between my smallest and biggest.....

I've been playing MH since MH2 snd it's always been the same formula for EVERY MH so far. You're all going towards this slightly wrong; Size IS random BUT dependant on mission. For example in a previous MH game A gold crown seltas could only be found in 4, 6, or 7 star missions whilst small crown Seltas could only be found in 4, half of 6, and half of the 7 star missions.

So for example if you're running a 6 star mission in hopes of finding a small crown, you could do it 1000 times and no crown. MH world will be take time and effort from the community to gather which missions have which monster sizes.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2018 at 10:18 AM, Sicho said:

My guess is that it means “every monster except for Zorah Magdaros”, since his size appears to be fixed.

1 hour ago, LordNEET said:

I've been playing MH since MH2 snd it's always been the same formula for EVERY MH so far. You're all going towards this slightly wrong; Size IS random BUT dependant on mission. For example in a previous MH game A gold crown seltas could only be found in 4, 6, or 7 star missions whilst small crown Seltas could only be found in 4, half of 6, and half of the 7 star missions.

So for example if you're running a 6 star mission in hopes of finding a small crown, you could do it 1000 times and no crown. MH world will be take time and effort from the community to gather which missions have which monster sizes.

I have 6 silver Large crowns all come from quests rank 5 and below... Also seen reports that people are getting smaller crowns in the higher missions.

13 minutes ago, fisty123 said:

I have 6 silver Large crowns all come from quests rank 5 and below... Also seen reports that people are getting smaller crowns in the higher missions.

Yes, but monster size depends on missions.

So say you have a Dragon with Gold crown size of 1500m and a small crown of 670m.

Only certain missions have a chance of spawning 1500m and others 670m. 

So if a 670m dragon can only be spawned on missions 2,3,4 of a 6 star mission you will never find the small crown even if you play other missions 10,000 times. 

Size isn't dependant of Rank, it's dependant of certain missions, then RNG in those missions.

So it's entirely possible to get a gold large crown on a rank 2 mission and a small crown on a rank 6 as long as those are the missions with the size parameters for that monster.

What should be done here is people start recording missions when they get a crown and report it here so we know which missions spawn monster crown sizes.