Guide of the Year Awards 2017 - Results

BlindMango

3 minutes ago, Kallume said:

Now I feel bad... hmm... I don't thank the guide team enough... especially for my 50k word guide last year... You're loved and appreciated Dragon!! (And other guide team members)

Don't worry about it, I didn't mean for anyone to feel bad. Just expressed my surprise.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Thanks you guys, you're the best for making these guides. IDK what I'd do if I had to go into every game blind. I'd love to make a guide myself but I can only imagine the time and effort required >.<.

I'm going to borrow a quote from Uncharted here, but: greatness comes from small beginnings. If you're interested in trying it out, I recommend to do a guide for a DLC or a game without a platinum trophy, as those usually have a few trophies. That makes it excellent to see if you like it. And who knows, there might be a hidden guide writer in you. In case you want to give this a try, check out the Guide Manual too for some useful information.

• Like 4

May I say thank you, thank you, thank you, to all the players that take time time to put together a guide.  I know how difficult it is (I have tried and gave up!).  To the winners, WELL DONE!  I have used many of your guides, or just read them as they are so well done.  Kudos to you!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NEPFANB said:

this is fucking bullshit as much as i love nis america just why danganronpa should'int be one of first three hyper dimension neptunia games they made before the franchise is now with idea factory and compile heart who are two company's that made the franchise and it has 14 games (4 main games 4 main game remakes and 8 spinoffs) hyper dimension neptunia even had a anime and manga's and merchandise and i do love idea factory and compile heart a lot more and as for persona 5 just why

Nani the hell? o.o This is about guides, not about games o.o

Also, NISA does not equal Neptunia btw. 

NISA equals crap translation :awesome:

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 11:10 PM, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Thanks you guys, you're the best for making these guides. IDK what I'd do if I had to go into every game blind. I'd love to make a guide myself but I can only imagine the time and effort required >.<.

As someone who got into guide writing in the past year, there are a couple of things I learned whilst thinking about a guide or in the process of writing one:

• Start with smaller games / games with fewer trophies than normal (or DLC): Starting with smaller games tend to make it easier to compile information and to keep everything in order. Once you get a smaller game finished, then you'll be better off at trying a game with more trophies or larger in scope.
  • Don't fry your mind: It's great to enjoy writing your guide, but don't allow it to consume too much time. If it does, then you may end up making mistakes in terms of spelling and proper grammar / punctuation. Sit down, work on it for an entry or two, and take at least a small break. On my CoD WWII guide, I wrote it in a relatively small amount of time. Due to that, I went back recently and noticed that I made a couple of small spelling and punctuation errors and then corrected them.

Along with that, it's very important to check out Sly Ripper's Guide on Writing a Trophy Guide. It helped me a ton when I started and it has a lot of great details on starting a guide and how to go about making one.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2018 at 5:21 PM, ARB1992 said:

As someone who got into guide writing in the past year, there are a couple of things I learned whilst thinking about a guide or in the process of writing one:

• Start with smaller games / games with fewer trophies than normal (or DLC): Starting with smaller games tend to make it easier to compile information and to keep everything in order. Once you get a smaller game finished, then you'll be better off at trying a game with more trophies or larger in scope.
  • Don't fry your mind: It's great to enjoy writing your guide, but don't allow it to consume too much time. If it does, then you may end up making mistakes in terms of spelling and proper grammar / punctuation. Sit down, work on it for an entry or two, and take at least a small break. On my CoD WWII guide, I wrote it in a relatively small amount of time. Due to that, I went back recently and noticed that I made a couple of small spelling and punctuation errors and then corrected them.

Along with that, it's very important to check out Sly Ripper's Guide on Writing a Trophy Guide. It helped me a ton when I started and it has a lot of great details on starting a guide and how to go about making one.

This is solid advice. First and foremost, enjoy the video game or DLC, whatever it may be, there probably isn't any real rush. Take your time and fine tune any piece of work you can put together until you are happy with it, and it provides the ample information you set out to convey in the first place. This can be applied to almost any kind of writing, but especially guides. Push yourself and the guide to the limits and you can do great things.

Edited by ManaFear
  • Like 1